The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #176
DustyBunter
Newbie First Class

Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
I don't get why they cut out some of the stuff we saw in the leaked final fight scene. I can understand the removing of "Avengers assemble" but they could have kept the dog showing up.
Interesting.
I wondered what happened to the dog.
I thought the issue after Colonel Stars death was handled rather swiftly.

DustyBunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #177
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToker87 View Post
That's the one! She says 'probably Matthew' - that kind of implies she didn't like working with Wadlow, or maybe just preferred working with Vaughn. It's a bit of a gentle slap in the face to Wadlow though
Interesting, its obvious she didnt think much of Wadlow though, which is strange as she seemed to have a blast with the role in the sequel and gave a superb performance.

I would prefer Vaughn coming back as well, he is a better director, but Wadlow did fine with KA2 and I think he will improve as a director as time goes on.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #178
TheToker87
Newbie First Class

I think Wadlow did fine, and I wouldn't be upset seeing him return for Kick Ass 3 (if it happens). At the same time, Vaughn returning would be great news, I just feel that he's maybe 'above' doing it now he's more 'in demand' as a director. I hope I'm wrong though

TheToker87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #179
sontin
Side-Kick

I dont understand the hate for Wadlow's script and direction.
His script is magnificent: Every main character has a unique storyline which gives them their own motivation over the time. Much better than in the first movie where only Dave has a real character development. The relationship between Dave and Mindy has a great build up and makes so much more sense than Webb's Peter and Gwen nonsense. Chris D'Amigo is one of the best villian with an all-time character arc since years. So much fun to watch his journey to get revenge than Loki, Bane, Lizard or whatever other one dimensional character was thrown at me in other comicbook movies.
The supporting cast is great especially Javier, Colonel Stars and Strips, Marty and Marcus. Most of the one liners are great.
The best part of the script are the small things, something you will easily miss if you watch this movie only once.
My problem with the script is Todd. But at least he is doing something in this movie.

I see that Wadlow has not Vaughn's style. It quite obvious. But i do not have a problem with it. Kick-Ass is not only "style over substance". Even the first movie offers more than violence.

And the action scenes are way better than anything Nolan put into his Batman movies.

In the end this movie is so much better than The Amazing Spider or The Dark Knight Rises. And yet KA2 gets trashed by critics and critized by fans.

Last edited by sontin; 08-30-2013 at 06:43 AM.
sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #180
jacobed
Banned User

Um no. It's not better. Plain and simple. Action scenes better than the Batmans haha no. The tumbler Chase in BB alone is better than any action in this movie. Also Loki and Bane are faar from one dimensional. You can praise a movie without trying to poorly dump on other ones.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 PM   #181
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Um no. It's not better. Plain and simple. Action scenes better than the Batmans haha no. The tumbler Chase in BB alone is better than any action in this movie. Also Loki and Bane are faar from one dimensional. You can praise a movie without trying to poorly dump on other ones.
I do think that the FIGHT scenes in KA2 were better than in the Batfilms, but the action in the Batfilms OVERALL was better. Anyone who would argue that Bane and Loki are one-dimensional and could keep a straight face either hasn't seen the motives or is deliberately trolling.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #182
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToker87 View Post
I think Wadlow did fine, and I wouldn't be upset seeing him return for Kick Ass 3 (if it happens). At the same time, Vaughn returning would be great news, I just feel that he's maybe 'above' doing it now he's more 'in demand' as a director. I hope I'm wrong though
Quote:
I dont understand the hate for Wadlow's script and direction.
His script is magnificent: Every main character has a unique storyline which gives them their own motivation over the time. Much better than in the first movie where only Dave has a real character development. The relationship between Dave and Mindy has a great build up and makes so much more sense than Webb's Peter and Gwen nonsense. Chris D'Amigo is one of the best villian with an all-time character arc since years. So much fun to watch his journey to get revenge than Loki, Bane, Lizard or whatever other one dimensional character was thrown at me in other comicbook movies.
The supporting cast is great especially Javier, Colonel Stars and Strips, Marty and Marcus. Most of the one liners are great.
The best part of the script are the small things, something you will easily miss if you watch this movie only once.
My problem with the script is Todd. But at least he is doing something in this movie.

I see that Wadlow has not Vaughn's style. It quite obvious. But i do not have a problem with it. Kick-Ass is not only "style over substance". Even the first movie offers more than violence.

