Side-Kick

Default Rate Thor the Darkworld..............Once and for all

Once and for all rate Thor the darkworld on the poll

Zionite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
SymbioteKal-El
Side-Kick

Default Re: Rate Thor the Darkworld..............Once and for all

Average, and disappointing at the same time.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

My favorite Phase 2 film so far.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
BoredGuy
Killing Time

it's like when parents say they're not mad just disappointed..
I'm not mad at Thor:The Dark World, just very disappointed in it

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
Loki882
Side-Kick

It's, ok. Definitely the weakest MCU film thus far (mostly down to A LOT of wasted potential).

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
Infinight888
Side-Kick

The early phase 2 films were set up to be disappointing, simply because they were follow-ups to The Avengers. And of them, I'll be the first to admit that TDW was the weakest of the films. However, it certainly isn't deserving of the hate it gets.

What I Loved:
1. Thor's mother died, and the audience felt a legitimate loss at her death, unlike, say, Man Of Steel, where Jonathan's death was just something that happened, and then we moved on.
2. The final battle was really fun and interesting. Also unlike Man of Steel, where we got invincible people punching each other for an hour. I know some people will disagree, saying that it was confusing, and, in a way, it was. You should be confused. That was a confusing battle. But, in my opinion, that made it a fun battle to watch.
3. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! We get a more in-depth look at Loki's relationship with his mother and brother. We get to see the REAL Loki for once, get to see past the facade and into his heart. That's something we didn't get in Thor 1 or The Avengers. Honestly, even though he "died" before the final battle, I really felt like this movie was a Loki movie, rather than a Thor movie. And I'm okay with that.

Infinight888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Infinight888
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
It's, ok. Definitely the weakest MCU film thus far (mostly down to A LOT of wasted potential).
I would say Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk would be the weakest. But it's definitely down there.

Personally, I love the fact that Thor 2, which in my opinion is a pretty good movie in its own right, is often unpopular because Marvel had set the bar so high with all of its other films.

Infinight888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #8
ctriis
Side-Kick

Somewhere between Very good and Average, probably closer to former. For me it's in the bottom 3 of the MCU so far, but still a solid 7/10. That says something about the quality and consistency of the MCU.

ctriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

Average for an MCU film but among the genre as a whole it's quite good.

Current comic book TV show grades(ones that I watch, at least): Agents of Shield-[season 1: B-][season 2: B+]\The Flash-[season 1: B+/A-]\Arrow-[season 1: B+][season 2: B][season 3: C]\Agent Carter-[season 1: A-]\Daredevil-[season 1: A+]\iZombie-[season 1: Pending]
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
Visualiza
What is a yout?

^I'd say it's below average for an MCU movie, while average as compared to the entire genre. Could've been worse, but it could've been a lot better. I agree with the wasted potential remark from a few posts back.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

With Darcy, it's about a B-

Without Darcy, it would've jumped up to about a B+/A-

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #12
Human Torch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
My favorite Phase 2 film so far.
Mine too.

I think there were themes/certain areas that could've been better explored,but on the whole,I thought it was very enjoyable.

Some of the Darcy/Intern/Selvig stuff keeps me from voting Excellent.But it's still Very Good.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #13
MakeMinesMarvel
Child of the Atom

Could've been the best trilogy of the big three. Asgard is so poorly done and everyone from the Warriors 3 to Lady Sif is portrayed poorly. Loki/Thor are good in these two films but nothing else. These movies should be on par with the best MCU films marvel miscalculated people wanting to see Midgard all the time on film. No midgard in thor 3!

MakeMinesMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #14
Visualiza
What is a yout?

^I really don't think the solution is as simple as "They spend too much time on Earth, lol."

Those are the kinda of superficial complaints that yield movies like TASM 2.

Thor 2 (and to a lesser extent, the first movie, although I thoroughly enjoyed it) suffered from writing issues, and there wasn't much of a clear-cut direction as far as where they want to take the character. The time spent on earth is the least of their problems; an equally poor story, or worse, could have taken place anywhere else in the universe.

Old 11-26-2014, 03:55 PM   #15
Loki882
Side-Kick

They're not "poorly done" per se. They're just WAY underused. I gave it a pass in the first film because they had a lot to introduce and no one had ever done a superhero movie quite like this before. But there was NO EXCUSE for it in TDW. Especially since they spent far more time on Asgard, and yet the Asgardians got LESS to do this time around. And yet the useless comic relief got their roles increased. The priorities in the writing process were seriously messed up with this movie.

And the movie just felt kind of phoned-in. With GOTG and TWS, you could tell that the directors/writers had a clear vision with where they wanted to go and take the characters. Heck even IM3, as flawed as I found it in places, still had that. Shane Black had a specific take on IM and his world. With TDW, it felt like a case of "well we kind of HAVE to make another Thor film, and there's some stuff that we'd like to set up for future movies. So let's just crank this sucker out already." It was very paint by numbers and generic.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
kedrell

I for one kinda want to see Thor doing typical superhero stuff on Earth for a while by himself because in the Avengers movies he's not by himself, and in the first Thor movie he was powerless for most of his time here and then in the sequel it takes place mostly off Earth. Let's see him stop a natural disaster or two or fight some human villainy. I'd like to see that.

Not being a street level hero doesn't mean not dealing with that kind of stuff sometimes. I'm very happy about where Thor is after the end of the last film.

Current comic book TV show grades(ones that I watch, at least): Agents of Shield-[season 1: B-][season 2: B+]\The Flash-[season 1: B+/A-]\Arrow-[season 1: B+][season 2: B][season 3: C]\Agent Carter-[season 1: A-]\Daredevil-[season 1: A+]\iZombie-[season 1: Pending]
Old 11-26-2014, 04:32 PM   #17
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioteKal-El View Post
Average, and disappointing at the same time.
I was going to say inbetween the twwo but I voted for average worth watching once for MCU continuity sake but there is little reason to watch it again short of a director's cut

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Mine too.

I think there were themes/certain areas that could've been better explored,but on the whole,I thought it was very enjoyable.

Some of the Darcy/Intern/Selvig stuff keeps me from voting Excellent.But it's still Very Good.
Well nice to know I'm not the only one. However, I liked all the characters - and the humor. I thought Darcy was much funnier than the first film and Ian was hysterical. The only other MCU film's humor I enjoyed more was in the Avengers. I also love films like Spider-Man 2 and the first two Christopher Reeve Superman movies so I guess I can enjoy the sillier moments in films based on funny books without having a angsty emo cow over it.

But humor is a very subjective thing. Everybody's tastes are different. I'm obviously an outlier here on this site and I'm OK with that.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #19
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
They're not "poorly done" per se. They're just WAY underused. I gave it a pass in the first film because they had a lot to introduce and no one had ever done a superhero movie quite like this before. But there was NO EXCUSE for it in TDW. Especially since they spent far more time on Asgard, and yet the Asgardians got LESS to do this time around. And yet the useless comic relief got their roles increased. The priorities in the writing process were seriously messed up with this movie.

And the movie just felt kind of phoned-in. With GOTG and TWS, you could tell that the directors/writers had a clear vision with where they wanted to go and take the characters. Heck even IM3, as flawed as I found it in places, still had that. Shane Black had a specific take on IM and his world. With TDW, it felt like a case of "well we kind of HAVE to make another Thor film, and there's some stuff that we'd like to set up for future movies. So let's just crank this sucker out already." It was very paint by numbers and generic.
I feel it is a little unfair to say it was phoned in and is a disrespect to the people involved. I know from listening to interviews with Hemsworth and Hiddleston they most definitely did not "phone" it in.

As far as "vision", Shane Black had a very specific out of the box idea for his film that is either revered or reviled. Not exactly a home run there. And GOTG and TWS were both based on highly praised comic runs - arguably their greatest stories even. So yeah they had a specific vision because of the source material.

TDW did not have that luxury but rather had the job of tying up a lot of loose ends (e.g. Loki, Jane), introducing an Infinity Gem, bringing Thor back to Earth for Avengers: Age of Ultron while setting up the Thor series for a more resounding finale. It did all that while having a great deal of fun but delivered some really beautiful moments. The funeral of Frigga is my favorite moment in the entire MCU.

Yes Malekith was from Simonson's run but they made him a different character altogether because he would have been too much like Loki. They also needed to tie into the sci-fi premise that Branagh started. Thor needed to fit into Iron Man's world not the other way around. Hopefully Dr. Strange can push the envelope a little further and open up further possibilities for the MCU across the board.

But if they can draw on some of Thor's iconic stories for Ragnarok like Simonson or Roy Thomas or even Oeming along with the Blood Brothers storyline now that Loki is on the throne I think it will be a far more fair comparison to make when it comes to "vision".

Old 11-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #20
kedrell

Like I said elsewhere, I expect Thor 3 to be the best of the bunch.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #21
MakeMinesMarvel
Child of the Atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
^I really don't think the solution is as simple as "They spend too much time on Earth, lol."
Thor movies just need to be better TIH > Thor

MakeMinesMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:41 PM   #22
Mike Murdock
Side-Kick

Average for a Marvel film, but still good.

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #23
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
I feel it is a little unfair to say it was phoned in and is a disrespect to the people involved. I know from listening to interviews with Hemsworth and Hiddleston they most definitely did not "phone" it in.
Not to speak for the person you quoted or anything, but IMO, it was the overall package that seemed as if was made by committee. Most seem to agree that the Loki/Thor dynamic was well executed, in spite of the rest of the movie being average.

Quote:
As far as "vision", Shane Black had a very specific out of the box idea for his film that is either revered or reviled. Not exactly a home run there. And GOTG and TWS were both based on highly praised comic runs - arguably their greatest stories even. So yeah they had a specific vision because of the source material.
All of this is beside the point. Being based on a good story in no way guarantees success. There are enough poor cinematic adaptations out there, that I'm sure we've all seen, to support this. Even so, GotG is next to nothing like the DnA run (let alone the events leading up to it that formed the team in the first place), and I don't think it's a stretch to say that TWS was different enough from the Brubaker story to stand on its own merits.

Quote:
TDW did not have that luxury but rather had the job of tying up a lot of loose ends (e.g. Loki, Jane), introducing an Infinity Gem, bringing Thor back to Earth for Avengers: Age of Ultron while setting up the Thor series for a more resounding finale. It did all that while having a great deal of fun but delivered some really beautiful moments. The funeral of Frigga is my favorite moment in the entire MCU.
All of these movies have to hit certain wickets as they pertain to the MCU at large, so that isn't a very good excuse as to why TDW was so lacking. At the end of the day, there's a right way to do things and a wrong way, irrespective of the obstacles or obligations that are just a part of the process.

Quote:
But if they can draw on some of Thor's iconic stories for Ragnarok like Simonson or Roy Thomas or even Oeming along with the Blood Brothers storyline now that Loki is on the throne I think it will be a far more fair comparison to make when it comes to "vision".
While I would like to see the movies draw from some of the more memorable stories (who wouldn't?), that still doesn't excuse a lack of direction in the meantime. If the filmmakers know that they won't be adapting a classic story, then they still need to do their due diligence of crafting a suitable original story in the here and now. It's not an insurmountable task.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:51 PM   #24
meanmc
Side-Kick

I would vote "good", but there is no such option?!

I like the movie, but i think that all people are right who say, that there was wasted potential too...

meanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #25
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

7/10 and I feel this thread is redundant

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote