The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes I - III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
henzINNIT
Side-Kick
 
henzINNIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,852
Default What if the Prequels were Good?

I was told to watch these by a mate, and oh my god this guy knows his stuff.

**links removed because the videos have uncensored cursing in them**


Despite being just a brief summary, these alternate takes capture the essence of the OT better than George did in all 3 prequels. I actually got a little emotional by the end of the second video lol, no joke.

Seen these before? Thoughts, comments...

(Oh and the illustrations in the second volume are class as well.)


Last edited by C. Lee; 11-07-2013 at 07:48 AM.
henzINNIT is offline  
Old 08-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger
 
Duran Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,462
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

The prequels were good.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Duran Man is offline  
Old 08-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,544
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
The prequels were good.

Soapy is offline  
Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,711
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
The prequels were good.

__________________
“There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.” Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline  
Old 08-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

what prequels?

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
henzINNIT
Side-Kick
 
henzINNIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,852
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
The prequels were good.
George, is that you?

henzINNIT is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat
 
Malcolm Reynold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England
Posts: 363
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Yeah, I love those videos, can't wait for his third one. It's sad though that's not what we actually got. Also, people are entitled to their own opinions but the prequels are garbage and that's a fact.
**link removed because it leads to uncensored cursing**


Last edited by C. Lee; 11-07-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Malcolm Reynold is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,785
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
The prequels were good.
Exactly.

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is offline  
Old 08-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Thoix
Side-Kick
 
Thoix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 531
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
The prequels were good.
Indeed.

Thoix is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed
 
NewYorkSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,428
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Those videos were a good watch. Thanks!

NewYorkSpider is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Yes, I got my good Prequels. I guess I'm not relevant to this thread.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 AM   #12
henzINNIT
Side-Kick
 
henzINNIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,852
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
Those videos were a good watch. Thanks!
Glad someone actually watched them haha. The guy has some great ideas.

henzINNIT is offline  
Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #13
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
The prequels were good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Yes, I got my good Prequels. I guess I'm not relevant to this thread.
Some people go to a fine restaurant and order a world class steak/lobster surf and turf, while others got their good "Cajun Surf and Turf" fried shrimp and chicken from Popeyes. Doesn't change the fact there's a difference between the two.

BenKenobi is offline  
Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #14
BenKenobi
Banned User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 362
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
Glad someone actually watched them haha. The guy has some great ideas.
It's really frustrating seeing all these people who praise the prequels out of some sort of sad denial. I really don't care who berates me for being honest.

The Phantom Menace was a solid attempt to make a memorable movies that would advance the lore and please fans. However it was just two hours of Lucas chasing the dragon so to speak and this doomed him to failure from the start. The jokes weren't funny, the characters were bland, and politics were so convoluted and boring that all the adults can easily pick them apart and the kids completely clocked out.

Attack of the Clones was 100% phoned in. Dooku doesn't show up until half way through the movies, Hayden was cast for looks, Boba Fett shows up for no reason, the politics get more ridiculous, the whole thing felt like subpar fan faction.

Revenge of the Sith was like one of those presentations you gave in high school, where you had no idea what you're talking about so you try to throw as many distractions as you can until you wrap it up. I think at some point Lucas realized he'd barely told the story of Darth Vader so he started the whole thing by back tracking. Telling us in the intro Obi-Wan and Anakin are friends, Anakins a good pilot, and he's caring even for the expendable clones. Then the rest of the movie is just 5 lightsaber fights which George used as the equivalent of dangling candy in front of a little kid.


You may love these movies, you may adore them, but they're lazy and sloppily written. Who do I think I am that I can say this? I'm honest and I'm intelligent enough to see that the new films didn't have a fraction of the depth that even a few scenes in Empire did. It's like comparing Elektra to the Dark Knight, they're superhero movies but one was made for quick cash and one was executed with deep care. It's kind of sad, when you read all these comments from people who try and point to these films deep misunderstood brilliance. You never even listen to criticism because you know deep down its legitimate and you just don't want to admit it.

Gianakin if you felt you had "no place in this thread" you would have stayed out of it, instead you've refused to watch RedLetterMedia, you refused to watch this, you've actually refused to accept any constructive criticism at all. You also defend your choice to enter these conversations by saying you don't like vacuums that lack diversity of opinion, yet you don't actually hear out the opposite opinion, effectively leaving your mind a closed vacuum none the less.

The same goes for all the rest of you who probably don't know much about film making, and refuse to listen to the legitimate opinions of those who do. Yeah go ahead and say I'm attacking you, if my words offend you, then you're just telling me I struck a nerve and that I am right because if you don't see my logic I wouldn't be bothering you at all.

Watch an episode of Family Guy, almost any single one, you'll find a reference to the star wars films; note none of which are towards the prequels. Look at various TV show parodies of Star Wars, never see one about the prequels, well not one that's taking them seriously that is. If these movies were as loved or as great as any one of you say then tell me why they haven't sank into pop culture?

If the villains were so great and memorable then how come they did nothing villainous?

In A New Hope, Darth Vader enters coldly observing a landscape of dead bodies, Chokes out a guy with one hand, chokes someone mentally for disagreeing with his beliefs, tortures the female lead, destroys a peaceful populated planet resembling earth, kills the heroes mentor, and has a rich history within the story.

In The Phantom Menace Darth Maul stabs Qui-Gon, a guy he's never had any contact with before and in battle.

See a difference there? It doesn't get any better as the films go on, it almost did in Sith with Grievous murdering Shaak Ti in cold blood, but they cut that. The most evil thing we see is Anakin killing the children, the guy we're supposed to feel sympathetic for is being more evil on screen than all of the other antagonists of the trilogy combined.

Also if those movies are so great why is it I can't go to target or walmart or best buy and find the complete saga or the original trilogy box set but I can easily grab the prequel one in both Blu Ray and DVD I might add? I guess it's just so loved and adored they had to make sure it's always in stock right?

Sure go ahead and show me all the critics that raved about them and the box office sales. I'll feel free to respond with the high marks for films like Spider-Man 3, and quite a few other bad films everyone wants to love. Anyway, just thought I should point that out to anyone who's got their fingers in their ears.


Last edited by BenKenobi; 09-26-2013 at 12:11 AM.
BenKenobi is offline  
Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
Great Mind(s)
Broken
 
Great Mind(s)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gamma Quadrant
Posts: 4,094
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

I liked parts of the movies.

Great Mind(s) is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #16
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,810
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

I wouldn't say the prequels were "good".

But they definitely weren't "bad" either. They're a complex bundle of flaws and strengths IMO. As is often the case with these types of things, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle of all the hyperbole from both sides.

Oh, and I'm a month late on this- but what an obnoxious post that was BenKenobi. And I don't say that cause I'm "offended", but because you pulled the ol' "I'm smarter and objectively right because I just said I'm smarter and objectively right!" card. That's annoying in any form of debate, period. Has nothing to do with whether I like the prequels or not (I have very mixed feelings about them).

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:55 PM   #17
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,819
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

The only thing I can praise about the prequels is the design. I loved the look of Coruscant and the design of episode 1. But, good design does not atone for horrible writing and wooden acting.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is online now  
Old 10-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,810
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

I think they can also be praised for their ambition. It's a trilogy where the fall of a great republic/rise of dictatorship is the backdrop and the main hero's tragic descent into villainy is your main story thread. Yes, of course "good on paper, badly executed" is what PT haters will undoubtedly say, and I'd even agree to a large extent, but for me it's not that cut and dry. There's still a grand idea behind that story arc that's very unusual for a series of blockbuster films aimed at kids, and I appreciate the way GL tried to turn the whole Star Wars mythos on its head, both stylistically and thematically, even if he didn't succeed at every turn.

I think ultimately the PT simply gets bashed because they pale in comparison to the OT. But IMO, they never really even had a chance of living up. George started with IV, V and VI because that was the most cinematic portion of his saga. The prequels are backstory by nature, and were probably always better suited for a novel, but we ended up getting films out of it so I think it's kind of neat.

I'm sure many will disagree with that last statement, but that's kind of how I see it. It's all a big prologue. The saga works just fine without them, but it functions as putting a new perspective on the story if you want it to.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 11-02-2013, 02:10 AM   #19
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,400
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
What if the Prequels were Good?
They were.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline  
Old 11-02-2013, 02:37 AM   #20
krycek
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 185
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
The prequels were good.
This.

krycek is offline  
Old 11-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #21
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power
 
TheDreamMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mandalore
Posts: 3,738
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
It's really frustrating seeing all these people who praise the prequels out of some sort of sad denial. I really don't care who berates me for being honest.

The Phantom Menace was a solid attempt to make a memorable movies that would advance the lore and please fans. However it was just two hours of Lucas chasing the dragon so to speak and this doomed him to failure from the start. The jokes weren't funny, the characters were bland, and politics were so convoluted and boring that all the adults can easily pick them apart and the kids completely clocked out.

Attack of the Clones was 100% phoned in. Dooku doesn't show up until half way through the movies, Hayden was cast for looks, Boba Fett shows up for no reason, the politics get more ridiculous, the whole thing felt like subpar fan faction.

Revenge of the Sith was like one of those presentations you gave in high school, where you had no idea what you're talking about so you try to throw as many distractions as you can until you wrap it up. I think at some point Lucas realized he'd barely told the story of Darth Vader so he started the whole thing by back tracking. Telling us in the intro Obi-Wan and Anakin are friends, Anakins a good pilot, and he's caring even for the expendable clones. Then the rest of the movie is just 5 lightsaber fights which George used as the equivalent of dangling candy in front of a little kid.


You may love these movies, you may adore them, but they're lazy and sloppily written. Who do I think I am that I can say this? I'm honest and I'm intelligent enough to see that the new films didn't have a fraction of the depth that even a few scenes in Empire did. It's like comparing Elektra to the Dark Knight, they're superhero movies but one was made for quick cash and one was executed with deep care. It's kind of sad, when you read all these comments from people who try and point to these films deep misunderstood brilliance. You never even listen to criticism because you know deep down its legitimate and you just don't want to admit it.

Gianakin if you felt you had "no place in this thread" you would have stayed out of it, instead you've refused to watch RedLetterMedia, you refused to watch this, you've actually refused to accept any constructive criticism at all. You also defend your choice to enter these conversations by saying you don't like vacuums that lack diversity of opinion, yet you don't actually hear out the opposite opinion, effectively leaving your mind a closed vacuum none the less.

The same goes for all the rest of you who probably don't know much about film making, and refuse to listen to the legitimate opinions of those who do. Yeah go ahead and say I'm attacking you, if my words offend you, then you're just telling me I struck a nerve and that I am right because if you don't see my logic I wouldn't be bothering you at all.

Watch an episode of Family Guy, almost any single one, you'll find a reference to the star wars films; note none of which are towards the prequels. Look at various TV show parodies of Star Wars, never see one about the prequels, well not one that's taking them seriously that is. If these movies were as loved or as great as any one of you say then tell me why they haven't sank into pop culture?

If the villains were so great and memorable then how come they did nothing villainous?

In A New Hope, Darth Vader enters coldly observing a landscape of dead bodies, Chokes out a guy with one hand, chokes someone mentally for disagreeing with his beliefs, tortures the female lead, destroys a peaceful populated planet resembling earth, kills the heroes mentor, and has a rich history within the story.

In The Phantom Menace Darth Maul stabs Qui-Gon, a guy he's never had any contact with before and in battle.

See a difference there? It doesn't get any better as the films go on, it almost did in Sith with Grievous murdering Shaak Ti in cold blood, but they cut that. The most evil thing we see is Anakin killing the children, the guy we're supposed to feel sympathetic for is being more evil on screen than all of the other antagonists of the trilogy combined.

Also if those movies are so great why is it I can't go to target or walmart or best buy and find the complete saga or the original trilogy box set but I can easily grab the prequel one in both Blu Ray and DVD I might add? I guess it's just so loved and adored they had to make sure it's always in stock right?

Sure go ahead and show me all the critics that raved about them and the box office sales. I'll feel free to respond with the high marks for films like Spider-Man 3, and quite a few other bad films everyone wants to love. Anyway, just thought I should point that out to anyone who's got their fingers in their ears.
Wow, this is possibly one of the most elitist posts I've ever seen on the Hype. Its all a matter of opinion on what is good or not, and a lot of us love the prequels and consider them good films. And considering you +969
essentially call us stupid for enjoying them and taking them seriously in the overall saga, I cannot even begin to accept any of your other criticisms. I know a couple doctors who love the prequels, does that mean they aren't intelligent enough?

Best advice I can give overall, if you don't like them, pretend they don't exist. Don't waste your time complaining how you wasted your time on movies you hated, or how George Lucas raped your childhood characters. No one is making anyone watch these, so I'd prefer if so many people tried to stop forcing people like me and Gianakin to suddenly stop liking these films and fall to our knees and scream to the heavens how wrong we've been. Maybe Episode VII will bring this fandom back together, but honestly I think I'd rather see JJ screw it up so badly the prequels might looking appealing to the rest of you.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Not the Hype's only Juggalo, but probably one of the few to be pretty vocal about it. Doesn't mean I don't like some of the same stuff you do though, so deal with it.
TheDreamMaster is offline  
Old 11-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #22
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,847
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

I liked the youtube vids OP.

A lot of really good ideas.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline  
Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,909
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post

Watch an episode of Family Guy, almost any single one, you'll find a reference to the star wars films; note none of which are towards the prequels. Look at various TV show parodies of Star Wars, never see one about the prequels, well not one that's taking them seriously that is. If these movies were as loved or as great as any one of you say then tell me why they haven't sank into pop culture?
You had me until you referenced Family Guy, no matter how bad the prequels can be, that show is simply worse and dumber than anything Lucas could have given us in the prequels

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline  
Old 11-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #24
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,785
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
It's really frustrating seeing all these people who praise the prequels out of some sort of sad denial.

You may love these movies, you may adore them, but they're lazy and sloppily written. Who do I think I am that I can say this? I'm honest and I'm intelligent enough to see that the new films didn't have a fraction of the depth that even a few scenes in Empire did.
The same goes for all the rest of you who probably don't know much about film making, and refuse to listen to the legitimate opinions of those who do. Yeah go ahead and say I'm attacking you, if my words offend you, then you're just telling me I struck a nerve and that I am right because if you don't see my logic I wouldn't be bothering you at all.

Anyway, just thought I should point that out to anyone who's got their fingers in their ears.
And they wonder why I say PT haters are the worst kind of nerd...

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is offline  
Old 11-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #25
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: What if the Prequels were Good?

Wow, I only now read BenKenobi's post, as I had him on my ignore list. It's been such a long time I've pressed the report button, I wonder if it feels like Bruce felt when he put on the suit in TDKR. Let's find out.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.