Iron Man 3 27 21.77%
Man Of Steel 49 39.52%
The Wolverine 43 34.68%
Kick-Ass 2 5 4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #176
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Best Comic Book movie of the summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Most memorable film =/= the best film

It doesn't work out like that. Yeah The Wolverine is probably NOt the most memorable CBM / Marvel movie, well its a very simple movie and it doesn't feel like a CBM movie, but as a movie, its good and definitely better than the other CBM movies of this year.

And for some people who found the movie "confusing", you need to learn how to follow and listen to the movie.
I honestly dont get that complaint either, I saw the movie once, and I knew EVERYTHING that was going on when it happened, I knew which side each character was on and their motivations and so and so forth. TW was not a confusing movie at all.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #177
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

It's intresting that lowest grossing major domestic comic book film Is beating just barely the most divise comic book film of year.And both of them are beating the highest grossing comic book film of year.

Kinda shows making money doesn't always mean it's better.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #178
Human Torch
Mandatory Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I honestly dont get that complaint either, I saw the movie once, and I knew EVERYTHING that was going on when it happened, I knew which side each character was on and their motivations and so and so forth. TW was not a confusing movie at all.
Yeah,I mean,it was nice to have some kind of complexity for the allegiances people had.It wasn't the usual case of "here's X our main villain,and here's Y & Z our henchmen." It was a little more than that,but still not too complicated.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #179
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
It's intresting that lowest grossing major domestic comic book film Is beating just barely the most divise comic book film of year.And both of them are beating the highest grossing comic book film of year.

Money grossing and quality go in completely independent directions. Sometimes they agree, many times they don't.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #180
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

Perhaps it's more a testament to the fact that TW was unable to get me to care about what was going on enough to be engaged that made all the rest seem quite muddled. I can follow a complex movie. I got Inception on the first viewing, no problem. But then that movie was able to keep me interested. TW was not. I was also able to follow the plots of all the other films in this poll. Unlike TW, they were able to hook me enough that I'd follow along. And TW started off with a higher burden of difficulty simply in it's setting. It becomes even more of a chore to keep with the story when it's set in a foreign land with a culture I have zero familiarity with and a bunch of characters with strange names that'll require extra effort to keep straight as to who's who.

Old 10-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #181
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:

Making more money has never meant better quality anyway, its just popularity among the masses that money can gauge, but not quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Yeah,I mean,it was nice to have some kind of complexity for the allegiances people had.It wasn't the usual case of "here's X our main villain,and here's Y & Z our henchmen." It was a little more than that,but still not too complicated.
Oh it wasnt a straight forward movie by any means, but as I was watching it I knew were alliances lay with character as it developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Perhaps it's more a testament to the fact that TW was unable to get me to care about what was going on enough to be engaged that made all the rest seem quite muddled. I can follow a complex movie. I got Inception on the first viewing, no problem. But then that movie was able to keep me interested. TW was not. I was also able to follow the plots of all the other films in this poll. Unlike TW, they were able to hook me enough that I'd follow along. And TW started off with a higher burden of difficulty simply in it's setting. It becomes even more of a chore to keep with the story when it's set in a foreign land with a culture I have zero familiarity with and a bunch of characters with strange names that'll require extra effort to keep straight as to who's who.
For me, those were some of the reasons WHY I liked the movie so much, seeing Wolverine in a totally different setting, in unfamiliar territory with his powers nullified as well, was interesting. Learning a bit about Japanese culture was very interesting also. Plus, I had no difficulty with the names.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #182
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:

Or maybe you know, the general audience like Iron man 3 better?

It had the highest professional critic scores.
It had the highest audience ratings.
It had the highest cinemascore.
Its the highest grossing movie of the year.

Sure it may have divided fanboys. But everyone else seems to have little to no problem with it.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.[X-Men:DOFP[/B] 5.Spiderman 2 6. X2: X Men United. 7. Iron Man 8. Batman Begins. 9. X-Men: First Class 10. Captain America: The First Avenger
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:46 PM   #183
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Its certainly the most popular of the year so far, no one can argue that, although it had the MAJOR advantage of being the 1st post Avengers MCU movie and I am pretty sure that was a big factor in how much it made.

Also, people may want to stop voting now, as when Thor 2 comes out I will be doing a best CBM of 2013 thread, keep voting if you want but you may have to do it again for that thread in a few weeks.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #184
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post

Sure it may have divided fanboys. But everyone else seems to have little to no problem with it.
In this particular case, I agree, but it is also because of those other things you mentioned.

Gross by itself doesn't tell you a lot. You need more information to go with it.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #185
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
In this particular case, I agree, but it is also because of those other things you mentioned.

Gross by itself doesn't tell you a lot. You need more information to go with it.
I think gross tells you a lot when said gross is through the roof. If a movie makes 500 mill, its one thing but when it becomes the 5th highest grosser ever, thats a whole other story.

People who say its only because of the Avengers don't know how the box office works. Precursors like that affect mostly the opening week. After that, WOM sets in heavily and the movie has to stand on its own two feet. Movies make 1.2 billion when people/families go see it not once but multiple times. And i'm guessing nobody pays to watch a movie twice if they hate it or find it mediocre.

And before anyone brings up the Transformers series, remind yourself that those films got critically trashed as opposed to IM3 that got lauded, so there.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.[X-Men:DOFP[/B] 5.Spiderman 2 6. X2: X Men United. 7. Iron Man 8. Batman Begins. 9. X-Men: First Class 10. Captain America: The First Avenger
Old 10-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #186
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

A good portion of the gross is due to hype though. A classic example is The Phantom Menace. I don't think I've ever seen a movie with more hype than that one. There was no way it wasn't going to be huge.

Yet today it is the butt of jokes and few people will admit to actually liking it.

Lowest grossing Star Wars film? That would be The Empire Strikes Back, the one that is almost universally considered to be the best of the series.

And you made my point with Transformers. That's a movie series that grosses a ton but gets horrible critical and audience reviews. The reviews and audience reaction tell us more than the box office, IMO.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #187
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...233&highlight=

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #188
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Yes and i like how you've ignored the other points i made. The gross is just part of the argument.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #189
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
A good portion of the gross is due to hype though. A classic example is The Phantom Menace. I don't think I've ever seen a movie with more hype than that one. There was no way it wasn't going to be huge.

Yet today it is the butt of jokes and few people will admit to actually liking it.

Lowest grossing Star Wars film? That would be The Empire Strikes Back, the one that is almost universally considered to be the best of the series.

And you made my point with Transformers. That's a movie series that grosses a ton but gets horrible critical and audience reviews. The reviews and audience reaction tell us more than the box office, IMO.
Nowhere near the same thing. To this day I haven't met a human being that didn't enjoy IM3. Most folks I know; however, Star Wars fans or not, consider the prequels to be lesser than the PT to varying degrees.

There's a very sharp divide between the fan community and the GA on this one. Hell, I don't think it's even that sharp, as I firmly believe that the naysayers are in the minority, they're just louder than everyone else. TDKR is another example. I can't stand that film myself, but similarly, I fully realize that I'm in the minority, as I also don't know anyone who didn't enjoy that film. Difference here is that most of the people who hated IM3 keep attempting to project their views onto some larger group, one way or another.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #190
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
Nowhere near the same thing. To this day I haven't met a human being that didn't enjoy IM3. Most folks I know; however, Star Wars fans or not, consider the prequels to be lesser than the PT to varying degrees.

There's a very sharp divide between the fan community and the GA on this one. Hell, I don't think it's even that sharp, as I firmly believe that the naysayers are in the minority, they're just louder than everyone else. TDKR is another example. I can't stand that film myself, but similarly, I fully realize that I'm in the minority, as I also don't know anyone who didn't enjoy that film. Difference here is that most of the people who hated IM3 keep attempting to project their views onto some larger group, one way or another.
This debate was from a post commenting on the results and the Box Office/quality comparison of the poll. Nothing about trying to change peoples opinion.

The only person i know who watches CBMs is my brother in law and he didn't like either, though he did like Man of Steel. My nephew liked IM3 though

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #191
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza
I agree. In the case of Iron Man 3, I think the gross and the general public's view of the film are in line with each other.

I'm just saying, just because it is true of Iron Man 3 (and The Avengers for that matter) doesn't mean it is always true that high grossing is the same as well-liked.