And the action scenes are way better than anything Nolan put into his Batman movies.

In the end this movie is so much better than The Amazing Spider or The Dark Knight Rises. And yet KA2 gets trashed by critics and critized by fans.
Wadlow really surprised me, I was expecting the worst from this movie for a long time, then the reviews came out and I normally agree with critics, though this year they have been off a few times.

Vaughn returning would be great, but if we get Wadlow for KA3 if it happens it wouldnt diminish my excitement for it at all. I think Wadlow has potential as a film-maker and could get better the more movies he makes. KA2 was a step in the right direction in that regard.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 08-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #183
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Just watched it.

The first Kick Ass was possibly the most surprising film I have ever watched. With films I normally watch a few trailers and read some reviews so most films I watch I kinda knew what to expect. With KA1 I watched 1 trailer and it looked like a standard dull run of the mill CBM with the twist that the superheroes are just normal folk. I watched it and thought it was amazing. Fun, brutal, more fun and fun. I had a grin throughout it all. It had a stellar cast, action scenes and amazing soundtrack. I couldn't wait for a sequel.

Well I just finished it and I really liked it. But you could tell there was someone else behind it. It was certainly fun but extremely rushed. Character moments that could have carried a quick 2 minute scene were condensed to single lines of dialogue as well as some poor dialogue in general, it would just refer to things outta the blue to move a scene along "remember that note your dad gave you if anything went wrong?" something that isn't ever at all mentioned before. As well as Dave walking out on his dad. That scene literally lasts about 1 minute and for Dave to do it in such a mean way felt off to me but by the way he acted it was a clear signal to me that his dad would be offed.

I wasn't a fan of "sick stick" that felt WAYYYYY outta place to me. I know it was a lot about gore and stuff and the films haven't exactly shy'd away from silly humour but that toilet humor was a bit too much IMO. If it was just some sort of taser that would be fine but I didn't see the need for the OTT vomit/poo sequences.

And instead of big 5/10 minute action set pieces it was more little pieces of action spread through out.

The acting was still great from everyone especially Carrey, Moretz and Plasse. Though like others I was a little surprised by the kiss at the end, it gave clear hints that Mindy was into him but I thought they wouldn't take it any further. I'm not quite sure what the ages of the two were supposed to be but in the first trailer Dave says she is 15 and he is clearly a bit older. I'm not against it cause the ages are never specifically laid out but it just surprised me.

So yeah there it was a great time and I don't have many complaints. But there was certainly something not right. It just needed moments to slow right down and a bit more sharper writing. It definitely missed the Vaughn/Goldman combination from the first film. They brought the style that was really missing here, the Hit Girl ssaving Big Daddy/Kick Ass scene remains one of my favorite action scenes but there was nothing particularly memorable about the ones here.

It also missed a killer soundtrack! It just seemed to be the same Kick Ass theme over and over.

Definitely a fun ride but nowhere near as memorable as one to me. If Wadlow does return I certainly wont be mad but I'd really want Vaughn to return but as he missed on the second it doesn't seem likely.

7/10

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:49 AM   #184
warhorse78
Side-Kick

I went to see another movie tonight, and as I was checking out times from 4 different movie complexes, I noticed that all of the theaters have removed Kick Ass 2 from their line up. I am really doubting a third movie now.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #185
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User

The only thing that really bugged me were the over the top high school *****es scenes. Way too corny and exaggerated.

The actual wanna be superhero stuff and Hit girl's overall arch were really good, IMO.

The music was great as always. It always got me pumped up at the right moments. Too bad real superhero movies can't get the score right like Kick-Ass does.

McLovin' was also really good in this movie. The scene with his Uncle in the prison was played perfectly by him and showed a lot of depth in his acting.

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:27 AM   #186
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I went to see another movie tonight, and as I was checking out times from 4 different movie complexes, I noticed that all of the theaters have removed Kick Ass 2 from their line up. I am really doubting a third movie now.
I am surprised it hasnt done that well at the BO just from people seeing the first one alone, but WW its struggling to make half of what the first one did and if its being pulled from theatres already then its going to be hard to make up ground now.

I guess maybe high DVD sales will give a chance of a third but thats questionable.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #187
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Its a damn shame, it seems the critics have killed this movie, and they were totally wrong about it, it was a fun sequel that progressed the story and characters in the right way and paved the way for a 3rd movie.

