The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #201
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Hopefully they'd have shortened the fight scenes for more scenes of character development (not saying the two are mutually exclusive) but with nearly 5 minutes for Zod vs Jor-El, 10 minutes for the Smallville fight (from "you think you can threaten my mother!" to "this man is not our enemy"), 10 minutes for Superman battling the world engine (from tendrils to "It's up to you and Hamilton now") and then another 5 minutes bringing down Zod's ship and then 10 minutes for Superman vs Zod. Is it all necessary?
All that fight scenes were incredible.. even the world engine was... THE SMALLVILLE BATTLE OSUTANDING.. ZOD VS JOR-EL (GREAT) and Supes vs Zod and of course Faora vs hardy and his soldiers was great... this movie imo handled even better than the avengers(my second fights scenes favorite) and it was more oustanding and IMO was the best fight scenes i´ve ever seen... but each people has different tastes I´m seeing that now

Last edited by John-An; 09-13-2013 at 09:45 PM.
John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #202
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I'm not saying the fight scenes were not of quality, I just don't think they're necessary, The Dark Knight Rises was over 20 minutes longer than Man of Steel, but had only 3 major fight scenes (Plane heist, sewer fight, city hall fight) totalling about 15 minutes, but consensus shows that The Dark Knight Rises is considered a better film. Because instead of going for just masses of fight scenes, it developed the characters more. Same can be said for it's two predecessors.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #203
Project862006
Banned User

batman isn't superman thats like comparing thor to dare devil

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #204
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

No it's not. Not even a little bit, because I'm not talking about powerset, but the length of the fights in comparison to the length of the film.

But here's Avengers fight scenes:

Captain America & Iron Man vs Loki (under 2 minutes)
Iron Man vs Thor vs Captain America (4 minutes)
Hulk vs Thor (2 minutes)
Black Widow vs Hawkeye (1 minute)
Battle of New York (20 minutes)

29 minutes for a film the same length as Man of Steel in comparison to Man of Steel's 40 minutes.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #205
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
No it's not. Not even a little bit, because I'm not talking about powerset, but the length of the fights in comparison to the length of the film.

Hulk vs Thor (2 minutes)

29 minutes for a film the same length as Man of Steel in comparison to Man of Steel's 40 minutes.
Those scenes wasnt even that long

dalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #206
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
Let me ask you guys something, if Warner had cut the budget...let's say between 150-180 mill instead of 225...do you guys think there would have been a significant difference in the final product? Where do you guys think most of that money went into? The battle scenes? Just something I've been thinking about.
Did it include the expenses of the failed attempt? Like they did to SR? It's hard to believe they would allow a budget for a new superman movie more than SR. Since he hasn't been proven a success movie wise.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #207
cronosred
Side-Kick

Quote:

Hulk vs Thor (2 minutes)

You forgot to add in the attacks on SHIELD, one of which the Black Widow vs Hawkeye fight was a part of.

cronosred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #208
batfreakforever
A real fan

Batman will own MOS2.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #209
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by batfreakforever View Post
Batman will own MOS2.
Sure he will. That's the whole reason.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #210
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Sure he will. That's the whole reason.
No Brainiac will own Man Of Steel 2

Old 09-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #211
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Did it include the expenses of the failed attempt? Like they did to SR? It's hard to believe they would allow a budget for a new superman movie more than SR. Since he hasn't been proven a success movie wise.
What failed attempt ? They factored in costs from Superman Lives and Superman Flyby because both films were green-lit and went as far as pre-production stage before being cancelled. That's why SR got an extra 70 millions or so added to its 204 millions pb. I have never heard of anything like that before Man Of Steel's. So even if WB got some other people developping different ideas for a Superman reboot its not like they spent any money on it (or nothing significant anyways).

However if you factor in inflation, Superman Returns budget would sit around 236 millions these days so all in all the film was indeed more expensive than Man Of Steel.

Now as for Man Of Steel's budget, we got numerous reports as late as june 2013 reporting a budget of 175 millions before WB comes with the 225 number. If I had to guess I'd say that the movie got its greenlight with a 175 millions pb and a few budget increases (probably for the VFX) along the way. WB has a long history of movies going over-budget or getting budget increases during production.

