The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #26
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Seeing as the entire crux of that statement was that he's basically never had a hit, when in actuality he's had 3, yes, you stand corrected with all of my paragraph.

It's not an ad hominem, I'm describing what your post and entire stance on this issue was and is, silly. As everyone else can attest to as well.
It's ad hominem. Look it up sometime if you don't understand what it means. But I'm sure you do, since you use it all the time.

Quote:
The general audience has no preconceived notion of who Ant-Man, Scott Lang, or Hank Pym are. If you actually believe this character has any presence in popculture then you're living in some type of bubble. Edgar Wright has the opportunity to deliver a new take on a superhero film without preconceived notions of the character. Your entire argument pretty much hinges on the idea that Ant-Man is a laughing stock to the general public, an idea that is factually flawed.
Yep, you're absolutely right --- everyone out there in La-La Land thinks that a superhero whose powers let him shrink and chat with ants is just the coolest thing ever.

Quote:
If you actually read what you're writing then you'll see just how ridiculous you sound. GotG can be a hit despite being even more silly, antihero-y, and unknown than Ant-Man but Ant-Man can't "just cuz Edgar Wright". Right dude.
GOTG features starship battles, fearsome aliens, sexy femme fatales, space pirates, evil galactic empires, Treebeard and a talking raccoon armed with heavy artillery. Ant-Man features a superhero whose powers let him shrink and chat with ants. You know, the coolest thing ever.

Quote:
You clearly don't understand how they fit into the MCU though. This is not the comics, it won't be the same as what you read. Hank Pym's role in the Avengers is already taken by the expanded role of Bruce Banner/Hulk in the MCU, and even Tony himself to a large extent who is more proactive and actually mechanical than his early depictions. Hank is supposed to be a visionary and scientist who wants to bring good with his technology but has inner demons to fight; that role is completely filled by Stark and Banner. Pym would be a completely redundant character in the MCU.
Quote:
(Me, several posts ago: )
The only Marvel movie I'm concerned about underperforming is Ant-Man. Joss Whedon and Edgar Wright have completely pulled the rug out from under the mythos on Hank and Janet and isolated a core Avenger into an iffy solo movie that has now become completely redundant. I don't see any reason to waste money on making that movie now.
Thank you for proving my point. Glad we finally agree on something.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #27
Chewy
REDACTED

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 6

Yes, in terms of personality and function he's a completely redundant character. The only thing of interest about him is the fallout from his creation of Ultron, and since they've decided to circumvent that for the films, I'm not sure what the point of giving Pym a big presence is. And I doubt he will have much of a presence outside of the Ant-Man film, which seems like it'll be more Lang's movie anyway.

That said, let's get back to Guardians... there are plenty of other threads where people are talking about Pym

Old 08-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #28
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 6

Honestly, I really thought I was in the Ant-Man forum...

As to Ant-Man, I read Robert Workman's (?) Irredeemable Ant-Man series. Wonderful! Hit a similar tone as I expect Wright's movie version will take. I think that a caustic, snarky-but-with-heart film version of Ant-Man will do quite all right. And with Disney backing it (and Wright directing it), I expect it to be a modest hit for Marvel; hopefully enough to generate a sequel.

I just saw the latest batch of GOTG photos with Rooker in Yondu blue and the mohawk. He looks so freaking awesome.

For as much flack as people give Marvel that's a pretty freaking great group of filmmakers. Kind of feel spoiled."

--Chewy
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #29
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post

Honestly, I really thought I was in the Ant-Man forum...

As to Ant-Man, I read Robert Workman's (?) Irredeemable Ant-Man series. Wonderful! Hit a similar tone as I expect Wright's movie version will take. I think that a caustic, snarky-but-with-heart film version of Ant-Man will do quite all right. And with Disney backing it (and Wright directing it), I expect it to be a modest hit for Marvel; hopefully enough to generate a sequel.

I just saw the latest batch of GOTG photos with Rooker in Yondu blue and the mohawk. He looks so freaking awesome.
Yes....yes, he does. He'll look even better with that CGI'ed-in shark fin.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #30
ctsketch
Side-Kick

I doubt he'll have a CGI fin

Old 08-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #31
misjuevos
I am Groot

I think they will give him the fin. It helps to differentiate from the kree they already shown, if in fact they are kree.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #32
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Jesus Christ. Leave Sam alone. Ever since he's been voicing opinions that last few months that most people disagree with, people seem to be just trying to make him look dumb. So I can see how he can percieve this as Ad hominem. Opinions are opinions.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #33
Crimson King
Throwing shade

Yeah, Jesus. Lay off Sam!

Recent guest appearances on The Hodgepodge Podcast to discuss 75 years of Batman and CA:TWS
Old 08-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #34
eddy
Side-Kick

Sidf.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #35
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Default Re: Guardians of the Galaxy: General Discussion & Speculation Thread - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Not even remotely accurate. They've dropped the Ant-Man name on sites like these or at comic-con. That is not representative of the Gen Aud whatsoever.

Calling Ant-Man part of pop culture is probably the most imagined thing I've ever seen you say on here. Iron Man is pop culture. That degenerate Miley Cyrus is pop culture. Ant-Man is not.
You leave Miley out of this!!!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 08-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #36
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Edgar Wright has said he isn't sticking strictly to the comics interpretations of Ant-Man and describes it as a large action set piece spy heist film so who the hell knows how they will be portrayed on film in regards to Pym being similar to Bruce Banner.

Edgar talks about enjoying the 60's cold war superhero adventures of Pym and had special effects houses running around London buying up old Tales To Astonish Ant-Man comics as well as being a fan of the to steal an Ant-man story of Lang. I would imagine the take on the characters if anything is drawn more from those books than their Avengers appearances and most comic fans probably have not even read those stories.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #37
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Yeah!! Especially now that Ms. Cyrus is in talks to play Skreet.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #38
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Yeah!! Especially now that Ms. Cyrus is in talks to play Skreet.

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Old 08-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #39
Rock Sexton
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Jesus Christ. Leave Sam alone. Ever since he's been voicing opinions that last few months that most people disagree with, people seem to be just trying to make him look dumb. So I can see how he can percieve this as Ad hominem. Opinions are opinions.
I think it's the manner in which he's been running around the various Phase 2 threads with his tone of "Pfffffffft I already have the plot figured out." It's almost obsession-like.

In the past I've enjoyed his ideas, but lately not so much because of how he's presenting himself.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #40
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrin Parker View Post
She's a natural, no? To make the character more realistic, they can use cgi to reduce the size of her mouth and tongue.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 08-27-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #41
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I think it's the manner in which he's been running around the various Phase 2 threads with his tone of "Pfffffffft I already have the plot figured out." It's almost obsession-like.

In the past I've enjoyed his ideas, but lately not so much because of how he's presenting himself.

How am I "presenting myself" any differently than I have anytime in the past, and any differently than anyone else who is speculating about movies in speculation threads?

Yes, I enjoy speculating about plots and characters. Sometimes I get it right (Mandarin Twist, like it or not), sometimes I get it wrong. But it's just opinion and speculation, and I see no reason why *my* opinion and speculation deserves the pile-on ridicule that no one else seems to get. Am I being held to a different standard here? Somebody give me the rulebook, please.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #42
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

Bang bang bang, skreet skreet skreet.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #43
misjuevos
I am Groot

So...yup. this thread is going Knowhere (pun intended)fast.

Old 08-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #44
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:

I feel the same way, somethings changed in the way he speculates since IM3, idk what, but the way the read is different, almost now arrogant idk haha. Sorry to add to the piling ob yesterday tho Sam, my bad.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 08-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #45
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Whoa thats not where i was going. oopsies.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #46
Dr. Evil
Bishop

So what's up with Deisel as Groot and Cooper as Rocket?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #47
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
So what's up with Deisel as Groot and Cooper as Rocket?
Wait a minute... You want to discuss Guardians of the Galaxy in the Guardians of the Galaxy thread!? I'm afraid that kind of behavior isn't allowed around these parts.

Hank Pym should be in Age of Ultron.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #48
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Well... This is interesting.

Quote:
Vin Diesel Reveals Details of His Marvel Meetings for 'Guardians of the Galaxy' (Video)

Vin Diesel, who will star in the upcoming Riddick, set the Internet on fire when he began dropping hints about meetings with Marvel and then, weeks later, cryptically posted an image of Groot, the extraterrestrial plant monster who will appear in Guardians of the Galaxy.

At a promotional event for Riddick, Diesel finally went into more detail about how he ended up negotiating a deal for voice and motion capture work as the comic book character -- and why he had originally met with Marvel.

"What can I say about Groot? I can say something about Marvel," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "I take my hat off to them for being so creative and thinking outside of the box."

Diesel says that he had originally met with Marvel to launch a fresh IP (intellectual property). "It would come out in 2016 or 2017 and potentially launch the third phase," he tells THR.

But then he went to Comic-Con to promote Riddick. At the annual convention in San Diego in July, he realized that fans didn't want to wait that long to see Diesel as part of the Marvel universe.

"With my schedule, it was almost impossible to imagine I could do anything immediate," says Diesel who will star in the upcoming seventh installment of the Fast & Furious franchise and has several other films in various stages of production.

"I guess after they watched Iron Giant, or whatever, they came up with this idea of taking the strangest Marvel character -- or the strangest Marvel character that's ever hit film -- and thought what I could do with that with motion capture and with my voice," he said.

Groot is an alien living tree that appeared various Marvel comics. A teaser shown at Comic-Con and Disney's D23 Expo showed that Groot will appear in James Gunn's upcoming pic. In the short teaser, Groot did not speak.

Adds Diesel: "Now it's just up to my reps to allow that to happen."
Source: THR

So, Feige WAS telling the truth originally and Viesel was initially up for another role in a Phase III film. I'm calling it - Black Bolt.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #49
Crimson King
Throwing shade

Oh man. I would lose my turds if Phase 3 led off with an Inhumans movie, followed by Strange, Panther, and Ms. Marvel.

/dream

Recent guest appearances on The Hodgepodge Podcast to discuss 75 years of Batman and CA:TWS
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #50
Mr. Dent

I definitely feel like they were tapping him for Black Bolt as well or Kornak or Triton. Sounds like this Groot job is just so they can do something with him immediately, and he will still be in one of their phase 3 films.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Closed Thread