The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: Have you had enough of Wolverine hogging the spotlight?
Yes 85 68.00%
No 40 32.00%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #151
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Are you tired of Wolverine being overexposed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Then again, Logan's latest solo film isn't exactly doing gangbusters. I think people overestimate how much of a draw Wolverine is.
Competely.

And what baffles me is that they seem to think they can just keep making movie after movie with him at the centre and the GA aren't going to get a bit bored with it?

Seriously, no one I know in 'real life' has bothered to see The Wolverine. Most of the time, when I talk about it, people say 'wait, they made ANOTHER Wolverine movie?'.

Beyond that, I personally always liked Wolverine as a side character, but I really don't find he holds my interest as a main character at all.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #152
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Then again, Logan's latest solo film isn't exactly doing gangbusters. I think people overestimate how much of a draw Wolverine is.
Ive been thinking that since day one.

The Wolverine being the first x-men movie released in 3D, with Jean Grey appearing in the movie too, (with Famke, from original trilogy) and on the year Hugh has been nominated for the Oscars for such a famous movie as The Misserables, and ends being the lowest X-Men movie in USA.

If that doesnt mean anything, then no need to discuss anymore, lol.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #153
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Ive been thinking that since day one.

The Wolverine being the first x-men movie released in 3D, with Jean Grey appearing in the movie too, (with Famke, from original trilogy) and on the year Hugh has been nominated for the Oscars for such a famous movie as The Misserables, and ends being the lowest X-Men movie in USA.

If that doesnt mean anything, then no need to discuss anymore, lol.
The Les Mis target audience isn't exactly the X-Men target audience. You don't see a subforum for musicals here, do you? That, and even Hugh's nomination for it, was never going to sway much of the Les Mis crowd to see any X-Men movie for the first time after that. I have relatives who sobbed buckets at Les Mis, but still have no interest in seeing any of the X-Men movies. Trust me, a lot of Hugh's theater fans will be more than happy when he's done with this role.

3D likely worked against it because people don't want to shell out more for a ticket, especially those still wary after the last film, so they skipped it. Famke's return was probably only interesting to X-Men fans, although most of them never liked the way the Logan/Jean relationship was played in the films, so that wasn't likely to bring them, to the theater faster either.

The Wolverine is underperforming domestically for sure, but it's mostly suffering from the same fallout FC did: poorly received previous movies, lousy trailers, and a bad marketing campaign.

Despite the underperformance of both films, what they lost in box office they do seem to have gained back in goodwill amongst fans, which bodes well for DOFP.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #154
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Some people feel like awards snub popular films.

Fox did bad job of promating the wolverine as they did first Class

A lot of july/August releases are underperforming this year with exception of despectable Me 2.

Just like the comics not everyone who pays to see full X-Men will tune In for solo character.

Although I consider the wolverine to be second best film In series I feel after doing the japanese saga they need to stop doing solo films for wolverine and confine wolverine to X_Men films or role In X-Force.

Anyone cheering the wolverine underperforming Isn't helping the franchise.

The future of franchise is dependent on sucess of DOFP

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #155
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Competely.

And what baffles me is that they seem to think they can just keep making movie after movie with him at the centre and the GA aren't going to get a bit bored with it?
Just like others continue to make movie after movie with Batman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Superman ect... Damn them!

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 08-21-2013 at 02:39 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #156
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Well, the performance of The Wolverine must be taken as a sure sign to focus on other characters too.

Even if we take into account the film's Japan setting (perhaps offputting to insular American viewers), the lack of other big names (aside from Famke, who isn't really a box office draw anyway), and other factors, it does show Wolverine is not enough on his own, despite what Fox execs keep doing. (And i agree with the poor marketing and crappy trailers not helping either).

The other X-Men (aside from Xavier, Magneto and now Mystique) are so thinly characterised that they can't really support solo movies, so the right thing to do is to spread the characterisation around a bit in the team movies.

Expanding the universe can't happen if it's always about Wolverine.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #157
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Just like others continue to make movie after movie with Batman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Superman ect... Damn them!
Aside from Iron Man, those others are solo heroes for the most part.

Iron Man has only been in four movies - three solo flicks and Avengers. The performance of the first solo movie justified the other lead roles, and Avengers gave his own third solo movie a massive boost. We'll see in a few months if that same boost applies to Thor and, next year, to Captain America.

