The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #101
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Some place, Some Where, Next Door
Posts: 15,671
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

I watched it the other day, and I think it was great.

Not that much better than the first (which was fantastic), but not any worse.

8/10.

The only flaw I found with it was that it was too short. 1 hour and 36 minutes was too short.

It DEFINITELY would've benefited from being 2 hours. And not to say that it couldn't have been good with the runtime it had, the first one didn't even break one hour and a half, but still. The story for this one felt like it needed more time to be fleshed out.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #102
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Some place, Some Where, Next Door
Posts: 15,671
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

One more thing, I was shocked to see that they kept the rape scene, albeit with Night B***h rather than Katie.

Though, it wasn't as overt as I feared it would be.

It was..... subtle, if you will.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 08-21-2013 at 07:59 AM.
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #103
Thoix
Side-Kick
 
Thoix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 520
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
I watched it the other day, and I think it was great.

Not that much better than the first (which was fantastic), but not any worse.

8/10.

The only flaw I found with it was that it was too short. 1 hour and 36 minutes was too short.

It DEFINITELY would've benefited from being 2 hours. And not to say that it couldn't have been good with the runtime it had, the first one didn't even break one hour and a half, but still. The story for this one felt like it needed more time to be fleshed out.
Agreed. The extra twenty minutes could have helped the pacing and even flesh out some characters a bit more. Other than that, I thought it was great too.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #104
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,038
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooJay View Post
Just saw the movie, thought it was pretty awesome, as good as the first.

I'm shocked that there isn't more discussion about Iain Glen (Uncle Ralph) and how closely he resembles Jack Nicholson during the prison visit scene. His smile alone evoked so many memories of the Joker. I really do hope he gets consideration to play that role someday. It's funny, because he bares a striking resemblance to Bryan Cranston as well, who would make a phenomenal Lex Luthor.
I thought he was terrific. The idea of him coming after Kick-Ass or Hit-Girl in a third would have been awesome. It's a shame we'll never see it.

But yes, he is a very underrated actor. And that scene where he stares Chris down and has John Leguizamo killed? Probably the scene that came closest to capturing that level of shocking intensity that was sprinkled throughout the first.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #105
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick
 
8Diagrams(WU)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Slums of Shaolin
Posts: 971
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Didnt like the movie. The novelty wears off with the first one. These characters and style are more for cult dtdvd movies.

8Diagrams(WU) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #106
warhorse78
Side-Kick
 
warhorse78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatehero View Post
/\
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Hit Girl didn't seem to be Dave's love interest. Hit Girl seemed to have a crush on Dave. Dave views her as his little sister who surprised him by kissing him.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Remember The Fast and the Furious, when Vin's sis and Paul Walker were talking about how the gang came to be, and Michelle's character always had a crush on Vin since they were little, but he never paid much attention to her, until she turned 16 and filled out, well, I see the same thing happening between Dave and Mindy.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #107
warhorse78
Side-Kick
 
warhorse78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Well read through mine. Now that I've seen the movie a second time, you pick up them laying seeds where Dave keeps saying "It's not like you'd ever date anyone!" and Mindy being jealous of "Night-Whore" and "You don't know a thing about me, Dave."

It's basic rom-com writing. She's interested, he's oblivious. The only reason they didn't get further than the "revelation" scene is because a) they want a sequel and b) it is still gross. If they get a third film, that is the direction this writing is going.
I see this too. And, if there is a third installment (don't see why not, how many freaking SAW movies are there out there, couldn't be too hard to finish the trilogy of Kick Ass) they will wait till Moretz is probably 17 so they can film more adult scenes.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #108
K.Cruz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 34
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Remember The Fast and the Furious, when Vin's sis and Paul Walker were talking about how the gang came to be, and Michelle's character always had a crush on Vin since they were little, but he never paid much attention to her, until she turned 16 and filled out, well, I see the same thing happening between Dave and Mindy.
Exactly what I was saying. The other poster just hates the idea of them being together.

K.Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #109
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,835
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Opened in fifth place behind movies already in their second week of release.

If we see another Kick-Ass sequel it will be direct-to-video.
I know what it opened at. I also know how much it cost. we will see what happens. I can see Vaughn and the crew getting the money together for a finale to the trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Well read through mine. Now that I've seen the movie a second time, you pick up them laying seeds where Dave keeps saying "It's not like you'd ever date anyone!" and Mindy being jealous of "Night-Whore" and "You don't know a thing about me, Dave."

