The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 05-01-2014, 11:02 PM   #401
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Default Re: Hans Zimmer is scoring Batman vs Superman

I actually really liked Zimmer's Amazing Spider-Man 2 score. Absolutely nothing like his Nolan scores or Man of Steel score, the man uses the electronics creatively and actually uses the full orchestra this time. Not to mention the theme is quite hummable. In fact, if I didn't see Zimmer's name on the movie, I would've sworn it was someone else.

I'd like Zimmer to take that approach to this movie, and incorporate his motif from Man of Steel in.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:35 AM   #402
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I actually really liked Zimmer's Amazing Spider-Man 2 score. Absolutely nothing like his Nolan scores or Man of Steel score, the man uses the electronics creatively and actually uses the full orchestra this time. Not to mention the theme is quite hummable. In fact, if I didn't see Zimmer's name on the movie, I would've sworn it was someone else.

I'd like Zimmer to take that approach to this movie, and incorporate his motif from Man of Steel in.
Looking forward to hearing it.

Just shows he's versatile. I didn't think MoS sounded like TDK so I was happy about that. I love the both but I like distinction. I'm not sure why people are beginning to hate on him. I guess it's like everything else; once a certain level of popularity is reached then it becomes "necessary" to be overly critical.

That said, I'm sure there are those who just never like his material.

lukebrodyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:12 PM   #403
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2Infinity View Post
Any particular themes from MoS Zimmer could develop?
I hope everything is developed. There's strong foundations, but there needs to be more developed cues and motifs-- no more teases that go nowhere. I also hope we get trumpets.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #404
tacit-ronin-
Moria Orc

I hope that Batman's theme will sound completely different from superman's theme and the thing that I am most concerned with Zimmer returning is whether his theme for Batman will sound any different from his work with the Dark knight trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
Casper?
tacit-ronin- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #405
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacit-ronin- View Post
I hope that Batman's theme will sound completely different from superman's theme and the thing that I am most concerned with Zimmer returning is whether his theme for Batman will sound any different from his work with the Dark knight trilogy
They will be different. Zimmer said he'd come back if he can thnik of somethnig else for BAtman as he can't use the Nolan Batman score for this interpretation. So am guessing he's got a new one up his sleeve.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #406
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I was listening to 'Flight' yesterday, and was imagining the rising Superman theme of the start over the logos, and the Americana of 1.41 to 2.10 for the first scene, say of a glorious day over Metropolis and Supes flying around. Now that would be a terrific musical beginning.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:03 PM   #407
lukebrodyg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacit-ronin- View Post
Given how different and unlike JW theme his MOS theme is, I have zero doubts that he can start fresh and sound nothing like the TDK theme.

lukebrodyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #408
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Let me make this clear just b/c I'm not a fan of his TDKT and MOS scores doesn't mean I'm not a fan of Zimmer, in general. TDKT and MOS doesn't make up his whole resume. Everybody up here assumes I hate Zimmer when in all actuality I like quite a bit of his scores (Gladiator, Hannibal, The DaVinci Code, and both Sherlock Holmes' scores, to name a few) IMO he's written a lot better music than he has for TDKT and MOS. What I meant on the retirement comment was that if he had quit scoring for this genre (the superhero/cbm genre) when TDKT concluded. He wouldn't have to deal with scoring MOS, BvS, and possibly JL. It's like WB is relying too much on Snyder and Goyer to develop the DCU and Zimmer as the DCU composer. These films/scores could use more variety.
Sorry Elevator, I should've said Lately.....I know and I respect your opinion, hopefully he might come up with something that will stimulate you once again....

Old 05-03-2014, 02:37 AM   #409
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

My turn,

Personally, I loved what Zimmer did with Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and Man of Steel ( I found The Dark Knight Rises a bit OTT, even for Zimmer), but back to MOS, I think he hit all the right notes (pun, intended) in terms of the tone; from the dreamlike music on the frozen Kryptonian ship, to the heavy theme for Krypton and Zod, to the main title that starts of soft and builds to a mighty roar.

- on that note (yes, I'm full of puns today), I like the main title particularly as it's effective in both its soft and most powerful iteration.

My only complaint is that I would have liked more of the main title.

The video below is a remix made by a cool dude on youtube, it has an amazing transition from "look to the stars" to "flight" to the main title, and some other great transitions - if Zimmer's score was a little more like this, it would have been even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joQWMecJmDk

Anyway, Zimmer has done some great work over the years, and I'm really looking forward to his efforts on B v S.

Peace out super-fans !

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #410
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
My turn,

Personally, I loved what Zimmer did with Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and Man of Steel ( I found The Dark Knight Rises a bit OTT, even for Zimmer), but back to MOS, I think he hit all the right notes (pun, intended) in terms of the tone; from the dreamlike music on the frozen Kryptonian ship, to the heavy theme for Krypton and Zod, to the main title that starts of soft and builds to a mighty roar.

- on that note (yes, I'm full of puns today), I like the main title particularly as it's effective in both its soft and most powerful iteration.

My only complaint is that I would have liked more of the main title.

The video below is a remix made by a cool dude on youtube, it has an amazing transition from "look to the stars" to "flight" to the main title, and some other great transitions - if Zimmer's score was a little more like this, it would have been even better.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joQWMecJmDk[/

Anyway, Zimmer has done some great work over the years, and I'm really looking forward to his efforts on B v S.

Peace out super-fans !
It's blocked Bat....got another link?

Old 05-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #411
Side-Kick

A bit off-topic, but I love this snippet of the Flash (CW show) theme. It's so damn good I wish they had saved it for one of the DCCU movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf3XSBSdJ-A

Best CBMs
1. Batman Begins 2. Man of Steel 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 4. The Dark Knight 5. Avengers
113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #412
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
Sorry Elevator, I should've said Lately.....I know and I respect your opinion, hopefully he might come up with something that will stimulate you once again....
Well I gotta say after watching TAS-M2 I was quite impressed with what he and his team came up with for that. I found it based on what I heard in the film a lot more tolerable and enjoyable than his Batman and MOS scores. I guess Zimmer still has some things to say musically about superheroes , but then again I believe all the Spidey scores seem to bring about a lot of creativity and wit from it's composers, imho.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #413
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Well I gotta say after watching TAS-M2 I was quite impressed with what he and his team came up with for that. I found it based on what I heard in the film a lot more tolerable and enjoyable than his Batman and MOS scores. I guess Zimmer still has some things to say musically about superheroes , but then again I believe all the Spidey scores seem to bring about a lot of creativity and wit from it's composers, imho.
Glad to hear you enjoyed Zimmer's TASM2 score. What did you like about it, Elevator Man, and how do you compare it to previous Spider-Man film scores?

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 05-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #414
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Well I'm going off what I heard in the film, which is pretty difficult to do on a first viewing b/c I try not to pay too much attention to the music when watching a movie the first time, but I couldn't help noticing Zimmer's main theme for the webhead. I thought it was very catchy and quite fitting b/c in this particular adventure Spidey is looked at as the hero of NYC and a beacon of hope. I also noticed Electro's theme going through developments and variations as Dillon evolves into Electro. Once I buy and listen to the deluxe edition 2 CD I'll be able to give you my thoughts on the score and how it stacks up to the previous Spidey scores. I'm not as picky with the Spidey scores as I am with the Batman and Superman scores though.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #415
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
and how do you compare it to previous Spider-Man film scores?
For me, I enjoyed it but it doesn't reach that level Danny Elfman, Christopher Young, and James Horner did. Elfman's theme had this soaring and hopefulness to it, Young constructed his score around Elfman's themes, and Horner's inspired approach of blossoming discovery and embodying Peter's innocence.

Zimmer's theme seemed to be inspired from Horner's work, rather than Elfman. I was pleased with how un-Zimmer it sounds.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:20 AM   #416
Samuel Jackson
Bad MF

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Popped in MOS today while packing to see my Mom. He must come back. He just must. That score was as much a part of the film as much as dialog or SFX.
The score when he takes flight for the first time! Oh lawd.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #417
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes I agree, while I haven't bought the soundtrack, I did see Spidey yesterday and I thought the scores were great, especially at the emotional moments throughout the flim...think I'm gonna cop it pretty soon ...p.s glad you liked it Elevator

Old 05-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #418
DaJanksta
Henry Cavill's chest hair

The score for TASM2 was great. Those trumpets were epic. I kinda wish supes theme was like that. It just screams hero.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #419
Daywalker89
In Zion I await my spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJanksta View Post
The score for TASM2 was great. Those trumpets were epic. I kinda wish supes theme was like that. It just screams hero.
Spiderman' theme was great. Really uplifting as you said, the trumpets really took his theme to another level just like the drums in the MOS score. Now a combination of the two would be great for a superman theme . The trumpets by themselves would be abit too much especially if they were used in MOS tone. Wouldn't really fit.

" I have spent my whole life lookin' for that thing that killed my mother, and made me what I am. And every time I take one of those monsters out, I get a little piece of that life back. So don't you tell me about forgetting "
Daywalker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #420
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Superman theme - powerful, soaring
Spider-Man theme - energetic, fun

I think he should do a more brooding, mysterious theme for Batman this time.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #421
Fallen Angel
Earth Bound

I wonder if Wonder Women will get a theme and what kind of theme she'll get?.

Fallen Angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:51 AM   #422
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Default Am I the only one who doesn't want Hans Zimmer back?

Seriously. There are so many artists who could deliver a better score than what he's churned out recently. But for a few works of I don't care for his soundtracks much.

Howard Shore would be cool....hell I'd even be fine if John Ottman came back....

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:53 AM   #423
CountOrlok
Banned User

Default Re: Am I the only one who doesn't want Hans Zimmer back?

No, you're not the only one.

CountOrlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:57 AM   #424
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Zimmer gave us phenomenal work in MOS that was even better than his work in INCEPTION or TDKT to my ears. It was as much a part of the story and action as the SFX or actors performance. Truly I would feel cheated if he couln't come back.

KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #425
MrsKent26
Whatever.

I liked the Zimmer score. Flight and the song they used in the trailers were stand-outs.

\S/T*
MrsKent26 is offline   Reply With Quote