Wolverine hasn't really enjoyed the same success, despite what they keep trying to do.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #158
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

there is definitely some wolverine fatigue i think

Old 08-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #159
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

[QUOTE=X-Maniac;26689533]Aside from Iron Man, those others are solo heroes for the most part.[/qoute]

So is Wolverine, he's the only X-Men character to also be a solo hero, in a series at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Iron Man has only been in four movies
Wolverine has only been in five and much more spread out. Not much difference granted

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #160
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Wolverine has only been in five and much more spread out. Not much difference granted
Except at the box office. And that has to be a lesson for someone to learn somewhere.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #161
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Well, the performance of The Wolverine must be taken as a sure sign to focus on other characters too.

Even if we take into account the film's Japan setting (perhaps offputting to insular American viewers), the lack of other big names (aside from Famke, who isn't really a box office draw anyway), and other factors, it does show Wolverine is not enough on his own, despite what Fox execs keep doing. (And i agree with the poor marketing and crappy trailers not helping either).

The other X-Men (aside from Xavier, Magneto and now Mystique) are so thinly characterised that they can't really support solo movies, so the right thing to do is to spread the characterisation around a bit in the team movies.

Agreed.

He's my favorite character, I love the new Wolverine movie, and I'd love to see a follow up film at some point...but is time to get the band back together and expand on this franchise even more.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #162
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple

Quote:

I love it and I totally agree with you.

Storm #3-September 24 2014-Please support our Goddess
BeholdMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #163
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
But the Wolverine movies that they made just weren't that good. Moviegoers have now learned that when they see a Wolverine movie they are seeing spin off that is of lower quality than the core series.

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #164
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

1/2 were good

Old 08-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #165
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion View Post
But the Wolverine movies that they made just weren't that good. Moviegoers have now learned that when they see a Wolverine movie they are seeing spin off that is of lower quality than the core series.
Iron Man 3 wasn't that good and it made a billionaire dollars

Man of Steel wasn't that good, and its the second biggest film of the year.

Batman Begins had the same problems Wolverine did: bad marketing and a bad previous film. Didn't stop the film from having the legs to make a good profit.

Wolverine just isn't a great a draw as people think. It's becoming clear, IMO that for the GA, an ideal X flick is not just Logan solo, but Logan and other known X characters.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:17 PM   #166
georgec
Not a hero

I'm not surprised Wolverine became a central part of the X-Men film saga, and I've enjoyed his role and portrayal by Jackman. However, I think it's time to let the other characters breathe a bit more.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #167
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
So did First Class underperform because "it wasn't that good" too? It was a vast improvement over X3 and Origins, but people stayed away because they were burned by the previous two films.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion, but The Wolverine was actually pretty damn good. It rated highly on here, and speaking from a mod's perspective, it's been the only major superhero film this summer that didn't have us breaking up fights or pulling hysterical fans off off the ledge over the RT score. And it certainly wasn't of the "lower quality" that marred the two lowest points of the series.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #168
Legion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
So did First Class underperform because "it wasn't that good" too? It was a vast improvement over X3 and Origins, but people stayed away because they were burned by the previous two films.

Of course, it's all a matter of opinion, but The Wolverine was actually pretty damn good. It rated highly on here, and speaking from a mod's perspective, it's been the only major superhero film this summer that didn't have us breaking up fights or pulling hysterical fans off off the ledge over the RT score. And it certainly wasn't of the "lower quality" that marred the two lowest points of the series.
X-Men: First Class was a great movie that followed two mediocre films. It also didn't feature the A list characters viewers had come accustomed to. People just weren't that interested in seeing it when it was released.

The Wolverine followed X-Men: First Class so do you think The Wolverine was "burned" by First Class?

On Rotten Tomatoes The Wolverine has a score of 69% for all critics, 62% for top critics, and 73 % of the audience liked it. X-Men First Class: 87% all critics, 70% top critics, and 87% for the audience.

The Wolverine under performed and the reviews weren't exactly amazing either. It followed a good movie with good reviews. Many people on this forum consider FC to be a contender for the best X-Film. I'd say that the under performance and the reviews together reflect the quality of the film. Which is not to say it was bad but it was "OK".

I don't think people are tired of the character but when they saw the trailer for The Wolverine and it looked a lot like the trailer for the last Wolverine movie but this time with ninjas, they probably were not that excited for it. I haven't talked to anyone outside of this forum that saw the movie and was blown away by it.

It wasn't a bad movie, it was just "OK". It's not cheap to take your family to the movies. People don't want to pay to see a movie that's "OK".

It looks like Wolverine is set to take the lead in DOFP. Does that mean we should expect DOFP to under perform because people are tired of the character?

