The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #251
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 4

Just watched the movie again on TV and I stand by what I said earlier. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed Nicholson's performance... it was like it hit me all over again.

Batman has (minus a few shots) NEVER looked better than he did in the Burton movies.

You should do some side by side gifs of Keaton in both suits Kane. It's hard to pick which one I prefer.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 12-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #252
shauner111
Side-Kick

I watched it recently, as i have it on blu-ray now. I enjoyed it again but the acting and screenplay is a little too cheesy for my current tastes in film. There's that nostalgic feeling that comes back from my childhood when i see Keaton in the suit or even Nicholson once he becomes the Joker. But i still dont think it's a very good movie.

I still have a lot of favorite scenes though. Good memories.

Perfect movies for my childhood. They were dark comedies. But they dont really jibe with the dark/serious Batman that ive wanted to see since my teens, which is still how i want to see Batman on film.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #253
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
Just watched the movie again on TV and I stand by what I said earlier. I was amazed at how much I enjoyed Nicholson's performance... it was like it hit me all over again.

Batman has (minus a few shots) NEVER looked better than he did in the Burton movies.

You should do some side by side gifs of Keaton in both suits Kane. It's hard to pick which one I prefer.
Nicholson was ****ing awesome.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #254
shauner111
Side-Kick

Yeah he's definitely the highlight.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #255
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Yeah he's definitely the highlight.
One of many highlights, if you ask me.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #256
shauner111
Side-Kick

Meh. Keaton was a highlight, as were the vehicles and designs. But i cant think of anything else that stands out in the movie. It's mainly the visuals and the performance of the two leads.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #257
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Meh. Keaton was a highlight, as were the vehicles and designs. But i cant think of anything else that stands out in the movie. It's mainly the visuals and the performance of the two leads.
Nicholson, Keaton, the score, the visuals, the story, well-written script, characterization of Bruce/Batman, characterization of the Joker, among others. The film itself is an excellent exploration of the psyche. Not only of Batman's, but of those people whose lives he changes with his presence.

It's fine that it's not really your cup of tea, but there are plenty if great things about this film.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #258
shauner111
Side-Kick

Horribly written script, not the best characterization of Bruce Wayne, doesn't have much substance. It's strong points are the score, visuals, Nicholson, Keaton.

It was my cup of tea when i was a kid, and i can be fully entertained if i watch some individual scenes. But that's about it now.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #259
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Horribly written script, not the best characterization of Bruce Wayne, doesn't have much substance. It's strong points are the score, visuals, Nicholson, Keaton.

It was my cup of tea when i was a kid, and i can be fully entertained if i watch some individual scenes. But that's about it now.
Jeez. I think there's a whole lot of people who would vehemently disagree with you.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #260
shauner111
Side-Kick

These are my exact thoughts on this movie. This review could have been done by me, pretty much.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

And as referenced at the end of that video, here is Roger Ebert's review from back in 1989, which is another accurate review IMO..

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/batman-1989

Last edited by shauner111; 12-09-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #261
regwec
Shakespearo

Shauner has been on my ignore list for a while, largely because he feels compelled by some kind of emotional complex to permanently troll the Burton threads. I'd be grateful if you would refrain from quoting him, so that I am spared the BS.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #262
shauner111
Side-Kick

Im not trolling it, im allowed to have my opinions. I dont hate these movies and feel some need to just troll people. I loved them as a kid and im posting my thoughts. I can easily ignore many people on here but i dont. Maybe it's because i have respect. It seems like others don't i guess.

Refrain from quoting me? Maybe you can just ignore me or dont come into the thread? Who are you to feel more entitled than others?

A lot of other ppl share the opinions that i have for Burton's movies. Is Roger Ebert not allowed to express that? give me a break.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #263
shauner111
Side-Kick

People come into the Nolan threads and just bash every living thing about it. Yet i cant come in and show my current opinions within a Burton thread, about a movie i used to enjoy a little more than i do now. That's what you call ridiculous. Ive been putting up with people doing it in TDK trilogy films, and now theyll have to deal with me showing my opinions for the Burton movies.

As a matter of fact, i wont be returning to the Burton threads since it's just not worth it.