As someone else said high DVD/BD sales may save it, I think it'll make its budget back at the cinema as it was low, but home sales will have to be really good for us to get a threequel.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #188
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I do think Jim Carrey's comments and the political climate intensified the criticism. KA2 is not in the technical sense good and is a huge step down from the first film, which is almost absurdly magical in its execution.

However, I think the reviews would have been much more mixed than the 20/80 split and chorus of "I HATE THIS," had it not been for people feeling ashamed of liking this sort of movie now. It may not be good, but it certainly has more going for it than better reviewed dreck like World War Z or You're Next.

Just a thought.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #189
sontin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
KA2 is not in the technical sense good and is a huge step down from the first film, which is almost absurdly magical in its execution.
Can you please explain what "technical sense" means?

sontin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #190
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I preferred Evan Peters as Todd.

It was fun seeing a bunch of British TV actors playing American characters.

This movie was even weirder than the first one.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #191
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I do think Jim Carrey's comments and the political climate intensified the criticism. KA2 is not in the technical sense good and is a huge step down from the first film, which is almost absurdly magical in its execution.

However, I think the reviews would have been much more mixed than the 20/80 split and chorus of "I HATE THIS," had it not been for people feeling ashamed of liking this sort of movie now. It may not be good, but it certainly has more going for it than better reviewed dreck like World War Z or You're Next.

Just a thought.
I just really dont get the critical consensus at all, and if people were put off by Jim Carrey's comments and ashamed to enjoy a movie like this thats idiotic.

I liked WWZ personally, but is KA2 really worse than movies like X-Men 3, The Bourne Legacy, The FF movies, Daredevil (though the theatrical cut) and countless others that got better reviews? The answer is no.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #192
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

Didn't this get worse reviews than Wolverine Origins?

There is. No. Pepe Silvia.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #193
the last son
Side-Kick

Yea, when people ask me about what was best in this movie, I got to go with McLovin. Dude really shocked me with his creepy sinister portrayal. Definitely up for villain of the year.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #194
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Didn't this get worse reviews than Wolverine Origins?

Yes it did, AND G.I Joe: The Rise Of Cobra as well, it was better than both movies easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Yea, when people ask me about what was best in this movie, I got to go with McLovin. Dude really shocked me with his creepy sinister portrayal. Definitely up for villain of the year.
I have to agree, I didnt think he would be able to pull it off at all, but he was superb, he was really evil in some parts, and I really wanted to see KA, well kick is ass by the end.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #195
mocomic
Philistian by choice

I think the whole Jim Carrey thing was to generate press for the film.

mocomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #196
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Can you please explain what "technical sense" means?
Despite having a talented cinematographer who worked on various projects in the past, including Snatch, Wadlow wrought a visually boring film where everything was shot in high-key bright lighting with a bland look to it. The action scenes, while competently done--I never found them boring or poorly staged like some posters--lacked a certain creative flair that would elevate them from serviceable to truly memorable like the first one.

However, his biggest failings were in scripting and/or direction. Tonally the movie was very awkwardly put together. There are MANY laugh-out-loud moments in it, but the laughs are often cheaper and grosser than the first film which was very smart, even if it was dwelling in lowbrow. This one went for quite the juvenile potty humor to the point where nobody is laughing, such as when a "sick stick" forces a girl to have violent CGI diarrhea. That is disgusting and feels as if written by a drunk fratboy.

But besides being visually uninspiring, it could not tonally handle the switches from comedy to drama (or at least melodrama). Many of the character beats felt hollow and through the motions, including Dave leaving home, Dave's dad dying and Hit-Girl giving Dave a "you're a real superhero" speech, which kind of contradicts most of the point of the first film and this movie.

Much of it falls flat because the editing and mise-en-scene does not flow, instead causing the movie to start and stop in disjointed segments. In this sort of narrative seemingly important characters, like Col. Stars and Stripes, Todd or Night-*****, get lost in the shuffle to the point where you forget about them. And things like juxtaposing attempted rape with a dick joke and cop murder feels just gross and sleazy, instead of zany, as I'm sure Wadlow was going for.

...All that said, I thought the movie was still quite funny in a very immature way and the characters are, for the most part, great (though more thanks to Vaughn and even Mark Millar).

Just my opinion.

--John Adams
Old 09-02-2013, 05:14 AM   #197
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
Just watched it.

The first Kick Ass was possibly the most surprising film I have ever watched. With films I normally watch a few trailers and read some reviews so most films I watch I kinda knew what to expect. With KA1 I watched 1 trailer and it looked like a standard dull run of the mill CBM with the twist that the superheroes are just normal folk. I watched it and thought it was amazing. Fun, brutal, more fun and fun. I had a grin throughout it all. It had a stellar cast, action scenes and amazing soundtrack. I couldn't wait for a sequel.

Well I just finished it and I really liked it. But you could tell there was someone else behind it. It was certainly fun but extremely rushed. Character moments that could have carried a quick 2 minute scene were condensed to single lines of dialogue as well as some poor dialogue in general, it would just refer to things outta the blue to move a scene along "remember that note your dad gave you if anything went wrong?" something that isn't ever at all mentioned before. As well as Dave walking out on his dad. That scene literally lasts about 1 minute and for Dave to do it in such a mean way felt off to me but by the way he acted it was a clear signal to me that his dad would be offed.

I wasn't a fan of "sick stick" that felt WAYYYYY outta place to me. I know it was a lot about gore and stuff and the films haven't exactly shy'd away from silly humour but that toilet humor was a bit too much IMO. If it was just some sort of taser that would be fine but I didn't see the need for the OTT vomit/poo sequences.

And instead of big 5/10 minute action set pieces it was more little pieces of action spread through out.

The acting was still great from everyone especially Carrey, Moretz and Plasse. Though like others I was a little surprised by the kiss at the end, it gave clear hints that Mindy was into him but I thought they wouldn't take it any further. I'm not quite sure what the ages of the two were supposed to be but in the first trailer Dave says she is 15 and he is clearly a bit older. I'm not against it cause the ages are never specifically laid out but it just surprised me.

So yeah there it was a great time and I don't have many complaints. But there was certainly something not right. It just needed moments to slow right down and a bit more sharper writing. It definitely missed the Vaughn/Goldman combination from the first film. They brought the style that was really missing here, the Hit Girl ssaving Big Daddy/Kick Ass scene remains one of my favorite action scenes but there was nothing particularly memorable about the ones here.

It also missed a killer soundtrack! It just seemed to be the same Kick Ass theme over and over.

Definitely a fun ride but nowhere near as memorable as one to me. If Wadlow does return I certainly wont be mad but I'd really want Vaughn to return but as he missed on the second it doesn't seem likely.

7/10
That pretty much sums up my opinion of the movie as well. It was good, but not great. I think you liked it a little more than I did, I'd give it a 6/10.

I found the whole "Mean Girls" side story rather tedious. I think this was from the Hit-Girl comics, which I've never read (and thus may account for my not caring much for it). Other elements that were adapted directly from the KA2 comics I found were a little too watered down. Like the assault on Katie/Night B**ch's neighborhood. Or changing the final showdown from Time Square to The Motherf**ker's headquarters. I think it should've stayed more faithful to the comics. I don't know if they were trying to skirt the line between PG-13 and R, or if they were trying to stay more in line with the previous film (or maybe both?).

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #198
BatmanGoesToRio
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
I don't know if they were trying to skirt the line between PG-13 and R, or if they were trying to stay more in line with the previous film (or maybe both?).
Just wondering: Did Kick-Ass 2 get a PG-13 in the US?

BatmanGoesToRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #199
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^If it did they must have cut a lot of violence and stuff out, which would make the movie worse IMO.

Pretty sure it wasnt a PG-13 in the US though, movie would be about 20 mins long!

Old 09-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #200
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
That pretty much sums up my opinion of the movie as well. It was good, but not great. I think you liked it a little more than I did, I'd give it a 6/10.

I found the whole "Mean Girls" side story rather tedious. I think this was from the Hit-Girl comics, which I've never read (and thus may account for my not caring much for it). Other elements that were adapted directly from the KA2 comics I found were a little too watered down. Like the assault on Katie/Night B**ch's neighborhood. Or changing the final showdown from Time Square to The Motherf**ker's headquarters. I think it should've stayed more faithful to the comics. I don't know if they were trying to skirt the line between PG-13 and R, or if they were trying to stay more in line with the previous film (or maybe both?).
It's not about skirting the line. It's about having a modicum of taste. Mark Millar turning rape and child murder into a joke where the victims are dehumanized is repulsive. Even hinting at rape (which ultimately didn't happen) I felt hurt the movie.

Times Square was a budgetary issue.

--John Adams