The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #376
Green Goblin
The Nostalga Strikes Back

Default Re: Marvels biggest slap in the face!!!

I thought Venom was done poorly

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
There has been an awakening, have you felt it?
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #377
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Where is all this information on the Mandarin buildup coming from? Because everything I've ever heard from Favreau the past few years is that he didn't want to do the Mandarin at all, because he thought the character delved too far into the mystical for the tone of the films he was making and that he only included the Ten Rings references as a nod to the fans.

Can we get some sources on this, because I'd love to read them if Favreau has said otherwise more recently.
That's not what Favreau said. He said that the Mandarin of the comics would be difficult to do because of the it would be hard to fit it in the tone of the Iron Man films (and also due to the stereotypical factor). However, he never said he didn't plan on doing him. Quite the opposite. He also said that his Mandarin would be different from comic book Mandarin, which is why we've been saying for months that we were disappointed because we didn't get the Mandarin promised in the trailers and in the previous films, not because we didn't get comic book Mandarin.

Evidence of Favreau saying he wants the Mandarin (after filming Iron Man 2):
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/05/07...an-3-mandarin/
http://collider.com/iron-man-3-jon-favreau-mandarin/
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/163...rd-movie.jhtml

Evidence of Favreau saying he has plans for the Mandarin (back when Iron Man 1 came out in '08):
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/12...bottle-likely/

Evidence of Favreau originally planning to have the Mandarin in IM1:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=16292
(Iron Monger was set to appear later with the Mandarin in IM1 instead, but the final draft switched them).

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #378
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
So, a bunch of failures to launch, ideas that never went past the concept stage, and brainstorms that got crumpled up and tossed into File 13 constitute "foreshadowing and setups" now? Okay. None of that BTS stuff ever made it to the actual movies, so no one in the audience can reasonably say that it was being "promised" to them.

By your reasoning, I can take any number of scrapped IM movie ideas and say they were "promised" to us and were "foreshadowed," including failed plans to use Crimson Dynamo and Ghost.
They were not scraped ideas at all, the only one which can be considered a failure is the Leader, but even he was put on hold and can appear anytime in any show or movie. The Infnity Gauntlet is reserved for Thanos, no need to do that before, Justin Hammer's final threat may seem like an idea that was scraped, but with him there is also the discussion that he may be featured in Agents of SHIELD.

And the Human-Torch was just an easter egg for fans, i never got the impression it was going to lead somewhere at all, the same with the Luke Cage easter egg, since Iron Man Marvel has been putting those in their movies for fans to spot and the universe to seem closer to the comics. Favreu himself had said he thought it was important to put things for the fans in the movie, which is how the Nick Fury post-Credits scene and the plane with the code name whiplash came from.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #379
T"Challa
Side-Kick

God this is a depressing thread..

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #380
CyclopsWasRight
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Time to lock her up?

CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #381
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Thanks Shikamaru.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #382
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Time to lock her up?
huh? I need context

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #383
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
God this is a depressing thread..
Slaps in the face make everyone sad.

Quote:
Thanks Shikamaru.
You're welcome.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #384
flower
Banned User

here is something to cheer you all up

flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #385
Loki882
Side-Kick

Here's the thing, they could have actually played thefilm Mandarin straight. The backstory that they mentioned prior to the films release (a Col. Kurtz figure who went crazy and became obsessed with the Art of War) would have worked great and made for a fascinating and terrifying villain. Also, emo Peter dancing, what were you smoking that day Raimi?

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #386
Chris B
Side-Kick

A fun fact, but back in the early drafts of IM1, the Mandarin and the Crimson Dynamo were going to be the same character. Favreau was planning on presenting the Mandarin as being basically being the Chinese equivalent of Tony Stark. But instead of the rings he's would've had the CD armor.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #387
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
A fun fact, but back in the early drafts of IM1, the Mandarin and the Crimson Dynamo were going to be the same character. Favreau was planning on presenting the Mandarin as being basically being the Chinese equivalent of Tony Stark. But instead of the rings he's would've had the CD armor.
That actually sounds like a good idea.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #388
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Here's the thing, they could have actually played thefilm Mandarin straight. The backstory that they mentioned prior to the films release (a Col. Kurtz figure who went crazy and became obsessed with the Art of War) would have worked great and made for a fascinating and terrifying villain. Also, emo Peter dancing, what were you smoking that day Raimi?
They could have even tied it in to the first movie as a retaliation effect.
From the first group of guys he toasted in the middle east.Since he looked to be from there.(Even though he is supposed to be Chinese.)
Just like the plot in Taken 2.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #389
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Nah, gave us some of the best Marvel movies and led to the Marvel CBM genre becoming what it is today
Yeah but I think his point was that they were interminable deals.
They didnt have to be interminable.Thats like signing them away.
Pretty much.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #390
Loki882
Side-Kick

The Mandarin could have been the leader of the Ten Rings, with Raza as his lieutenant. He could have even been behind Vanko's rampage as well. That way, he'd have been messing with Tony's life from day one.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #391
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Wasp is a bit more debatable, but Hank Pym is without a doubt the most important Avengers member after the Big Three (Cap, Iron Man, Thor). He's been with the team since the very beginning, has been on the team throughout most of its comic run, has built most of their gadgets, is connected to Ultron, has a very interesting dynamic with the rest of the team due to his pacifist views (at least in the older comics), is connected to Ultron, is one of the most committed Avengers even though you would expect him not to be, etc.
That is debatable as well.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #392
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yeah, I'd put Carol, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, and several others before Pym.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:57 AM   #393
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Yeah, I'd put Carol, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther, and several others before Pym.
I'd say Pym and Wasp are just as important considering their history with the Avengers. While I like BP, SW, and Carol more I can't deny the importance of Wasp and Ant-Man being founding Avengers.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #394
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
That is debatable as well.
I'd like to hear an argument as to why that isn't true. He's been with the Avengers since their inception and throughout most of their run in the comics. He's done for the team about as much as the Big Three have. He is a brilliant scientist and has one of the most brilliant minds in the Marvel universe that has helped the team as much as Stark's tech mind did and Cap's leadership skills did. He's there whenever Marvel creates hype for their Avengers books by bringing back "the main team" (main team =/= original team, since Cap is always included in the "main team". He is connected to Ultron, one of the team's greatest foes. If you ask your average comic book fan to name 5 important Avengers members off the top of their heads, Hank Pym is bound to be brought up a lot.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 09-14-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #395
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

double post

Last edited by Shikamaru; 09-14-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #396
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Being a founding member means nothing to me. Angel was a founding member of the X-Men but that doesn't stop Wolverine, Storm, Kitty, etc. from being more important than he is.

Last edited by Kahran Ramsus; 09-14-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #397
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Yep. I'd say that Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, Carol Danvers in her various incarnations? All much more important than Pym. For that matter, I'd say Wasp is more important than Pym.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #398
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Being a founding member means nothing to me. Angel was a founding member of the X-Men but that doesn't stop Wolverine, Storm, Kitty, etc. from being more important than he is.
Pym being a founding member is just the tip of the iceberg as to why he's one of the most important Avengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Yep. I'd say that Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Vision, Carol Danvers in her various incarnations? All much more important than Pym. For that matter, I'd say Wasp is more important than Pym.
Pym is to the Avengers what Flash and GL are to the Justice League (same goes for Wasp) whereas everyone else you brought up it to the team what Aquaman and Martian Manhunter are to the Justice League. Still very important, but not as important IMO.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #399
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Difference being that Angel didn't stay with the group forever, and became an intermittent appearance at best. Hank Pym, in one costume or other, wasn't just a founder, he has ALWAYS been a member of the Avengers (although a substantial portion of that career was as a Westie; still, that's a full-fledged Avenger).

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Wanda, yes. *Major* Avenger. Quicksilver, less so (he spent less time with the team than Wanda did). Vision, major. Carol Danvers? Not so much. In this century, the writers and video games have tried to beef up her role to become essentially a Wonder Woman for the team, but before the 2000s, she wasn't a major player in the Avengers at all. In fact, she got booted early on for her boozing (the height of hypocrisy, coming from Tony Stark).

The closest thing to a "regular" core for the team would be Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hawkeye, Giant-Man, Wasp, Vision, Scarlet Witch, and Wonder Man. That is your *classic* Avenger lineup, through 2005. Everybody else is pulling second-string or lower.

And that's not just *my* "imho."

http://forums.comicbookresources.com.../t-351786.html

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #400
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

^ Funny that Hank Pym is listed every single time in there.