The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man Sequels

Old 08-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Default Spidey's Rebound Girl

So, for many months now, even before the set pics of Gwen wearing her death shroud, I've been speculating that Gwen will get off'd by the end of TASM2.

Mind you I've been beaten up over this belief and even with more recent pieces of evidence there are many that still seem to be unwilling to accept this as fate.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that Emma and Andrew have been amazing together. It's almost as if they are actually in love with each other (just being funny...).

With that point I think it's safe to say that it is going to be very hard for people to get over Gwen/Emma once she goes bye bye. We've even heard stories that she'll be brought back in TASM3 in dreams/nightmares/flashbacks. And then we have the fact that MJ has been removed from TASM2.

This got me thinking. It makes sense that one of the reasons they removed Shaelene's MJ was because they were bringing her in a bit early. I say that that is a little bit of hogwah because it's really about how they use the charater. Yes, if Peter started dating MJ the day after she dies the audience wouldn't be liking Peter too much. But she could have easily had more of a cameo role in TASM2 as nothing more than a friend of Gwen's, in order to set up the character for TASM3.

So, all of this got me thinking. If/when Gwen dies at the end of TASM2 it makes sense that most of TASM3 will be about him dealing with the pain. There is just no way that he could start dating MJ and the audience liking it in TASM3. Even if a bit of time has gone by between 2 and 3 (which would make sense), it would still come off as too soon to the general audience who wasn't there between her death and the events of #3.

But, one way this can be solved is by having a rebound girl (of sorts). Now let me set it clear that by "rebound" I mean the girl between Peter's first love and the true love that he will marry, and not even a "real" girlfriend, nor even right away. Still, this would have to be handled carefully, otherwise the audience would revolt.

So, I starting thinking about how this could be done and the best way I could come up with is by using...

The Black Cat!

I know, I know, this one is a bit obvious. But there are so many advantages to doing it this way...

First, it's not Peter that Cat is all hot for, it's Spiderman. I know they are the same, but this aspect of their relationship was very much part of it in the comic and led to their break up. This could be used in the movies as the catalyst for their not working out. Peter realizes that she loves Spidey and not him, so she's the wrong girl for him...

Plus it starts off more flirtatious than anything else. And the way that Black Cat flirts is very much in tune with her character. There is just so much that can be done with this and it will come off as fun, which would be less of an issue for the general audience than if it was more romantic.

For example, Black Cat could say things like:

"Crossed a Black Cat, seven years bad luck"

"Save a horse, ride a spider" (after jumping on Peter's back while swinging)
His response "Have you put on a few pounds?"

After tackling him:

"Where you going?"
"Home."
"Can I come?"
"Um."
"Can I?"
"No."
"Want to kiss me?"
"Um?"

She could even steal something and leave a trail in order to play this out:

Peter could say, after she forces a kiss on him and he pushes her away:

"Sorry, it's just that no one has ever tried to French kiss me through my mask before."

Or, while trying to save her after she just got beat up and is not breathing in TASM4:

"That has to be the first time I've been French kissed while giving mouth to mouth."

to which she responds:

"You can still do the chest compressions if you want."

Anyway, hopefully you guys can see what I'm getting at. By using Cat as an inbetween "relationship" (of sorts) kind of thing it can be played as though Peter isn't ready for it, while Cat finds his unwillingness attractive and continues to persue him. I think this would very much help us move on from Gwen in order to be ready for him and MJ, which would develop during #4 and we would be left with the possibility at the end!

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Default Re: Spidey's Rebound Girl

They could still introduce MJ as a friend and not a love interest, but I do like the idea of Black Cat being the "rebound girl." I love that panel from Ultimate Spider-Man... good memories!

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Black Cat would be perfect as the rebound girl. Having a relationship as Spider-Man rather than as Peter would bring a whole new dynamic to the series,

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:37 PM   #4
Picard Sisko

Yes. Peter Parker being single but Spider-Man having a love interest... it would be a great dynamic never seen before in a Spider-Man film.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 08-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Super Jim
Side-Kick

And better yet, Felicia could possibly be dating Harry, while Black Cat is combing the rooftops each night looking for Spiderman. Again, it would fit the Cat's personality.

It would be flirtatious, seductive, sexy, innappropriate at times, slightly over the top, and of course, fun. The one-liners alone would make it worthwhile.

But again, for the general audience, realizing that Black Cat is Harry's girlfriend will make them want Peter not to end up with her, which will make them root for MJ.

All of this would go very far in helping everyone, possibly even Peter, move on after losing Gwen!!!!!

Old 08-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Picard Sisko

Agreed.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Super Jim
Side-Kick

What I just realized is how the three different love interests for Peter/Spidey have three totally different levels of personality.

At the far left you have Gwen who is more reserved, intelligent and caring.

Then in the middle you have MJ who is more of a party girl, somewhat flirtatious and fun.

And then way on the right you have the Black Cat who is over the top flirty, sexy and at times inappropriate.

If you think about it, this all makes sense. The story wants Peter to end up with MJ, but he's first with the more nurturing Gwen. Once Gwen dies Peter can't just jump into MJ's arms. The audience won't allow it. They'd revolt. But if you have the over the top Black Cat persuing Spider-Man then the audience (especially the girl audience members) would despise the Black Cat (as a love interest) and would support MJ.

Just makes sense!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
amazingly atiba
Lets go catch a spider

you still have to remember that marc said he has seen all the rumors concerning gwen and he said no matter what we will be surprised

amazingly atiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ If I was him, after the set pics of Gwen wearing her death shroud, I would have stated the same thing. Could the bridge scene happen, with Gwen falling, and Spidey actually saves her? Maybe, it would definitely be a twist, but that would effectively be Raimi's MJ scene with Gwen and would be total blasphemy to the comic book canon. Even Emma said something about wanting to do the death scene right. Snikt!... Crack!... It better be!!!!!

As a director you want certain things to be a surprise, and when fanboys like us figure it out and write it on sites like this, that sucks for you (but oh well - it's part of the game).

My only worry is that they way we might be surprised is when the Goblin takes his mask off and it's Harry. (Just threw up in my mouth a little)!!!!!