Last edited by JKKS085; 09-16-2013 at 08:41 AM.
JKKS085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #212
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
What failed attempt ? They factored in costs from Superman Lives and Superman Flyby because both films were green-lit and went as far as pre-production stage before being cancelled. That's why SR got an extra 70 millions or so added to its 204 millions pb. I have never heard of anything like that before Man Of Steel's.
I’m not an accountant... but I have doubts that expenditures from aborted projects get tacked onto the official production budgets of different movies. It’s fairly common (for instance) for studios to hire a six-figure screenwriter to create a script for a movie that’s never filmed. Clearly, this outlay has to get recorded on the books somewhere as a “write-off” (maybe as a “capital expense” or “research & development,” etc.). So the same thing, it seems to me, would have been done for Superman Lives and Flyby. But even if SR had to absorb those costs, that’s (as you say) where the losses would have been recorded. MOS is free and clear.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #213
kalelvis
Side-Kick

Quote:
What failed attempt ? They factored in costs from Superman Lives and Superman Flyby because both films were green-lit and went as far as pre-production stage before being cancelled. That's why SR got an extra 70 millions or so added to its 204 millions pb. I have never heard of anything like that before Man Of Steel's. So even if WB got some other people developping different ideas for a Superman reboot its not like they spent any money on it (or nothing significant anyways).

However if you factor in inflation, Superman Returns budget would sit around 236 millions these days so all in all the film was indeed more expensive than Man Of Steel.

Now as for Man Of Steel's budget, we got numerous reports as late as june 2013 reporting a budget of 175 millions before WB comes with the 225 number. If I had to guess I'd say that the movie got its greenlight with a 175 millions pb and a few budget increases (probably for the VFX) along the way. WB has a long history of movies going over-budget or getting budget increases during production.
I think we can piece together what happened to the MOS budget pretty easily and it ties directly to the most controversial part of the movie. It was widely reported that Snyder came up with a new action scene that he had to get approved by WB. It is also known that Snyder convinced Goyer and together they convinced Nolan that Superman have to kill Zod. So, at least part of the bump in budget was to pay to extend the final fight scene.

Just like SR there is some big budget waste as well. SR had the entire "return to Krypton" scene produced but it went unused in the movie. Form the behind scenes clips and picture, it is clear that the shot a for more extensive Oil Rig scene and that scene was edited down to the very short 3 shot scene that made the final film.

SvB should have a far more controlled budget because there is no Krypton to rebuild. I doubt we will see any city wide destruction in the sequel either; first, they already did that in the first movie and second the backlash was horrible (and in my opinion undeserved).

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #214
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post
I think we can piece together what happened to the MOS budget pretty easily and it ties directly to the most controversial part of the movie. It was widely reported that Snyder came up with a new action scene that he had to get approved by WB. It is also known that Snyder convinced Goyer and together they convinced Nolan that Superman have to kill Zod. So, at least part of the bump in budget was to pay to extend the final fight scene.
It seems to be the case that in earlier drafts of the script, Superman dispatched Zod in some non-lethal fashion (presumably, via the “phantom zone” - the fate that befell Faora and others.). But one way or another, a dramatic scene of the villain’s defeat had to take place. And it’s not obvious to me that the revised version would have been any more expensive than the original. (Indeed, a brief mano-a-mano culminating in a headlock was probably cheaper than another aerial battle over the PZ entrance.)

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #215
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post

Just like SR there is some big budget waste as well. SR had the entire "return to Krypton" scene produced but it went unused in the movie. Form the behind scenes clips and picture, it is clear that the shot a for more extensive Oil Rig scene and that scene was edited down to the very short 3 shot scene that made the final film.

SvB should have a far more controlled budget because there is no Krypton to rebuild. I doubt we will see any city wide destruction in the sequel either; first, they already did that in the first movie and second the backlash was horrible (and in my opinion undeserved).
Maybe it indeed has something to do with the rewrites of the third act. There is a strong possibility that they decided to extend its lenght/scope during production (and that would also explain why it doesn't flow well with the rest of the story IMO). But Dr. points out something quite interesting as we don't really know wich version of Zod's fate was less expensive to craft so it possibly have something to do with the all scope of the final battle.

As for SvB, I don't know. WB knows that they have a billion dollar hit on their hands (unless the film turns out to be truly terrible). I don't see them taking lower financial risks than what they took on Man Of Steel or even Green Lantern. I think that at the very least we won't see any budget increase but I can see them going as far as spending the same amount they spent on The Dark Knight Rises (i.e. 250 millions).

Old 09-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #216
kalelvis
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
It seems to be the case that in earlier drafts of the script, Superman dispatched Zod in some non-lethal fashion (presumably, via the “phantom zone” - the fate that befell Faora and others.). But one way or another, a dramatic scene of the villain’s defeat had to take place. And it’s not obvious to me that the revised version would have been any more expensive than the original. (Indeed, a brief mano-a-mano culminating in a headlock was probably cheaper than another aerial battle over the PZ entrance.)
There was a report before the movie came out that Snyder came up with a new action scene that had required a bump in the budget. It was only after the movie came out that we learned that Snyder and Goyer had to convince Nolan to let them kill Zod. To me those two stories add up to what I wrote in the earlier post. So, it wasn't my assumption that Zod's death was the cause for the bump in the budget. I was only making the connection between the two stories.

It is possible the new action scene proposed by Snyder was the World Engine battle, in which I would have rather seen more kryptonian fisticuffs.

Hopefully we will learn more of the production details on the blu ray.

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #217
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronosred View Post
You forgot to add in the attacks on SHIELD, one of which the Black Widow vs Hawkeye fight was a part of.
I don't consider that a fight scene, so much as a general action scene, which is why the oil rig and school bus, and Jor-El pursuing the Codex and fighting Zod's men aren't listed amongst Man of Steel's fights.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #218
ModernClarkKent
Side-Kick

61K weekend = past the 291 million part, down to 91 theatres though now

ModernClarkKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #219
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernClarkKent View Post
61K weekend = past the 291 million part, down to 91 theatres though now
Its ok by this time 2 years form now SvB will be in the history books and still gaining

Old 09-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #220
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

HEY GUYS... I´ve been here for a while following this great site but I've never presented myself... Thanks for being part of this wonderful... my username is Superman of steel.. whatever you guys need I'm here

John-An is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #221
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalonewolf View Post
Its ok by this time 2 years form now SvB will be in the history books and still gaining
Well according to WB's CEO, so far it's Batman Vs Superman, not Superman Vs Batman (so much for the Superman movie featuring Batman) and history is still to be written on the box office front.

There's plenty reason to be reasonably satisfied with MoS' numbers so really no need to resort to a crystal ball to be happy about Superman's performances.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #222
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well according to WB's CEO, so far it's Batman Vs Superman, not Superman Vs Batman (so much for the Superman movie featuring Batman) and history is still to be written on the box office front.

There's plenty reason to be reasonably satisfied with MoS' numbers so really no need to resort to a crystal ball to be happy about Superman's performances.
Form my understanding the name thats second is the home team the name that's first is the challenger

Old 09-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #223
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:

Im not looking forward to batman/superman to a sequel but a start of the dc cbm universe most of you missed the reason of the team up its to set up the justice league
many people are crying about a proper sequel but I'm like most comic book fans I love the ideal only because I've been waiting my whole life for this and what I mean by this is
WB/DC finally got the balls to pursue a shared universe and stop listing to those critics who said a JL movie wouldn't work and it's about time we as fans gotten something different instead of the same whole things we have had 7 batman movies 6 superman movies 1 green lantern 1 jonah hex wheres the rest of the characters form my understanding DC has thousands but somehow we only really have superman and batman after this team up Wb/Dc will ve going all out.
and thats the picture I get form making the move they have made with the BvS

Old 09-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #224
sf2
Side-Kick

I think MOS did great with the box office number. Consider Superman was not a proven successful franchise. Henry was out of job for 2 years after he has done MOS as people has no confidence in superman movie.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #225
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Quote:
I think MOS did great with the box office number. Consider Superman was not a proven successful franchise. Henry was out of job for 2 years after he has done MOS as people has no confidence in superman movie.
What? I'm sure Henry has had quite a few scripts and offers but he didn't like them, he was also waiting for confirmation on whether he would be back as Superman again.

He's doing man from uncle now as it's what he wants to do,ie a decent sized movie and role that fits his character well and will look good on his filmography,especially when he goes for Bond again in the future, and it fits into the Supes Bats filming schedule.

Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote