The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
speno94
Side-Kick

Default Guardians vs. Green Lantern

I know that I am bringing up bad memories and I am sure Marvel and Kevin Feige will make sure that GOTG won't turn into Green Lantern, but that has always been my concern.

I am really anticipating this film, but my ONLY concern was that I hope this doesn't turn into Marvel's Green Lantern both in quality and box office numbers.

Some people may say there are a COUPLE of similarities such as the Nova Corps vs. Green Lantern Corps and little things like Kilowog is the Green Lantern's military trainer and badass while Rocket Raccoon is the GOTG badass and weapon's expert etc.

What do you think Marvel have to do to not make this their Green Lantern and make GENERAL audiences think that this is not going to be Marvel's Green Lantern, even though I think Marvel are doing EXTREMELY well so far.

speno94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
marcvader
Lurker #1

Default Re: Guardians vs. Green Lantern

The look and feel of. GotG couldn't be more different than green lantern, thankfully.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
speno94
Side-Kick

Thinking about it longer I will Marvel will be fine because judging by the Comic Con footage that they so far shot in only TWO WEEKS!!!...

- It looks a lot more funnier than GL (not childish humour though)
- It looks a lot more edgier than GL
- Less CGI than GL and more practical effects
- Looks a lot less focused trying to be the next 'Iron Man' that GL was trying to be and sell toys with the 'weird' aliens
- It looks like a proper space opera/classic pulp science fiction in the vein of Star Wars, John Carter books etc which we haven't had in a while.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Chewy
REDACTED

How much of Green Lantern was spent in space? 5 minutes?

So no, people aren't going to see it as similar to Green Lantern, even at the most superficial level

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Well, for one thing....this is going to be completely different from Green Lantern. Green Lantern wanted to have it both ways and be a Earth-based superhero origin story on top of being a space epic...and too much of it was based on Earth and not space, which made it an inherently different movie. Put simply...it was much more of a generic superhero origin movie and executed poorly at that.

Guardians is straight up pulp sci-fi, and we really haven't had any summer blockbusters like that I can think of with the exception of Star Wars. And the sultry humor adds a whole other element to it that may make it easier for normal people to get into. Guardians is in a lot of ways unprecedented.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
Amputech
Newbie First Class

I am positive Guardians of the Galaxy will be great regardless of how much it makes, much better than GL for sure.

Amputech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
speno94
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
The look and feel of. GotG couldn't be more different than green lantern, thankfully.
I agree completely now that I have seem the footage that the look and feel is different and my GL concerns where mainly before any footage was released.

But I do need to see more footage such as Thanos and find out who is voicing Rocket Raccoon etc before I COMPLETELY get that GL concern out of my head.

Plus, they have only been shooting for two weeks and the look of the Comic Con trailer could not be final as the colours/cinematography could not be how they want them because they do the final colour grade at the end of Post Production. So this could just be temporary.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Actually you answered yourself pretty well in your second post lol. Pretty much hit on all the points I was thinking of.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
marcvader
Lurker #1

GotG is such a throwback. Sci-fi has gotten so sterile and humorless as of late. I love the swashbuckling, the humor, and the oddity of it all. It really takes me back to early 80's sci-fi without the cheesiness.

marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

all stuff aside, my beef with GL was that it looked like a cartoon. Cheap effects

Old 08-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
speno94
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post

So no, people aren't going to see it as similar to Green Lantern, even at the most superficial level
Forgot about that for a moment for some reason, don't know why haha, but yeah, they only spent about 10-15 minutes on Oa which was pretty poor actually.

I think Kevin Feige said that GOTG takes place 95-98% in space, correct me if I'm wrong?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Oh c'mon now. You have to ground these things. Set it on Earth so everyone can relate or something.

zeroapoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by speno94 View Post
I think Kevin Feige said that GOTG takes place 95-98% in space, correct me if I'm wrong?
Yeah 95%. And it's pretty clear that the 5% is just Star-Lord's childhood.

Can we just stop and appreciate the fact that this movie will have an...effing SPACE PRISON BREAK. Those prison scenes in the trailer look crazy.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
Loki882
Side-Kick

GL had potential, but it wasted it. They spent way too much time on Earth and it simply wasn't epic enough. GOTG doesn't seem to have that problem.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

from the beginning it was said that gotg was going to be like 90% in space. that is the most important for me, especially if you are doing a cosmic film.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Take a look at that first trailer of GL's, which pretty much summed up the ton of the movie and should've been a big honking sign that fans were in for a stinker. Then take a look at that 30 second cam rip Comic Con footage of GotG's and you can see a stark difference, almost night and day.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:37 AM   #17
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Chris Pratt >>>>>>>>>> Ryan Reynolds

Old 08-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
Silvermoth
Avenger

I'm getting bored of this comparison. There were space films before green lantern you know.

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Green Lantern could have been amazing, really. If they had focused on the FX of OA, Parallax, and the ring constructs, and gave the audience more of the space stuff... Also, casting leads with charisma and charm would've gone a long way.

Tonally, GL was way off what it should've been, what it was marketed as - a space opera. Everything about it felt too cartoon-like though, and unfocused.

GOTG, from the footage, seems like it's nailed the tone and setting. I do want to see more of the characters, but the biggest risks; Rocket, Chris Pratt as Star Lord, and Bautista as Drax, are pretty front and center of the footage and for the majority, they're really working for people. Even though it's been shooting for four weeks (five now I guess), the footage released is top notch already; they've avoided the cartoon-like feel of GL thus far.

Also, for the riskiest character, Rocket Raccoon, Gunn and Co. have at least successfully translated his look to the movie. He basically ran away with the footage. They've embraced the insanity and are inviting people along for the ride.

I do think it's apt to compare GL with GOTG, as these are both basically space-oriented comic book properties from the big two companies. Really hoping that GOTG breaks out with the general audience, b/c this looks totally, beautifully crazypants.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #20
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by speno94 View Post
I know that I am bringing up bad memories and I am sure Marvel and Kevin Feige will make sure that GOTG won't turn into Green Lantern, but that has always been my concern.

I am really anticipating this film, but my ONLY concern was that I hope this doesn't turn into Marvel's Green Lantern both in quality and box office numbers.

Some people may say there are a COUPLE of similarities such as the Nova Corps vs. Green Lantern Corps and little things like Kilowog is the Green Lantern's military trainer and badass while Rocket Raccoon is the GOTG badass and weapon's expert etc.

What do you think Marvel have to do to not make this their Green Lantern and make GENERAL audiences think that this is not going to be Marvel's Green Lantern, even though I think Marvel are doing EXTREMELY well so far.
What the .....

There is absolutely nothing remotely similar between Kilowog and Rocket.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #21
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I'm getting bored of this comparison. There were space films before green lantern you know.
I agree like Star Trek and Star Wars.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
WormyT
Side-Kick

GOTG will probably be the number1 Box office earned for 2014.(if that's when it comes out).
It's a high concept ensemble movie with a very interesting cast of characters. As long as the movie is solid, easy to follow and not complicated like tron legacy and chronicles of riddick the humor and characters could make this another huge cash cow for Disney.
As a DC guy It almost breaks my heart how well marvel is marketing and planning these movies. Seeing the nova Corps in those spy photos is like imagining an Adam Strange or New Gods movie with Green Lantern cameos. DC is so far behind. Marvel is approaching their concepts unapologetically straight and it works so well. The audience trusts these marvel movies to be entertaining and not pretentious and serious. Green Lantern left a "eww" taste in everyone's mouth. Why did they even make that
movie? It's bizarre to me.
I'm also way more excited for GOTG than even Avengers2.(until I see A2 footage. :-p )

Old 08-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #23
WormyT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Take a look at that first trailer of GL's, which pretty much summed up the ton of the movie and should've been a big honking sign that fans were in for a stinker. Then take a look at that 30 second cam rip Comic Con footage of GotG's and you can see a stark difference, almost night and day.
I think its fair to compare the GL wondercon footage to GOTG as that footage was space/Abin Sur focused, and went over very well with crowds at the time(I was there). They even released that clip online soon after because of the buzz.
But your right about the first official GL trailer. It was an awful ironman ripoff edit.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #24
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

The Green Lantern was a paint by numbers, assembly line superhero film.

GotG, on the other hand, is taking lots of risks and looking at Marvel Studios track record I'm willing to bet those risks pay off nicely.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #25
storyteller
Side-Kick

Apples and oranges here. This is not a Nova Corps movie. The Guardians are nothing like the Green Lanterns. If anything you should compare it to Star Trek or the A-team..................actually it's exactly like the A-team but in space.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote