The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #176
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Default Re: Marvels biggest slap in the face!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
IRON MAN 3 HONEST TRAILER

They advertised Ben Kingsleys The Mandain as the villian in posters, TV spots, trailers.

Him not being the Mandarin was the twist, but they built him up, hammered into the previews and advertising that he will be the Mandarin, and he wasn't.

No other movie with a twist has ever put so much attention on the part (mandarin character) that will be the twist.

Thus they raised expectations and dashed them spectacularly.

If they hadn't hammered into audiences to expect this fearsome & heavily promoted villian the they wouldn't have been as shocked and annoyed as they were.

It's called a bait & switch. They baited audiences.

The Usual Suspects, Sixth Sense and others with twists didn't bait audiences to expect something that was not provided.
This demand for no surprises in a film eliminates a lot of films from the canon: Shutter Island, Secret Window, Identity, Planet of the Apes, Fight Club, The Wicker Man, Psycho, and Memento (among many others) are films that "baited" audiences through their trailers and deceived them with plot twists.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #177
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
This demand for no surprises in a film eliminates a lot of films from the canon: Shutter Island, Secret Window, Identity, Planet of the Apes, Fight Club, The Wicker Man, Psycho, and Memento (among many others) are films that "baited" audiences through their trailers and deceived them with plot twists.
I don't know where you're coming from, did anyone ever say they don't want surprises?

The twists in all those films made the movies better, they were "good" surprises.

No one is saying that there should be no plot twists, but not ones that turn an awesome looking movie into a crappy one with a stupid twist that de-escalates the excitement and interest of the film rather than the opposite.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #178
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
I don't know where you're coming from, did anyone ever say they don't want surprises?

The twists in all those films made the movies better, they were "good" surprises.

No one is saying that there should be no plot twists, but not ones that turn an awesome looking movie into a crappy one with a stupid twist that de-escalates the excitement and interest of the film rather than the opposite.
Except the Mandarin twist did not de-escalate anything, and the movie still ended up being a tightly scripted one. It was shocking in the moment but by the time the movie wraps, it makes complete sense.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #179
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Those films didn't bait the audience with false expectation. The twists were something that unravelled as part of the story, it didn't take away anything like IM3 did with the promised terrorist warlord villain heavily marketted in the advertising.

And especailly those movies didn't draw attention to the thing that would be the twist in the marketting. For instance they didn't name the planet that was the POTA, if they did that would've been taken away with the reveal lf it being Earth all along.

If the marketing for POTA heavily advertised the astronauts landing on Planet Gemini XIII a mysterious world where Apes are the dominant species, then when the reveal came of it being Earth people would've felt annoyed at being misled in the advertising.

As it was the trailers didn't mislead the prospective audience to expect something that was a lie. Iron Man 3 did.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 09-04-2013 at 12:17 AM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #180
T"Challa
Side-Kick

They marketed the Mandarin as the villain because that is exactly what they wanted you to think. Of course its a bait and switch. They were banking on the shock value of the reveal. If you're mad about how they handled it, well then too bad but the idea behind it makes sense and does send a message about how the western world views the face of evil. Its a rather genius plan by Killian to be honest.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
Old 09-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #181
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Still a bait and switch. People don't like being lied to. That's what the twist annoyance is about.

Years from now the mandarin and it's political commentary stuff might be accepted, but for now it's a case of people saying "don't lie to me and tell me something is going to be in the movie and not deliver"

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #182
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Still a bait and switch. People don't like being lied to. That's what the twist annoyance is about
These were trailers, they are snippets of the story put out to gain your interest. There was no 'lying' in the marketing. They just gave you an idea of part of the story. People thought they had figured out what the movie was going to be about and it took a completely different direction. Thats not a lie.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #183
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Thats a good point.

Perhap lying is the wrong word.

Deception would be more apt since the trailers, posters, tv spots decieved people into thinking The Mandarin was the villian by showing him alot more than Killian and selling his fake mandarin 'character' as the villain Tony will fight

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 09-04-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #184
batfreakforever
A real fan

The mandarin twist ****ing rocked. Loved it. Fans don't like to be wrong maybe that's why they hated the twist which **ssed them off. Lets face it they want to know every detail before a film comes out. They didn't see it coming (that why it's called a twist). ahh well I loved it and the general audience loved it which didn't effect the ww boxoffice. That begs the question "do the comic book fans matter or do you make a film that can be enjoyed by the general movie going public as well". Just because you read the comic book version of a character does'nt make your way right.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #185
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Honest Trailers really nailed it.Especially on the Mandarin.

We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #186
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Still a bait and switch. People don't like being lied to. That's what the twist annoyance is about.

Years from now the mandarin and it's political commentary stuff might be accepted, but for now it's a case of people saying "don't lie to me and tell me something is going to be in the movie and not deliver"
Over a billion dollars at the box office, plus good reviews overall, says that the Mandarin Twist and the political commentary et al is already accepted by *most.* The only people *****ing about it are you handful of vocal fanboys on these fansites still beating that dead horse to (re-)death; general audiences and Marvel Studios consider IM3 to be an overwhelming success. Proof is in the pudding.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #187
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Over a billion dollars at the box office, plus good reviews overall, says that the Mandarin Twist and the political commentary et al is already accepted by *most.* The only people *****ing about it are you handful of vocal fanboys on these fansites still beating that dead horse to (re-)death; general audiences and Marvel Studios consider IM3 to be an overwhelming success. Proof is in the pudding.
Iron Man 3 was an overwhelming success because it was leeching off the Avengers. I'm personally hoping they never do another Iron Man movie again. I mean they single-handedly created Jar-Jar Binks in human form, something I though would never ever happen and no self-respecting filmmaker would ever try to do. You'd think since Iron Man is practically Marvel's poster-boy now, they'd do good justice to ALL of the characters in Iron Man's world even the enemies.

Sure, people say it's racist blah blah blah, having an Asian terrorist as seen in the comic book, but if anything by making Guy Pierce "The Mandarin" that too is racist as he took a role traditionally given to an Asian. It's like when Justin Chatwin was Goku in Dragonball Evolution. There I did it, I just pointed out a similarity between one really bad movie to Iron Man 3.

Yes, Honest Trailers nailed everything bad about the movie!

Until Thor comes out I'm staying on Team DC.

smallville fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #188
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Wait wait wait.
Do people actually think the kid in Iron Man 3 was anywhere close to Jar Jar?

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #189
Lord
All Mighty

lol. political comentary with Killian and the Mandarin? The same type of political comentary everyone does in films nowadays, i don't think that will be memorable, what would be memorable is if somebody actually used a Terrorist from an Arabian country but actually made the viewer wonder about moralty, dealing with themes such as America monitoring the world, etc. Instead of the usual "political comentary" that even a child could come up with.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #190
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Wait wait wait.
Do people actually think the kid in Iron Man 3 was anywhere close to Jar Jar?
I was referring to Trevor, but the kid was pretty annoying to an extent too.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #191
T"Challa
Side-Kick

The hyperbole is strong around these parts..

Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #192
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Iron Man 3 was an overwhelming success because it was leeching off the Avengers. I'm personally hoping they never do another Iron Man movie again. I mean they single-handedly created Jar-Jar Binks in human form, something I though would never ever happen and no self-respecting filmmaker would ever try to do. You'd think since Iron Man is practically Marvel's poster-boy now, they'd do good justice to ALL of the characters in Iron Man's world even the enemies.

Yes, Honest Trailers nailed everything bad about the movie!

Until Thor comes out I'm staying on Team DC.
First of all, no movie does 1.2 billion "leeching" off another movie. This is another point that grinds my gears. Anyone who knows how the box office works knows that all the marketing, all effects from the previous movies mostly affects the opening weekend numbers, or the first couple of weeks at most. After that, the movie has to ride on its own merits. WOM kicks in, reviews come out and the only way a movie makes that amount of money is people/families going to see the movie over and over again. And to the best of my knowledge, people don't go back to watch movies they hate.

Honest trailers craps on every movie. Don't see the point there.

I'm sure the Marvel brass is wringing their hands because they've lost you to 'team DC'

Old 09-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #193
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
lol. political comentary with Killian and the Mandarin? The same type of political comentary everyone does in films nowadays, i don't think that will be memorable, what would be memorable is if somebody actually used a Terrorist from an Arabian country but actually made the viewer wonder about moralty, dealing with themes such as America monitoring the world, etc. Instead of the usual "political comentary" that even a child could come up with.
Is the 'bearded, flamboyant western-hating terrorist' any less generic or 'childish' than the idea that there might be bigger powers at play in terrorism than the bearded flamboyant western-hating terrorist?

Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #194
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Is the 'bearded, flamboyant western-hating terrorist' any less generic or 'childish' than the idea that there might be bigger powers at play in terrorism than the bearded flamboyant western-hating terrorist?
Or the terrorista can be inteligent, instead of being used, and him being a villain can be played on as a matter of perception. White man in a suit being the true man behind terrorismo has been done to death, real life is more than just a giant conspiracy.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #195
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
First of all, no movie does 1.2 billion "leeching" off another movie.
Iron Man 3 got the attention and money because people wanted to know what happens next from the movie everybody liked. It was riding the momentum. Might I say the film poorly followed on from being a follow up to "New York"

Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #196
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Iron Man 3 got the attention and money because people wanted to know what happens next from the movie everybody liked. It was riding the momentum. Might I say the film poorly followed on from being a follow up to "New York"
oooooooooor most just found it incredibly entertaining

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #197
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
You are making no sense here. This is the fifth highest grossing movie of all time. That money heavily comes from repeat business. This point cannot be argued. Read any article about big box office performances. It is literally impossible to make that kind of money solely off the back of a prequel.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #198
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
oooooooooor most just found it incredibly entertaining

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
or

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
--> I really like this review, summing up the waste of great A+ actors like Guy Pierce and Ben Kingsley. BTW I didn't want to go see Pepper Potts as the hero, I wanted to go see Iron Man as the hero. At least the general audiences/public seemed to like it.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #199
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Or the terrorista can be inteligent, instead of being used, and him being a villain can be played on as a matter of perception. White man in a suit being the true man behind terrorismo has been done to death, real life is more than just a giant conspiracy.
I won't argue with you there. There's nothing at all new or refreshing about hinting that the War on Terror is all smoke and mirrors. IM3 isn't the first movie to suggest that, by a long shot, nor will it be the last, by a long shot. It just baffles me that so many haters fail to see that that was the actual point, theme and message of IM3, and that "The Mandarin Twist" was absolutely necessary to illustrate that.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #200
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah. A billion dollars at the B.O. canNOt mean people just love action, comedy and Robert Downey Jr. It means, though, that they love that characters they don't even know or care for can be turned into a joke for a political "message."

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote