The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Default MCU Thor vs MCU Ronan

Thor vs Ronan, who would win and how would it happen?

Both wielding their signature weapons, but Ronan doesn't get to use the IG.

^ Ignore the Infinity Gem

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:41 PM   #2
Drizzle
Yo Soy Groot.

Default Re: MCU Thor vs MCU Ronan

In the movie universe, Ronan can't fly or summon lightning as far as I know. Plus his weapon isn't really anything special without the gem. It's no Mjolnir. Thor wins.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
seahammer
Asgardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
In the movie universe, Ronan can't fly or summon lightning as far as I know. Plus his weapon isn't really anything special without the gem. It's no Mjolnir. Thor wins.
Yep, I agree. Ronan is strong, but he is still outclassed by Thor. I would enjoy watching the fight, though!

Thanks for making this thread, BigThor! Now I won't be able to stop imagining them trade blows! Man, a video game set in the MCU would be great, wouldn't it?

Read my Thor 3 plot pitch

Read my Tales of Asgard mini-series pitch
seahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Marvelocity
Side-Kick

Thor beats him in hand to hand combat, but Ronan would put up a good fight. I don't know how strong this movie has made Ronan, but if we're talking about the actual comic characters, give me Thor over almost anybody not named Silver Surfer, Thanos, Galactus, Hulk, Odin, etc.

Marvelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Hmm. Without the infinity gem, I think Ronan puts up a solid fight but loses. He might well be as strong and tough as Thor, but his weapon is nowhere near as good. Ronan never showed the ability to pull out firepower anything like Mjolnir until after he added the Orb to his Universal Weapon.

With the Orb, I think Thor is screwed, natch. I'm iffy on whether he could meaningfully hurt Ronan, and I doubt he'd be able to pull off a "shatter the weapon" plan, or that he'd even really think of it mid-battle.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

What? Ronan's universal weapon was shattered by a home made rocket launcher, I'm sure it would crumble when it inevitably collides with Mjolnir.

Let's also not forget that Thor fought evenly with an IG powered Malekith, while he did recieve help at the end those wormholes saved Malekith from several blows.

Good feedback guys!

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 08-02-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #7
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Thor. Definitely Thor.

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Interstellar

Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:27 AM   #8
Chance Jackson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
Ummmm without the IG it one shotted
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The Other/Cton
with some kind of eminated concussive blast possibly killing him; Ronan has shown more skill than Thor so even if Mjolnir was more powerful than Ronan's sledgehammer I would say Ronan is more dangerous and capable than Thor

Chance Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Ronan seems far outclassed here.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
What? Ronan's universal weapon was shattered by a home made rocket launcher, I'm sure it would crumble when it inevitably collides with Mjolnir.
It got shattered by a complete surprise attack while unexpected. I doubt that it'd be nearly as fragile if Ronan is actually prepared for an attack and using its power as a weapon. Especially because Ronan would want to be using its power to parry Mjolnir; he certainly doesn't want to take hits on his body.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
Kirmit
Big Green Machine.

To be honest, no one in GOTG looked like they could win in a fight against Thor. Characters like Thor and Hulk seem far stronger than anything I saw in GOTG, I was disappointed the most by how Drax's power levels were portrayed in the MCU.

Last edited by Kirmit; 08-03-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Kirmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
OB12
Side-Kick

Drax seemed like he was somewhere around Iron Man level strength. He did rip apart one of those drones with relative ease, though I would've liked him to get a couple shots in on Ronan that stunned.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

Ronan did tank some pretty impressive things, two of which involving ship collisions. But Thor and Hulk should be packing nearly the same amount of force.

But I feel as though Hulk could easily rag doll him like with Loki, and that Thor might struggle a bit in hammer clash, but would ultimately nuke him with lightning, or reflect the hammer's concussive force right back at him.

Now if he had the Power gem for Round 2, then he might fare better. It's up to speculation if Hulk could survive it, but Thor could probably reflect that too, which would be really bad for Ronan.

CoherentChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #14
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
It got shattered by a complete surprise attack while unexpected. I doubt that it'd be nearly as fragile if Ronan is actually prepared for an attack and using its power as a weapon. Especially because Ronan would want to be using its power to parry Mjolnir; he certainly doesn't want to take hits on his body.
If something's durable enough it doesn't matter whether the attack is a suprise or not.

Although now that I think about it, we are talking IG's so you might be on to something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Jackson View Post
Ummmm without the IG it one shotted
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The Other/Cton
with some kind of eminated concussive blast possibly killing him
Which was badass, I wonder if it did actually kill him or just KO him.

Quote:
Ronan has shown more skill than Thor so even if Mjolnir was more powerful than Ronan's sledgehammer I would say Ronan is more dangerous and capable than Thor
Shown more skill? He only had one fight with a drunk Drax, imo Thor showed far more skill against Hulk.

Not to mention the Frost Giant fight, which still stands as one of Marvel Studios best fights.

Spider-Man - Hear what?

Last edited by BigThor; 08-03-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #15
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
If something's durable enough it doesn't matter whether the attack is a suprise or not.

Although now that I think about it, we are talking IG's so you might be on to something.
Even before the IG was involved, the device clearly was capable of generating force effects. Its not exactly unthinkable that said force effects can augment its durability, at least when Ronan is actually wielding it.

As for if any of the Guardians could hurt Thor, I'd actually put odds on Rocket, if anyone can. Note that his home built super-gun got no-sold by Ronan. . . after Ronan had the Orb. The same Ronan who no-sold the crash of his entire ship, which would certainly have at least KOed Thor or Hulk. So, I would not be shocked if it could at least hurt a Thor/Hulk class brick.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #16
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Even before the IG was involved, the device clearly was capable of generating force effects. Its not exactly unthinkable that said force effects can augment its durability, at least when Ronan is actually wielding it.

As for if any of the Guardians could hurt Thor, I'd actually put odds on Rocket, if anyone can. Note that his home built super-gun got no-sold by Ronan. . . after Ronan had the Orb. The same Ronan who no-sold the crash of his entire ship, which would certainly have at least KOed Thor or Hulk. So, I would not be shocked if it could at least hurt a Thor/Hulk class brick.
You're right, my memory is a little fuzzy in some areas I keep forgetting about those force blasts it emits. I can definately see Ronan using it to aguments the Universal Weapons durability, so good call on that.

I don't think that ship crash would've KO'ed Hulk or Thor, especially since how Thor has YET to be KO'ed in the MCU. Don't get me wrong though, they probably would've been a little woosy and I think Rocket's cannon would send Thor flying but it wouldn't really hurt him.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
The Endless
WE are Groot

Ronan seemed incredibly durable. Perhaps more so than Thor or Hulk. But i'm not too sure about his offensive output.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #18
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Ronan seemed incredibly durable. Perhaps more so than Thor or Hulk. But i'm not too sure about his offensive output.
That was with the Infinity Gem, which would be unfair since neither Thor or Hulk are IG powered.

In the opening paragraph I specifically I said this is Ronan without the use of an Infinity Gem.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM   #19
The Endless
WE are Groot

There isn't really any evidence that the Infinity Gem amped his durability. The power gem, which i safely assume it is, only effects offensive output.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:59 PM   #20
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Eh, there's no direct evidence, but I'm very leery of attributing such a high level of durability to Ronan unaided. It'd basically make him the most durable being in the MCU as of yet, by a pretty wide margin. It would also require greatly increasing the estimate for Drax's strength, given that Drax at least forced Ronan to actively fight back, and avoid being stabbed.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:26 AM   #21
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
There isn't really any evidence that the Infinity Gem amped his durability. The power gem, which i safely assume it is, only effects offensive output.
It amped Malekith's although that was a different gem, personally I don't think they're all that different.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:11 AM   #22
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelocity View Post
Thor beats him in hand to hand combat, but Ronan would put up a good fight. I don't know how strong this movie has made Ronan, but if we're talking about the actual comic characters, give me Thor over almost anybody not named Silver Surfer, Thanos, Galactus, Hulk, Odin, etc.
Thor could take two of the characters you mentioned in the comics anyway...

As for the MCU fight, the one thing that most MCU characters are lacking is strength feats. I can't seem to recall Thor lifting anything heavy in the MCU. In the comics, he's at the 100 ton + level.

Last edited by KangConquers; 08-05-2014 at 04:15 AM.
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #23
The Endless
WE are Groot

He couldn't take Silver Surfer. Unless Thor has been given faster than light superspeed somewhere down the line.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 AM   #24
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
He couldn't take Silver Surfer. Unless Thor has been given faster than light superspeed somewhere down the line.
In Matt Fraction's run, Thor showed that he had the reflexes necessary to counter Silver Surfer's speed, absorbing one of his blasts and shooting it back at him with Mjolinir.

Thor was also able to tag SS with a straight up hammer blow. Thor's been flying at Light Speed for quite a while, and it's been part of his official handbook stats for over 20 years.

Thor in warrior madness has also one shotted Silver Surfer with a single Strike from Mjolinir. I'm not saying that there aren't scenarios where Silver Surfer wins, but Thor is definitely capable of hold his own, and when Thor has crossed paths with the Surfer in the comics, he has generally given Norrin hell.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #25
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Ehhh. . . that kind of goes against basically the entire rest of Thor's history, where he is not shown with anything even resembling FTL super speed. Your more looking at a classic case of "guy with super speed forgets he has it when fighting someone who lacks it".