The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Misc. Comics

Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Angry What's up with Mark Millar and his hyper violent comics?

Anyone getting sick of Mark Millar's hyper violent, overhyped work along with cliche recycled characters. I mean how does this guy get paid for putting out crap in the likes of Wanted and Kick-Ass and turning them into profitable movie spectacle.

Oh, I just created a CB character named Sh**head - A creature made of the feces of the 666 most evil people in the world.
How innovative and artistic is that? Yeah, fast food generation kids will love it and think they will be cool like the brilliant characters I come up with.

And what's with that obsession with the rape thing his villains like to practice? Bravo Millar, thank God you exist to elevate Art and Comic Book characters with your innovative approach in each mediocrity you put out.

Last edited by Alex_Spider; 08-19-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Piper Maru
Side-Kick

Default Re: What's up with Mark Millar and his hyper violent comics?

What's the deal with airplane peanuts?

Piper Maru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Whaaaat's the deaaal with the Mark Millaaarrr comics? Whyyyyy are they so violent? And what's the deeeaaal with missing socks from the dryyyeeer? I doooon't knooooow.

*Seinfeld music fades out*

JJJ's Ulcer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

So I guess I am in the minority of people that dislike his work?

Old 08-17-2013, 03:50 AM   #5
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Millar's kind of like the Quentin Tarantino of comics so people really dig that.

I'm not a huge fan, but he has this really over the top, big explosions, shock-value style that fans find appealing.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
Lord
All Mighty

He's not the Tarantino of Comics at all, he's more like Michael Bay, you look at his latest comics and it's mostly shock value for the sake of the it while the plot and characters are minimal (Tarantino isn't like that).

With Kick-Ass it was an interesting story, his comic was a little dumb, then the film came and improved the comic story a lot, made the tone make more sence for the tale they were telling, added more to the characters and was funnier. I really liked the film, but the comic was nothing special.

I haven't watched Kick-Ass 2 but i read the comic, so i can see why the film is getting so many negative reviews.

There are some very good Millar books though, i love his run on The Ultimates 1 and 2, and even his Ultimate Avengers comics were enjoyable, his books that would work better as movies are actually those with previously created characters

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
He's not the Tarantino of Comics at all, he's more like Michael Bay, you look at his latest comics and it's mostly shock value for the sake of the it while the plot and characters are minimal (Tarantino isn't like that).

With Kick-Ass it was an interesting story, his comic was a little dumb, then the film came and improved the comic story a lot, made the tone make more sence for the tale they were telling, added more to the characters and was funnier. I really liked the film, but the comic was nothing special.

I haven't watched Kick-Ass 2 but i read the comic, so i can see why the film is getting so many negative reviews.

There are some very good Millar books though, i love his run on The Ultimates 1 and 2, and even his Ultimate Avengers comics were enjoyable, his books that would work better as movies are actually those with previously created characters
Oh please Michael Bay was the wrong comparison. Michael Bay isn't about shock value. He's about eye candy. Less shock, more awe. And there's a huge difference.

If I had to choose a director to compare Mark Millar to it'd be like Robert Rodriguez (who is basically the characterization-less Tarantino) or possibly David Cronenberg (who lives on shock factor).

We all know who the Michael Bay of comics is, and he's not a writer:

Old 08-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
JJJ's Ulcer

Seriously now, I haven't read many Millar stories. Just a great Marvel Knights Spider-Man story in the early 00's and the first Kick Ass, which I also liked. Though I have heard people say he's excessive and I can understand that, Alex's rant about him seems a little strong and personal. He's not currently writing any flagship characters to my knowledge, so just don't buy his books. Did bashing the guy really require its own thread?

Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

What's wrong with creating a thread about a comic book writer that I dislike? Am I not allowed to? By your logic, if you like his work then you are not forced to take part in the discussion or you can as well create a praising thread on him. Obviously my rant is a bit strong because I wanted to point out his mediocre artistic choices. Seems like you took my rant a little personal.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
What's wrong with creating a thread about a comic book writer that I dislike? Am I not allowed to? By your logic, if you like his work then you are not forced to take part in the discussion or you can as well create a praising thread on him. Obviously my rant is a bit strong because I wanted to point out his mediocre artistic choices. Seems like you took my rant a little personal.
You're allowed to. I just think a thread aimed at bashing anyone is generally in bad taste. It also starts the discussion on a pretty negative footing.

"My mum always said 'if someone doesn't like you, **** 'em. They've got bad taste.'" ~ Bob Hoskins on confidence.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
You're allowed to. I just think a thread aimed at bashing anyone is generally in bad taste. It also starts the discussion on a pretty negative footing.
But people do this all the time in public forums. That's how it works. We all have our likes and dislikes and we share them with other people. And it's not like I stated I wish Millar to die or for something bad to happen to him lol. All the negativity is aimed towards his artistic choices alone.

Last edited by Alex_Spider; 08-17-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Alex_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

I don't think of Millar's violence as you know real violence. Its graphic/pulpy Kill Bill blood shower violence appropriate for such comics. I don't really take him very seriously but i do enjoy his work. He is a smart fella and a quite good writer. Wanted was a pretty awesome idea and it was executed really, really well so was Kick Ass 1, Kick Ass 2 i felt was ok but he really went for shock value and the excuses that "He tried to show realisticaly how superheroes would work if they existed" is BS. I don't think i will even bother with Kick Ass 3 and Hit Girl. I have no interest in them. It think it kinda lost its charm and the Kick Ass 2 movie didn't help. While an enjoyable movie, it was, and i hate to say that dumb pretentious word, more "mainstream". Made for a larger audience while it shouldn't because it alienated the audience of the first film, comic book fans and normal movie goers who appreciate graphic violence and humour.

His main problem is that he thinks he is this genius writer and genius guy in general and everybody else and especially the mofos who read his BS are just dumb. He always insults his readers though his characters (ex Wanted, Kick Ass, Civil War(kinda)) thinking he is above them. It was cute but it may have gotten old.

Anyway, I enjoy his work, i appreciate his talent. I am sure if you are a fairly smart cookie you will have plenty of fun because you will not get offended by his work otherwise have fun complaining. Hey its all fun around here !

Ps : Red Son is f-ing A-M-A-Z-I-N-G !

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #13
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Yeah I agree with your analysis. Red Son and the stuff he did to the Ultimate Avengers were impressive although I never was a fan of the character concept and the direction in general of the "Ultimates". It's just this fast food mentality that gets popularity of creating CB characters that don't have any thought behind them or any artistic value whatsoever.

I guess I am more a fan of traditional storytelling and not over the top extravaganza in the vein of Wanted and Kick Ass that are based in shock value.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #14
Lord
All Mighty

The Ultimates characters may be jackasses compared to the original but there is artistic value to their characters and general plot, each character there represented a political view. The Ultimates 1 and 2 are not fast food at all, let's face it, if a Captain America had existed he would have been closer to the one in the Ultimates, still with an WWII mood and kind of racist, the one we usually get is actually a little too tame considering his times.

I also don't see the criticsm of Hippie Thor, the character was very entertaining. The Ultimates had characters behind them, Mark Millar hadn't reached the fast food character creating machine yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Oh please Michael Bay was the wrong comparison. Michael Bay isn't about shock value. He's about eye candy. Less shock, more awe. And there's a huge difference.

If I had to choose a director to compare Mark Millar to it'd be like Robert Rodriguez (who is basically the characterization-less Tarantino) or possibly David Cronenberg (who lives on shock factor).

We all know who the Michael Bay of comics is, and he's not a writer:
Uhm, i disagree. You see, Michael Bay does know how to put together a film and has an eye for action, he's just lost between dumb jokes that don't belong in the story (kind of like Millar).

If that there is Rob Liefeld then he's the Uwe Boll of comics.

Quote:
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 08-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
Octoberist
point blank

At first it was a novety, with Millar's more violent work. But after a while and before his 'Jupiter' comic book, I noticed a trend and it seemed like 'ultra violence' was almost a crutch for 'shock value' than a 'style'.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #16
Octoberist
point blank

My issue with Millar isn't his writing; he's a great business man and from time to time, he'll write something a bit low key, but mainly his more recent comics feel like 'pitches' for movies. He'll deny all he wants, but something like 'Nemesis' was - in my eyes - an obvious attempt at 'I wanna make a movie out of this' from the get-go.

That being said, and this is only a personality thing, he tends to be overly hyperbolic. Almost to the point where he comes off as a...lier. He's calm down recently, but man, in interviews and on twitter, he was all over the place.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #17
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
So I guess I am in the minority of people that dislike his work?
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
My issue with Millar isn't his writing; he's a great business man and from time to time, he'll write something a bit low key, but mainly his more recent comics feel like 'pitches' for movies. He'll deny all he wants, but something like 'Nemesis' was - in my eyes - an obvious attempt at 'I wanna make a movie out of this' from the get-go.

That being said, and this is only a personality thing, he tends to be overly hyperbolic. Almost to the point where he comes off as a...lier. He's calm down recently, but man, in interviews and on twitter, he was all over the place.
Nemesis is one of the worst things I think I've had the displeasure of reading (flipping through in the book store) lately. Absolute garbage.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I really enjoy his Ultimate work...have not read anything else outside of Civil War in the 616, tho. Civil War had a lot of good ideas that were lost in the execution.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #19
DocHolliday
Side-Kick

He's a third-rate Garth Ennis that pretends he likes superheroes. At least Ennis knows enough to stay away from mainstream superhero books but Millar likes to pretend he can pull off writing a superhero story in an inventive way(like Alan Moore used to with his DC stuff in the 80s). Whereas Moore's stuff was mostly great, Millar's output is almost always terrible.

He occasionally has good ideas(more like movie pitches) but almost always screws them up with his inability to write good stories. Possibly the worst writer in the business today. People will look back at his comics twenty years from now with the same disdain they had for 90s Image junk.

Last edited by DocHolliday; 09-09-2013 at 10:05 AM.
DocHolliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
Alex_Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
He's a third-rate Garth Ennis that pretends he likes superheroes. At least Ennis knows enough to stay away from mainstream superhero books but Millar likes to pretend he can pull off writing a superhero story in an inventive way(like Alan Moore used to with his DC stuff in the 80s). Whereas Moore's stuff was mostly great, Millar's output is almost always terrible.

He occasionally has good ideas(more like movie pitches) but almost always screws them up with his inability to write good stories. Possibly the worst writer in the business today. People will look back at his comics twenty years from now with the same disdain they had for 90s Image junk.
Very good points.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #21
Lord
All Mighty

His work on The Ultimates was very good though.

Quote:
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #22
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

His Ultimate work is top-notch, and Civil War had some ideas, which were sadly lost in the execution.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote