The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #551
Chewy
REDACTED

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5 -

lol I still remember Dark Knight ranting about how the Thor outfit looked like a "Party City costume" after the first still came out

Old 09-08-2013, 11:56 PM   #552
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Upgrade section 5 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrin Parker View Post
Yeah take Buffy the Vampire Slayer, she was very feminine but that didn't stop her from being a bad ass.
Exactly!!

And as for her costume.... Are people really that oblivious to think some girls actually quite like being sexy? And like showing skin? There's a reason ms marvel, Emma frost and star sapphire are actually some of the most popular costly costumes.... And out of the 3 of those ms marvel is easily the most conservative

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 AM   #553
Just_Human
Side-Kick

OMG sneak peek from AOU

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 09-09-2013, 12:53 AM   #554
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

I feel like I've seen that so many times on tumblr

Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, Spider-Man, Batman Begins, Batman '89, Captain America: The First Avenger, Iron Man, Iron Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man
Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 AM   #555
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrin Parker View Post
I feel like I've seen that so many times on tumblr
Have you ?

Have you ?

Because if you have, you can solve the riddle of your heart

Old 09-09-2013, 06:11 AM   #556
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Pretty much, but I've seen some television directors able to still film feature length films in a more cinematic way than Whedon was able to in "The Avengers".

I think one of Whedon's weaknesses is that he doesn't have that great of a visual eye for certain things. I mean the Hulk was one of the rare exceptions since he managed to get the Hulk's look right but I think that was more attributed to him being more of a comic book fan than any director who's tackled the character.

I mean just look at Captain America's and Thor's outfits in "The Avengers" as opposed to their outfits in their solo films. I've read many complaints on how people thought that the designs and fabrics for their Avengers getup looked like it was made for a TV movie whereas their solo film costumes haven't received such criticism as far as I've seen at least.

And I think another issue is that Whedon relied too much on using the visual panels from comics to map out on how he'd shoot certain moments in film, when he could have done a better job in making them look better on film while using the comics as inspiration.

Plus, the fact that his film is like the only film shot on a TV aspect ratio when compared to the rest of the MCU films is a strange thing as well.
When it comes to costumes I never put that much on the director. The overall design of course has to get his approval but I've never really seen any documentaries where the costume departments aren't working mainly with their own creativity based on input from the guys in charge. That of course doesn't change whether it's good or bad and personally I think the team on T:TDW seems to blow the rest out of the water when it comes to Thor.

How the movie was shot is a better criticism towards the director as he'll be giving the camera guys more direct and detailed input of how he would like something to be shown. That said I never had a problem with it. There were and the scene when the staff is starting to affect everyone in the Helicarrier. I know some people dislike the more narrow scope in some scenes, but I don't know if that due to Whedon being a TV director as much as it is him being very character focused. Hard to say for sure.

The reason it's shot in 1.85:1 is because it's in 3D. It's common view that the 2.35:1 ratio isn't working well with the 3D format and Whedon apparently shares that.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #557
Crimson King
Throwing shade

I thought Thor's costume in Avengers was a vast improvement over the disco pants we got in the first Thor movie. They've improved it again in TDW.

Recent guest appearances on The Hodgepodge Podcast to discuss 75 years of Batman and CA:TWS
Old 09-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #558
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

How the movie was shot is a better criticism towards the director as he'll be giving the camera guys more direct and detailed input of how he would like something to be shown. That said I never had a problem with it. There were and the scene when the staff is starting to affect everyone in the Helicarrier. I know some people dislike the more narrow scope in some scenes, but I don't know if that due to Whedon being a TV director as much as it is him being very character focused. Hard to say for sure.
Well I definitely don't speak for others but due to my career being within film making as well, I'm somewhat more pickier than others when it comes to the presentation of any film that I see. And yeah, I just wasn't a fan of the static shots that he had that had no "visual" depth to it.

I mean, I definitely think that "Iron Man 3" was a film that was better shot than "The Avengers" was when it comes to cinematography and execution of action scenes.

The shootout scene on board the Hellcarrier was one of the worst film shootouts that I've seen. It was just plain boring, and don't get me started on how the fight between Thor and Hulk lacked the intense feeling that such a moment would require on the big screen.

I remember whedon saying that he specifically chose a DP for the film that didn't have as much of a experience within making large scale/effects heavy films since he wanted more control over the visual stuff, and I think that was just a bad idea.

I'm not trying to dismiss the great stuff that Whedon brings, since he knows how to write a well rounded story and is a solid story teller, but a as a visual filmmaker, he still has a long way to go imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
The reason it's shot in 1.85:1 is because it's in 3D. It's common view that the 2.35:1 ratio isn't working well with the 3D format and Whedon apparently shares that.

Which is weird since every other Marvel film is shot on regular film aspect ratio and they still convert them to 3-D just fine.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 AM   #559
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Well I definitely don't speak for others but due to my career being within film making as well, I'm somewhat more pickier than others when it comes to the presentation of any film that I see. And yeah, I just wasn't a fan of the static shots that he had that had no "visual" depth to it.

I mean, I definitely think that "Iron Man 3" was a film that was better shot than "The Avengers" was when it comes to cinematography and execution of action scenes.

The shootout scene on board the Hellcarrier was one of the worst film shootouts that I've seen. It was just plain boring, and don't get me started on how the fight between Thor and Hulk lacked the intense feeling that such a moment would require on the big screen.

I remember whedon saying that he specifically chose a DP for the film that didn't have as much of a experience within making large scale/effects heavy films since he wanted more control over the visual stuff, and I think that was just a bad idea.

I'm not trying to dismiss the great stuff that Whedon brings, since he knows how to write a well rounded story and is a solid story teller, but a as a visual filmmaker, he still has a long way to go imho.
While I likely didn't have as much issues with it I remain with the opinion I wrote in my previous post; it's a legit criticism to be had against a director if you didn't like it. I think you come off as fair in your judgement, although I think "TV movie with a high budget" is a bit contradictory as that's really the only difference between the two kinds. I agree that the visual aspect isn't Whedon's strongest side.

Quote:
Which is weird since every other Marvel film is shot on regular film aspect ratio and they still convert them to 3-D just fine.
I've seen and heard quite a bit of discussions about it from people that are more into the technical aspects than I am and I've found it to be a common opinion as the added relative height makes it easier for the 3D to pop.

Personally I don't care about that issue as I don't like 3D.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 AM   #560
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

IMO a lot of the design of the Avengers felt very cheap-looking to me, especially the Helicarrier (like, you could tell easily it was all just a set) so I get the TV movie complaints. Hopefully Whedon changes his design and art crew this time around so we get something that looks visually interesting. Terminator: Salvation sucked but I think the design and overall layout of that movie was great, plus we have Ultron this time around, soo...

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #561
TeeKay
Side-Kick

I don't care if The Avengers looked like a TV movie One of the biggest applauses moments in that film is the" I'm always angry" scene. Right at that punch the audience is there with the film, and Hulk 100% more then they ever had been. One of the most epic moments I've seen in a theatre.

And of course how could I forget this EPIC moment..

Whedon knows what comic book fans what. He's the sought of guy who say "Wouldn't it be cool if".. He's a fanboys and that makes him the perfect director for The Avengers or any other CBM for that matter..This tracking shot proves it...

"FOREVER FIGHT AS ONE."
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Can't wait for this movie. BRING ON ULTRON!!!

Last edited by TeeKay; 09-09-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #562
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

I think saying that a movie set looks like a TV set is not a valid criticism. That I think is the real definition of a nitpick.

Real criticisms should be about pacing for example (I thought TDKR had bad pacing) or character... or you get the idea.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #563
DrDoom
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeKay View Post

"FOREVER FIGHT AS ONE."
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

My FAVORITE scene, love how Cap/Iron Man and Thor/Hulk do combo moves without even speaking

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Old 09-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #564
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

It´s great. The only thing is that Cap looks really animated when he does that jump.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #565
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
My FAVORITE scene, love how Cap/Iron Man and Thor/Hulk do combo moves without even speaking
Those quick shots are the kinds of things that I love about the movie - for all the nitpicks that people have, the little details that are incorporated make the movie for me. In my opinion, it's one of the most re-watchable movies ever as it's just a flat-out fun film.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #566
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyally View Post
It´s great. The only thing is that Cap looks really animated when he does that jump.
Does it really matter if he looks animated??? I suggest you watch this..
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The work put into that shot was incredible. I applause ILM for their work. They're truly amazing.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #567
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
I don't care if The Avengers looked like a TV movie One of the biggest applauses moments in that film is the" I'm always angry" scene. Right at that punch the audience is there with the film, and Hulk 100% more then they ever had been. One of the most epic moments I've seen in a theatre.

And of course how could I forget this EPIC moment..

Whedon knows what comic book fans what. He's the sought of guy who say "Wouldn't it be cool if".. He's a fanboys and that makes him the perfect director for The Avengers or any other CBM for that matter..This tracking shot proves it...

"FOREVER FIGHT AS ONE."
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I found the scene where all the characters are in a circle very cheesy, their overseriousness while posing to look cool for the camera is something as a kid i would think of but not really on a film like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #568
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
To be honest, at this point, the only thing that I'm mostly concerned and hoping for is that Joss has grown a lot as a filmmaker since having made "The Avengers" and that he shoots this film on a much better level than his previous film.

I know it's silly but whenever I watch the film on Blu-ray, I still can't get over at times on how it looks like it was shot in a way as though it were a TV episode with a massive budget.
This complaint continues to boggle me. I literally cannot conceive of what people are seeing. Are you *sure* your not just imagining this, based on your own preconceptions?

Old 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #569
TeeKay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
I found the scene where all the characters are in a circle very cheesy, their overseriousness while posing to look cool for the camera is something as a kid i would think of but not really on a film like this.
Yeah because when aliens are bringing armageddon on earth they should be smiling and posing for the camera instead of looking serious and bracing themselves to fight??

I know it's your opinion but.....

Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #570
Broseph44
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is one of the dumbest things I've read on these forums.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?

Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #571
Mightyally
Mr Arcade

Quote:
Does it really matter if he looks animated??? I suggest you watch this..
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The work put into that shot was incredible. I applause ILM for their work. They're truly amazing.
I have seen it already and I think you are getting the wrong idea here.

No it doesn´t matter. Not when it´s a good animation like that. Lol I too give them huge cred, I just said that he looks animated. If I could make something better, that would be it.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #572
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
This complaint continues to boggle me. I literally cannot conceive of what people are seeing. Are you *sure* your not just imagining this, based on your own preconceptions?
Some people just like to see some imaginative filmmaking with the filming and etc. The Cinematography in The Avengers was just nothing special.

Quote:
Yeah because when aliens are bringing armageddon on earth they should be smiling and posing for the camera instead of looking serious and bracing themselves to fight??

In which part of the post did i say they should be smiling or looking at the camera? Your gif foreshadows my reaction to the ignorance in the post i just read, not only do you answer by saying something i didn't say but you insult another opinion but your oun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #573
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
I find it very tongue-in-cheek.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #574
Crimson King
Throwing shade

Quote:

I agree with what you're saying, but...

Dude. Every time I see your posts, I feel like I've wandered into r/reactiongifs. You need a new shtick!

Also, that image is offensive. See if Reddit has another one you can use.

Recent guest appearances on The Hodgepodge Podcast to discuss 75 years of Batman and CA:TWS
Old 09-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #575
DrDoom
Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but...

Dude. Every time I see your posts, I feel like I've wandered into r/reactiongifs. You need a new shtick!

Also, that image is offensive. See if Reddit has another one you can use.

"Please, no human can hold such power"

"You're WRONG!"....."ONE can"
Closed Thread