The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #676
Shoppy
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvels biggest slap in the face!!!

For me the issue at the moment is Quicksilver...

...seems like a "pick a universe" issue to me.

:/

Shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #677
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppy View Post
For me the issue at the moment is Quicksilver...

...seems like a "pick a universe" issue to me.

:/
I see your point, but Fox is as much to blame as Marvel for that one. That's a contracting issue. As long as one of them does the character justice (I think Marvel will) it won't be so bad.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #678
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

I'm actually coming around to the Mandarin now. Yeah, it's still not what I wanted and and it could of been a hell of a lot better. However, I'm actually liking the movie for what they did, and Killian is actually a pretty decent Mandarin if you think about it. I'm happy we finally saw a superhuman fight Iron Man for once as opposed to it being another guy in a suit again.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #679
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

For me, I did not like, at all, the Mandarin twist in IM3. I also did not like the flying bits of armour and the "jumping into" the suit stuff.
Neither did I like the fact that Tony spent most of his time out of the suit and sometimes even when we thought he was in it, he wasn't.

I was thoroughly disappointed with the travesty that was IM3.

I thought we were going to get some sort of thriller/redemption story for Tony Stark.
Instead we get a half arsed, buddy cop comedy movie, that really just reminded me of the last 1 or 2 Lethal Weapon movies. Which is no good thing as far as I am concerned.

I expected more, and got severely let down.

Iron Man is one of my favourite Marvel characters and it stinks that we have had just the one great film for him as a solo character.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #680
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
I see your point, but Fox is as much to blame as Marvel for that one. That's a contracting issue. As long as one of them does the character justice (I think Marvel will) it won't be so bad.
My issue is I hope there is a way to tie them together at least in my mind.
Like in Avengers maybe make mention he is a Mutant don't just give him an altogether different origin.My problem is they seem the same age.
At least make one older.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #681
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Except for Hulk of course.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #682
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

WHY IS IT I DONT REMEMBER THIS TRAVESTY!!!

Old 02-28-2014, 10:15 AM   #683
Shoppy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmarrs View Post
WHY IS IT I DONT REMEMBER THIS TRAVESTY!!!
Because it's all from a fake trailer and there never was a 70's Iron Man ...... that is "Exo-Man" - google him

Shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #684
starscream22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmarrs View Post
With Marvel fans spanning the globe as well as decades I would like to know what they feel was the biggest slap in the face of their favorite characters brought to the screen on behalf of Movie Moguls.

For example:

Galalctus being a puff of smoke.

Dead Pool catastrophy

Electra"Nuff said"

Punisher "Nuff said"

Wolverine being 6'3

Venom Disaster

Ghost Rider"Nuff said"

Ghost Rider 2 "Nuff said"

Hulk 1

Hulk 2

Manderine disrespect from Iron man 3

Abomination Rendition from Hulk 2

Aborbing man Zax(Bruce banner's dad)from Hulk 1

Whiplash fiasco from Iron man 2

Etc.Etc.

Please give us your thought on the biggest slap and tell us why?
Is it fair to put it all on "Marvel"?

Most of these mockeries where may at other studios.

But if we're talking strictly MCU then it's "The Trevor".

With Fox there are too many to epic failures to just single out one. But if I had to then Black Human Johnny Storm would be the latest.

For Sony would it be the entire "Spirit of Vengeance" film.

Emo dancing Peter Park gets honorable mention though.

starscream22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #685
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

I think the Mandarin backpaddeling in AHTK felt like the hardest slap in my face.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:23 PM   #686
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetrogradeOrbit View Post
For me, I did not like, at all, the Mandarin twist in IM3. I also did not like the flying bits of armour and the "jumping into" the suit stuff.
Neither did I like the fact that Tony spent most of his time out of the suit and sometimes even when we thought he was in it, he wasn't.

I thought we were going to get some sort of thriller/redemption story for Tony Stark.
Instead we get a half arsed, buddy cop comedy movie, that really just reminded me of the last 1 or 2 Lethal Weapon movies. Which is no good thing as far as I am concerned.

Iron Man is one of my favourite Marvel characters and it stinks that we have had just the one great film for him as a solo character.

I completely agree. In fact the Mandarin was one of the least offensive and disappointing parts of the movie for me.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #687
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoppy View Post
Because it's all from a fake trailer and there never was a 70's Iron Man ...... that is "Exo-Man" - google him
Ohhhh thank goodness although I wouldnt put it past them.

Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #688
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream22 View Post
Is it fair to put it all on "Marvel"?

Most of these mockeries where may at other studios.

But if we're talking strictly MCU then it's "The Trevor".

With Fox there are too many to epic failures to just single out one. But if I had to then Black Human Johnny Storm would be the latest.

For Sony would it be the entire "Spirit of Vengeance" film.

Emo dancing Peter Park gets honorable mention though.
No its not in refreance to Marvel Studios its in refreance to the Marvel francise the Characters themselves.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #689
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:

Agree with every point about Iron Man 3. If I had a shot for every time Tony's armor fell apart, I'd be in the hospital!

I also hate the abnormal amounts of praise it got from critics for moving away from the superhero genre and being more of a "half arsed buddy cop movie" as put by RetrogradeOrbit.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #690
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Agree with every point about Iron Man 3. If I had a shot for every time Tony's armor fell apart, I'd be in the hospital!

