The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 05-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #351
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Default Re: Who dies?

When did Joss said death was a main theme of them? He said it was darker but I haven't read anything about death let alone major character death. Stakes can be major without main characters dying. The stakes for heroes should be about saving the world - not just saving it because someone they know died so now it's important. That doesn't sound very heroic. That's why I always thought the Coulson bit in The Avengers was completely unnecessary.

Comparisons have been made to it being darker like Empire Strikes Back. No one dies in ETS - not even the robots. Solo get frozen but he isn't any more dead at the end than Steve is at the end of Captain America.

Besides if as rumored they're all to a certain degree responsible for Ultron being created the stakes are already personal as is the guilt.

TalismanRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #352
TheVision
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

The Avengers are already kind of a shaky organization. So making their problems personal is what creates the drama and causes conflict. Otherwise everyones bumping fists and being happy together. Joss has said several times hes going to be using a scalpel on them, twisting the knife to see what makes them heroes. This one wont be as easy as them getting along to take on Loki, the problems will probably be coming from every direction.

The Death quote could be a reference to Thanos' love of Lady Death. Or real death in the movie, or both, who knows.

Last edited by TheVision; 05-27-2014 at 12:55 PM.
TheVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #353
MauriSSio
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
I really dont want people to die, esp our heroes. Those guys are just getting started. I still expect deaths because Joss said thats a main theme of the film.

I have a feeling Ultron is going to take out somebody major in the film. He almost has to or the stakes wont be high enough.
I agree. They already saved the planet once and came out intact and unscathed. That can't happen again. If Ultron really is a formidable foe he will take out at least one of them, otherwise it's just the same routine.

MauriSSio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #354
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

I don't see how it's the same routine. James Bond has lived through 20 plus films even with a couple of faked deaths tossed in. It took them until Bond 24 to kill off an M.

X-Men just did a film
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
where they retconned all the deaths from previous films and their own and everyone ends up happy and alive and
yet people think it has big emotional stakes.

The emotional stakes are their GUILT for being participants in creating a death machine. If they can only feel heightened emotions when one of their own dies as opposed to the general population then they're not only not heroes they're sociopaths. Needing the death of a main character to ratchet up the stakes just denotes a lack of creativity and a reliance on easy emotional manipulation.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:00 PM   #355
TheVision

I expect people to die around the Avengers and its possible Joss could kill one of em off but Im not going to be upset or feel betrayed if he doesnt. Theres ways to cause real pain for these characters without one of them dying. Guilt, hurting innocent people, tapping into their flaws as people/heroes i.e. psychological torture. Killing one of em off and getting revenge would be another Phil Coulson type deal. Joss did that "Lets do it for Phil!" setup already in A1.

Last edited by TheVision; 05-27-2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #356
MauriSSio
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalismanRing View Post
I don't see how it's the same routine. James Bond has lived through 20 plus films even with a couple of faked deaths tossed in. It took them until Bond 24 to kill off an M.

X-Men just did a film
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
where they retconned all the deaths from previous films and their own and everyone ends up happy and alive and
yet people think it has big emotional stakes.

The emotional stakes are their GUILT for being participants in creating a death machine. If they can only feel heightened emotions when one of their own dies as opposed to the general population then they're not only not heroes they're sociopaths. Needing the death of a main character to ratchet up the stakes just denotes a lack of creativity and a reliance on easy emotional manipulation.
The death of one of the avengers isn't just needed to motivate the avengers, but to really show the power of Ultron.

Otherwise he'll just be one of the typical James Bond type villains that just get steamrolled without doing any heavy damage to major characters. Whedon should show us Ultron is not the typical villain.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 PM   #357
MauriSSio
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVision View Post
I expect people to die around the Avengers and its possible Joss could kill one of em off but Im not going to be upset or feel betrayed if he doesnt. Theres ways to cause real pain for these characters without one of them dying. Guilt, hurting innocent people, tapping into their flaws as people/heroes i.e. psychological torture. Killing one of em off and getting revenge would be another Phil Coulson type deal. Joss did that "Lets do it for Phil!" setup already in A1.
Killing random innocent people and not a real avenger would make aou just like A1.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #358
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

How big a main character? One of the big three or big four? Natasha or Hawkeye? One of the new twins? A sidekick? A girlfriend? There are problems with any of those choices - either by killing off the golden goose, throwing away untapped potential or slashing at well needed diversity.

Where does it end? Do they have to kill three main Avengers to show Thanos is a greater threat and villain than Ultron? Or they could do like the comic and kill them all and then bring them all back. Which pretty much defeats the purpose except shock value.

Continuously raising the stakes by knocking off main characters in the end just devolves into a slasher flick. If a writer or director can't come up with a better basis for drama or emotion then they're probably a hack. This is a continuing series who's decades old characters are it's greatest assets. Why throw those assets away?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #359
MauriSSio
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalismanRing View Post
How big a main character? One of the big three or big four? Natasha or Hawkeye? One of the new twins? A sidekick? A girlfriend? There are problems with any of those choices - either by killing off the golden goose, throwing away untapped potential or slashing at well needed diversity.

Where does it end? Do they have to kill three main Avengers to show Thanos is a greater threat and villain than Ultron? Or they could do like the comic and kill them all and then bring them all back. Which pretty much defeats the purpose except shock value.

Continuously raising the stakes by knocking off main characters in the end just devolves into a slasher flick. If a writer or director can't come up with a better basis for drama or emotion then they're probably a hack. This is a continuing series who's decades old characters are it's greatest assets. Why throw those assets away?
You're not paying attention or reading the posts. It's not just about drama and emotion. Whedon has to prove Ultron is not the typical villain that kills random people but never a hero. Actually most slasher flicks have the killer kill everybody butthe heroes. Whedon has half a dozen to choose from. Maybe more. Will he create the typical film? Or will he have Ultron kill a hero?

Last edited by MauriSSio; 05-27-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:00 PM   #360
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

I am paying attention. I am disagreeing.

Slasher flicks kill off a bunch of D list actors and actress who play non entities until one C list actor/actress is left who might continue on to the next film if they're lucky enough to make enough $ for a sequel. No one would even much care if they killed off the "hero" except maybe the actor and his or her agent.

The main four MCU heroes are valuable assets and property. They sell individual movies, they sell comics, they sell T-Shirts, mugs, dolls and DVDs. And combined together they and their importance make up the popularity of The Avengers. No way would Disney or Marvel OK Whedon killing off one of the main assets they paid billions for.

And if they did it would be a temporary death that we've already seen before so what would be the point?

We already know Cap and Thor are getting sequels and RDJ is the MCUs main asset who they'd love to make another Iron Man and is signed already for Avengers 3. So that leaves the Hulk who they finally got right with the Ruffulo casting.

So we're back to killing off Hawkeye, Natasha, Wanda or Pietro. Aside from the fact they're not killing off one of their women when the Avengers is so male heavy - Whedon is not killing off his and fan favorite Black Widow especially not when Feige is considering giving her her own movie. I doubt he introduced SW and QS just to kill them off and they're strangers so even if they did die then what exactly is the big ramification? Maybe Hawkeye - he was underused - finally gets a sizable role and then is killed off. I guess it would give Scarlett some scenery to chew but Ulton taking down a very talented archer is not exactly proving how all powerful and hard to kill he is.

So then we're down to killing a supporting player - Rhodey, Fury, Maria Hill, Pepper, Jane. Fury already "died" in WS. As far as we know Pepper and Jane are not in the movie - but they to are easy to kill vulnerable humans. Neither is Falcon who is already said to be in CA3 anyway. So that leaves Rhodey and Hill. Hill would be Coulson re-do but less impactful. And now we're down to Rhodey. The one minority super-hero in the movie - albeit as a sidekick. Oh yeah, that wouldn't be a cliche at all.

But say it's done. Poor Rhodey is dead. And in the next film they'll have to up the death rate because Thanos so kicks Ultron's ass as a villain.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:07 AM   #361
HUMANIMAL

i think hawkeye has to go...maybe the vision also dies while taking ultron out(like in the matrix if you will)

MY FANART AND MANIPS
HUMANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:15 AM   #362
TheVision

I really dont think theyll introduce a new character then kill them off in the same film.

ULTRON may or may not want to kill the heroes straight up. He may want to psychologically mess with them by killing other people and forcing The Avengers to fight each other. I dont think itll be so black n white like it is in the comics. Joss' Ultron will be more like a James Spader character like Red Reddington ie complex, eccentric

Last edited by TheVision; 05-28-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #363
MauriSSio
Banned User

Hawkeye sucks. He should go.

Vision can die and be rebuilt.

Quicksilver character is lame, maybe they'll kill him.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #364
TheVision

MauriSSo: Take a time out or something. Jeez louise.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #365
Broseph44
Dats what I'm saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauriSSio View Post
Hawkeye sucks. He should go.

Vision can die and be rebuilt.

Quicksilver character is lame, maybe they'll kill him.
What well thought out reasons for why these characters should die, you sound like a little kid.

Dats it!

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #366
MauriSSio
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph44 View Post
What well thought out reasons for why these characters should die, you sound like a little kid.
Would you prefer a long winded post? I can do that.

Old 05-28-2014, 04:58 PM   #367
sabrecmc
Newbie First Class

That would suck for Renner if he finally gets a meaty part with Hawkeye and then Joss kills him off. Not that I put it past Joss. I saw Serenity...

I still vote Pepper, if I can't have Darcy die horribly. Pepper just makes the most narrative sense to me. I don't hate Pepper or anything, but can see that from a story point of view.

sabrecmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #368
TheVision

I hope whoever it is, they get it really nasty. Not a stab through the chest but some gnarly Ultron gangsta s***

TA-DOW!

Old 05-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #369
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

The ONLY Avenger I wouldn't have a problem with them killing is Hawkeye, and that's only if he proves himself first with a substantial role in this movie leading up to a heroic sacrifice.

I think a story could be told about the overlooked member of the team. The guy with no powers and the silly weapon. Someone who is implied to have as much guilt as Natasha does. Whose relationship with her is the closest thing he has to friendship or romance, even though it probably falls short of that since both of them are emotionally closed off loners.

He's the guy with nothing, who can finally come into his own and find friends and self-worth with the Avengers. And then he gives it all up to save the world.

I really like this version of Clint, which I see as what the classic Clint Barton might've become if he wasn't reformed and taken in by the Avengers as a young man. He's been worn down by a lifetime of loneliness and soul-crushing assassination work. So I'd actually enjoy seeing a heroic sacrifice story play out with him.

And even that has difficulties, because I doubt most members of the general audience see nearly as much in the movie version of Hawkeye. Lots of people just plain don't care about him, and AoU would have its work cut out trying to make him into a big deal. The lead up to his sacrifice would take time away from the bigger stars, and his death runs the risk of not making much of an impact regardless of how cool the film tries to make him out to be.

So IMO, they could do Clint if they can make it work. Anyone else? Hell no. It's nonsense to think that they'll kill any big superhero for real, and I'd like to think that we can move beyond the fridging female supporting characters for the sake of "drama."

ClarkLuther55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:43 PM   #370
ClarkLuther55
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrecmc View Post
I still vote Pepper, if I can't have Darcy die horribly. Pepper just makes the most narrative sense to me. I don't hate Pepper or anything, but can see that from a story point of view.
Kill Pepper and you ruin MCU's Tony Stark forever. Tony is outwardly fun and jokey, which is why audiences love him. Inside he can be a mess, but Pepper is the one who holds him together.

We do not need a super angsty, far more traumatized Stark. That's what he'll be in any future Avengers or Iron man films if this happens.

No way in hell Marvel will ever throw it all away like that.

ClarkLuther55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #371
TheVision

Pepper almost died in IM3, so wouldnt it be strange if they really killed her in AOU?

I think Joss knows what buttons to press with these characters, hes not going to cliche it up at this point.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #372
BAMF!
Newbie First Class

well joss did say that the empire strikes back was one of his inspirations for age of ultron. maybe he'll have an avenger with their fate in the balance at the end of the film like han in empire strikes back as opposed to actually killing someone

BAMF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #373
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMF! View Post
well joss did say that the empire strikes back was one of his inspirations for age of ultron. maybe he'll have an avenger with their fate in the balance at the end of the film like han in empire strikes back as opposed to actually killing someone
makes sense to me

Old 06-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #374
HUMANIMAL

cap gets frozen again?

MY FANART AND MANIPS
HUMANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:07 PM   #375
TheVision

*rubs hands* Cant wait to see what crazy ol Ultron has in store for The Avengers. I know hes gonna do some mean stuff to them. That will just make their glory so much more sweeter later on

Last edited by TheVision; 06-02-2014 at 12:12 PM.