I would also agree that Iron Man 3 was the most popular comic book film of the summer by a country mile. We are all or mostly comic book fans on this board so this poll isn't an accurate representation of the general public.

For what its worth from the people I know in real life, the response to Iron Man 3 was very favorable. For Man of Steel it was mixed. And most people I know didn't even see Wolverine or Kick-Ass 2.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:15 PM   #192
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
For me, those were some of the reasons WHY I liked the movie so much, seeing Wolverine in a totally different setting, in unfamiliar territory with his powers nullified as well, was interesting. Learning a bit about Japanese culture was very interesting also. Plus, I had no difficulty with the names.
Agreed. When watching these escapist entertainment films, I find the setting to be very important. I want to see fantastic adventures, in far off exotic settings. It has been one of the appeal of film franchise such as James Bond and Indiana Jones for decades. Bond in particular is sometimes described as a travelogue for certain locations.

The Wolverine had Japan which is one of most visually and culturally distinct civilizations on the planet. Iron Man 3 had Tennessee. To me there is no comparison between the two as far as the setting goes.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #193
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
The Wolverine had Japan which is one of most visually and culturally distinct civilizations on the planet. Iron Man 3 had Tennessee. To me there is no comparison between the two as far as the setting goes.
That's an oversimplification, though. How much of the Japanese culture did we really get in The Wolverine? Love hotels and ninjas? It was superficial and very cursory. I lived there for years, and I hate to say it, but Fast 3 did a better job of showing off Japan than Wolverine did. Not a better film by any stretch, but if the locale is part of the appeal, then the filmmakers need to put forth more effort into featuring it.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #194
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-10-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #195
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

How about you actually try and argue your position instead of throwing up brain dead pictures. What a joke.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #196
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Agreed. When watching these escapist entertainment films, I find the setting to be very important. I want to see fantastic adventures, in far off exotic settings. It has been one of the appeal of film franchise such as James Bond and Indiana Jones for decades. Bond in particular is sometimes described as a travelogue for certain locations.

Yep, thats why I like Sci-fi movies so much as well, going to other worlds, etc, a setting is very important for a movie. And i loved seeing Wolverine in a new environment, having to adapt to a new culture somewhat as well. It made the character interesting again. Of course, it also helps that it was a good movie in general.

Until I watch them all again MOS is still my best of the year so far, but I have a feeling TW will have the most re-watch value.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #197
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Yep, thats why I like Sci-fi movies so much as well, going to other worlds, etc, a setting is very important for a movie. And i loved seeing Wolverine in a new environment, having to adapt to a new culture somewhat as well.
I think you're blowing this out of proportion. There wasn't much adapting to a new culture at all. What did he really learn? None of the language, that's for sure. If anything, that's out of character for Wolverine. Customs and culture? Outside of chopsticks, not much. There wasn't much he did or learned that was distinctly relevant to Japanese culture, and getting chased by the Yakuza and ninjas certainly doesn't apply.

I get that some of you like this film, but lets not make it out to be something that it isn't.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #198
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I loved the setting of TW. It's rare to have a US made movie set outside the US, and it made it quite unique for a CBM.

I agree visualiza though that Logan didn't get to explore much of the native cultire, sadly.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 10-10-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #199
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:

Thats you though. I could say same thing about The Wolverine.

With Iron Man 3/Man of Steel, I have met and heard from people (friends/relatives) that they didn't like the movie. And those people aren't part of the fan community.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #200
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
I think you're blowing this out of proportion. There wasn't much adapting to a new culture at all. What did he really learn? None of the language, that's for sure. If anything, that's out of character for Wolverine. Customs and culture? Outside of chopsticks, not much. There wasn't much he did or learned that was distinctly relevant to Japanese culture, and getting chased by the Yakuza and ninjas certainly doesn't apply.

I get that some of you like this film, but lets not make it out to be something that it isn't.
Of course The Wolverine wasn't gonna fully showcase Japan's culture and tourist sites but Aveitwithjamon was right though.

We saw Wolverine in a new environment, I don't think there has been a live-action American CB movie set in Japan. Also, the film showcased some of Japan's culture like samurai swords, ninjas, technology and even using a chopstick. They even used Japan's own language. It just feels different from the other CB movies out there.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote