Iron Man 3 27 21.77%
Man Of Steel 49 39.52%
The Wolverine 43 34.68%
Kick-Ass 2 5 4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #226
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: Best Comic Book movie of the summer?

I don't care about Gross either. As long as it makes enough to get sequels thats all that matters

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #227
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

The Wolverine, with Man of Steel trailing not too far behind.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #228
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I will quote what CyclopsWasRight posted:

Yeah Marvel Studios is not really much better when it comes to introduction of unfamiliar places.
Well I can't speak to the unititiated but for myself personally I already went in with a working knowledge of Thor's mythos so it didn't bother me at all. For those that didn't have that and felt like it didn't set everything up well....I can't fault them their complaint. It's just a wonder that you can somehow fault mine in regards to TW.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #229
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue

I won't deny I couldn't follow the characters by name during my first viewing of TW,so I get that it wasn't the easiest thing to follow.But I could follow a simple short=hand of what the characters were.("Raggedy Ann girl with a sword",Bow and Arrow Guy""Evil Dad"Etc)My only point was,I could pretty much get where each was coming from.Their motivations and so forth.

We are T. H. E. M.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #230
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Well I can't speak to the unititiated but for myself personally I already went in with a working knowledge of Thor's mythos so it didn't bother me at all. For those that didn't have that and felt like it didn't set everything up well....I can't fault them their complaint. It's just a wonder that you can somehow fault mine in regards to TW.
And yet you said MCU did a better job introducing unfamiliar places compare to the X-Men movies? But you don't mind if someone said they didn't think MCU introduced Asgard very well just because you were already aware of Thor's mythos before you saw the movie?

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #231
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Of course I'm always speaking for myself when I say they do a better job. For my own prior knowledge it's a true statement. If you thought I was intending to pass off my opinion(which I still hold to, BTW) as fact then I dunno what to tell ya.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #232
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I found both Thor and The Wolverine both set up their worlds really well, not once was I confused in either movie, and I didnt have any difficulty catching peoples names in either movie.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #233
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^I found both Thor and The Wolverine both set up their worlds really well, not once was I confused in either movie, and I didnt have any difficulty catching peoples names in either movie.
I agree. I don't know what was the problem with either movie in terms of setting up their respective worlds.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #234
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

I had absolutely no interest in Kick-Ass 2. But of the 3 I saw, I'd rank them:

Iron Man 3
The Wolverine
Man of Steel

I enjoyed all 3 movies, but I felt MoS had more plot holes and such than either The Wolverine or IM3 did. Wolverine and IM3 were pretty close for me, but I edge toward IM3, partly due to the fact I have more interest in the MCU films (it's my favorite film franchise currently).

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #235
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Even though I am not a big fan of man of steel I would place It ahead of Iron Man 3.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #236
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

I thought it was very entertaining, but if you examine the story, it has many holes. Jor-El's plan for Kal-El is confusing. The scene where they reveal the suit is a major WTF moment, and raises many questions (such as, how did it get there on a ship that was on Earth for thousands of years and furthermore, what did Jor-El expect of his son that would require that garish outfit? It makes little to no sense). Also, why didn't Kal go to his father earlier, when in their meeting on the ship he mentioned Zod? Also, was the codex in Kal meant to be a symbol of Krypton surviving through him, or was there a plan of resurrecting Krypton later? It's not entirely clear what Jor-El wanted out of the codex in Kal, and it raises several questions.

MoS was a very entertaining movie and I enjoyed it a lot. But, the script has wholes. I felt IM3 was a far more logical film/script, regardless of the changes to the Mandarin.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #237
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Iron Man 3's problems weren't just the mandarian. However if they would have just let Ben Kingsley be a version of tradional Mandarian it would have received less critism.

The climax was very weak.Having James Rhodes be Iron Patriot when you already severly screwed up the mandarian Is stupid.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #238
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

What was weak about the climax? I actually thought that Killian vs Stark was very well done. Only objection I had was Pepper took him out. The Iron Patriot thing was mostly used as a joke, and I was never married to the Iron Patriot in the comics. I am a big fan of Iron Man comics, and I love the Mandarin as well. I think the Mandarin in this movie served the themes of the film very effectively, and I think the film actually presented interesting conflicts and points. Yes, Kingsley could have been a great traditional Mandarin, but I don't think what they did with him was poor storytelling. I actually think it worked.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #239
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
I agree. I don't know what was the problem with either movie in terms of setting up their respective worlds.
Same, I had no problem following either, and that was from the 1st viewing onwards with Thor. I have only seen TW once, but I remember the names and motivations of the characters as I found them easy to follow.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #240
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Man of Steel (9/10)
Iron Man 3 (8/10)
Kickass 2 (7/10)
Wolverine (7/10)

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #241
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I thought it was very entertaining, but if you examine the story, it has many holes. Jor-El's plan for Kal-El is confusing. The scene where they reveal the suit is a major WTF moment, and raises many questions (such as, how did it get there on a ship that was on Earth for thousands of years and furthermore, what did Jor-El expect of his son that would require that garish outfit? It makes little to no sense). Also, why didn't Kal go to his father earlier, when in their meeting on the ship he mentioned Zod? Also, was the codex in Kal meant to be a symbol of Krypton surviving through him, or was there a plan of resurrecting Krypton later? It's not entirely clear what Jor-El wanted out of the codex in Kal, and it raises several questions.

MoS was a very entertaining movie and I enjoyed it a lot. But, the script has wholes. I felt IM3 was a far more logical film/script, regardless of the changes to the Mandarin.
It was, which is why is was far better received with critics but you know fans "The Mandarin wasn't true to source material, IM3 sucks!"

Iron Man 3 - 8.5+/10

The Wolverine - 8/10

Man of Steel - 7.5-8/10 (still haven't decided)

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 11-05-2013 at 05:00 AM.
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #242
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Summer? Now, having seen Thor: The Dark World, I'm doing my rating and ranking of superhero comic-book movies for all of 2013!

1. Iron Man 3 – 8/10
2. Thor: The Dark World – 7/10
3. The Wolverine – 7/10
4. Man of Steel – 6/10
5. Kick-Ass 2 – 4/10

Overall a quite solid year in the superhero comic-book-movie department, but without anything really great like last year (The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers).

Last edited by 747; 11-05-2013 at 01:49 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #243
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

1. The Wolverine – 8.5/10
2. Man of Steel – 8.5/10
3. Thor: The Dark World – 7/10
4. Regular Man 3 - 6/10

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #244
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
4. Regular Man 3 - 6/10

Old 11-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #245
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

L-O-L "Regular Man 3", well he was without the suit for a vast majority of the film

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #246
T"Challa
Side-Kick

i don't know what kind of people y'all hang around with but calling Tony Stark 'regular' even without the suit is a bit misguided..lol. His McGuyver sequence in IM3 is still one of my favorite bits of the year.

Anyway.

Thor TDW: 8.5/10
IM3: 8/10
Man of Steel: 6.8/10
The Wolverine: 6.5/10
Kick Ass 2: 5.5/10

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #247
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
L-O-L "Regular Man 3", well he was without the suit for a vast majority of the film
And one of the two(?) times he did, the suit was without weaponry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
i don't know what kind of people y'all hang around with but calling Tony Stark 'regular' even without the suit is a bit misguided..lol. His McGuyver sequence in IM3 is still one of my favorite bits of the year.
"McGyver 3" then?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #248
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
And one of the two(?) times he did, the suit was without weaponry.

"McGyver 3" then?
meh..its the same response i give when people complained about not having enough batman in TDKR. i just think Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are much more interesting characters than their alter-ego's...lol, i don't even know if you can call Iron man an alter ego, as he said, he and the suit are one.

lol.I love seeing RDJ's Stark do his thing way more than i love seeing the iron man suit shoot repulsors..but that's just me.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #249
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
meh..its the same response i give when people complained about not having enough batman in TDKR. i just think Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are much more interesting characters than their alter-ego's...lol, i don't even know if you can call Iron man an alter ego, as he said, he and the suit are one.

lol.I love seeing RDJ's Stark do his thing way more than i love seeing the iron man suit shoot repulsors..but that's just me.
There was enough Batman in TDKR. In IM3, Stark almost didn't have the armor on. At. All.

He and suit are certainly not one. If they were, Stark wouldn't have had so many problems when he was without it. Tony Stark doesn't have repulsor rays, Iron Man does.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:29 PM   #250
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
i don't even know if you can call Iron man an alter ego, as he said, he and the suit are one.
When he's wering it yeah.