The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #126
sf2
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
It'll probably finish it's run with $291 million which is as you said still **** good for an origin film. I'm kind of bummed that they didn't at least see fit to put it back in IMAX for a week as I never got to see it in that format. It might be wishful thinking on my part, but if it gets enough Academy Award technical nominations, score, costume, sound etc that WB might see fit to put it in IMAX theaters sometime in January. I'll wish in one hand, and crap in the other and see which fills up first lol!
Me too. 9M short. Thought it could crawl like SR to the round number.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
sf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #127
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Man Of Steel logically ended up in the "Toss-up" category of BoM's breaking down on summer's releases:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3724&p=.htm

Quote:
Man of Steel: Zack Snyder-directed Superman reboot Man of Steel set a June opening weekend record with an incredible $116.6 million ($128.7 million including Thursday night grosses). Unfortunately, lukewarm word-of-mouth caused the movie to collapse after opening weekend, and it will wind up earning less than $300 million at the domestic box office. Add in good overseas figures ($360 million and counting) and Man of Steel is absolutely going to turn a profit. Still, the much-publicized decision to add Batman to the Man of Steel sequel suggests that this wasn't the kind of runaway success that Warner Bros. was hoping for.
It pretty much confirms what a few were saying about how the film performed (good but not great) and BO being one of the reasons why its not getting an actual solo-sequel.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #128
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
Man Of Steel logically ended up in the "Toss-up" category of BoM's breaking down on summer's releases:

It pretty much confirms what a few were saying about how the film performed (good but not great) and BO being one of the reasons why its not getting an actual solo-sequel.
Ok then why no re-release
if a studio is unsatisfied about a movies gross that is still in theathers then why not do a re-release
form my understanding as long as mos grossed the more than half a billion
the studio is happy
mos is still I. Theaters and already has out grosses Superman returns in b.o and dvd sales
I say WB is happy
and people should stop trying to make it a failure
Because if you compare mos to the comic book movies that have can out in the last 8 years
and I can only think of 4 comic movies that have grossed more
dk, dkr, avengers, im3,
hmmm all those seems like sequel even the avengers had development before it came out and the only one that isnt a sequel but a bulit up form 5 stories
So the only comic book movies to out gross mos already had more movies leading up to them
imo
good job mos mite not have made my prediction of a billion
but its surely is on the better half of it and Batman has always been in tge plans if not how in the world are we ever gonna get a JL focusing on one character
which that already had happen with nolans batman
it single handed put JL on the back burner

Last edited by dalonewolf; 09-05-2013 at 04:49 PM.
dalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #129
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:

No it doesn't. That's only Ray Subers' opinion which amounts to very little. Finding someone who shares your opinion doesn't confirm the opinion as fact.

Unless you prove that WB was going to have a sequel without Batman and that their BO goal was less than the results, then it's all bullcrap. It's far more logical to think WB planned to have Batman in the sequel before the movie was even released.

"Proper-sequel" is a silly undefined talking point that whiners made up much like grimdark.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #130
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalonewolf View Post
Ok then why no re-release
if a studio is unsatisfied about a movies gross that is still in theathers then why not do a re-release
Because its current average per theater is lower than Iron Man 3's wich is a 2 1/2 months older release. Because Now You See Me made more than MoS last week end with a lower theater count. They don't see the point in investing even more money in a movie that doesn't currently make enough.

As for all of your other points, may I just remind you that MoS has a higher production budget than any than any of the 4 movies you came up with (blatantly ignoring The Amazing Spider-man and Spider-Man 3 in the meantime while both made more than MoS FYI, TASM being an origin story) save for TDKR's 250 millions. That's the only reason why MoS's current numbers despite being good aren't fully satisfactory. You don't spend 25 more millions than Marvel in your summer tentpole film if you expect to earn about half of what the competition gets. It's a simple as that. WB had high expectations for this film (and I won't quote Robinov again), irrealistic expectations if you ask me, but they invested their money accordingly and didn't get as much as they wanted. That's why the movie is not getting a proper sequel.

Now if you intend to keep on going with this debate you're welcome debate with Ray Subers (the BoM guy I was quoting), you can hit him up on twitter @raysubers and tell him how happy WB is with MoS numbers despite everything pointing to the contrary.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #131
STARMAN
Side-Kick

On another note, almost everyone has MOS at 2.7 in Japan. Not 3.5.

STARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #132
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Unless you prove that WB was going to have a sequel without Batman and that their BO goal was less than the results, then it's all bullcrap. It's far more logical to think WB planned to have Batman in the sequel before the movie was even released.
Their are a few quotes out there suggesting that Snyder was willing to proceed with a proper sequel to MoS and was then "forced" to go along with WB's plan. That doesn't strike me as a creative decision made well in advance and suggest that Snyder was at least carrying the wish to direct a proper sequel and not a crossover film until a few months ago.

And as for BO numbers well, you have Robinov's stance. He was expecting MoS to be WB's highest grossing film ever.

I don't think why it would be more logical to think WB planned along ago to have Batman in the sequel, that's exactly where I don't follow your reasonning (and I could ask you in return what proves that WB had a WF movie planned all along, that wouldn't be very interesting don't you think ?). And I don't buy the "Batman featured in the Superman film" thingie either. Everything so far points to a team-up film. You just don't hire a 2 time Oscar winner acclaimed director, force him to drop all his current projects for a cameo in a Superman movie.

Honestly I think WB entertained until very recently 2 options, a strict sequel or a team up film and they opted with the latter when MoS failed to perform on par with their expectations. And I don't think it's a bad decision all in all, I even think it makes a lot of sense business wise, especially if they wanted to release a follow-up to MoS during the very competitive summer 2015. It'll even give them some ground to expect 1b+ from their movie. But it's a business decision more than anything, warranted by financial considerations and rushed because they were constantly outdone by competition for the past 4 years or so when it comes to comic book movies and because they are looking for a franchise able to deliver substantial return on investments on regular basis now that they are done with Harry Potter films. And I just can't buy the idea of MoS' numbers not playing a major role in a business decision.

Last edited by JKKS085; 09-05-2013 at 07:29 PM.
JKKS085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #133
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
No it doesn't. That's only Ray Subers' opinion which amounts to very little. Finding someone who shares your opinion doesn't confirm the opinion as fact.

"Proper-sequel" is a silly undefined talking point that whiners made up much like grimdark.
Think u some fans are mad about batman being in mos2 I love it
It lets me know that a proper JL is on the way
why could anyone as a fan of DC not want this why should we wait another 3 years for WB to introduce another DC character of any sort I know many want a solo flim but I want a team-up dc has never had a shared universe its about time they step up their game and make the right decision and go with the team up to get everyone ready for the JL in a short period of time
like I said I believe WB are only going for the big3 JL
superman,batman, WW
and inteoduce more characters after in solo flims and then add them to the JL2
its the only logical explanation for the superman/batman move
and could be why WB didnt announce any other heroes getting a solo flim
I.think they plan to announce JL and GL, Flash later like around the releases of superman/batman for hype

Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #134
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Because its current average per theater is lower than Iron Man 3's wich is a 2 1/2 months older release. Because Now You See Me made more than MoS last week end with a lower theater count. They don't see the point in investing even more money in a movie that doesn't currently make enough.

As for all of your other points, may I just remind you that MoS has a higher production budget than any than any of the 4 movies you came up with (blatantly ignoring The Amazing Spider-man and Spider-Man 3 in the meantime while both made more than MoS FYI, TASM being an origin story) save for TDKR's 250 millions. That's the only reason why MoS's current numbers despite being good aren't fully satisfactory. You don't spend 25 more millions than Marvel in your summer tentpole film if you expect to earn about half of what the competition gets. It's a simple as that. WB had high expectations for this film (and I won't quote Robinov again), irrealistic expectations if you ask me, but they invested their money accordingly and didn't get as much as they wanted. That's why the movie is not getting a proper sequel.

