The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Fantastic Four > Fantastic Four

Old 02-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #101
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Default Re: Michael B Jordan is "Flame On!" The Human Torch - Part 2q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
You know, that the answer to which option will determine what type of relationship they have, right? It's not just about explaining HOW they're related, but how does their relationship effect them? IE, how early was adoption? Who was adopted? Was it a tragic occurence that caused it? Does being adopted make either of them feel inferior or defensive of the other? Etc.

And these answers are important to their character dynamic! So, they should have an answer.
Most of those questions could be applied to any brother and sister blood related. The family dynamic has always been important to the FF since day one. The only wrinkle is the bi racial component. Whether adopted or not brothers and sisters are fiercely protective of each other. Aslong as that is shown it will believable to me that these two people are truly family.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 PM   #102
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Default Re: Michael B Jordan is "Flame On!" The Human Torch - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
Hopefully early on. There needs to be something that firmly cements their relationship as platonic. Otherwise there will be hanging tension, especially in the case of Johnny, who's a womanizer.
I mean in the minds of the audience, by the way.

It's already implausible that Sue's romantically attracted to Reed in the Ultimate universe. Put him beside Ben and a Johnny that's only related to her by teenage adoption, and we have a problem on our hands.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #103
mace1
Side-Kick

Sentinel X
Quote:
Actually, that would be quite interesting to be completely honest. I'd be open to it.

I personally am not feeling the race change for Johnny Storm. I don't know why because I was ironically open to Donald Glover playing Spider-man way back when that rumor was out. Maybe it subconsciously brings back images of the previous FF movies given that Sue Storm wasn't really white either (I know Jessica Alba is technically a Caucasian woman but that's not what most people expected when they cast sue storm). I do think he was the stand out star in Chronicle however so tats a plus...I guess

Jessica Alba phenotype looks really more like a brown race type/intermediate type then Caucasian or she could be Caucasian with heavy looking admixture,but she really looks more intermediate then Caucasian.

This is what i thought when i first saw her even if her dna is mostly european.Looks are more important of course in real life,that's why there were many complaints about this brown/intermediate woman playing a white caucasian / woman.

mace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #104
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

The problem with Alba is that they tried to pass her off as a blonde, blue-eyed Caucasian woman, which made her look ridiculous.

If they would have simply just let her be, I don't think she would have looked so absolutely odd and out of place.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #105
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
You know, that the answer to which option will determine what type of relationship they have, right? It's not just about explaining HOW they're related, but how does their relationship effect them? IE, how early was adoption? Who was adopted? Was it a tragic occurence that caused it? Does being adopted make either of them feel inferior or defensive of the other? Etc.

And these answers are important to their character dynamic! So, they should have an answer.
In the grand scheme of things of them gaining super powers, it honestly is probably not too big.

For arguments sake if either of them were adopted as babies, I doubt they'd have much a different relationship at all compared to any other brother or sister related by blood.

I know people who are siblings by adoption and they act no differently to each other than my blood brother and I.

Bruce Malone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #106
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake II View Post
Human Torch is black? Then how the hell is Susan Storm going to be his sister?
Very easily.... and without any explanation being needed.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:15 AM   #107
Kevin Smith
Banned User

LOL....this casting reminds me of the father/daughter duo from Date Movie:

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:19 AM   #108
Kevin Smith
Banned User

These folks:

...were this girl's:

...parents in the movie.

Josh Trank approves.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:22 AM   #109
NJCaliboi
Side-Kick

Im totally fine with the casting choice, he's a capable actor- and the whole brother sister thingy is best explained by a shared parent, easy enough.

NJCaliboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:59 AM   #110
Kevin Smith
Banned User

There's no way these two could come from the same biological parents. Unless they're on the Jerry Springer show.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 02-21-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:31 AM   #111
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

How much longer after this hot mess bombs do we have to wait before Marvel gets the rights back?7 years?

We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 AM   #112
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
There's no way these two could come from the same biological parents. Unless they're on the Jerry Springer show.

It's amazing right some of those kids look white white

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)

Last edited by Paradox1; 02-21-2014 at 03:37 AM.
Paradox1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:30 AM   #113
Donut
Side-Kick

Maybe they wont even be brother & sister. That way they can do a super group love triangle. That Hollywood loves

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #114
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post

It's amazing right some of those kids look white white

It's amazing right that guy looks like he is flying.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 02-21-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #115
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
How much longer after this hot mess bombs do we have to wait before Marvel gets the rights back?7 years?

