The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2013, 02:28 AM   #26
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,876
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

My top two favorite live-action Batmen to date are Christian Bale and Val Kilmer, who just BARELY edges out Keaton. Clooney is a very good actor, but really wasn't the right choice to follow on from Keaton and Kilmer. It also didn't help that the script he had to work with was a complete tonal departure from the other films.

Having just said that, though, I do think Clooney would actually have been a good choice for the role that we now know is Affleck's.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 AM   #27
Jekecy
Side-Kick
 
Jekecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,854
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I don't think the competition is that great honestly. I still like Val Kilmer the most to be honest. I love Bale as an actor but he wasn't great or unbeatable performance wise which still surprises me because I thought I'd like his performance more when he was cast.
Yeah, competition isn't really immense by any means. Bale is undoubtedly this generation's Batman. But he also has quite a few detractors who are aching for a new actor. That alone doesn't make him as definitive and concrete as the likes of Connery, Reeve, Jackman, and Downey.

In a few years time I think Bale will end up in the same spot Maguire is in. Serviceable performance for the modern day, but ultimately upstaged with the right actor and script.

As far as Batman the persona is concerned, I've yet to see a fully formed personality close to the modern books. Batman Begins was the closest. For me it went completely downhill with the sequels due to Bale and the lack of Batman-focus in the scripts.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #28
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,409
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Bale did have the right script for his interpretation and he was the right actor for these movies. It then becomes a matter for which interpretation you like more.

And Connery's definitive nature is certainly being questioned as of Skyfall.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #29
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,491
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
Yeah, competition isn't really immense by any means. Bale is undoubtedly this generation's Batman. But he also has quite a few detractors who are aching for a new actor. That alone doesn't make him as definitive and concrete as the likes of Connery, Reeve, Jackman, and Downey.
Jackman has a LOT of detractors. The whole too tall, too pretty, too nice thing, and then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
And Connery's definitive nature is certainly being questioned as of Skyfall.
If you'd said that after Casino, I would've been all for it. But in Skyfall... Man, he was a muscular plank of wood.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 AM   #30
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,409
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I'm just saying that many many people love Craig and cite him as the definitive Bond.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:52 AM   #31
Jekecy
Side-Kick
 
Jekecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,854
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Jackman has a LOT of detractors. The whole too tall, too pretty, too nice thing, and then some.



If you'd said that after Casino, I would've been all for it. But in Skyfall... Man, he was a muscular plank of wood.
I'm speaking more from the mainstream audience's perspective. They're not aware of those character details from the books like we are. For all intents and purposes, Jackman is a bad-ass Wolverine.

Batman has a bit more public awareness thanks to his long history, so people sort of know what to expect from the get-go. I don't think it's any secret Bale's performance annoys and turns off some people. Overall he does get praise, but the detractors are loud enough that even his fans know it's an issue with others.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #32
ЯɘvlveR
danneB
 
ЯɘvlveR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,180
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

bale is definitely in the discussion of best actor of his generation, along with the like of dicaprio, fassbender, phoenix, I'm sure I've left some out. with that said bale wasn't the perfect batman.

__________________
All your data are belong to Braniac.
ЯɘvlveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:59 AM   #33
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,409
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Nobody was. Nobody will be. That's the beauty of Batman. Grant Morrison sees it (that's probably why I worship the guy).

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #34
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,880
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Performance-wise, he'll be great just as long as he loses the Boston accent and transcend beyond Ben Affleck in a costume to Batman. It's audience reception is what we should all worry about. For the fans like people here and me, it would be welcomed just as long as he gives a good performance faithful to the character.

However ther's the other folk, the General Audience and Public. Going by Amazing Spider-Man's reception, even when 2015 arrives, Nolan's Bat Trilogy would still have a lot of hold on the GA and many would still be saying "It's too soon!, Bale's the true Batman!" etc just like with Raimi's Spider-Man. There are still plenty of Bale-purists/Nolanites who don't really realise that Bale wasn't that great and perhaps was a little overrated and would continue to look at the Bat-Trilogy with nostalgic rose-tinted glasses. Just the other day I was repeatedly scolded, reprimanded and yelled at by several friends when I was feeling these feelings which were summed up in these songs:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


All after saying Bale's overrated and that Affleck would be a fantastic Batman and better than Bale and more faithful to the character.

So Affleck would continue to be compared to Christian Bale for many years to come, even when the new Batman solo movie arrives which I imagine would be approximately 10 years or more since TDK.

Poor guy.
I think you should always show tact when saying someone's overrated in a particular role. The way I see it, Bale was robbed of the ability to play a Batman who was true to the pages.

I think Nolan would rather make a movie character the audience will sympathize with, than bring to life the detective/martial artist/planner from the comics. There ARE moments in the TDK trilogy where that occurs, but it's subtle and easily missed. Bale did a bit of investigating in Begins and some in TDK. But his role wasn't built around being a detective, just an opposing force to evil.

I think Snyder cares more about staying true to the personality of the character. I think Cavill felt more like Superman than Bale felt like Batman. He just wasn't given a consistently good script.

But to me, the supporting characters are who I think fall under the radar.

I personally think Caine's Alfred may not be surpassed as a performance. Ledger, would be more than difficult to top (Yeah, he isn't underrated, but I'm trying to make a statement)

Oldman as Gordon, I think kind of fell in the background. He'll be tricky to match, and I think he did a perfect job at playing a sympathetic character.

Bale had a bit of screen presence, and was BELIEVABLE as someone who COULD kick butt. However, I think that if Affleck gets jacked, the effect will be similar.

I think the belief that a person has to be a great actor overall to play Batman is wrong. I feel like the person who plays Batman just has to have expressive eyes, and an intimidating voice. And muscles are pretty much a requirement this day and age.

Wayne is trickier, but I think Affleck would have no trouble playing jokey Bruce, and I think he could even play broody Bruce well.

But I think there should be elements to throw off the appearance of Affleck when he's Bruce. Long(er) hair, that kind of thing.

But BA will have to NAIL the role, and not upstage Cavill. That will be hard, I think.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #35
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 20,364
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I think it's too early to really consider where Ben Affleck will stand in comparison to the other Batman actors in film history. We probably hav to wait for the film itself to assess that, though the trailers and promotional images might give us enough of an inkling to at least begin the discussion.

That said, as a Ben Affleck fan and a supporter of him taking the role of Batman, I think he's going to have a hard time topping Christian Bale. It's become trendy to trash him in some quarters, but for me, Bale is the definitive Batman, he's MY Batman. Indeed, Batman Begins first came onto my radar as a film to actually look forward to when Bale was cast in the leading role. He was already one of my favourite actors, and his role as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho was at the time my all-time favourite film performance. And Bale met my lofty expectations, crafting a complex, powerful performanceas Bruce Wayne with an arc spanning over three films. I remember experiencing the Keaton films, the Kilmer and Clooney films, and Kevin Conroy in the Animated Series back when they were new, not to mention Adam West in reruns of the old TV series, and I've been a Batman fan my whole life. But it wasn't until the Christian Bale era that Batman actually became my favourite character in the Batman mythos: before that it was the villains - mostly The Joker - who I singled out as my favourites.

So no, I don't think Affleck will top Bale. But I wasn't expecting anyone to top the perfect storm of one of my favourite actors playing my favourite character in fiction. I do feel like Affleck should be a worthy successor though, and it may be a case of apples and oranges where the two can't really be compared. Bale played a specific interpretation of Bruce Wayne and Batman, one with a finite journey that came to a rewarding, closed conclusion. Affleck could be poised to play something more like the Batman of the comics, someone on an endless quest who has dedicated himself to a lifelong battle against crime. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I love the Dark Knight trilogy as a closed, complete world with a beginning and an (open) end. But Affleck can be a different Batman, one of a larger shared universe.

__________________
Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #36
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,491
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I think it's too early to really consider where Ben Affleck will stand in comparison to the other Batman actors in film history. We probably hav to wait for the film itself to assess that, though the trailers and promotional images might give us enough of an inkling to at least begin the discussion.

That said, as a Ben Affleck fan and a supporter of him taking the role of Batman, I think he's going to have a hard time topping Christian Bale. It's become trendy to trash him in some quarters, but for me, Bale is the definitive Batman, he's MY Batman. Indeed, Batman Begins first came onto my radar as a film to actually look forward to when Bale was cast in the leading role. He was already one of my favourite actors, and his role as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho was at the time my all-time favourite film performance. And Bale met my lofty expectations, crafting a complex, powerful performanceas Bruce Wayne with an arc spanning over three films. I remember experiencing the Keaton films, the Kilmer and Clooney films, and Kevin Conroy in the Animated Series back when they were new, not to mention Adam West in reruns of the old TV series, and I've been a Batman fan my whole life. But it wasn't until the Christian Bale era that Batman actually became my favourite character in the Batman mythos: before that it was the villains - mostly The Joker - who I singled out as my favourites.

So no, I don't think Affleck will top Bale. But I wasn't expecting anyone to top the perfect storm of one of my favourite actors playing my favourite character in fiction. I do feel like Affleck should be a worthy successor though, and it may be a case of apples and oranges where the two can't really be compared. Bale played a specific interpretation of Bruce Wayne and Batman, one with a finite journey that came to a rewarding, closed conclusion. Affleck could be poised to play something more like the Batman of the comics, someone on an endless quest who has dedicated himself to a lifelong battle against crime. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I love the Dark Knight trilogy as a closed, complete world with a beginning and an (open) end. But Affleck can be a different Batman, one of a larger shared universe.
Great post.

EDIT: And avatar.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 AM   #37
Polux
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 666
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I think it's too early to really consider where Ben Affleck will stand in comparison to the other Batman actors in film history. We probably hav to wait for the film itself to assess that, though the trailers and promotional images might give us enough of an inkling to at least begin the discussion.

That said, as a Ben Affleck fan and a supporter of him taking the role of Batman, I think he's going to have a hard time topping Christian Bale. It's become trendy to trash him in some quarters, but for me, Bale is the definitive Batman, he's MY Batman. Indeed, Batman Begins first came onto my radar as a film to actually look forward to when Bale was cast in the leading role. He was already one of my favourite actors, and his role as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho was at the time my all-time favourite film performance. And Bale met my lofty expectations, crafting a complex, powerful performanceas Bruce Wayne with an arc spanning over three films. I remember experiencing the Keaton films, the Kilmer and Clooney films, and Kevin Conroy in the Animated Series back when they were new, not to mention Adam West in reruns of the old TV series, and I've been a Batman fan my whole life. But it wasn't until the Christian Bale era that Batman actually became my favourite character in the Batman mythos: before that it was the villains - mostly The Joker - who I singled out as my favourites.

So no, I don't think Affleck will top Bale. But I wasn't expecting anyone to top the perfect storm of one of my favourite actors playing my favourite character in fiction. I do feel like Affleck should be a worthy successor though, and it may be a case of apples and oranges where the two can't really be compared. Bale played a specific interpretation of Bruce Wayne and Batman, one with a finite journey that came to a rewarding, closed conclusion. Affleck could be poised to play something more like the Batman of the comics, someone on an endless quest who has dedicated himself to a lifelong battle against crime. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I love the Dark Knight trilogy as a closed, complete world with a beginning and an (open) end. But Affleck can be a different Batman, one of a larger shared universe.
x 10000000000

Took the words right outta my mouth and agree 99.9%, except for Batman not being your favorite character before; Bats has been my favorite character ever since I was 3, from the comics, the 60s show, the movies and animation, and Bale is my favorite version of the character; even as it differs from the comics cannon, I think that in many ways is the most faithful adaptation of the core of the character, and now we can look forward to a different, maybe more comic-faithful version with Affleck, I remain positive.


Polux

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #38
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist
 
slumcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 3,784
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Batman Look: Remains to be seen how he will stack up.

Costume: Ben Affleck Costume will be the best no doubt about that.

Physique: Ben Affleck will be the best most powerful looking and the most physically superior Batman ever. No doubt about that.

Bruce Wayne Look: I think it is safe to say that he won't place in the Top 3.

Batman Voice: Remains to be seen honestly.

__________________
A sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth.
~ F. Scott Fitzgerald ~
slumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #39
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 15,304
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I like Keaton and still think he has value. Though Bale is my fave. Always will be, to be honest. I think Affleck can mix in with those two, probably third, or second on the list. He'll have the body mass, and the playboy side I'm sure. I'm interested in how he'll be behind the mask.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #40
GreenKToo
In the fire
 
GreenKToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the fire.
Posts: 11,180
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Can't say. He will certainly look the part tho.

__________________
''Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.'' ~ John Wayne


GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #41
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial
 
NickNitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Second Star to the Right
Posts: 8,222
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I swear to God if he has that horrible voice Bales Batman had I'll be soo upset. That was by far the cheesiest part of Nolans Batman, as well as the mask.

I honestly think Affleck is going to do just fine but like many have said before its way too early to make any assumption to his character.

__________________
Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she's a witch?
Peasant 3: Well, she turned me into a newt!
Sir Bedevere: A newt?
Peasant 3: ..... I got better.
NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #42
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick
 
FlawlessVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,246
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Seems like Affleck has a leg up as Batman considering so many people dislike Bale's Batman voice. I'm not one of those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I think it's too early to really consider where Ben Affleck will stand in comparison to the other Batman actors in film history. We probably hav to wait for the film itself to assess that, though the trailers and promotional images might give us enough of an inkling to at least begin the discussion.

That said, as a Ben Affleck fan and a supporter of him taking the role of Batman, I think he's going to have a hard time topping Christian Bale. It's become trendy to trash him in some quarters, but for me, Bale is the definitive Batman, he's MY Batman. Indeed, Batman Begins first came onto my radar as a film to actually look forward to when Bale was cast in the leading role. He was already one of my favourite actors, and his role as Patrick Bateman in American Psycho was at the time my all-time favourite film performance. And Bale met my lofty expectations, crafting a complex, powerful performanceas Bruce Wayne with an arc spanning over three films. I remember experiencing the Keaton films, the Kilmer and Clooney films, and Kevin Conroy in the Animated Series back when they were new, not to mention Adam West in reruns of the old TV series, and I've been a Batman fan my whole life. But it wasn't until the Christian Bale era that Batman actually became my favourite character in the Batman mythos: before that it was the villains - mostly The Joker - who I singled out as my favourites.

So no, I don't think Affleck will top Bale. But I wasn't expecting anyone to top the perfect storm of one of my favourite actors playing my favourite character in fiction. I do feel like Affleck should be a worthy successor though, and it may be a case of apples and oranges where the two can't really be compared. Bale played a specific interpretation of Bruce Wayne and Batman, one with a finite journey that came to a rewarding, closed conclusion. Affleck could be poised to play something more like the Batman of the comics, someone on an endless quest who has dedicated himself to a lifelong battle against crime. I'm not saying one is better than the other. I love the Dark Knight trilogy as a closed, complete world with a beginning and an (open) end. But Affleck can be a different Batman, one of a larger shared universe.
Co-signed. Bale will forever be my Bruce Wayne/Batman

I'm excited to see how it goes with Affleck though.

FlawlessVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #43
The Guard
Side-Kick
 
The Guard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 26,106
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

People have this emotional attachment to Christian Bale's take on the character, which is understandable, my generation had that connection to Michael Keaotn, and that often seems to blind them to the fact that while he was certainly good, he wasn't exactly great in the role, or somehow irreplaceable. Bale's Bruce Wayne is fantastic, but it's also kind of hit or miss at times. His Batman, even moreso, and his voice was ridiculous for the most part.

My prediction? Affleck will be right up there with Bale and Keaton in terms of performance quality, and odds are good that he'll be the most comic book accurate representation of both Bruce Wayne and Batman we've seen in a major motion picture.

__________________
Writer and Lyricist of GOTHAM'S KNIGHT: THE BATMAN MUSICAL

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #44
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial
 
NickNitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Second Star to the Right
Posts: 8,222
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
People have this emotional attachment to Christian Bale's take on the character, which is understandable, my generation had that connection to Michael Keaotn, and that often seems to blind them to the fact that while he was certainly good, he wasn't exactly great in the role, or somehow irreplaceable. Bale's Bruce Wayne is fantastic, but it's also kind of hit or miss at times. His Batman, even moreso, and his voice was ridiculous for the most part.

My prediction? Affleck will be right up there with Bale and Keaton in terms of performance quality, and odds are good that he'll be the most comic book accurate representation of both Bruce Wayne and Batman we've seen in a major motion picture.
Thank you! I completely agree. I loved his Bruce Wayne but his Batman was pretty meh. God I just hated his Batman voice......idk why it just really annoyed me and became really distracting especially going into the third film.

__________________
Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she's a witch?
Peasant 3: Well, she turned me into a newt!
Sir Bedevere: A newt?
Peasant 3: ..... I got better.
NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #45
Elevator Man
Side-Kick
 
Elevator Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,072
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I can't answer the OP's question b/c it's too soon to make comparisons (and in some of the posters case) assumptions.

And I laugh at the revisionist history going on up here. All of a sudden Bale didn't look like Bruce/Batman b/c Affleck is now the first and only actor to look like the character right off the pages. I bet some of these posters were saying the same thing about Bale a decade ago. I guess it's out with the old and in with the new. It's the type of crap bandwagon fans do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Performance-wise, he'll be great just as long as he loses the Boston accent and transcend beyond Ben Affleck in a costume to Batman. It's audience reception is what we should all worry about. For the fans like people here and me, it would be welcomed just as long as he gives a good performance faithful to the character.

However ther's the other folk, the General Audience and Public. Going by Amazing Spider-Man's reception, even when 2015 arrives, Nolan's Bat Trilogy would still have a lot of hold on the GA and many would still be saying "It's too soon!, Bale's the true Batman!" etc just like with Raimi's Spider-Man. There are still plenty of Bale-purists/Nolanites who don't really realise that Bale wasn't that great and perhaps was a little overrated and would continue to look at the Bat-Trilogy with nostalgic rose-tinted glasses. Just the other day I was repeatedly scolded, reprimanded and yelled at by several friends when I was feeling these feelings which were summed up in these songs:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


All after saying Bale's overrated and that Affleck would be a fantastic Batman and better than Bale and more faithful to the character.

So Affleck would continue to be compared to Christian Bale for many years to come, even when the new Batman solo movie arrives which I imagine would be approximately 10 years or more since TDK.

Poor guy.
I think the GA has every right to be upset. In their POV most believed Batman was retired after TDKRises and therefore wouldn't have anymore films for a while. Barely a year after TDKR release TPTB decide to put Batman in a sequel to a Superman movie . I think it is too soon to introduce a new batman especially since the last trilogy just ended not too long ago. I guess a year feels like a decade for WB. And it's not just the GA Affleck has to deal with but the majority of the critics, who loved Bale's portrayal and the Nolan trilogy for the most part. And nostalgia has nothing to do with TDKT. It ended last year how are people nostalgic over it. I think some people are upset b/c it feels too soon to reintroduce Batman on the big screen again. The franchise needed a few more years rest. I agree that the character needs a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I think he may end up being the best we've had so far. He will definitely kill the Bruce Wayne role, and as Batman he'll be the most intimidating physically we've ever had.
LOL I bet you said the same thing about Bale when he was cast a decade ago. More revisonist history.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #46
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,876
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

@Elevator Man: Anyone who thought that Warner Bros. wasn't going to make another film using or featuring Batman was kidding themselves.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #47
Elevator Man
Side-Kick
 
Elevator Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,072
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I'm sure Batman would've made an appearance in that rumored JL movie. I believe the GA weren't expecting Batman to return in another 5-7 years at least.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #48
NickNitro
Extra Terrestrial
 
NickNitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Second Star to the Right
Posts: 8,222
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I can agree with the "it's too soon" notion. I feel like its a bit rushed. A sequal MoS movie without Batman would of been just fine in my eyes.

I have always felt they are trying to play catch up with Marvel, and this feeling rushed just solidifies my feeling on the matter.

__________________
Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she's a witch?
Peasant 3: Well, she turned me into a newt!
Sir Bedevere: A newt?
Peasant 3: ..... I got better.
NickNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #49
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,876
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
I'm sure Batman would've made an appearance in that rumored JL movie. I believe the GA weren't expecting Batman to return in another 5-7 years at least.
I doubt the 'general audience' has any objections to them including Batman in the MoS sequel. It's only the 'fanboys' who have a problem, at least insofar as I can tell.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #50
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY
 
Rowsdower!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MNF 'til 2021
Posts: 17,360
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I think there's a chance that Ben could be the best Batman yet. I'm not saying that he absolutely will, but the only other two I've liked were Bale and Keaton. Bale was absolutely the best Bruce Wayne and had the physicality that Batman absolutely needs. Keaton had the best Batman voice and (IMO) the best costume in Batman '89.

I'll never understand why anyone liked Kilmer's Batman/Bruce Wayne. He was either flat to the point of acting catatonic, or just over-the-top awful "HAAARRVEEEEEEY! IIIII'MMMM BATMAAAAAN!"

Clooney was also terrible, but I think that he might have been decent in a better movie.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.