Now if you intend to keep on going with this debate you're welcome debate with Ray Subers (the BoM guy I was quoting), you can hit him up on twitter @raysubers and tell him how happy WB is with MoS numbers despite everything pointing to the contrary.
It dosent matter if the budget was higher the quality of the flim is worth its budget
all those other flims was lame on quality and that goes for the avengers as well
And I.totally forgot about tasm but that stilo puts mos at number 5
when we have had many superhero movies in the last 8 years
and u expect me contact the person who wrote the article I want because u quoted it
so now that's what u are saying as well so u have to answer to it as if it was your own words

Old 09-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #135
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
It dosent matter if the budget was higher the quality of the flim is worth its budget
We're not talking about quality, just about money and profitability.
MoS cost more to make than Iron Man 3, The Avengers and The Dark Knight and made much less money than any of those 3 films (and by much less I mean those are 3 1b+ films). Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises while more expensive to produce still have a far better profit ratio than MoS, and made much more money in the end too.

Those are facts.
Quality is a matter of opinion and I, along with some other folks here and there (probably) may be in disagreement.
Please try to keep the discussion on tracks.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #136
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
We're not talking about quality, just about money and profitability.
MoS cost more to make than Iron Man 3, The Avengers and The Dark Knight and made much less money than any of those 3 films (and by much less I mean those are 3 1b+ films). Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man and The Dark Knight Rises while more expensive to produce still have a far better profit ratio than MoS, and made much more money in the end too.

Those are facts.
Quality is a matter of opinion and I, along with some other folks here and there (probably) may be in disagreement.
Please try to keep the discussion on tracks.
Comparing the BO performance of the first movie to the 3rd movie of other franchises make no sense. You don't need to break a billion to be deemed successful.

Let's not be biased now.

The fact is WB showed no disappointment in Man of Steel's numbers. In fact, they were happy to cite it's performance in their official press release.

Last edited by fanboiii; 09-05-2013 at 07:00 PM.
fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #137
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Comparing the BO performance of the first movie to the 3rd movie of other franchises make no sense. You don't need to break a billion to be deemed successful.

Let's not be biased now.

The fact is WB showed no disappointment in Man of Steel's numbers. In fact, they were happy to cite it's performance in their official press release.
Well I didn't started with the comparisons. However it may also be interesting to take in consideration that for the first film in a franchise MoS has an incredibly high production budget (higher than any MS film so far including sequels, higher than Batman Begins and The Dark Knight). Hence the high expectation the likes of Robinov displayed. How much you spend in making a movie has an incidence on how much you expect in return. You don't need to break a billion in grosses to be deemed successful as long as the initial investment isn't, let's say, unreasonnably high.

Now as for WB PR corporate BS, I can't help but recall Dan Fellman, head of the studio's domestic distribution, saying that the studio was very happy with Green Lantern's numbers.

Last edited by JKKS085; 09-05-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:28 PM   #138
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:

Let's not be biased now.

Thank you I dont see how a movie makes 657mil ww and 170mill product placement and who knows how the bluray/dvd sales are gonna go which I think will b3 really good on a 225 budget and will be considered a faliure

Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #139
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thank you I dont see how a movie makes 657mil ww and 170mill product placement and who knows how the bluray/dvd sales are gonna go which I think will b3 really good on a 225 budget and will be considered a faliure
No one said it was a failure, it's just not a gangbuster success. Wether you like or not.

It is 160M in product placements not 170. And MoS does not have a monopoly over revenues from product placements. Every single blockbuster from at least the past 30 years made some money out of it (and it may even be older than that, think the James Bond movies, ET and the Reese's candies ...).

Last edited by JKKS085; 09-05-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #140
Migu-EL
Side-Kick

Anyone claiming that Batman wasn't planned to be used in the MOS sequel before the movie released and was only used because WB was unhappy with Man of Steel's performance, the quote below from the SHH article says otherwise.

Quote:
According to The Hollywood Reporter, talks began between Snyder, Warner Bros. and Affleck earlier this year. After completing work on Man of Steel, Snyder reportedly had an idea for a follow-up and the studio began to gauge interest from actors, including the rumored Josh Brolin and Ryan Gosling. Affleck was open to the idea and began discussing the story and the character with Snyder and when he liked what he heard, negotiations began for him to appear.

Last edited by Migu-EL; 09-05-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Migu-EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #141
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
No one said it was a failure, it's just not a gangbuster success. Wether you like or not.

It is 160M in product placements not 170. And MoS does not have a monopoly over revenues from product placements. Every single blockbuster from at least the past 30 years made some money out of it (and it may even be older than that, think the James Bond movies, ET and the Reese's candies ...).
I just tested u by saying 170mil because I know only someone who really thinks mos wasnt a success will worry about a silly $10mil typo on a subject as product placement.
anything to down the movie
either if u take that 10mil away mos still beat out all of those billion dollar movies in product placement
But no matter what truth u hear its never gonna satisfy you even if mos3 do 1.4bil you will find some kinda way to make that a bad thing or a not so good achievement

Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #142
The Silent Traveler
Side-Kick

It's funny how fans deem its BO's performance as a failure or a success.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...n-steel-577775

Quote:
"Man of Steel is an extraordinary achievement by wonderful talents on both sides of the camera," said Sue Kroll, WB president of worldwide marketing and international distribution.
The article indicates that the WB is clearly happy with its massive success.

The Silent Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:33 PM   #143
joseph

Quote:
It is 160M in product placements not 170.
OoooOooHHHH, touché.

joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #144
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARMAN View Post
On another note, almost everyone has MOS at 2.7 in Japan. Not 3.5.
Yup. 2.7M was widely reported.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #145
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:

In his defense many sites reported $170 million for product placement and some reported $160 million so who knows what the correct amount is.

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #146
The Silent Traveler
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085

I read somewhere that its product placement is used to cover the marketing budget, I'm not sure. Am I right?

Last edited by The Silent Traveler; 09-05-2013 at 11:02 PM.
The Silent Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #147
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Their are a few quotes out there suggesting that Snyder was willing to proceed with a proper sequel to MoS and was then "forced" to go along with WB's plan. That doesn't strike me as a creative decision made well in advance and suggest that Snyder was at least carrying the wish to direct a proper sequel and not a crossover film until a few months ago.

And as for BO numbers well, you have Robinov's stance. He was expecting MoS to be WB's highest grossing film ever.

I don't think why it would be more logical to think WB planned along ago to have Batman in the sequel, that's exactly where I don't follow your reasonning (and I could ask you in return what proves that WB had a WF movie planned all along, that wouldn't be very interesting don't you think ?). And I don't buy the "Batman featured in the Superman film" thingie either. Everything so far points to a team-up film. You just don't hire a 2 time Oscar winner acclaimed director, force him to drop all his current projects for a cameo in a Superman movie.

Honestly I think WB entertained until very recently 2 options, a strict sequel or a team up film and they opted with the latter when MoS failed to perform on par with their expectations. And I don't think it's a bad decision all in all, I even think it makes a lot of sense business wise, especially if they wanted to release a follow-up to MoS during the very competitive summer 2015. It'll even give them some ground to expect 1b+ from their movie. But it's a business decision more than anything, warranted by financial considerations and rushed because they were constantly outdone by competition for the past 4 years or so when it comes to comic book movies and because they are looking for a franchise able to deliver substantial return on investments on regular basis now that they are done with Harry Potter films. And I just can't buy the idea of MoS' numbers not playing a major role in a business decision.
At first I thought inserting batman is an aftermath. But seeing how fast they have gotten the story and move into production soon.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #148
kalelvis
Side-Kick

Box office Mojo is finally listing the Japan information and has it at 2.7 for the weekend but at 3.48 mil for the weekend plus early showings. So, whether you want to spin it positive or want to spin in negative, MoS still made 3.48 in Japan through Sunday.

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #149
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo View Post
It's funny how fans deem its BO's performance as a failure or a success.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...n-steel-577775

Yeah funny right ? On the other hand, here's Dan Fellman about Green Lantern's performance at the box office:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/06/2...rn-box-office/

Quote:
“We’re very happy with it,” says Dan Fellman, head of the studio’s domestic distribution. Fellman cites the film’s “very respectable” CinemaScore of a “B,” and its healthy grosses on Father’s Day.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #150
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby-Doo View Post
I read somewhere that its product placement is used to cover the marketing budget, I'm not sure. Am I right?
If they actually got something around 160/170 millions from partners that should indeed cover for the 150 millions they reportedly spent on advertising.
But then again that's not news, every blockbuster makes money out of product placements. And the so-called "record income from marketing partners" only comes from the fact that it's the first time any studio goes public with this kind of informations.

Last edited by JKKS085; 09-06-2013 at 09:24 AM.