I also hate the abnormal amounts of praise it got from critics for moving away from the superhero genre and being more of a "half arsed buddy cop movie" as put by RetrogradeOrbit.
I agree with you two. On everything.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 AM   #691
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Coulson's fake death.

Fake Mandarin twist that was made even worse in the short AHTK.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 AM   #692
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Coulson's fake death.
Yes. I have no words.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:37 AM   #693
xeno000
Raining hell from above

It's good that so many fanboys feel as if Marvel has slapped them in the face. It means that the studio is taking chances, making changes where needed and not feeling chained to the comic books. Otherwise, they would have ended up making slavish adaptations that lack originality instead of letting the film universe be its own thing.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:47 AM   #694
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
It's good that so many fanboys feel as if Marvel has slapped them in the face. It means that the studio is taking chances, making changes where needed and not feeling chained to the comic books. Otherwise, they would have ended up making slavish adaptations that lack originality instead of letting the film universe be its own thing.
I agree completely, but that doesn't mean I have to like what AHTK implied.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:54 AM   #695
C_Carmichael
Nerd Herder

I have a tie.

Iron Man 3 -and- Marvel's failure to retain their full character access

To start with Iron Man 3...

1. Extremis: They bring Extremis into the MCU, but fail to bring either Mallen or the Extremis Iron Man Armor enhancement into the film. Without Extremis, Iron Man is simply Iron Man. It is Extremis that bumps him up to The Invincible Iron Man, which considering the pending Ultron and Thanos threats, he's definitely going to need, yet you can't spend Avengers 2 or 3 delving into the Extremis Armor. Which now leads me to...

2. Mandarin: The Mandarin IS IRON MAN'S #1 FOE. Period. Yet, they take a classic, transform him into 1990's cliché nerd guy, and completely blow off the Mandarin we all came to know from decades of comic books. We got a puppetmaster tale, which relegates The Mandarin into complete irrelevancy within the MCU, regardless of the fact that since Marvel can't use Dr. Doom, Mandarin would have been the next best thing. Heck, I think its safe to say that Iron Man: Armored Adventures did a better job with Mandarin than IM3 did.

3. AIM: We kinda sorta get AIM, but it seems to be comprised of Killian and a handful of gun toting generic goons for hire. No Angry Beekeepers, No MODOK, No Scientist Supreme. Just name drop on the organization, and generic filler badguys.

So, with all this we got neither a true Mandarin portrayal, nor a true Extremis portrayal, and we didn't get classic AIM either.

Mega /facepalm

Now on to the failure to hold on to the character access...

The biggest possible event the Avengers could ever face is Galactus. This being the perfect setup for a major teamup from across the entire Marvel spectrum. Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes attempted to provide this, but because the show was getting the ax, it was rushed and could have been better.

Given the mega load of awesome that Avengers was, imagine just how completely epic it would have been to have a Galactus finale to the MCU Avengers, where in we see a teamup of:

The Avengers
Fantastic Four
X-Men
Guardians of the Galaxy
Heroes for Hire
Spider-man
War Machine
Agents of SHIELD
Lady Sif and the Warriors 3

But because Marvel has no access to F4, X-Men or Spider-man, much less Galactus, this can never be.

Imagine for a moment if Marvel could have pulled off a film like that. We're talking cinema EPIC. Epic in the realm of Gone with the Wind, Wizard of Oz, Casablanca, Forrest Gump...a film which people would have been talking about for DECADES to come.

But alas, it will never be.

So, those, in my opinion, are the two biggest Marvel movie slaps in the face.

C_Carmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #696
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I know Avengers is popular right now but I don't see why people seem to want every big marvel hero to become an Avenger and other big villains to face the Avengers rather than the heroes they are most associated with.

I've seen people campaigning for Avengers to feature an F4 or X-Men villain or have this or that character from another team on their roster instead.
Avengers is just one of many Marvel properties with its own set of characters, and the others are their own with their stories to be told and characters to be featured in their movies.

As for your team team-up idea, it sounds good but I personally couldn't see it working thematically, not with so many characters. It'd be awesome spectacle but couldn't compare to character & story driven movies like you mentioned.

Considering how people complain about DOFP and ASM2 being overcrowded as well as Batman vs Superman, a huge event movie like that with every big hero in the same movie would be thought of as D.O.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I have never ever seen praise for studios taking chances and not slavishly adapting the source

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 03-02-2014 at 08:08 AM.
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #697
Rike
Slim

Deadpool and Mandarin.

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #698
metaphysician
Side-Kick

*rolls eyes* Marvel not having its full character array is not a "slap in the face," as they *didn't have a choice in the matter*. It was "sell movie rights" or "go out of business, and lose those movie rights anyway".

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #699
The_Manhunter
Side-Kick

Now that the one-shot has made me feel a whole lot better concerning the Mandarin, I am giving my vote to Darcy. She's not even in the comics, yet she takes up so much screen time from the real Thor characters like Sif, Heimdall, etc.

The_Manhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:39 PM   #700
OriginalMiles
Mary had a little lamb

The only things I really hated were Baraka-Pool and The Sympathetic Sandman.

I look at these films from the perspective of the average moviegoer instead of Comic Book Fan, so most things don't bother me. If it's a good, entertaining film, with okay writing and a nice story, it's all good to me.

(Continues to repress Ghost Rider movies)

SHH20
OriginalMiles is offline   Reply With Quote