The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 11-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #601
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Default Re: Marvels biggest slap in the face!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
The Mandarin twist. I finally thought to myself, "Oh my God. Marvel may have actually made a compelling villain!" Only for Marvel to say, "SIKE! Enjoy the generic, hamfisted Volcano Man instead!"

Killian was awful. Nothing else needs to be said.
This.

Killian was your typical generic villain. looked like a villain from old Bond movies.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #602
BrollySupersj
Talent for disruption

The entire first Ghost Rider movie was a big slap to me, though not at first. I steadily liked it less and less the more I saw it and talked about it.

But, above all, the Mandarin twist really put me off. I really liked the aesthetic they took with him, and then...well, you know.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:52 AM   #603
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
This.

Killian was your typical generic villain. looked like a villain from old Bond movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
The entire first Ghost Rider movie was a big slap to me, though not at first. I steadily liked it less and less the more I saw it and talked about it.

But, above all, the Mandarin twist really put me off. I really liked the aesthetic they took with him, and then...well, you know.
It was stupid...Period.Its like Marvel shoots themselves in the foot.
they ruin there original ideas for generic ones.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #604
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
The Mandarin. Easily.

Not because I love the character or whatever, no, I hate what they did because basically all of Iron Man 3's excellent trailers, posters and tv spots sold us a completely different movie from the one we ended up getting.
About a whole year's worth of spin sold this movie as an epic battle between Hero and Nemesis in which Stark finally suffers defeat and had to fight his way back from destruction. Kingsley's Mandarin looked and sounded friggin' ferocious too... THIS was gonna be good!
...yeeeeeaaah.

Now, studios overhype their films all the time. No surprise there. But what Marvel did went way beyond that... they outright lied about what the film was.

And even then -even then!- I could have forgiven that, all of it... if what the film was actually about wasn't so friggin' boring...

Eh, rant over.
I could have written this post. Took the words right out of my mouth. Well done, sir. *tips hat*

giveyourself12% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #605
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmarrs View Post
It was stupid...Period.Its like Marvel shoots themselves in the foot.
they ruin there original ideas for generic ones.
I'm not really a fan of the Mandarin twist either, but to say that Marvel "shot itself in the foot" is not really accurate. IM 3 was a HUGE success in pretty much everyway that matters in the movie business. It got good reviews, the GA (who ultimately determine whether these movies succeed or not) by and large loved it, it made a huge amount of money, and there were quite a few comic book fans who liked it.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:33 PM   #606
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

Ghost Rider, deadpool, galactus, and Cyclops.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #607
Juicy J
Side-Kick

I'm baffled as to how people are still so butthurt over the mandarin twist in IM3.
You didn't like it? That's perfectly fine, but don't make ridiculous claims that Marvel "lied" about anything.
IM3 was a critical and commercial success... Only a small but vocal minority disliked it.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #608
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I'm baffled as to how people are still so butthurt over the mandarin twist in IM3.
You didn't like it? That's perfectly fine, but don't make ridiculous claims that Marvel "lied" about anything.
IM3 was a critical and commercial success... Only a small but vocal minority disliked it.
Why do you think being "butthurt" over the Mandarin twist and not liking the movie go hand-in-hand? I liked Iron Man 3. I thought it was a solid good film despite my dislike for the twist. Thus your defense for the twist essentially being "it was a good movie" is entirely futile and irrelevant to me (I can't speak for everyone else).

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #609
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:

BLACK:

Quote:
He studies Sun Tzu. He studies insurgency tactics. He surrounds himself with dragons and symbols of warlords and Chinese iconography because he wants to represent this sort of prototypical terrorist. We use as the example Colonel Kurtz from "Apocalypse Now," this guys who may have been an American, may have been a British National, someone who is out there doing field work, supervising atrocities for the intelligence community who went nuts in the field and became this sort of devotee of war tactics, and now has surrounded himself with a group of people over which he presides, and the only thing that unifies them is this hatred of America. So he’s the ultimate terrorist, but he’s also savvy. He’s been in the intelligence world. He knows how to use the media.
Quote:
IM3 was a critical and commercial success...
Justin Bieber was nominated for a Grammy and lots of tweenage girls looooooove him, but would you consider him musically talented enough as either a performer or a songwriter to be seen as distinguished enough in the field of music to be honored with just about the highest award a musician can receive?

As I've said before, I firmly believe that Iron Man 3 was such a huge success because it was the first movie after the Avengers as well as being Iron Man with RDJ as well as having amazing trailers that deceived as to what the movie was.

It was the Nightmare On Elm Street 3/4 effect. Part 4 was the biggest theatrical success of the franchise because part 3 was so good. Actually sitting through part 4 is a chore.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #610
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Why do you think being "butthurt" over the Mandarin twist and not liking the movie go hand-in-hand? I liked Iron Man 3. I thought it was a solid good film despite my dislike for the twist. Thus your defense for the twist essentially being "it was a good movie" is entirely futile and irrelevant to me (I can't speak for everyone else).
I don't recall saying that disliking the twist and disliking the movie went hand-in-hand, although from what I've gathered here and elsewhere that is the general consensus among the detractors of this film.
Me saying it was a good movie, both a critical and commercial success, was my way of pointing out that calling IM3 Marvel's 'biggest slap in the face' is quite an exaggeration, because only people here seem to have the biggest problem with it. Critics approved of it, and it made enough money to show that the general audience wholeheartedly agreed. That's my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giveyourself12% View Post
BLACK:

Dude... it's called a twist. Not a lie.
Black and the other people involved in the making of this film aren't going to let the cat out of the bag during interviews before it even comes out. They're going to play along with the promotion and trailers and everything so that people are genuinely surprised when they see it in theaters.
If you honestly take that personally and feel that you were "lied" to by a film studio that's your prerogative.
Quote:
Justin Bieber was nominated for a Grammy and lots of tweenage girls looooooove him, but would you consider him musically talented enough as either a performer or a songwriter to be seen as distinguished enough in the field of music to be honored with just about the highest award a musician can receive?
Just because his music isn't for you doesn't mean he isn't talented. I don't listen to his music, but clearly a lot of people do and he has talent or else he wouldn't be where he is today. But whatever, this is all honestly besides the point.
Quote:
As I've said before, I firmly believe that Iron Man 3 was such a huge success because it was the first movie after the Avengers as well as being Iron Man with RDJ as well as having amazing trailers that deceived as to what the movie was.

It was the Nightmare On Elm Street 3/4 effect. Part 4 was the biggest theatrical success of the franchise because part 3 was so good. Actually sitting through part 4 is a chore.
Think what you want, man. Opinions are all objective, and you clearly didn't like IM3. But that doesn't mean other people hold the same views, so let's not chalk up IM3's undeniable critical and commercial success to the Avengers effect.
Yes that is present to an extent, it'd be dumb to deny that. But it wouldn't have done as well if it was a garbage movie... which as I've pointed out, most people don't think that. Only comic book fans were foaming at the mouth to see the Mandarin promised in the trailers.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #611
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't recall saying that disliking the twist and disliking the movie went hand-in-hand, although from what I've gathered here and elsewhere that is the general consensus among the detractors of this film.
Me saying it was a good movie, both a critical and commercial success, was my way of pointing out that calling IM3 Marvel's 'biggest slap in the face' is quite an exaggeration, because only people here seem to have the biggest problem with it. Critics approved of it, and it made enough money to show that the general audience wholeheartedly agreed. That's my point.
From what I've seen, it is the twist that is being regarded as the biggest slap in the face and not the film as a whole.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #612
OcStat
Side-Kick

Do you really think of all the boneheaded decisions we've put up with prior to IM3, the Mandarin is really the biggest "slap to the face"?

I mean come on, I get that there's a whole group of users here unsatisfied by it, but it isn't even close!

OcStat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #613
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
Do you really think of all the boneheaded decisions we've put up with prior to IM3, the Mandarin is really the biggest "slap to the face"?

