The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 08-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
bugman
man of bugs

Heart anyone else miss peter parker?

i'm 42 years old. i've been reading comics for 37 years, and i have been devoted to spider-man since before i can remember. an element of that is definitely spider-based: i LOVE spiders. they're my favorite animals. i have a 26 year-old tarantula, and i'm always looking for them. they're just beautiful, fascinating creatures.

but a lot of my love of spider-man is based on peter parker. i love peter's science aspirations. i can empathize with peter's constant guilt, and desire to do the right thing, but always feel like he's messing up and letting down the people he loves the most. i love the fact that he perseveres through everything he faces and that he never gives up. i love that he loves his old aunt and that he never loses touch with the loves of his life, and is generally able to morph from a romantic relationship to a platonic one. it's a beautiful thing.

now, i'm not afraid of change. when the clone stuff was happening, i was on the edge of my seat and happy to be along for the ride. when ben reilly was revealed to be (momentarily) the "true" peter parker, it was hard, but at least peter and mj were in portland. i knew we'd never lose touch with them.

so when peter died in ultimate, i was okay with it. it wasn't canon (to me), and it only added to his legend. the issue was beautifully done. and i knew i could return to amazing. but then otto switched bodies with peter, and we only had a couple of issues of peter in otto's decrepit body. and then at least he was buried somewhere in otto/peter's brain. but in a moment that is up there with peter making a deal with mephisto as two decisions where i just don't believe peter acted true to himself, peter was defeated in otto's mind and cast away.

so now there is no peter parker anywhere, and i miss him.

honestly, it has taken some of the zest out of my entire comic collecting life. sure, i enjoy the walking dead, and daredevil and i love the wake and dig swamp thing and absolutely drool over rachel rising. but i loved seeing what peter was up to every month. and now i can't and it's bumming me out.

i have no doubt that peter will return in the pages of amazing, especially by the time spider-man 2 comes out, and i don't mind marvel experimenting radically with spider-man.

but it doesn't change the fact that dammit, i miss peter parker.

come back soon, pete.

bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Default Re: anyone else miss peter parker?

I feel the same way. It's not the same. Bottom line.

I stopped reading Superior a couple of issues ago. I didn't like the last two issues I read. I think it was 13 & 14. Something like that. I'm still gonna read because I'm curious as to where they take this.

Tbh, I won't be surprised if they hold this down even until the next movie releases. It started Jan 2013, and I told myself I'd give it til Jan 2015 tops til Peter comes back, but you never know.

Now to think of it, Peter is still alive in the movie universe and I'm thankful for that.

Nicko-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #3
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

At least with Superior Spider-Man, there is a chance of getting Peter Parker back. He is completely gone in the Ultimate Universe, though it seems like Miles Morales is coming to the 616 universe now.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I think everyone misses Peter, even those that are loving Superior Spider-Man. That's the case with me. I love what's going on with Superior but it doesn't change the fact that I miss Peter and want him back eventually. This is just a phase....a story that Dan Slott is telling. I highly doubt he (or Marvel) plans on leaving it like this forever. Early indications are that Peter's return are already in place anyway *cough* Goblin King *cough*

Dan isn't going to leave Spider-Man to another writer without restoring Peter in his rightful place. My only question is not if but when Dan decides to move on from Spidey, does he still have more Peter as Spidey stories he wants to tell or does he intend to end his run with Peter's return...?

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I have been enjoying Superior, but have to admit, the ghost of Peter looms over the title. Plus, it does not help that any chance of Ultimate Peter returning -- 0.00000001% to begin with--are permanently eliminated with the inevitable cancellation of the Ultimate Universe.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Same here brother! He'll be back soon I'm sure!

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Peter who?

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
spidey99
Side-Kick

Yeah Bugman, I hear ya. I miss Pete as well. I'm 46 (47 on Nov 4th) and I got into Spidey at a young age, since I had two older Brothers who loved comics, and I'd do chores for them and they'd let me rummage thru their comics. The Spidey issues were always my favorite.
I don't mind change, but this was just a dumb way to do this whole thing. Why couldn't it just have been a big ASM 700 shocking story, and lasted for a few issues 701-710 or something, and Peter finds his way back. Would have worked so much better. Not to mention Ramos' artwork. Holy cow, it's just the most horrible mess I've think I've ever seen on the main title of Spidey. (just my opinion, of course) but Ramos' artwork just throws me out of any story they're trying to tell with it. There are so many outstanding artist out there that would love to be on the main Spidey title, and who know how to draw people that look like what they're suppose to. Again, just my opinion, and Ramos might be the nicest guy in the world, but I just can't handle his artwork.
So yeah, I miss Pete... I miss MJ and Pete being married... and I can't believe the crap Marvel has done to Pete thru the past many years (OMD, Sins Past, this Doctor Peterpus stuff) Just tell a story, for a few issues, and get back to great Peter's life stories. Peter is what makes Spider-Man who he is, and I miss that.

Oh well...

Keep On Thwipin'!!!
Sam

spidey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #9
bugman
man of bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey99 View Post
I miss MJ and Pete being married
god, so do i. it's not the marriage that was the problem, it was the writing. i blame bendis for having spidey join the avengers, reveal his identity, make a deal with mephisto, now be doc ock.

hey waitaminute...

will this tie back into mephisto? will we get to meat pete and mj's baby...

i can dream...

Old 08-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Picard Sisko

Maybe Mephisto will return and restore everything back to the way it was right before Civil War and things can go back to normal. It will never happen though.

My question is... where do they go from here? What happens if Peter does return to the 616 universe? Will Miles Morales replace him again since the Ultimate Universe is going bye-bye?

They need to setup a brand new universe (again) and start from scratch, and not make the same mistakes as the 616 or Ultimate universes. It seems like they are doing this with the Season One storylines, but... they're just not the same.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 08-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

to bugman...

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...274277&page=23

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

Personally, I'm loving Otto as Spidey. I'll be happy when Peter returns, but I'd be ok with Marvel taking its time with that. Change is good.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #13
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

I'm digging the books as well... I really miss a LOT about Peter Parker, but this opportunity only comes once in a lifetime, and why waste it by ending it too quickly...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Aloha,
While many have and will "Wear the Webs" there is only one Amazing Spider-Man and his name is Peter Parker. I miss him greatly. If not for the fact that I think Slott and company are doing a very creative job with this idea, I would be very pissed at the direction. Now, I think it will be looked back upon as one of the highlights of the 50+ years of Spidey.
I've been getting a feeling like this arc has shades of as well as

Peter Bishop came back from being erased from the timeline in Fringe. Peter Parker will return to the Marvel Universe.
Spidey rules

Donald Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #15
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

I enjoyed that Dan wrote Phil Urich as Stan wrote young Peter Parker. They were even "outed" by their worst enemy in the same way. Some will call that "lazy writing" but I call it poetic justice.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #16
THUNDERSTRIKE
KNOCK YOU OUT... POW!

hell yes I miss Pete...

all you Peter haters, don't kid yourself, in time, he WILL return to take back what's rightfully his...

his body, his life AND his book...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
So falls Zehnc Dee'Ya, the unstable B***hQueen, and
Phill'ya, her suckup, and Sleech, an ancient and savage Over
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

TYALYZE
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #17
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum
SHH! Global Moderator

I dont think any of us are "Peter haters."

Old 08-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
bugman
man of bugs

i'm not against what slott is doing; in fact, i think it's pretty interesting. it's tearing me up, what otto is doing in peter's name, like it's making me crazy, which makes for good storytelling. and i know peter will be back. i just miss him, that's all.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

I think we all miss Pete. Don't let our love of the current direction fool you. If I felt this was a permanent direction, like the marriage thing, I'd be up in arms. But, it' s just an interesting idea and Slott is doing a great job exploring it. I'll enjoy it while it lasts, and look forward to day of Pete's return.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

None of us believe the bulls**t that Brevoort tried peddling.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #21
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
Yeah, I agree.

The only ones that hate Peter are the higher ups at Marvel

Old 08-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #22
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

I could never hate Peter. What I, and others, "hate" (dislike is a more appropriate description) are certain writers' individual interpretations of Peter. But Peter Parker when written well is one of the best characters in all of comics. If only Pete always got writers whose talent matches his prestige.

Personally speaking I don't really like Slott's characterization of Peter and I much prefer his SpOck issues. So I can see SpOck getting old soon enough, but I hope for the time being he stays. I don't think his story has been mined just yet.

Last edited by JJJ's Ulcer; 08-24-2013 at 10:46 AM.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #23
Picard Sisko

I miss the classic Stan Lee/John Romita sr./Steve Ditko era of Peter Parker/Spider-Man.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #24
THUNDERSTRIKE
KNOCK YOU OUT... POW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I miss the classic Stan Lee/John Romita sr./Steve Ditko era of Peter Parker/Spider-Man.
classic and memorable stories done by two classic creative teams...

hell yes...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

TYALYZE
Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
THUNDERSTRIKE
KNOCK YOU OUT... POW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
I'll give you that... maybe haters WAS too strong a word for those that seem to prefer Otto assuming the role from Peter...

Seer.

TYALYZE