It's basic rom-com writing. She's interested, he's oblivious. The only reason they didn't get further than the "revelation" scene is because a) they want a sequel and b) it is still gross. If they get a third film, that is the direction this writing is going.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I thought he was terrific. The idea of him coming after Kick-Ass or Hit-Girl in a third would have been awesome. It's a shame we'll never see it.

But yes, he is a very underrated actor. And that scene where he stares Chris down and has John Leguizamo killed? Probably the scene that came closest to capturing that level of shocking intensity that was sprinkled throughout the first.
Don't give up hope so quickly.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #110
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,038
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I see this too. And, if there is a third installment (don't see why not, how many freaking SAW movies are there out there, couldn't be too hard to finish the trilogy of Kick Ass) they will wait till Moretz is probably 17 so they can film more adult scenes.
The difference is Saw films, at least in their heyday, opened to around $30+ million (one of them I think even brushed $50 million) a film and cost like $5-$10 million each. This cost $30 million and opened at $13 million.

It will make a profit. But enough to encourage another $30 million budget? Even $20 million? I dunno about that.

But yes, I would love one more if they could somehow financially make it work. And I agree that this is the direction it will go in. She will be 17-19 by the next time the next one is made (if ever). But I doubt that it is going to happen.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #111
DACrowe
Side-Kick
 
DACrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 26,038
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I know what it opened at. I also know how much it cost. we will see what happens. I can see Vaughn and the crew getting the money together for a finale to the trilogy.


Thank you.


Don't give up hope so quickly.
Vaughn is a shrewd businessman above all else. I will be very happy if there is a third one, even if it is of the same disappointing quality. Just seeing these characters somehow make it to three films is as underdog unlikely as their concept.

However, Hollywood for all their heartstring pulling is not an underdog town. I will be very surprised if it happens again.

****, if it happens they can just play this over the press announcement:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


Because that is the victory right there.

__________________
"Let us disappoint the Men who are raising themselves upon the ruin of this Country."

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #112
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,190
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Wow, so for the second time this year, I disagree with the critics on a superhero movie (the first being Man of Steel). That is a new record. This was good, not as good as the first, but good nonetheless. Jim Carrey was awesome, but really underused. Chloe and CMP were both awesome, McLovin made a surprisingly entertaining villain. I REALLY did not like the Katie thing, I loved that she was so fun and likeable in the first movie (as opposed to a standard Mark Millar character in the comics, namely an *******). Here, she a *****. I liked the Dave/Night ***** thing (Lindy Booth, ftw), I just wish there had been a better way to get there. The action was not like the first film, but it still worked. I am looking forward to Wadlow's take on the X-Force (he's a huge fan of multiple versions of the team, which is a good start).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #113
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 201
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

McLovin' was great in this movie.

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #114
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,302
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I REALLY did not like the Katie thing, I loved that she was so fun and likeable in the first movie (as opposed to a standard Mark Millar character in the comics, namely an *******). Here, she a *****.
But as someone had mentioned before, Katie wasn't exactly an angel in the first movie.

She got involved with a shady Drug Dealer, she didn't show any interest in Dave until she thought he was gay and thought it'd be cool to have a cliche' gay BFF, and she took Dave to the back of the comic book store and had sex with him (not that there's anything wrong with that last part), just sayin…she wasn't exactly a goody two shoes.

And of course, in this one she'd been cheating on Dave for a while.

__________________
My life is like school on a Sunday...no class.
LostSon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #115
Mike_D202
Green Lantern's roommate
 
Mike_D202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 6,668
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

I really liked this film, Jim Carrey's character was one of my favorites. The critics don't know what they're talking about.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom
So did I miss any meltdowns today?

I imagine there was more of "MoS was a disappointment," with maybe a splash of "DC is dragging their feet." Maybe even "DC is just making a cash grab."
Mike_D202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #116
sontin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 104
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSon88 View Post
But as someone had mentioned before, Katie wasn't exactly an angel in the first movie.

She got involved with a shady Drug Dealer, she didn't show any interest in Dave until she thought he was gay and thought it'd be cool to have a cliche' gay BFF, and she took Dave to the back of the comic book store and had sex with him (not that there's anything wrong with that last part), just sayin…she wasn't exactly a goody two shoes.

And of course, in this one she'd been cheating on Dave for a while.
And he promised her in the first movie to give up being Kick-Ass.
I see no problem here. Getting rid of her was the only way to go forward. And the scene in the school was great.