Last edited by shauner111; 12-09-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #264
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Shauner, since you're on his ignore list, I'm afraid he won't be able to read those responses. I will quote your final sentence, though, since it seems appropriate for this encounter:

Quote:
As a matter of fact, i wont be returning to the Burton threads since it's just not worth it.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #265
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I feel that this movie has become highly underrated since people started putting Nolan on a pedestal.

After watching it again today, everything just screamed at me. The visuals, the suit, the car, the score, Keaton and Nicholson. It's pure undiluted Batman that no one but Burton has quite captured in live-action.

The story may not be perfect but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Minus the Prince songs and the odd bit of sluggish pacing... I thinks it's aged wonderfully.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 12-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #266
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
I feel that this movie has become highly underrated since people started putting Nolan on a pedestal.

After watching it again today, everything just screamed at me. The visuals, the suit, the car, the score, Keaton and Nicholson. It's pure undiluted Batman that no one but Burton has quite captured in live-action.

The story may not be perfect but the positives far outweigh the negatives. Minus the Prince songs and the odd bit of sluggish pacing... I thinks it's aged wonderfully.
When I was younger, I mostly just appreciated the scenes with either Batman or the Joker. The rest of the movie didn't matter too much to me, as I used to simply fast forward my VHS to my favorite part. But watching the movie when you're older, you're able to realize the complete picture of it all. All of the nuances, subplots, and side characters matter. The themes carry weight.

As I've said before, it's as valid of an interpretation of Batman as Nolan's films. I just don't think Batman Returns capitalized on what B89 had established so well.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #267
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
Shauner, since you're on his ignore list, I'm afraid he won't be able to read those responses. I will quote your final sentence, though, since it seems appropriate for this encounter:
You should have quoted the rest because it relates to him and his "ignorance".

Old 12-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #268
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
People come into the Nolan threads and just bash every living thing about it. Yet i cant come in and show my current opinions within a Burton thread, about a movie i used to enjoy a little more than i do now. That's what you call ridiculous. Ive been putting up with people doing it in TDK trilogy films, and now theyll have to deal with me showing my opinions for the Burton movies.
I have to admit Shauner has a point here. There was a healthy dose of Anne Hathaway Catwoman bashing going on in the Batman Returns thread a few days ago. I didn't see anyone kicking up a fuss over that.

But anyone gets critical about Burton's movies in their own threads (which are general discussion threads for them not fan threads) and it's severely frown upon. Sounds like a double standard to me.

- The Joker
Old 12-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #269
Travesty
TEOL

And now it's time for "who do you trust"! Hubba, hubba, hubba! Money, money, money! Who do you trust?!?!

Old 12-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #270
DCW
Side-Kick

He's at home! Washing his tights!

Thanks do the great gifs Kane, would love to see some Returns ones sometime.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #271
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I have to admit Shauner has a point here. There was a healthy dose of Anne Hathaway Catwoman bashing going on in the Batman Returns thread a few days ago. I didn't see anyone kicking up a fuss over that.

But anyone gets critical about Burton's movies in their own threads (which are general discussion threads for them not fan threads) and it's severely frown upon. Sounds like a double standard to me.
You see, I don't think it is a double standard. Being a permanent fixture in a thread where you consistently slam the topic in hand is different to bashing other things in said thread. I don't like the Avengers, but diplomacy leads me to forbear from saying so in Avengers threads.

Anyway- water under the bridge, no hard feelings, life's too short etc etc.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #272
Travesty
TEOL

I've seen you bash The Avengers in The Avengers thread.

REGWECCCCCCCC!!!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 12-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #273
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:

Personally, I think I actually started underrating this movie due to my preference of Returns for a while. As a teenager I saw '89 as the more commercial one and Returns as the more artistic one, so naturally I was favoring Returns. But lately I find myself feeling kind of over Returns and annoyed by it in a lot of ways, and just appreciating the iconic simplicity of Batman. I still do love both, they are after all a gigantic piece of my childhood, but after years of liking Returns more I've finally come back around to '89.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 12-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #274
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

He just came in the mail today, this is the figure I've been waiting my whole life for.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #275
Doc Ock
Hellboy for Halloween?

That figure, needs a pedestal.