The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 02-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #226
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Who dies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Also, the more expensive your show, the higher ratings you need for it to stay on the air. Any Hulk show would be so expensive to make, maintaining the audience for it would prove I feel far too difficult. AoS level audience simply isn't enough for a much more expensive Hulk show.

Exactly! And if they killed Evans, I'd be mad too as a Cap fan! I don't see them doing this to any of the big 4, especially given the Thor 3/Cap 3 announcements, RDJ's new announcement about being open to IM4, and I think they want to keep building Hulk's audience so he becomes more viable.
Agreed. And again, this is why all the Big 4, even the ones I thought most likely to make a WOK be-right-back death are on the safest half of the list.

Back to the PotC 4 comparison, sometimes really popular characters work best as supporting characters. What good is a scene-stealer if there's no one to steal scenes from? Jack needs Will, Hulk needs Tony/The Avengers. If they ever do a great Hulk film, I think they'll have someone for Hulk to steal the show from.

EDIT: And to keep it on topic, maybe they die?

Last edited by DrCosmic; 02-17-2014 at 05:25 PM.
DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 PM   #227
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Iron Man fans wouldn't rejoice. They'd complain. Much like Cap fans, Thor fans, etc. would complain if they decided to kill Evans or Hemms in AoU. I don't see them doing that, hence why I don't see a major Avenger dying.

I responded to this in the GotG forum. If Hulk 2 doesn't happen and he isn't a side character in another movie, I don't see him in Phase 3 outside Avengers 3. Hulk is too expensive for TV. You can't do a body double for him today, and Hulk at least has to look about as good as he did in Avengers. On a TV budget, that simply won't happen. Ruffallo will command a hefty salary for TV (given he is the headliner in films now), and Ruffallo actually might be taking an overall cut in pay to do TV (once again, since he plays the lead in some films). Plus, Hulk faces many monsters and such. The CGI that would have to be used is too advanced for TV. Thus, I simply don't see Hulk happening on TV. It is not cost effective. Look at who is getting a TV show/Netflix show. Most are characters that don't have high end powers, or are secret agents that face villains with minimal powers. No one as hard to to visually as Hulk is getting a TV show. There is a reason for that.
Feige said in a recent interview that the upcoming Peggy Carter show on ABC would have a large budget (being a period piece and all, and probably featuring at least the occasional superpower), so Marvel aren't scared to throw big money at a TV show. Plus, GDT's Hulk show was moving forward pretty quickly before it stalled; I'm sure Marvel had already factored in the notion that it was going to be expensive.

I seriously doubt that a Hulk TV show would break the bank. The 70s-80s show was wildly successful, and Joss has openly talked about his fondness for that series, even going so far as to cast Ruffalo specifically for playing Bill Bixby to a hilt. Similarly, a Marvel Studios Hulk show would likely follow that same format, which was roughly two-thirds Bruce Banner, and one-third Hulk each week. I doubt it would turn into a wall-to-wall CG battle like TIH or The Avengers movies.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #228
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Feige said in a recent interview that the upcoming Peggy Carter show on ABC would have a large budget (being a period piece and all, and probably featuring at least the occasional superpower), so Marvel aren't scared to throw big money at a TV show. Plus, GDT's Hulk show was moving forward pretty quickly before it stalled; I'm sure Marvel had already factored in the notion that it was going to be expensive.

I seriously doubt that a Hulk TV show would break the bank. The 70s-80s show was wildly successful, and Joss has openly talked about his fondness for that series, even going so far as to cast Ruffalo specifically for playing Bill Bixby to a hilt. Similarly, a Marvel Studios Hulk show would likely follow that same format, which was roughly two-thirds Bruce Banner, and one-third Hulk each week. I doubt it would turn into a wall-to-wall CG battle like TIH or The Avengers movies.
Obviously it wouldn't, but GDT's Hulk show seemed to be its own entity. Meaning, he could make Hulk look however he wanted. He wasn't a slave to a particular look. That is no longer the case. MCU now has a particular look that has to be at least mostly replicated, and it is done using technology not commonly used on TV shows (Avatar style Mo-Cap). Even if we only had a couple minutes of Hulk per episode, you have to factor in the price of the cast. Peggy Carter is once again a spy character. She isn't expensive to do. Haley Atwell also won't command the type of money Ruffallo will. I think this show would cost too much money and be less profitable than just investing the extra money into a film would be. At the end of the day, it is all about the money. Yes, TIH didn't impress, but I think Hulk could at least sniff Thor: TDW numbers now. There is also far more merchandise and such related to a movie, as well. Even at it's most successful, a Hulk show won't do that type of business.

I just don't see the show being cost effective or lasting longer than 1 season (given the amount invested vs audience of show).

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #229
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

maybe they are referring to the J.A.R.V.I.S. AI if I understand correctly movie ultron is a corrupted version of it/him

besides isn't the black panther part of the FF package at FOX ?

Last edited by 3dman27; 03-14-2014 at 08:25 AM.
3dman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #230
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dman27 View Post
maybe they are referring to the J.A.R.V.I.S. AI if I understand correctly movie ultron is a corrupted version of it/him

besides isn't the black panther part of the FF package at FOX ?
Nope. Kevin Feige said last year it was in development.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #231
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

Maybe I'm crazy, but I can totally see Iron Man dieing. Give him the death Han Solo never got. Obviously Cap and Thor are gonna live and and who the hell wants to see the Hulk die? Now just because Iron Man would die doesn't mean we would never see RDJ's Stark again. Whedon strikes me as the guy who would jump all over some kind of magical revival.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #232
Six
Six Six Six

I think if anyone should die, its Pepper Potts. Have Tony become a drunken mess and have his redemption and death in Avengers 3.

Six is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #233
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Nope. Kevin Feige said last year it was in development.
Marvel have the rights to Blackbolt and the Inhumans also right?

If only they could get the Galactus and Silver Surfer rights.

HERESY!
Wise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #234
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Personally I think Captain America/Steve Rogers is going to die because.

A) His sequel being announced would make it a huge shock.

B) They've established Winter Soldier who can take his place.

C) Ending Avengers 2 with Captain America's death would make Cap 3 a must watch resolution to the cliffhanger. Which would increase it's chances against Batman v. Superman.

D) It's a pretty famous event in recent comics.

HERESY!
Old 03-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #235
Six
Six Six Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wise View Post
Marvel have the rights to Blackbolt and the Inhumans also right?

If only they could get the Galactus and Silver Surfer rights.
Give it a few weeks

Old 03-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #236
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six View Post
Give it a few weeks
What does that mean?

HERESY!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #237
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Avengers are having a coffee after defeating Ultron; Cap says : " I miss Coulson"

Coulson pops out of the dark like he did in the AOS pilot

They all cheer, cry and hug him

Ultron reappears and kills him

Just_Human is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #238
Six
Six Six Six

Quote:
What does that mean?
It means Fox probably won't carry through with it.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #239
Wise
Watchtower Janitor

Quote:
It means Fox probably won't carry through with it.
If Marvel got the rights back to Surfer, Doom and the Four that would make Phase 3 and 4 insane.

HERESY!
Old 03-20-2014, 07:12 PM   #240
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think if anyone should die, its Pepper Potts. Have Tony become a drunken mess and have his redemption and death in Avengers 3.
I cut you and bleed. We do *not* need random fridging, especially of one of the best supporting characters in the whole damn franchise. Doubly so for feeding into the toxic "must be a man****" meme.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #241
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Why does anyone have to die? I mean really, is there a REASON someone HAS to die to make the film a good or great film?

....to every King.
THOR MAY 6TH 2011

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #242
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah no thanks to the whole "let's fridge the heroes GF, who is also one of the best-developed characters in the MCU to boot, just to make him feel bad." That is the most annoying, sexist, and tired of all the comic book clichés, keep it out of the MCU. It'd simply be a waste of a good character.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #243
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Agreed on killing Pepper. That's a bit too easy an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Why does anyone have to die? I mean really, is there a REASON someone HAS to die to make the film a good or great film?
HAS is a strong word. But it's hard as heck to up the stakes to the 'dark second chapter' where 'everything falls apart' when the first film has a heart-wrenching death and the second one doesn't.

Now if AoU isn't supposed to be a dark second chapter, that isn't about the Avengers being taken apart and through the paces, that isn't more grown up or grittier, and it's more of a generic entry that's not making an ark towards Avengers 3, then that's not a concern.

But if this is 'act II' in a trilogy, then what else can they do to take us to a darker place than seeing good 'ol Coulson stabbed through the heart. What can Whedon do that would make the audience as a whole say 'no, they didn't just do that did they?' and take them through the actual stages of grief?

Killing Hawkeye in a dramatic and unexpected fashion would do this. No matter how badly Captain America or Iron Man gets beat up, no matter how cross the words Thor feels, no matter how far you banish Hulk, nothing trumps a well done death except a better-done death. The only thing that could come close is a permanent death of the team, as in they are forever separated. You've basically killed the franchise, even though you're going to bring it right back, so I don't know if that would actually fly.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #244
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Personally I think Captain America/Steve Rogers is going to die because.

A) His sequel being announced would make it a huge shock.

B) They've established Winter Soldier who can take his place.

C) Ending Avengers 2 with Captain America's death would make Cap 3 a must watch resolution to the cliffhanger. Which would increase it's chances against Batman v. Superman.

D) It's a pretty famous event in recent comics.
They won't kill Cap before doing some sort of registration story line. They can't have mutants obviously but there's a reason why all these supers are popping up in Avengers 2. Avengers 3 would be the perfect back drop to do registration story line with the influx of supers. You need Cap for that.

I would guess they kill Black Widow or Hawkeye. Black Widow movie could be a ruse by your logic. They won't kill any of the top 4 (Hulk, Iron Man, Cap, Thor). That won't happen until Avengers 3.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:25 AM   #245
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I am with Vartha. I say no one.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #246
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I agree with Vartha, as well.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:32 AM   #247
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
HAS is a strong word. But it's hard as heck to up the stakes to the 'dark second chapter' where 'everything falls apart' when the first film has a heart-wrenching death and the second one doesn't.
Funny you say this, because when I think "dark second chapter" I think Empire, in which none of the characters die. Versus Star Wars where Obi-Wan dies

Of course, Han is tortured and left in a very precarious situation, but that's not quite the same as killing one of the main characters

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:11 AM   #248
hoy-small-fry
No strings on me...

Yeah, I don't think anyone has to die, but scatter the Avengers? Sure

With a cosmic element to Guardians, there's no reason Hulk or Thor couldn't end up getting slung through some portal and end up on the other side of the galaxy

hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 04:14 AM   #249
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:

Old 03-21-2014, 04:17 AM   #250
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I agree I don't think anyone has to die in this movie. But when they fight Thanos, someone has to die.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote