The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #201
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon - Part 1

Loved this movie, I don't understand where the hate is coming from. Carrey is a total chameleon, Col. Stars and Stripes was fantastic. And Mother Russia was an absolute beast, especially during the last fight with Hit Girl. I think I like it better than the first, but I need to give that one a watch to be sure.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #202
the last son
Side-Kick

Mother Russia was ok, but that whole neighborhood scene was ridiculous.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #203
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Kick-Ass is inherently ridiculous and over-the-top. I think the scene fit.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #204
the last son
Side-Kick

Eh, nothing was that bad.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #205
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Loved this movie, I don't understand where the hate is coming from. Carrey is a total chameleon, Col. Stars and Stripes was fantastic. And Mother Russia was an absolute beast, especially during the last fight with Hit Girl. I think I like it better than the first, but I need to give that one a watch to be sure.
For me it wasnt better than the first but it was a lot better than I was expecting, Carrey was awesome in this, shame he wouldnt do any promotion as it could have boosted the BO numbers.

Mother Russia was great, LOVED her fight with Hit-Girl, possibly my favourite fight scene of the year, and the last line during it, superb.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:00 PM   #206
SymbioteKal-El
Side-Kick

After seeing the movie, I dont get the hate for it from the critics either, it was a decent sequel, and the most fun I have had at the movies this year so far, 4/5.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #207
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanGoesToRio View Post
Just wondering: Did Kick-Ass 2 get a PG-13 in the US?
I have no idea, I live in Canada. I don't remember if it was rated 14A (our version of PG-13) or 18A (our version of R). I think because of the number of F bombs dropped in the film, it was likely 18A. I found the action/violence to be rather tame though, and more in line with a 14A movie.

Thundarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #208
Thundarr
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
It's not about skirting the line. It's about having a modicum of taste. Mark Millar turning rape and child murder into a joke where the victims are dehumanized is repulsive. Even hinting at rape (which ultimately didn't happen) I felt hurt the movie.

Times Square was a budgetary issue.

Motherf**ker didn't need to shoot kids in the face in the movie, but he could've brought more of his gang and had them f**k more s**t up than he did (like in the comic). Changing Katie to Nightb**ch made narative sense as the first movie wasn't 100% true to the source material (I believe Katie never dated Dave in the comic, and Dave was only tortured in the first movie not interrogated), so they had to make a few minor changes. However, I think the actual rape probably should have happened. Maybe not shown, but certainly strongly implied (I'm thinking along the lines of Death Wish 3, where we see her get attacked and her clothes ripped, and it's obvious what's about to happen, then it cuts to the next scene). For one thing, it intensifies the rivalry between Kick Ass and Motherf**ker. For another, it's a very real danger that any woman who decides to become a RLSH might have to face. Seriously, I'm surprised it's never happened to Batgirl. But that's just my opinion.

As for Times Square, I kinda figured it was a budgetary issue. But I still think they could've found a better location than Motherf**ker's lair. Just off the top of my head? Set the movie during November or December. Have the supervillains attack a shopping mall when it's packed with Christmas shoppers. Kick Ass and Hit Girl show up with Justice Forever and save the day. There you go, cheaper than Time Square but more in line with the comic.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #209
DACrowe
Side-Kick

But the comic...is kind of repulsive.

The reason the rape did not happen is, because like those DW movies, is it trivializes and fetishizes the brutalizing of women for male audiences. In the book KA2, Katie is raped and discarded from the story, as the victim is not important. What is important is it makes "Mother****er" bad.

He killed Col. Stars and Stripes and he has Dave's dad murdered. He is clearly evil, while staying simultaneously a little ****. All the rape would do is vitcimize a woman, even if Wadlow did it more "tastefully" than Millar and Romita (wouldn't be too hard), it is still there for a cheap shock and exploitation.

I would be fine with leaving the dog, as it is a cheap trick most movies do to earn sympathy for the good characters. But rape or child murder? I think I'll pass and Wadlow should have never even implied it was on the table to begin with.

Your shopping mall idea is good. However, a big reason also for the change is that it is only heroes vs. villains. Yes, Millar has everyday people slaughtered--but Millar's books are really sick. It is hard to have comedy between HG and Mother Russia or KA and MF if we just saw families gunned down. I think, again, this is a wise omission from the story.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #210
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
Motherf**ker didn't need to shoot kids in the face in the movie, but he could've brought more of his gang and had them f**k more s**t up than he did (like in the comic). Changing Katie to Nightb**ch made narative sense as the first movie wasn't 100% true to the source material (I believe Katie never dated Dave in the comic, and Dave was only tortured in the first movie not interrogated), so they had to make a few minor changes. However, I think the actual rape probably should have happened. Maybe not shown, but certainly strongly implied (I'm thinking along the lines of Death Wish 3, where we see her get attacked and her clothes ripped, and it's obvious what's about to happen, then it cuts to the next scene). For one thing, it intensifies the rivalry between Kick Ass and Motherf**ker. For another, it's a very real danger that any woman who decides to become a RLSH might have to face. Seriously, I'm surprised it's never happened to Batgirl. But that's just my opinion.

As for Times Square, I kinda figured it was a budgetary issue. But I still think they could've found a better location than Motherf**ker's lair. Just off the top of my head? Set the movie during November or December. Have the supervillains attack a shopping mall when it's packed with Christmas shoppers. Kick Ass and Hit Girl show up with Justice Forever and save the day. There you go, cheaper than Time Square but more in line with the comic.
Yes, rape the female just to make the hero hate the villain and the villain look EVIIIL, that isn't lazy at all. That isn't unfair to the female character at all (reducing them to motivation for the hero, I hate that). The rape wasn't needed, PERIOD. Millar thinks this stuff is cool and shocking, but its just cheap and repulsive. That is why BOTH movies were better than BOTH comics.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #211
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I never the 2nd comic but I know that the 1st movie was much better than the 1st comic and it seems to with this movie as well. I never fancied the sequel comic simply because the movie did everything better than the 1st comic so I just though I would wait for the sequel to the movie. Seems I made the right call.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 09-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #212
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

I kinda liked the first comic book, and I loved the first movie. I didn't like the second comic book at all. To me, it was cheap shock value and tasteless gratuitous violence, just for the sake of being cool and edgy. Millar is like a 13 years old who just played GTA for the first time and wants to make an impression.