Last edited by sontin; 08-22-2013 at 10:07 AM.
sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #117
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,190
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

No, I just didn't like her characterization, it was a big departure from the first film. They could have gotten rid of her in a way that didn't **** all over her character. I saw the drug dealer thing in the first film as a young woman who made a bad choice in men. That doesn't make her a bad person, just a teenager.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #118
sontin
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 104
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

And she is still a teenager in the second movie, so...

sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #119
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh
 
PyroChamber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 13,257
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
No, I just didn't like her characterization, it was a big departure from the first film. They could have gotten rid of her in a way that didn't **** all over her character. I saw the drug dealer thing in the first film as a young woman who made a bad choice in men. That doesn't make her a bad person, just a teenager.
And on a funny note, this kinda shows that Katie's got a thing for black dudes.

I think the only way they could have taken her out of the movie without making her come off like such a ***** would have been if they did keep her in the "rape" scene.

__________________
"I hate you, I hate you, I don't even know you and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you, and nobody else but you."

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #120
flickchick85
Loose Seal
 
flickchick85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,840
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

I'm tellin' ya, Katie's just got a thing for drama, period. Always did, imo. I knew someone like her in college. Exactly like that. Dave couldn't see it because he saw it as her having a "bleeding heart" or some nonsense, but really, she clearly had thing for bad boys and was "all about the lame ducks" because she just couldn't keep her nose out of things that intrigued her. I'm guessing if he had revealed himself to be straight WITHOUT revealing that he was also Kick-Ass...she wouldn't have slept with him that night. The Kick-Ass thing was what turned her on.

__________________
4.19.14
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110

Last edited by flickchick85; 08-22-2013 at 04:51 PM.
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #121
Arrowhead
Webhead
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 268
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Really really liked it. Not a good as the first, but just as enjoyable. I don't understand all the hate. It was a solid sequel in my eyes.

__________________
Favorite Adaptations
1. The Spectacular Spider-Man (TV) 2. Arrow (TV) 3. Batman: TAS (TV) 4. The Dark Knight 5. Batman Begins 6. The Wolverine 7. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 8. The Avengers 9. Spider-Man 2 10. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #122
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,350
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Saw this last night, I really liked it, thought it was a great follow up. The critics have been way off with some movies this year, this and MOS should have gotten better reviews, and Iron Man 3 didnt quite deserve the reviews it did get.

Now, this wasnt as good as the first, thats clear, but it progressed the story and characters really well. The cast were superb, the stand out being Chloe, but everyone was great as well. Wadlow used a bit too much shakey-cam at times, but boy does he know how to do an action scene, I was really impressed with his directing here as he has only done one movie before and that was poorly recieved. I didnt have many dislikes, but they were:

-How they got rid of Katie, it just didnt seem to fit with her character in the 1st movie, despite what some on here have said, if anything she was naive in the 1st movie with a good heart. Here she dumps him despite him somewhat explaining the conversation, then says she has been cheating on him? That was forced IMO just to get her out of the story with no way of coming back.
-Not enough Jim Carrey, he was great in his scene's, and I understand in the comic it was a short role, but a bit more of him would have been great.
-The re-casts of Todd and Marcus, I thought the 2 new guys did well, but I hate re-casts, and the guys in the 1st movie were fine.
-Speaking of which, Todd switching sides so easily, I understand his reveal of Dave's dad was done with naivety rather than malice, but if we get a 3rd movie this needs to be addressed.
-The resolution of the Mean Girls stuff, I think Mindy would have found a better way to embarrass them than that.
-It was a bit too short.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the movie and will be going to see it again, a really good sequel that kept the heart and emotion of the movie while really progressing the characters and giving us some great new ones at the same time. 7.5/10, this may rise after a 2nd viewing.

On a somewhat related note what is up with the critics this year? I normally agree with them on most things, but on this, MOS and couple of others they were way off. Is this really a worse movie than G.I: Rise Of Cobra, X-Men 3, Wolverine Origins, Daredevil and many others? Not in a million years.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #123
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,190
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

No, it is not worse than the aforementioned movies (although the Director's Cut of DD was really good).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #124
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,350
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

^Yeah I meant the theatrical cut of DD, which was average, and worse than KA2 yet it got a worse critical score. I'm not saying KA2 should have gotten X-Men, TDK levels of reviews, but somewere in the 60's or at least 50's in the percentage on RT was deserved.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #125
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 25,835
Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Vaughn is a shrewd businessman above all else. I will be very happy if there is a third one, even if it is of the same disappointing quality. Just seeing these characters somehow make it to three films is as underdog unlikely as their concept.

However, Hollywood for all their heartstring pulling is not an underdog town. I will be very surprised if it happens again.

****, if it happens they can just play this over the press announcement:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


Because that is the victory right there.
That will be the perfect way to celebrate.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.