The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 AM   #1
BatmanVSuperman
Side-Kick

Default Is the darker visual tone alright with most fans, or do some want more vibrancy?

Everything is looking great so far. I'm very excited for BvS!

There is some hope I have though, for some more vibrancy in terms of the color palette for the film itself.

We have seen a darker WW suit, Batman (which makes sense of course) in black and white/dark settings for photos. The Superman image is dark with rain falling, etc...

Are there any worries that the film is going to be a little too dark/gritty visually?

I'd certainly like to see this balanced out with some really great color'ific Superman scenes that display him using his powers to save people of course in the daytime too

Old 07-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Default Re: Is the darker visual tone alright with most fans, or do some want more vibrancy?

Footage looked great to me.

This will likely be akin to the darker middle chapter of a trilogy.

I could still see them starting Superman in bright sunny rebuilt Metropolis doing his thing, just to establish the contrast of their status quo.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 07-27-2014 at 12:57 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:53 AM   #3
D.P.
Banned User

Default Re: Is the darker visual tone alright with most fans, or do some want more vibrancy?

No. They have established the tone. This is the tone we're getting moving forward. It will be in line with what MOS looked like.

You're trying to stir the pot.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
Jekecy
Side-Kick

With Batman in the picture it's going to feel more appropriate than MOS. So there is that.

Personally I'm not a fan of trying to coat everything in grit and grime, so for future DCU movies I'm hoping it's not the case.

One thing I tire of however is the suggestion a desire for a "light" palette equates to camp. That will never not get irritating. People need to either go outside or watch 90% of other movies to see color isn't bad or indicative of lighter affair.

Jekecy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:59 AM   #5
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

I still don't feel MOS was all that dark and it's going to take more than one scene in BvS to convince me that this movie won't have its brighter, more hopeful moments.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #6
Harley2004
Side-Kick

So many of these movies go the other way, and are way too over the top. Not just TASM2. It's good to have variety and something that stands out. This movie will.

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:08 AM   #7
blumatic
Side-Kick

Although the teaser was great. I still have no idea what the film is about. I see people complaining about this film will be like TDKR and will make Supes look bad. But I can't see that happening if this is truly a DCCU with Superman doing more movies.

As far as hope, I don't know. If this leads to a justice League movie I assume there will be a big threat.

While the pics and teaser got us excited it leaves us no clue as to direction.

blumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #8
D.P.
Banned User

Mind you, MOS wasn't dark at all.

Watchmen was dark. The Nolan Trilogy was dark.

Huge chunks of MOS took place in the daytime and there were tons of "hopeful" and "optimistic" scenes.

Part of me thinks this boils down to the fact that the movie didn't look like a living crayon box/cartoon, therefore it automatically becomes dark and gritty in their eyes.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:12 AM   #9
BatmanVSuperman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post

Be gone.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:16 AM   #10
IncognitoWalrus
Tusks of Steel

IMO, darker does not equate to muted colors.

MOS didn't have a dark visual tone, just kind of drained. I like it, though I did think it went a little overboard sometimes with the yellow on Supes's shield being too dark.

TLM 4/5 Divergent 2.5/5 CA: TWS 4/5 TASM 2 2.5/5 Godzilla 4/5 X: DoFP 4.5/5 Maleficent 2.5/5 EoTmrw 4/5 TFiOS 3.5/5 22 JS 3.5/5 HTTYD 2 4.5/5 T:AoE 2/5 DeliverUs 0.5/5 DawnApes 5/5 Boyhood 5/5 GotG 4.5/5 Happy Christmas 3/5 TMNT 1.5/5
IncognitoWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 AM   #11
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Part of me thinks this boils down to the fact that the movie didn't look like a living crayon box/cartoon, therefore it automatically becomes dark and gritty in their eyes.
Hah. There it is.

Jekecy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:34 AM   #12
BatmanVSuperman
Side-Kick

Leave MOS aside for the moment and look at the small supply of media thus far for BvS. I was not surprised of course by the Batman pics being darker, but was surprised they didn't contrast with brighter Superman/WW reveal pics.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:43 AM   #13
Reiter
Banned User

Quote:
Mind you, MOS wasn't dark at all.

Watchmen was dark. The Nolan Trilogy was dark.

Huge chunks of MOS took place in the daytime and there were tons of "hopeful" and "optimistic" scenes.

I respectfully disagree. Except maybe Rises, the other two were fine. Even at their darkest moments, we'd still get a funny scene, usually by Lucious Fox. He would smile and poke fun at Bruce and it would lighten up the atmosphere for a few seconds. The "three buttons is a little ninities", "should do fine against cats", Bruce almost killing himself with the batarangs that flew out the gauntlets as he was examining them, "does it come in black", "i never thought we could market them to the billionaire underwater spelunking crowd", "like a b... like a sumbmarine Mr Wayne, like a submarine", "death by exile", or how about the entire scene in the hospital in Rises and the doctor telling Bruce about his knees while he smiles?

And just because it was so glorious, here is the death by exile scene: #

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

MoS didnt have that and you know what, i think i know why. Usually the banter and funny scenes come in the office, whenever Lois calls him Smallville, tries to steal his story and all that. Clark didnt have the job yet, so hopefully in BvS we will get that.

Finally, it isnt just about the jokes, it's also about the general feel of the movies. Even at their worst moments, the Nolan movies felt like there was hope on the horizon and that Batman would win the day triumphant, while Zimmer's drums would echo. In TDK he basically lost and yet that final scene couldnt give me any more goosebumps as he "rides to the sunset". In MoS Superman just beat up the bad guys and somehow it didnt feel like a triumphant victory because it ended with a necksnap, a hollow victory.

tl;dr: I hope that with Batman in the picture, they'll leave the darkness to him, and let Superman be happy for once. He never was in MoS.

Reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:54 AM   #14
dario2739
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Footage looked great to me.

This will likely be akin to the darker middle chapter of a trilogy.

I could still see them starting Superman in bright sunny rebuilt Metropolis doing his thing, just to establish the contrast of their status quo.
I agree - Metropolis wil be bright, Gotham will be dark... as they should be.

dario2739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #15
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

There was a very Noir kind of feel, aesthetically, to MoS, and that's been carried over to BvS: DoJ. If anyone has played the PS3 game Heavy Rain, the visual look that Snyder and Co. have settled on for the first two installments in the DCCU is very reminiscent of the visual look of that game.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
Citadel30
Local Boob

Loved the tone. Perfect setting for Batman. And yes... Superman looks like he wants to play.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #17
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Is the darker visual tone alright with most fans, or do some want more vibrancy?

Vibrancy ? No.

If anything, the tone should be darker and ominous .

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #18
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

It would be weird to see any vibrancy.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #19
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I still don't feel MOS was all that dark and it's going to take more than one scene in BvS to convince me that this movie won't have its brighter, more hopeful moments.
Seconded.

*splat*
Bathead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
Flint Marko
Money never sleeps

I don't know if I would call MoS "dark" in the traditional sense, but it was dour and humorless which doesn't really fit the character IMO. As I've said before, I don't think that fits Superman at all. There wasn't any real need for that and I think the film suffered for it.
Yet what's done is done, and clearly that is the aesthetic and feeling established for this next film. That's fine, as I think it could work, but given that Superman has now found a home in Metropolis and found his purpose in this world, he should be more upbeat and settled than he was in the previous movie. Superman, his supporting cast, and Metropolis in general should be more bright and upbeat, to provide a foil to Batman and how Gotham will look/feel.
As long as they make an effort to show Superman being a brighter, more optimistic character inhabiting a brighter and more optimistic world, they will have succeeded in my eyes.
That one image released of Superman in the rain doesn't exactly get my hopes up, but it's only one image and I'm not going to start attacking the films tone when I haven't seen enough to really draw forth a conclusion. I'll do my best to remain cautiously optimistic.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #21
SofNascimento
Just a simple droid here.

I had little problem with MoS in that regard. Superman was a mope and that should change, but I was with the overall look of the film.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
blumatic
Side-Kick

I really don't think Gotham will be the dark city and Metropolis will be the vibrant city. I believe you will see the difference in terms for free building structures and feel of the city. But I don't think Gotham will be in constant rain storm while Metropolis has perfect weather 24/7.

I see these cities as Chicago v New York. Big cities with big businesses. The mood of the story will change the atmosphere of which ever city the story takes place.

Old 07-27-2014, 01:51 PM   #23
Chip Chipperson
Dr. Pavel I'm CIA

Quote:
No. They have established the tone. This is the tone we're getting moving forward. It will be in line with what MOS looked like.

I don't think we've seen enough to make that statement.

BELIEVE IN THE FLECK.
Chip Chipperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:56 PM   #24
blumatic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post
I don't know if I would call MoS "dark" in the traditional sense, but it was dour and humorless which doesn't really fit the character IMO. As I've said before, I don't think that fits Superman at all. There wasn't any real need for that and I think the film suffered for it.
Yet what's done is done, and clearly that is the aesthetic and feeling established for this next film. That's fine, as I think it could work, but given that Superman has now found a home in Metropolis and found his purpose in this world, he should be more upbeat and settled than he was in the previous movie. Superman, his supporting cast, and Metropolis in general should be more bright and upbeat, to provide a foil to Batman and how Gotham will look/feel.
As long as they make an effort to show Superman being a brighter, more optimistic character inhabiting a brighter and more optimistic world, they will have succeeded in my eyes.
That one image released of Superman in the rain doesn't exactly get my hopes up, but it's only one image and I'm not going to start attacking the films tone when I haven't seen enough to really draw forth a conclusion. I'll do my best to remain cautiously optimistic.
Well from where MOS left off and where DOJ is going, I doubt we see Superman upbeat. I say more confident as to who he is and what he must do. But the battle of building trust is a tough one. I expect some frustration on Superman's part. And I look forward to see him overcoming these emotional and mental challenges.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #25
Magic Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanVSuperman View Post
Everything is looking great so far. I'm very excited for BvS!

There is some hope I have though, for some more vibrancy in terms of the color palette for the film itself.

We have seen a darker WW suit, Batman (which makes sense of course) in black and white/dark settings for photos. The Superman image is dark with rain falling, etc...

Are there any worries that the film is going to be a little too dark/gritty visually?

I'd certainly like to see this balanced out with some really great color'ific Superman scenes that display him using his powers to save people of course in the daytime too
I'm a big fan of dark and gritty tones for DC films. Nice contrast with other lighter-brighter CBMs. That said, I think there will be some happy moments in BvS. As for the suits, I don't think they will be as dark onscreen as in these initial shots. Snyder is likely intentionally obscuring details and colors to keep us talking.