The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Future Batman Movies

Old 12-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #201
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Batman Reboot JOKER Casting Thread

Damn, and I posted this before watching Mob City.

If anyone has seen that, tell me that Pegg's performance isn't a pitch perfect audition for a very new take on the Joker.

BattleAngel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #202
Boom
I got nothin'

I could see it.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #203
NinjaTurtleFan
Turtle Power!

Pegg is an interesting choice, don't get me wrong, but I would love to see an actor portray The Joker who physically sort of looks like him but as well as can develop a voice and a laugh for him too.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #204
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtleFan View Post
Pegg is an interesting choice, don't get me wrong, but I would love to see an actor portray The Joker who physically sort of looks like him but as well as can develop a voice and a laugh for him too.
Just for ****s and giggles... I'm a *terrible* artist, and this is way too camp, but I just did it quickly. You should check him out in Mob City if you haven't - he does a killer american accent and plays a stand up comic. It's pretty crazy. If he brought up the octave of his voice a little, I think he'd be able to do a pretty killer Joker voice. I'm imagining the characterization of this Joker as being way closer to the Mark Hamill version.

or here, with eyes reminiscent of the death of the family arc...

Last edited by BattleAngel; 12-22-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:40 PM   #205
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Old 12-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #206
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Final one. Again, ****** skills, but I think it would be great to see an "oops! Are they after me?" comedic/impish Joker. In my mind, this Joker would really be a supporting character villain, way more so than in TDK. Just popping up here and there, part of a wide rogue's gallery, like an evil Puck, getting some genuine laugh moments - but shown doing some absolutely ****ed up things (ie. Death of the Family). This would be a Joker that could conceivably go on to the Death of the Family arc... Not that I'd ever like to see that in a film.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #207
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

No Marilyn Manson eyes please!

But on the mob city note, his performance might honestly be the best on the show. I knew it was him because it looked like him, but the entire time I was watching him on screen I kept debating if it was an American that just happened to look like him. Couldn't get Scotty out of my mind lol.

1) The Avengers, 2) The Dark Knight, 3)Captain America:The Winter Soldier, 4) The Dark Knight Rises, 5) The Incredible Hulk, 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World,7) X-Men:FirstClass,8) Thor, 9) Thor:The Dark World, 10) Spider-Man 2,
scatterax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #208
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

My views on the new 52 joker, honestly, they mine as well just go ahead and adapt the human centipede as a joker plot. That's clearly the direction they're going with it.

1) The Avengers, 2) The Dark Knight, 3)Captain America:The Winter Soldier, 4) The Dark Knight Rises, 5) The Incredible Hulk, 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World,7) X-Men:FirstClass,8) Thor, 9) Thor:The Dark World, 10) Spider-Man 2,
scatterax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:26 AM   #209
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterax View Post
My views on the new 52 joker, honestly, they mine as well just go ahead and adapt the human centipede as a joker plot. That's clearly the direction they're going with it.
A lot of it, I totally agree. But there were a few parts about it that I really liked, namely the "Joe's Garage" costume, the opening scene of him casually breaking the necks of the cops in the precinct while telling a joke in the dark, the scene of him on the bridge where he's talking about how he "just... Well, GOT them," etc. and in general the whole symphonic build of his scheme. I also like the idea of his flaw: not wanting to ever know who Batman really is, and especially not wanting Batman to know who HE really was. The rhythm of his dialog was great too.

I, too, could totally lose the hyper-gore towards the end, the whole face-off angle, etc. I agree, it was a lot of shock value stuff that broke character.

Re: Manson eyes, I think there is something to be said for the idea of them having been damaged in the original chemical bath, or having two colored eyes like some dog breeds do. It makes for a look that breaks from the past- I'd rather avoid the Glasgow smile this time out. But yeah, I could take or leave the eyes, I just thought it made him look a little more wild. I also would prefer to lose some of the "menswear" look of the predecessors for something cheeky and blue collar like the Joe's Garage look.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:37 AM   #210
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterax View Post
The whole New 52 enterprise appears to be targeted solely at teens. Children and adults be damned.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #211
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice

If I had to succinctly put how I want The Joker to be portrayed next time, this is it - If Ledger was Tom Waits, the new Joker should be David Bowie.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #212
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

The Dark Knight Returns Joker is a bit like David Bowie.

NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #213
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
If I had to succinctly put how I want The Joker to be portrayed next time, this is it - If Ledger was Tom Waits, the new Joker should be David Bowie.
I'd be down for that!

So, Kevin Barnes?

I think he'd be AMAZING. He's our generation's closest thing to a Bowie type, but on an indie scale. He's a genius, and insanely theatrical. He could freaking design the costumes and sets himself.

I think a really cool take on Joker, one that is somewhat touched upon in TDK, is of a real cult of personality type, who may even seem to be a hero to many. Sort of an ultimate "occupy"-era figure (which Bane also touched upon, but failed imho, since he never seemed 'of the people') - he could be an environmentalist, lead a big movement of believers, and appear to be adhering to the law, 'not quite responsible' for what his believers were doing in his name. But in reality, he's a sociopathic meglomaniac with absolutely no humanist agenda other than to get off on mayhem.

I still like Simon Pegg as a "play it like the comics/cartoon/game" Joker, but Barnes' would be able to hold down a whole movie, no doubt.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #214
NinjaTurtleFan
Turtle Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleAngel View Post
Just for ****s and giggles... I'm a *terrible* artist, and this is way too camp, but I just did it quickly. You should check him out in Mob City if you haven't - he does a killer american accent and plays a stand up comic. It's pretty crazy. If he brought up the octave of his voice a little, I think he'd be able to do a pretty killer Joker voice. I'm imagining the characterization of this Joker as being way closer to the Mark Hamill version.

or here, with eyes reminiscent of the death of the family arc...

I have seen "Mob City" but just because he played a pathetic stand-up comedian doesn't mean he is a good pick for Joker. Don't get me wrong, I like Pegg, I think he is a swell guy, and a dude I'd love to share a beer with and talk nerdy **** with, but I just don't see him as Joker.

Go back a few pages and check out my picks.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #215
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Go back a few pages and check out my picks.
I did, as I've been reading the whole thread.

You want some comments? Sure, and I'll even give you the courtesy of trying to do so thoroughly, even though you've given no good reason as to why Simon Pegg couldn't play the role. (I suggested him before seeing Mob City, and was merely impressed by his emotional range in the role as well as his on-point accent, which would be perfect for Joker if ratcheted up a half-octave).

1) Vincent Cassel:
Plusses:
* He's already played one of my favorite fantasy villains on screen, the mutant-winged nutcase in Brotherhood of the Wolf
* He's got a great look and is a good physical actor - there's obviously that picture of him looking just like "The Man Who Laughs."
Negatives:
* He's typecast as a villain.
* He also has an incredibly thick accent. If you can point me to an example of him doing an even remotely passable American accent (or really anything other than thick, heavy French), I might be able to see it, but American audiences just aren't going to buy a Joker who isn't American or English (I'm not saying this is a GOOD thing, but I think it's more or less fact)
* In my opinion, I've never seen anything in which he is FUN. He's always very serious. I'm sure he can play evil & look the part, but I'm not at all sure he'd be FUN. And, traditionally, the Joker is a fun character with a great sense of humor, however twisted.

2) Sharlto Copley
Plusses:
* Great actor
* Interesting voice
* Amazing improviser with a great sense of humor
* Experienced with action films
* Known to US Audiences, and liked.
Minuses:
* Kind of too-goofy a look, even though this pic goes halfway towards making him seem decent.
[IMG]http://media.**************.com/images/users/uploads/19587/BATMAN%20Fan%20Cast%20-%20Joker%20-%20Sharlto%20Copley.jpg[/IMG]

3) Jude Law
Plusses:
* He's Jude Law, and like Fassbender, is a god of a man.
* His turn in Road to Perdition was a brilliant villain in which he lost himself to the role.
Negatives:
* He's almost too perfect looking.
* His Road to Perdition villain was a creepy, terrible human, but I don't think I see the potential to really be a DEVIL, which is what Joker is (to me).

4) Paul Bettany
Plusses:
* Good look
Negatives:
* Not a wild card. And if Joker is anything, he's a wild card.

5) Walton Goggins
Plusses:
* He's amazing on Justified, no doubt.
* Freaky dude, love him in just about every role.
* His mouth is insane.

* He's known to audiences, but not overexposed.
* He'd probably be a great team player, as he's never had a role as big as Joker.
Negatives:
* I can't think of any.

Yeah. Goggins could be very, very interesting. I'll do a manip of him when I get back to my computer in a bit.

But I maintain that Kevin Barnes & Simon Pegg are equally qualified candidates. I see the devil in both of them, and they are total wild cards. You might not like that flavor, but that's personal opinion. If I were to do a plus/minus for them, they'd end up on the Goggins side of things, with zero negatives.

Another interesting choice, if he were capable of speaking fluent English, is Antonio Birabent, who played my favorite screen villain of all time: Bruno Costas, the villain of Season 1 of Epitaphios.

I'll do some manips when I get back.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:40 PM   #216
georgec
Not a hero

Interesting suggestions in here. I think some can work, but I have a feeling nobody's going to touch that role for at least another 5-6 years.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #217
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Interesting suggestions in here. I think some can work, but I have a feeling nobody's going to touch that role for at least another 5-6 years.
I hope you're right. There are so many great Bat-villains, that a Joker is unnecessary. Between Heath & Jack, it's been nailed.

But it's still fun to dream & photoshop it!

Old 12-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #218
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Joker's got purple nips.

Goggins would be a colorful choice

Old 12-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #219
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

A friend asked me to make this one... LOL...

"It's all according to the plan.... Dexter..."

Old 12-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #220
shauner111
Side-Kick

Not a Jude Law fan. So no to that suggestion.

Copley is too predictable. He's more Riddler material. But even then, i think everybody is gonna start drifting towards him to be their action movie villain or quirky guy.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #221
georgec
Not a hero

Copley is the new Cumberbatch.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #222
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Not a Jude Law fan. So no to that suggestion.

Copley is too predictable. He's more Riddler material. But even then, i think everybody is gonna start drifting towards him to be their action movie villain or quirky guy.
Agreed. The only one of NinjaTurtleFan's suggestions I really dig was Goggins, but only as an extremely cartoonish Joker.

My pick is still Pegg, and in a real wildcard, supporting role. The Joker we haven't seen yet is the one who doesn't dominate a whole movie. I'd like the size of his role to be like the Scarecrow role from TDKT, but obviously even more scene stealing. But he's been shown perfectly in the main villain role twice already, and we don't need to water down his perfect batting average (pun intended hehe) with a main-villain role that doesn't hold up to Heath or Jack

Old 12-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #223
BattleAngel
Side-Kick

Here's another one based on a challenge a friend gave me. I am BY NO MEANS advocating for this person to be the Joker EVER. But with him sitting next to Tommy Boy... it was just too easy to accept the challenge.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #224
georgec
Not a hero

Better yet, cast Will Smith's son as Joker.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #225
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

No, Jaden Smith is Miles Morales.

NosfeRomas is offline   Reply With Quote