I mean come on, I get that there's a whole group of users here unsatisfied by it, but it isn't even close!
I think the fact that Mandarin has been set up since IM1 is what makes it a lot worse. If you take that into account, he's been hyped up for longer than the Avengers.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #614
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
I love Iron Man 3, it's my favorite Iron Man film. I just didn't care about the Mandarin "twist", talk about false advertising. I thought Ben Kingsley was going to be one of the greatest comic book movie villains of all time. My disappoint was just so great it will take more than time to get over it. It is what it is I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I think the fact that Mandarin has been set up since IM1 is what makes it a lot worse. If you take that into account, he's been hyped up for longer than the Avengers.
Exactly, not to mention what the trailers advertised.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #615
Visualiza
What is a yout?

I don't think they're quite comparable in that respect. The buildup to Avengers was far more deliberate; we didn't even have an idea of what the Mandarin would look like until the trailers. It's a bit of a reach to say that the Mandarin disappointment is rooted in the buildup, as there was hardly any buildup to begin with. I still think that people are making a mountain out of a mole hill over all of this. I guess it's back to cliche, run-of-the-mill villains for Marvel. Based on what's been well received this year, that's what apparently satisfies the fans.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #616
Visualiza
What is a yout?

I don't get the 'false advertising' shtick. A twist isn't exactly something you should advertise; it defeats the purpose. Nobody saw it coming, and to that I say mission: accomplished. Seems as though the backlash stems from this stigma that surrounds humor as of late. If you take a look in the Captain America forum, there's two threads devoted to the topic alone. I wonder how people would have reacted if Kingsley's character was still a decoy, but malicious, indoctrinated sycophant as opposed to being a self-serving, cowardly lackey.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #617
Loki882
Side-Kick

I had a problem with the marketing, but it had nothing to do with the twist. I agree that it would have been incredibly stupid for the to hint at ANY twists, just like it would have been stupid to advertise the twist for the Sixth Sense. My problem with the advertising was that we were sold on the premise that this would be a darker and more serious film, with Tony facing his ultimate enemy and his world being destroyed. All of the advertising hinted at that. Instead, the second half of the movie was almost a comedy with constant jokes one right after the other in situations that should have been played more seriously. It killed any sort of tension or sense of threat. Also, we didn't get Tony's ultimate villain, we got a generic evil guy in a business suit. Freaking Whiplash was a better villain than Killain, at least Whiplash came across as being intimidating and had a somewhat interesting plan and motivation for the 1st half of IM 2.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:28 AM   #618
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
My problem with the advertising was that we were sold on the premise that this would be a darker and more serious film,
This again. Dark & serious = quality. Either way, you got darker, and a hell of a lot more serious. Neither of the previous two films dealt with the themes and subject matter anywhere near the level of depth that this movie did. Wounded veterans, PTSD, war profiteering, political insurrection, terrorist propaganda; the list goes on. Some of these were touched upon in the previous movies, but even IM1, for as good as it was, glossed over them in favor of a lighter tone. What more could you have asked for? It certainly covered darker subject matter than every other MCU film.

Quote:
with Tony facing his ultimate enemy and his world being destroyed. All of the advertising hinted at that.
Which is exactly what we got. Exactly, to the T. In his solo films, he's never faced such a dangerous enemy, and has never dealt with a greater challenge.

Quote:
Instead, the second half of the movie was almost a comedy with constant jokes one right after the other in situations that should have been played more seriously. It killed any sort of tension or sense of threat.
People keep saying this, and I have yet to see examples. Please explain, in detail, the constant jokes and why they were either poorly done, out of character, inappropriate to the situation, or "ruined the serious moments" as everyone likes to insinuate. Illustrate examples of scenes that were ruined by it, and how. Personally, I don't see it. All of the humor was either in character, appropriate, and not nearly as overbearing as people. The way you even describe it is pure hyperbole - "a comedy with constant jokes one right after the other". You make it sound like it was akin to Will Ferrell's trademark slapstick.