Both movies are better, imo, than their Comics counterpart. Nightdamsell may not have been raped in the movie, which was an improvement, but she's still a motivation for the hero, since she got beaten badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
It's Zryson. Everything he says is so funny.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #213
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I am curious to read the 2nd CB now the movie has come out, just to see the differences, but I wont be rushing out to get it like I will with the movie when it hits BD.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:20 PM   #214
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

It's a little vomit inducing.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #215
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I'll wait until it comes to the second-run theaters. Just picked up part 1 on dvd. I have to say, that humanity, as a whole, as depicted in the film is generally pretty awful. it's like Dave is largely surrounded by people who are either indifferent to him to the point where they don't care if he lives or dies, or hostile in the form of bullies, street criminals gangsters and even erstwhile "ally" Hit Girl mostly just tolerates him.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #216
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I am curious to read the 2nd CB now the movie has come out, just to see the differences, but I wont be rushing out to get it like I will with the movie when it hits BD.
Don't waste your time. Read the Hit Girl comic instead.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #217
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Kick Ass 2 was alot better than I expected. Not as great as the first one, but definitely good IMO.

Oscorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #218
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Don't waste your time. Read the Hit Girl comic instead.
I was going to get both to be honest, just because I want to see the differences from the movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Kick Ass 2 was alot better than I expected. Not as great as the first one, but definitely good IMO.
That seems to be the general consensus amoung fans, its just a shame to GA didnt take to seeing this. It will make its budget back domestically, just, but this is only before the cinema's take their cut. I think another movie is dependant on home sales at this point.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:16 AM   #219
Leenie
Make Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
But the comic...is kind of repulsive.

The reason the rape did not happen is, because like those DW movies, is it trivializes and fetishizes the brutalizing of women for male audiences. In the book KA2, Katie is raped and discarded from the story, as the victim is not important. What is important is it makes "Mother****er" bad.

He killed Col. Stars and Stripes and he has Dave's dad murdered. He is clearly evil, while staying simultaneously a little ****. All the rape would do is vitcimize a woman, even if Wadlow did it more "tastefully" than Millar and Romita (wouldn't be too hard), it is still there for a cheap shock and exploitation.

I would be fine with leaving the dog, as it is a cheap trick most movies do to earn sympathy for the good characters. But rape or child murder? I think I'll pass and Wadlow should have never even implied it was on the table to begin with.

Your shopping mall idea is good. However, a big reason also for the change is that it is only heroes vs. villains. Yes, Millar has everyday people slaughtered--but Millar's books are really sick. It is hard to have comedy between HG and Mother Russia or KA and MF if we just saw families gunned down. I think, again, this is a wise omission from the story.
I completely agree with this post.

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Guardians Of The Galaxy, (8) Kick-Ass,
(9) Batman (89)
(10) Captain America: The First Avenger
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #220
Thundarr
Side-Kick

So who's been reading Kick Ass 3? Your thoughts? I personally find it to be a bit dull so far, but it's only into its second issue and might still pick up. I'm wondering if it'll make for a good premise for a 3rd KA movie (although I have my doubts as to whether or not a 3rd movie will ever happen, as Part 2 isn't nearly as well received as the first one).

Old 09-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #221
Maximus One
Oddball

KA 3 has been kinda dumb so far. It's ok. Nuthin too special but I'm digging it just cuz I love KA

Maximus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #222
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

It's okay so far,but as long as it is better than KA2 the comic I will be happy. I never have too high of expectations when it comes to Millar.

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #223
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr View Post
I have no idea, I live in Canada. I don't remember if it was rated 14A (our version of PG-13) or 18A (our version of R). I think because of the number of F bombs dropped in the film, it was likely 18A. I found the action/violence to be rather tame though, and more in line with a 14A movie.
It was 14A, according to Cineplex.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #224
Maximus One
Oddball

Ya gotta admit though, Mclovin stole the show here. His role was the one I was really looking forward too here and aside from the dumb jokes he cracks at really awkward moments, he nailed it. The look in his eyes when he's talking to Javier when he found all his mom's bondage clothes. "I know what my role is in this, Javier. My dad was a crime boss so it just makes sense. I'm a super villain. It's evolution..." He really nailed it IMO. In the book it never made much sense to me that MF'er was after KA just out of only revenge and this at least sells his transformation a bit better IMO. He's a lot more of a douche here to begin with, you can see the pampered rich boy life has gotten to this kid and turned him into a total dickwad. He's just a nerdy outcast with a crimelord for a dad then all this stuff happens with KA and other heroes popping up. It's exactly like he says, it's evolution. Plus, I just love how you do see these small nerdy moments like MF'er running outta the convenience store all silly and stuff like that that reminds us that they're still human and basically just nerds taking dress up to the extreme. I'm not saying this movie is a true gem at all but it keeps me smiling throughout and those small bits with MF'er gives me chills every time.

Maximus One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #225
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

McLovin was superb in this, I had huge doubts he would be an effective villain, but he proved me totally wrong, I loved his geek out moments as well, they played well against the truly evil acts he committed in the movie as while they showed he is still human, the evil acts showed that he was still a messed up kid.

His fight with KA at the end was pretty decent as well.