Too long. But I'll take it. By then hopefully the bad taste of Trank's FF will have faded from the public's mouth a little. I really hope they get the rights one day...part of me sees it as just a matter of time.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #116
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

I don't think that movie is going will be bad, just because some people expect it to.

That depends on how the script is written and how the movie is directed and edited.

The fact is that cast can act and the director can direct, so the disaster predictions seem out of place to me.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #117
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post

It is possible that one (say Johnny Storm) is the adopted child.

*\S/T*
Old 02-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #118
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
But why bother to do that? If you're the studio crowing that you have the balls to change a character's race....why not have the balls to change his sister's race too? Is the studio proud to present ONE black hero but not TWO? Do they think a mixed race family is great...as long as it does not involve Reed being married to a black woman?

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #119
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
But why bother to do that? If you're the studio crowing that you have the balls to change a character's race....why not have the balls to change his sister's race too?

Is the studio proud to present ONE black hero but not TWO? Do they think a mixed race family is great...as long as it does not involve Reed being married to a black woman?
Valid questions. But maybe, the race change for Johnny Storm is done for two purposes -

1) To distinguish this reboot from the earlier FF movies.

2) To get some racial diversity in the main team, but then they could have made his sister black too, this seems to be neither here nor there, hopefully they will provide some good answers in the story.

*\S/T*
Old 02-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #120
JEM
Side-Kick

I didn't want to participate in the debate because my english is bad but I want to say something. Why Johnny and Susan couldn't have the same parents? In my family, I have a black uncle and a white aunt who have two daughters. One is black like his father and the other white like her mother. This is rare but it exists. I feel I live on a different planet that some ....

JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #121
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
But why bother to do that? If you're the studio crowing that you have the balls to change a character's race....why not have the balls to change his sister's race too? Is the studio proud to present ONE black hero but not TWO? Do they think a mixed race family is great...as long as it does not involve Reed being married to a black woman?
This. I would be a lot less cynical about this if I weren't 100% certain that the reason they are doing this casting is because they don't want a black love interest.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #122
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM View Post
I didn't want to participate in the debate because my english is bad but I want to say something. Why Johnny and Susan couldn't have the same parents? In my family, I have a black uncle and a white aunt who have two daughters. One is black like his father and the other white like her mother. This is rare but it exists. I feel I live on a different planet that some ....
It's ridiculously rare. To the point where it's almost non-existent. More often than not the kids will have features of both parents. I've yet to see kids come out fully white in the aesthetic sense when the father or mother is mainly of black/African origin.

The whitest you'll get in terms of overall aesthetics are someone like Rashida Jones or Wentworth Miller. Then you have kids who inherit typically Caucasian hair/eye colors but inherit all the facial characteristics of a black person.

That's pretty much the extent of it unless that "black" parent is already half or a quarter white themselves and procreates with someone who is white.

I'm almost certain that the only biological child between the two people that Paradox posted is the child on the left. The others are from her previous relationship.

Saying that someone like Kate Mara and Michael B Jordan could be conceivable full blooded or even half blooded siblings is laughable at best.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:26 AM   #123
JEM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
This. I would be a lot less cynical about this if I weren't 100% certain that the reason they are doing this casting is because they don't want a black love interest.
JESUS, they can have same mother, same father. They don't even necessarily need to be adopted . We aren't in a world with only black sisters-brothers or white sisters-brother .

You want a Johnny Storn like the comics is fine and i understand and respect that .

JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #124
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
It's ridiculously rare. To the point where it's almost non-existent. More often than not the kids will have features of both parents. I've yet to see kids come out fully white in the aesthetic sense when the father or mother is mainly of black/African origin.

The whitest you'll get in terms of overall aesthetics are someone like Rashida Jones or Wentworth Miller. Then you have kids who inherit typically Caucasian hair/eye colors but inherit all the facial characteristics of a black person.

That's pretty much the extent of it unless that "black" parent is already half or a quarter white themselves and procreates with someone who is white.

I'm almost certain that the only biological child between the two people that Paradox posted is the child on the left. The others are from her previous relationship.

Saying that someone like Kate Mara and Michael B Jordan could be conceivable full blooded or even half blooded siblings is laughable at best.

The likelihood that Kate Mara and Michael B Jordan could come from the same biological parents is about as likely as getting superpowers from cosmic rays....probably less so.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 02-21-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #125
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Yes but I said from the same biological parents....meaning the mother and father had sex and created the children together as opposed to adopting.