You dark & serious folk will surely despise GotG; I can't wait to see everyone's reactions after that movie drops.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #619
thejon93
Forever Haunted

The Mandarin twist and all of that slapstick humour from Kat Dennings in Thor: The Dark World, I felt like I was watching two different movies whenever she was on. How much was she paid to be in that movie anyway? I swear she's in it more than the action is.

thejon93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #620
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Only comic book fans were foaming at the mouth to see the Mandarin promised in the trailers.
I'll get to the rest of your points later but let me clarify that I am in no way, shape, or form an Iron Man comic fan. I was an exclusively X-men dude back in the day and couldn't get into Iron Man at all. Bored me to tears.

I am, however, or was, a huge RDJ-as-Iron-Man fan and all I knew about the Mandarin prior to IM3 was that he was a prominent villain in the Iron Man comic. So rest assured that my complaints about the film begin and end with the film itself. I have absolutely no axe to grind in any other area.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #621
sleepwalk
Side-Kick

Cyclops: Bad pilot. Worse tactician. Wears plaid pants. Listens to N-Sync. Sulks by a lake until Jean/Phoenix kills him because he couldn't anchor her like Wolverine.

Captain America: Part of it was Chris Evans actually doing his job as an actor but it did seem like Captain America was no more effective than Hawkeye or Black Widow. Except those two didn't seem out of breath at all while fighting the same guys. Commanded well, though: "NYPD, follow the standard protocol for natural disasters and terrorist attacks! Iron Man, continue being awesome while I get pinned down by a lone Hydra agent!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
I didn't even see the movie. When I saw the character on the damn LEGO video game, I was all "I am the biggest comic book nerd I know and I have no idea who this %@$*er is."

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejon93 View Post
The Mandarin twist and all of that slapstick humour from Kat Dennings in Thor: The Dark World, I felt like I was watching two different movies whenever she was on. How much was she paid to be in that movie anyway? I swear she's in it more than the action is.
****. Been meaning to get out and see this movie. Got a sitter lined up and everything. They're gonna try and milk (no pun intended) the "one girl from Two Broke Girls" for the non-existent laughs that show has? There are multiple "audience point of view" characters in that series. I liked her but do not give me "Punch-Line Girl: The Movie."

Old 12-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #622
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post

And which bone-headed decisions would those be? Marvel Studios has an extremely strong track record to that point.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #623
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalk View Post
Captain America: Part of it was Chris Evans actually doing his job as an actor but it did seem like Captain America was no more effective than Hawkeye or Black Widow. Except those two didn't seem out of breath at all while fighting the same guys. Commanded well, though: "NYPD, follow the standard protocol for natural disasters and terrorist attacks! Iron Man, continue being awesome while I get pinned down by a lone Hydra agent!
Hawkeye was a glorified spotter for most of the fighting, and Widow was looking ragged already before she took off to shut down the portal. Cap had to constantly fight waves of the Chitauri in melee, while getting blown off a second story window and shot in the gut by energy weapons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
And which bone-headed decisions would those be? Marvel Studios has an extremely strong track record to that point.
I think he meant the non-Marvel Studios Marvel atrocities.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #624
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Hawkeye was a glorified spotter for most of the fighting, and Widow was looking ragged already before she took off to shut down the portal. Cap had to constantly fight waves of the Chitauri in melee, while getting blown off a second story window and shot in the gut by energy weapons.

I think he meant the non-Marvel Studios Marvel atrocities.
I meant anything.However it has been more non Marvel atrocities.
However Marvel have been guilty themseves-Mandarine,the Iguanna Abobmination,The CG for the Chitauri,The CG for the Hulk in the Incredible Hulk,The polyseter looking Cap outfit for the Avengers,The non wearing helmet of Thor geesh at least once or twice,Anything that slaps our beloved characters in the face.However in the end its all a matter of opinion.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #625
OriginalMiles
#DaneTrain4eva

If people think not telling people about the twist is lying, then people must of been really pissed when Sixth Sense came out.

OriginalMiles is offline   Reply With Quote