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #169
georgec
Not a hero

For some reason The Wolverine just didn't seem like it had a lot of hype coming into the release.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #170
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
For some reason The Wolverine just didn't seem like it had a lot of hype coming into the release.
It really didn't...but it seems to be somewhat of a sleeper hit...if we're now calling $335 million WW and counting a sleeper hit

Snikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #171
Loki882
Side-Kick

The Wolverine also had to contend with MOS, which was the first Superman movie since 2006, and IM 3, which had RDJ and was riding the success of the Avengers. Also, the movie has been doing quite well overseas, so people seem to be exaggerating its underperformance. The marketing wasn't the best either and they waited too long.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #172
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
X-Men: First Class was a great movie that followed two mediocre films. It also didn't feature the A list characters viewers had come accustomed to. People just weren't that interested in seeing it when it was released.

The Wolverine followed X-Men: First Class so do you think The Wolverine was "burned" by First Class?

On Rotten Tomatoes The Wolverine has a score of 69% for all critics, 62% for top critics, and 73 % of the audience liked it. X-Men First Class: 87% all critics, 70% top critics, and 87% for the audience.

The Wolverine under performed and the reviews weren't exactly amazing either. It followed a good movie with good reviews. Many people on this forum consider FC to be a contender for the best X-Film. I'd say that the under performance and the reviews together reflect the quality of the film. Which is not to say it was bad but it was "OK".

I don't think people are tired of the character but when they saw the trailer for The Wolverine and it looked a lot like the trailer for the last Wolverine movie but this time with ninjas, they probably were not that excited for it. I haven't talked to anyone outside of this forum that saw the movie and was blown away by it.

It wasn't a bad movie, it was just "OK". It's not cheap to take your family to the movies. People don't want to pay to see a movie that's "OK".

It looks like Wolverine is set to take the lead in DOFP. Does that mean we should expect DOFP to under perform because people are tired of the character?
No, The Wolverine still had to overcome its last solo film, which was something of a disaster. The trailers did nothing to convince wary audiences had this film was going to be any different from the last film. FC may have helped restore the faith amongst fans little bit...but then again, FC didn't draw the kind of numbers that would have provided a complete turnaround reception for this film.

But it was far better received than the first film was, despite underperforming at the box office. I'm not arguing on whether or not its underperforming at the box office (it is), but as far as quality - it's so much better than the first film.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #173
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
The Wolverine also had to contend with MOS, which was the first Superman movie since 2006, and IM 3, which had RDJ and was riding the success of the Avengers. Also, the movie has been doing quite well overseas, so people seem to be exaggerating its underperformance. The marketing wasn't the best either and they waited too long.
Neither of those were really competition, since they'd both pretty much wrapped up their box office runs by the time The Wolverine opened.

If the studio believed The Wolverine was going to bring in those kinds of numbers, they wouldn't have released it at the end of July. Obviously, they weren't anticipating that kind of opening weekend. However, it did open much lower than it was tracking, and it did underperform domestically, although it stabilized much better in its second weekend than Origins did, which indicated decent word-of-mouth.

It's actually doing fine, since its budget was fairly small and its doing much bigger numbers overseas - and it's set to open in Japan next month. Should do well on video too, especially if we get that unrated blu-ray we keep hearing about.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #174
Loki882
Side-Kick

I meant competition in the sense that both of those other films were hugely anticipated, and I think that TW kind of got lost in the shuffle (the marketing department didn't do the best job either). If they can keep the budget down and make money, then of course Fox will make more Wolverine films (Wolverine/Yukio in Russia with Omega Red and Spiral as villains).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:11 AM   #175
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

The Wolverine didn't outgross First Class at the domestic box-office but given all the factors that the movie had

-limited amount of mutants in the film
-lack of well-known actors, they didn't really shown Famke in trailers and tv spots
-late start for marketing
-small-scaled film

It still did well especially considering that the film had a $120 million budget. FOX marketed the movie as a "Hugh Jackman" film, a 100% Wolverine film. They didn't do that in X3/Origins. All X-Men films except for The Wolverine were marketed as ensemble films and in TV spots and trailers, you can see that they really showcased a lot of mutants to get people's attention and to make them watch the movie. FOX's marketing to The Wolverine didn't do that.

Wolverine is still a big draw to this series. Can you really picture another X-Men character to have his name on the title of the movie and sell more than $100 million (domestic) and $300 million worldwide. Wolverine is the only X-Men character that can do that.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote