The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #76
DorneyDave
Side-Kick
 
DorneyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,345
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

We already know he's going to look awesome and Snyder is going to shoot some really cool action scenes with him.

If he nails the voice and body language.....he could be the tops.

My list is

1. Bale.
2. Keaton.

123543.The rest

DorneyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #77
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro
 
LuisTX85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,358
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I'm probably in the most minority But my list is..

#1-Keaton
#2-Val Kilmer
#3-Christian Bale
#4-George Clooney

I honestly think Affleck will end up being the best or at least since Keaton!

LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #78
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,401
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

For me, Kilmer edges out Keaton as my second-favorite Batman actor because of the fight scenes and the way he looks in the cape and cowl, as well as this Bruce Wayne scene:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #79
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat
 
Malcolm Reynold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England
Posts: 363
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
For me, Kilmer edges out Keaton as my second-favorite Batman actor because of the fight scenes and the way he looks in the cape and cowl, as well as this Bruce Wayne scene:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I agree with you, I am one of the few people who actually likes Forever. Everyone now and then it's fun to see a more kid-friendly version of Batman, like Brave and the Bold, and Forever found just the right level without going too over the top like Batman and Robin or the Adam West Batman. Keaton to me could have been amazing under a different director, but I think Burton is a really bad director and he ruins the first two films for me.

Malcolm Reynold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #80
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,401
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

^ I'm surprised to hear you say that you like Batman Forever but didn't like Batman '89 and Batman Returns because, honestly, there really isn't that much of a difference, in terms of overall tone and feel, between the three films. Batman Forever is very much in the same vein, tonally, as Batman '89 and Batman Returns, with the only major difference between BR and BF being that the latter isn't as disturbingly FREAKY as the former.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #81
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat
 
Malcolm Reynold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England
Posts: 363
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
^ I'm surprised to hear you say that you like Batman Forever but didn't like Batman '89 and Batman Returns because, honestly, there really isn't that much of a difference, in terms of overall tone and feel, between the three films. Batman Forever is very much in the same vein, tonally, as Batman '89 and Batman Returns, with the only major difference between BR and BF being that the latter isn't as disturbingly FREAKY as the former.
My main problem with Batman 89 and Batman Returns is that Batman just kills whenever he wants, but I also think Burton just isn't a good director and it ruins the films for me. Also I don't get why you say 89 and Returns are the same tone as Forever, the tone is completely different and on polar opposite ends of the spectrum.

Malcolm Reynold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #82
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,374
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Batman Forever at least tries to be about Batman and explore his character, unlike Burton who was to obsessed with the villains. Also, Forever Batman doesn't act like the Punisher.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #83
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro
 
LuisTX85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,358
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I enjoy Forever But B'89&Returns are still my personal favorite Bat films,Killer is my #2 But not so much behind Keaton,Say what you want about Forever as a movie on it's own But I've always felt the Bruce Wayne&BatMan character was done some justice and Kilmer really nailed being both..For the most part

He also has been the most closest to Bruce&Bats from the animated series..Which is still my favorite outside the comics

LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #84
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,401
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Reynold View Post
My main problem with Batman 89 and Batman Returns is that Batman just kills whenever he wants, but I also think Burton just isn't a good director and it ruins the films for me. Also I don't get why you say 89 and Returns are the same tone as Forever, the tone is completely different and on polar opposite ends of the spectrum.
The only significant difference I see between Batman Returns and Batman Forever (and Batman '89, to a lesser degree) is that Batman Forever isn't disturbingly FREAKY like Batman Returns. All 3 films have a very distinct gothic/noir feel to them that comes across both in the visuals as well as in the way some of the characters, particularly the villains, are written and portrayed.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #85
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat
 
Malcolm Reynold's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: England
Posts: 363
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

My biggest problem with Forever is just that the third act is a little too cheesy but the first two acts I really like.

Malcolm Reynold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #86
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro
 
LuisTX85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,358
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Batman Forever at least tries to be about Batman and explore his character, unlike Burton who was to obsessed with the villains. Also, Forever Batman doesn't act like the Punisher.
One reason why I like Forever and yes even Batman&Robin and give them a pass to an extend is because Bruce Wayne&Batman(especially Kilmer)really do feel the closest to me,They feel like great adaptions for Silver&Golden age Batman

Problem is though that Bruce/Batman(especially Kilmer)is like a modern version stuck in the old school comics and cartoons's world

LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #87
DvilDog
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: texas
Posts: 1,127
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Haven't seen Forever in years. Might have to go back to that one soon, I enjoyed both Batman 89 and Batman Returns and can remember going to the theater as a kid to see them both. Those 3 I can watch anytime. Can't say the same for any of the new films. I really have to be in a mood. Don't get me wrong I liked them all, but have only watched TDK 3 times to my knowledge and have only seen TKDR once. Actually tried to sit down and watch Begins today and I couldn't make it through it. I kept falling asleep, which is strange because it's not like I find the movie boring.

DvilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #88
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 10,497
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Kilmer could have been a good Batman under better direction but he was just OK. The thumbs up and the bad dialogue while under the cowl made him jokey. But he could have been great because he's a good actor and had the look and voice for it. His Bruce Wayne on the other hand was very good. Too bad it was wasted with those Kidman scenes.

Keaton was an entertaining Wayne but not much like the character. A great Batman though. Too bad Burton made him not only kill (stupid choice) but also made him a supporting character in his own movies.

Clooney was horrible in everything.

Bale was the best Bruce Wayne and until Affleck shows us his stuff, he'll still be the best Bruce. Affleck has a chance to do better though. Even though he's not on the acting level of Bale, with the right portrayal he could deliver the genius but cold/obsessive Bruce we've been waiting for. As Batman? Bale was great but still not the best. That title will probably go to Affleck under Snyder's direction and visuals.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #89
DvilDog
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: texas
Posts: 1,127
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Yeah I would have to vote Kilmer right now, with Bale's Bruce being a close 2nd. Which is also weird because I type this the one question that pops in my mind is "Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" My childhood coming back to **tch slap me for not picking Keaton I guess.

DvilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #90
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro
 
LuisTX85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,358
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

In my mind&heart Kilmer has been the best Bruce AND Batman But I always pick Keaton as #1 mostly cause of nostalgia and being biased,I saw B'89 in theaters at 4 or 5 yo and was so amazed that he instantly became my #2 super hero(I was obsessed with the old Zorro Disney show),I liked the 60's show But was mesmerized by B'89 and Keaton's Batman and I started reading comics with them mostly being Batman comics when Returns just came out.

Plus my favorite Bat Suit on film is B'89 or Returns's,I didn't and still don't have much of a problem with him killing cause Bob Kane had him kill in the first couple of issues

LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:57 PM   #91
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,374
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

To be fair to Keaton, most of the issues that I have with him aren't really his fault, the script and writing let him down big time. He COULD have played a good Bruce Wayne, I don't doubt that, but wasn't given the chance,

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #92
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,401
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Clooney could've been decent if the script he had to work with was closer in tone to that of the previous 3 films.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #93
DvilDog
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: texas
Posts: 1,127
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
Clooney could've been decent if the script he had to work with was closer in tone to that of the previous 3 films.
agreed

DvilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:20 PM   #94
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,401
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I was thinking about the reasons why Batman and Robin is the worst of the 7 films to date, and identified 3 things:
1) The drastic and dramatic tonal shift
2) Arnold's over-acting
3) Clooney being ill-suited to the tone of the script

Clooney is such a different type of actor from Keaton and Kilmer that it would've been jarring going from them to him either way, but having a script that was tonally similar to their films, coupled with Clooney's acting skills, would've probably been enough to offset things.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #95
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective
 
Nave 'Torment''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Bat-Garage
Posts: 4,785
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Batman Forever wasn't as bad as people make it out to be.

1. Bale
2. Keaton
3. West

Can't be sure about Affleck until I see him but I don't think he'll top Bale for me.

__________________

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)


Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #96
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective
 
Nave 'Torment''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Bat-Garage
Posts: 4,785
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I was thinking about the reasons why Batman and Robin is the worst of the 7 films to date, and identified 3 things:
1) The drastic and dramatic tonal shift
2) Arnold's over-acting
3) Clooney being ill-suited to the tone of the script

Clooney is such a different type of actor from Keaton and Kilmer that it would've been jarring going from them to him either way, but having a script that was tonally similar to their films, coupled with Clooney's acting skills, would've probably been enough to offset things.
Batman & Robin is terrible because it didn't get the camp right. Had it embraced the 60s show more and gave us something like Brave & Bold, it would've easily been one of the zaniest and enjoyable Batman films to date.

__________________

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)


Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:49 AM   #97
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective
 
Nave 'Torment''s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Bat-Garage
Posts: 4,785
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
To be fair to Keaton, most of the issues that I have with him aren't really his fault, the script and writing let him down big time. He COULD have played a good Bruce Wayne, I don't doubt that, but wasn't given the chance,
He played a great Bruce Wayne, sure it was different from the comics but the hermit and mysterious Mr. Wayne in Bats '89 to the slightly-bumbling but corporate Wayne in Returns is still good by me.

It's a much more generalized Bruce than the one we got to see with Kilmer and Bale. And for a Batman movie of that time the script worked.

__________________

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)


Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #98
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I dislike Batman Forever because it didnt' know what it was. It was tonally a very jarring movie. 50% excellent and 50% Batman and Robin. This is why I appreciate the latter more, even though it was soulless in the sense Joel was on auto pilot (to his own admittance, and it shows). Unlike BF, which is pretty Joel-ish, he really loved doing it (still does).

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #99
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,060
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I think Affleck's Batman will be the most cunning and wily, using his intelligence and wits to beat or at least stand up to Superman. Even if he is more physically intimidating and taller, against a Kryptonian he would stand no chance naturally. So he'll have to use other means to even out the fight.
Egg-zactly. Just as Craig Bond was doubted and laughed at initially, and became the hardest hitting and grittiest. Affleck Batman will go toe-to-to with Superman, therefore make him one deadly individual to be reckoned with. There's no worries there.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #100
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,951
Default Re: How will Ben Affleck stack up against the other Batmen?

I think it's going to stack a lot in Affleck's favour that he gets to come in and be the scene-stealing badass here, rather than the straight man having to carry the film. It's not the most direct comparison, but think of how much more popular Mark Ruffalo's Hulk is compared to Eric Bana or Ed Norton.

__________________
Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.