Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #26
Spider - Man
Banned User

Default Re: Favorite Amazing Spider-Man Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
Here are some of my favourites...

I HATED this issue! This issue marked the end of the Andru era. It wouldn't have been so bad if the next artist was any good but to go from Andru to Keith Pollard was a hard to take. It took a while for the artwork on this title to regain any traction for me.

Spider - Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #27
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Thumbs up Re: Favorite Amazing Spider-Man Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Love that cover, love the issue itself, and love the whole storyline.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
I HATED this issue! This issue marked the end of the Andru era. It wouldn't have been so bad if the next artist was any good but to go from Andru to Keith Pollard was a hard to take. It took a while for the artwork on this title to regain any traction for me.
Different strokes... I thought Pollard was a nice compliment after Andru... and his art really started to shine within a few issues...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #29
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

#700 with all the people do wrote Spidey engraved into the skyline.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #30
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Here are some I like, just off the top of my head.

I don't know if this is intended, but I like how the simplistic, hooray-for-heroes header 'Spidey Saves the Day' is such a jarring contrast to the gritty scene of an exhausted Spidey standing in the flames over a beaten Green Goblin.

I miss Blaze. What a capitalist. Wonder why no one brings him back.

Black costume is always great. Black costume + Statue of Liberty = awesome.

Notice how the Spidey blues are slightly different.

And of course...

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.

Last edited by JJJ's Ulcer; 08-30-2013 at 08:10 PM.
JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #31
spidey99
Side-Kick

Always a favorite of mine. I remember doing chores for my older brothers, and they'd pay me with their comics, this is one of the first I grabbed. Just an awesome image.

spidey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #32
Themanofbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‑Man View Post
Whatever you say. I personally think many on here are just blindly loyal to anything 'Spidey'. Like I think they could do a whole issue of him taking a dump and a lot of you guys would just praise it. But as you say, to each his own. Whatever floats your boat. Oh yeah...

What's your deal?

It was 1978 and I was 11 years old... I loved Andru's art through mostly Marvel Tales (he is MY favourite Spidey artist of all time), but I was really digging the Wolfman/Pollard stories... Christ, at that age, I was not really paying attention to artists names anyway... so I'm not sure what your "applauding Spidey taking a dump" comment is coming from...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Old 09-02-2013, 07:27 AM   #33
Themanofbat

I'm not trying to throw a dart at you... I'm just unsure why I got flak for liking an issue of ASM in 1978 when I was 11 years old... maybe if I read the book again with my old man cynical eyes, it wouldn't be as enjoyable as when I read it 35 years ago...

I really dug Wolfman/Pollard's run on the book, in fact, it's my favourite run on ASM of all time (excluding the Lee/Ditko/Romita)... but I KNOW it's because I originally read it as a very young reader and I clearly remember it with rose-coloured glasses...

Happy Labour Day...

Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #34
JJJ's Ulcer

How did posting covers turn into yet another pie-fight?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #35
Themanofbat

I have no idea... I liked a story, someone else didn't, funny things were said...

I'm too old...

Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #36
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

And it was even TMoB's favorite run of Spidey EVER!!!! Except... you know... for that other one.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #37
JJJ's Ulcer

Quote:
Ok have you enjoyed every marvel comic ever released with 'Spider-man' in the title? If not, which stories/issue didn't you like?

And happy Labor Day to you too...
(A) Why do you care if he does?

(B) Even if you do care, this isn't the thread for it. Post a cover or take your very silly argument to another thread.

"Your" is possessive, used to describe something you own; i.e "I borrowed your book."

"You're" is a contraction of "you" and "are." "You're looking tired today," would be an example of the correct usage.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #38
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider - Man View Post
HA! My EXACT thought on that cover! Again, no offense to TMOB, but I see that cover and I think of the beginning of an era I never cared for (again, no offense Bats, cause I know you like that era ), except maybe the intro of Black Cat. I REALLY missed Andru.

Sorry, I wasn't going to comment, but I thought it was funny someone else had the same reaction.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #39
Themanofbat

Quote:
Ok have you enjoyed every marvel comic ever released with 'Spider-man' in the title? If not, which stories/issue didn't you like?

And happy Labor Day to you too...
No.

I hardly enjoyed Web of Spider-Man... all 129 issues barring a few gems. Marvel Team-Up was THE superior book (pun intended).

After DeFalco/Frenz' run, ASM started to sucked pretty bad... most of Michelinie's work is sub-par... too much Venom... so ASM was rather boring during the 300's and 400's... so much so that I quit reading Spidey for 4 years around ASM #421... only picked it up again with JMS, and his run started to blow chunks after Romita Jr. left...

I barely enjoyed any of the sister books... they never really held a candle to ASM... except for MTU and early Spectacular.

Again... while these books were not to my standards, there are a few gems within here and there.

Hope this helps...

Old 09-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

This argument is stupid... and I know Spidey arguments.

TMoB for the win! (which could be the first time I've ever said that)

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #41
Spider‑Man
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
This argument is stupid... and I know Spidey arguments.

TMoB for the win! (which could be the first time I've ever said that)
If you knew arguments at all...you'd know this is not an argument. This has been a discussion about different opinions. BUt if it helps, you win TMoB. Whatever that means in this context.

And so I'm in compliance...

Also always loved this one...

Spider‑Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #42
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
But you bought and read them all?

My point is that continuing to pay for material that you feel stinks is like buying a steak, taking a bite and saying "this steak tastes like ****!" And then taking another bite. And another.

Continuing to buy books that you consider to be sub-standard is something I can only attribute to blind loyalty to a character or a company. That is all I was saying. IN that light, I was saying you (and I wasn't specifically even speaking to YOU) would have probably bought an issue with Spidey taking a dump, said it sucked...and then bought the next issue that came out.

Hope that sheds some light on my point.
You did see he said he actually quit the book for 4 years and then picked it up when it got better in his opinion, right?

Quote:
When JRJR came on board, the art was very good. It is hard to believe he's the same artist that later did the art for the same character in the 2000s. He was SOOOOOO much better in the 80s IMO. But anyway...
See, now I'm the opposite. JRJR's 80's stuff was good, but felt like an imitation of his father's work. I think when he came back to the title in the 2000's, he really developed his own style, and is now one of my favorites!

Old 09-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #43
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
See, now I'm the opposite. JRJR's 80's stuff was good, but felt like an imitation of his father's work. I think when he came back to the title in the 2000's, he really developed his own style, and is now one of my favorites!
JRJR is so hit or miss for me. His Spider-Man stuff is great, but then he draws other things that make me cringe. I think it's mostly when he draws people who get beat up and face swelling and all that. Then he starts making them look like clay figures and that bugs me.

His 00s run on Amazing Spider-Man was gorgeous though.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #44
Themanofbat

Admittedly, comics are cyclical, and as soon as you drop bad books, they tend to get good again...

And I know I'm a completist, to a fault, and I know that, and sometimes, I really hate that about myself... though I think I have a pretty good handle on it these days...

And to be fair, I was getting 50% off all the comics I bought from 1984 to 1997, so it was easier to get a LOT of books...

Also, I prefer JrJr's early work more so than his current work... you could tell that he had a Paul Smith influence on his early work.

I'm gonna post some of my ASM faves later tonight.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #45
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:

And here's a sentimental favorite. Sal was one of my all-time favorite Spidey artists!

See, now ironically, I view this issue similar to how you viewed the other issue. It interrupted the Andru era. I know Sal has his fans, but I never was one, particularly the sketchy angular stuff of the 90's.

Quote:
REally? I know art is subjective but I can't see how anyone could see his original work on Spidey or the stuff he did in Layton's Iron MAn and think that the stuff he has done more recently is better. Every character has what I call Jim Davis eyes, like all the Garfield characters, half closed. To me MJ has never been less attractive than when rendered by modern JRJR. And I hate the way he draws Spidey's lower legs - they're just so rail thin! To me his original stuff took senior's influence and then ran with it! BUt anyway, as I said, it's all subjective.
Again, subjective. I like to see style, whicj I like stuff like later JRJR, Ramos, and Wieringo (RIP ). His early stuff was good too, but felt more like an imitation of his father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanofbat View Post
Admittedly, comics are cyclical, and as soon as you drop bad books, they tend to get good again...

And I know I'm a completist, to a fault, and I know that, and sometimes, I really hate that about myself... though I think I have a pretty good handle on it these days...
Yes, it's a completist thing. I stopped reading in the early 80's and got back into it around 83. I then had to go back and find back issues. I know things (hopefully) get better, so that's why I never really stopped two other times when I was going to: the reveal that the Pete we read for 20 years was a clone (which was thankfully reversed) and the whole OMD mess (which unfortunately was never reversed, but at least Slott has improved the book).

Old 09-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #46
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
lol...the George Zimmerman of the hype! Keep reading and you'll see!

No this is a thread for posting AMAZING Spider-man covers. You've been posting Web of and Spectacular and whatnot so don't talk to me about what this is the thread for. My civil discussion with TMoB will continue and if you think it derails the thread, awesome job of adding to that as now you have made it 2 (yours and mine) and probably more (as you'll no doubt continue to add to the 'silly argument') posts with no covers at all, no AMAZING Spider-Man covers and with no mention of covers period. Or you can keep your nose out of a discussion that wasn't really meant for you and let it pay out more quickly without your needless commentary. Others have managed to comment on it without thinking they're the hype neighborhood patrol. Maybe you should learn something from them.
On behalf of the Hype Neighborhood Patrol (aka: your moderator staff), I can'
tell you that I don't see much "civil conversation" coming from you at all.

I recommend that you knock off the attitude immediately.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #47
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Give a person enough rope and they'll hang themselves. Hopefully when he comes back, he comes correct.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #48
Spider−Man
Banned User

*walk in...

sees rampant nepotism, evidence tampering and communist oppression

*walks back out...

Spider−Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #49
Themanofbat

Ok... I've already shown a few ASM covers... so here's a few more...

This one is near and dear to me as it's the first Spider-Man comic I ever bought with my own money at the corner store.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #50
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Ok, I don't know how that a user name like Spider-Man is available after all the years of the Hype's existence (with or without multiple hyphens) but this guy is clearly being a d-bag and I reported him. Hopefully the mods can wipe him away totally. Things are pretty civil around this part of the boards and I for one would like to keep it that way, so I reported his ass.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote