The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 09-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Call the carnage = what level of destruction do you want to see in the SM/BM movie?

By now everyone's read that great infographic that estimates the
cost of the destruction in Metropolis at $2 trillion with tens of thousands
dead.

Anyway, what level of destruction do you think is appropriate for a film
featuring SM and BM. Bats will be pissed if Gotham gets destroyed
(it very nearly did in his last movie), whereas Supes only narrowly
averted total global annihilation in MOS.

But you all know this, otherwise you wouldn't be reading this thread.

So what kind of destruction should / will/ might or would you like there be in the upcoming film, seeing as one of the two main characters is a mere mortal (although a truly legendary one) ?

As for myself, I reckon Supes learns from his little scrap with Zod and
takes the fight out into an open area, so the urban destruction will be
limited to what you might expect in a Batman movie (although having said that the Joker blew up a hospital, took out a swat convoy, burnt a firetruck and nearly fragged two ferryloads of civilians, whereas Bane
blew up strategic parts of the sewer system, plus a stadium, although he was ready to atomize all of Gotham).

But I can't see there being much more urban damage than that. I kind of feel that Batman's presence will bring things down to a street kind of level. Also, we've seen epic urban destruction in MOS, it behoves Snyder and co to change it up at least a little -Maybe Supes and some bad guy will duke it out in the mountains, and knock a few down.

Anyway, if Luthor's involved he probably won't want too much property
damage (given that insurance companies aren't what they used to be).

Enough from me, over to you. Come on people, what do we want/expect
a few buildings or total universal catastrophe ? Speak and be heard.

peace

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #2
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Default Re: Call the carnage = what level of destruction do you want to see in the SM/BM movi

I think the city destructing is done for... BRING ON THE NATURAL DISASTERS!!! Really, a few spectacular sequences where Superman must use his power to both save individuals in the sights of some huge natural phenomenon while also trying to save a greater population of people, all with some insane time limit would be sick as all hell get out!! Now just imagine if, in some way, it's Luthor behind it all? It would be something different from the first film, that's for sure.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Glassjaw
In training

Default Re: Call the carnage = what level of destruction do you want to see in the SM/BM movi

I wonder if they'll tackle it much the same way as Avengers 2 seems to be going about it. You can't go bigger, so go more personal. Batman fighting for his life could take place in one building, no need for a 10 block radius to get destroyed. And I think they'll make a conscious decision in showing Superman being able to fight bad guys without a city getting levelled.

Glassjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
smallville fan
Hero

I don't expect there to be city level destruction until the JL movie. The fighting will be more personal here I think.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
PunyGod
Astronomer

Last edited by PunyGod; 09-01-2013 at 11:07 PM.
PunyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
Tempest
....What?

I'm hoping for more buildings falling down, lots of explosions, and the death toll to be nearly a million.

Come play at Fallen London, Delicious Friends!

T.H.E.M.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat

As Joss Whedon said: don't go bigger, cut deeper. Make it a more personal, cerebral story. That's the best way to feature intellectual characters such as Batman and Lex. I am fine with the level of destruction in the first movie because it was an alien invasion/war/disaster movie, this movie should definitely be different.

Malcolm Reynold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Llama_Shepherd
Banned User

I don't want to see more destruction. It's not necessary, I want to see Superman given a real beatdown, even if it takes Kryptonite to do so, because the scene where Superman is given a beating in Superman Returns has more emotional resonance than the fights in Man of Steel.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I'm hoping for more buildings falling down, lots of explosions, and the death toll to be nearly a million.
The whole universe should explode.

Goshdarn Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Loki882
Side-Kick

I seriously doubt that the destruction will be nearly as bad as in MOS. For one thing, there won't be superpowered aliens with giant gravity beams attacking the city. If Lex is the villain, he will be more sneaky and cunning, and even villains like Metallo and Parasite aren't strong enough to cause that level of destruction. Also, Superman won't be such a complete novice and likely learned from what happened in MOS. PunyGod, the destruction wasn't meaningless. You had superpowered aliens attacking Metropolis bent on genocide, there SHOULD be a lot of destruction, that's what WOULD happen.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
LordofhouseEl
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I don't want to see more destruction. It's not necessary, I want to see Superman given a real beatdown, even if it takes Kryptonite to do so, because the scene where Superman is given a beating in Superman Returns has more emotional resonance than the fights in Man of Steel.
No it doesn't but hey that's a different story, the part when Clark goes at Zod for threatening Martha was amazing it could have been better if we had real talent on the movie.

LordofhouseEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
No it doesn't but hey that's a different story, the part when Clark goes at Zod for threatening Martha was amazing it could have been better if we had real talent on the movie.
What does that even mean? Your saying that Cavill, Lane, and Shannon aren't talented, ok whatever. It was a guy protecting his mother, I really liked it. Also, Superman in SR was a whiny, emo, stalker, I hated him so much that I was rooting for Lex to kick his ass.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Tempest
....What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddamn Batman View Post
The whole universe should explode.
YES!!! At last, someone who speaks my language!

T.H.E.M.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

I hope there isn't as much destruction as there was in MoS but Snyder's comments don't give me hope.

He said “We almost destroyed the world last time, now what!?’. Which to me says they are gonna try and out do that.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
YES!!! At last, someone who speaks my language!
And then Superman wakes up, screaming like a girl. He looks around, and breathes a sigh of relief. "Thank God, it was only a dream! Who the hell is Batman?" He closes his eyes again, and standing outside his window is a huge Bat-monster with red eyes... The end

Old 09-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
I hope there isn't as much destruction as there was in MoS but Snyder's comments don't give me hope.

He said “We almost destroyed the world last time, now what!?’. Which to me says they are gonna try and out do that.
Say goodbye to the moon.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
2/9/15
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Reynold View Post
As Joss Whedon said: don't go bigger, cut deeper. Make it a more personal, cerebral story. That's the best way to feature intellectual characters such as Batman and Lex. I am fine with the level of destruction in the first movie because it was an alien invasion/war/disaster movie, this movie should definitely be different.
This.

"Johnny Storm's a good-hearted kid, sure, but he has the attention span of a toaster, and he leads with his face; in Johnny's undisciplined mind, there's only a single synapse between thinking and doing. The Avengers' battle cry is "Avengers Assemble"; the Fantastic Four's is "Johnny, WAIT!"----Mark Waid
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #18
Tempest
....What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddamn Batman View Post
And then Superman wakes up, screaming like a girl. He looks around, and breathes a sigh of relief. "Thank God, it was only a dream! Who the hell is Batman?" He closes his eyes again, and standing outside his window is a huge Bat-monster with red eyes... The end
That's the alternate ending. The real ending is that there is a space continuum quantum boom tube that leaps this universe into another dimension, and everyone is saved!

Then Batman and Superman have a date with Lois, who brings her friend Diana, and they have a really, really fun time together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Say goodbye to the moon.
Or Saturn. I mean really, do we honestly need it?

T.H.E.M.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #19
Loki882
Side-Kick

I think that Snyder's "now what" comment actually means that the action will be very different this time around, not that it will necessarily be more destructive.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
That's the alternate ending. The real ending is that there is a space continuum quantum boom tube that leaps this universe into another dimension, and everyone is saved!
Makes sense!

Quote:
Then Batman and Superman have a date with Lois, who brings her friend Diana, and they have a really, really fun time together.
Yeah, we need a montage here. Superman, Batman, Lois and Diana at a carnival, Superman wins a teddy bear, Batman and Diana in a haunted house. Diana is scared, but Batman just smokes his pipe and laughs: "silly woman!". The whole gang eating ice cream together... And it ends with Superman winking at us.

Post-credits scene: Lex Luthor in his laboratory, with bandages and a crutch, cursing Superman and Batman for making him look like a fool. He talks with a professor about Hitler clones, when he suddenly hears a chilling laugh. He turns. It's the Joker, pumped full of Venom, like in Arkham Asylum. He's voiced by Sean Connery: "Caped freaksh terrorizesh. Wait till they get a load of me!"

And that's how you end a superhero movie

Old 09-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I think that Snyder's "now what" comment actually means that the action will be very different this time around, not that it will necessarily be more destructive.
That's what I thought as well. But you never know.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #22
MrMaooz
Buck Naked

Personal carnage.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #23
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

I want to see Aunt Carnage.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
2/9/15
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #24
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Something on the level of the Iron Man climax

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
I think the city destructing is done for... BRING ON THE NATURAL DISASTERS!!! Really, a few spectacular sequences where Superman must use his power to both save individuals in the sights of some huge natural phenomenon while also trying to save a greater population of people, all with some insane time limit would be sick as all hell get out!! Now just imagine if, in some way, it's Luthor behind it all? It would be something different from the first film, that's for sure.
You mean like an earthquake in California? Or an earthquake in Metropolis caused by a Kryptonite continent?

You know, this all sounds very familiar.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote