The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Misc. TV Series

Old 09-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #101
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Default Re: Beware the Batman - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face=Badass View Post
Great episode, but what they've done to Anarky is a travesty. Poor bloke never gets a good treatment. How hard is it to make an anti-hero who is ardently and violently anti-capitalist and anti-centrist, but has is own moral code?
I've given up on this version of Anarky as a good adaptation and just like to pretend that he's a pretentious **** with no actual knowledge of real anarchism. I would also love it if someone on the show subtly called him out on it.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Folds should get his own comic book?

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
GamerSlyRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #102
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
I've given up on this version of Anarky as a good adaptation and just like to pretend that he's a pretentious **** with no actual knowledge of real anarchism. I would also love it if someone on the show subtly called him out on it.
Anarky fans and Two-Face fans have a lot in common. They are both used to seeing writers unable to comprehend moral ambiguity and different moral codes. See Arkham City, or Anarky whenever he's not done by Alan Grant.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Two-Face=Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #103
X-Ray
Ippiki-ookami

That ending, woah!

That serum or whatever a possible set up for Bane?

Liked seeing the Gordon/Batman relationship growing.

1999-2012

Miss you little buddy

X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #104
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Anarky fans and Two-Face fans have a lot in common. They are both used to seeing writers unable to comprehend moral ambiguity and different moral codes. See Arkham City, or Anarky whenever he's not done by Alan Grant.
To be fair, I think Two-Face's record is twice as good as Anarky's.

But yeah, I'd love to see a Two-Face that isn't reduced to being a two-themed, silly mobster.

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #105
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Quote:
To be fair, I think Two-Face's record is twice as good as Anarky's.

But yeah, I'd love to see a Two-Face that isn't reduced to being a two-themed, silly mobster.
Two-Face: "Two Guns *****!"

Me: "Well, that turned sour quickly."

Still, I'm enjoying the show. My biggest issue is the use of Katana. She is a great character, but why not Cassie Cain? Hell, she pretty much is Cassie, only a little more eloquent. Poor Cass never gets any love.

Gotham also feels empty, beyond just the lack of any cars or people whatsoever. One of the triumphs of The Batman and BTAS was that there was always an awareness of the wider world - news anchors, returning socialites, ordinary people having conversation and getting into trouble, apartment renters, the whole shebang.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Old 09-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #106
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Still, I'm enjoying the show. My biggest issue is the use of Katana. She is a great character, but why not Cassie Cain? Hell, she pretty much is Cassie, only a little more eloquent. Poor Cass never gets any love..
She's too different to be Cass in terms of background story and characterization alone. If anything, Katana reminds me more of Sasha Bordeaux, who was Bruce's bodyguard for a while.

Though I do sympathize with wanting Cass Cain to show up again. I had a knee-jerk "Where's Cass?" reaction of my own when the show was first announced, so I do sympathize.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #107
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Quote:
She's too different to be Cass in terms of background story and characterization alone. If anything, Katana reminds me more of Sasha Bordeaux, who was Bruce's bodyguard for a while.

Though I do sympathize with wanting Cass Cain to show up again. I had a knee-jerk "Where's Cass?" reaction of my own when the show was first announced, so I do sympathize.
Well, Cass has the League background that was retconned in later and certainly became a big part of her character. She didn't have the CIA certainly, but she did share Katana's current arc of being mentored under another having come from an upbringing that was built upon the taking of lives over the saving of them.

Of course, there were multiple Casses. Non-speaking, mild speech, oddly eloquent, Beechen's travesty.

I did like Sasha too, too bad Bruce sort of just left her in that prison for a while. Then she became a robot...I think. I sort of left comics when Cass and Steph did, so I don't know if Sasha has popped up since then.

I just want a Cass and Steph series. Is that too much to ask?

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #108
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I liked this episode, but I agree with others... there were definitely some inconsistencies.

My main gripes revolved around Anarky using the league for his own personal plans. Surely there was an easier way to handle all that... and why go through all that trouble if only to return the package to Lady Shiva AFTER she failed?

I'm still not sold on Anarky yet... especially for a character the producers claim is the main antagonist of the series. His motives, his personality, his design and his voice could all be so much better.

A few other things that irked me:

- I don't normally nitpick about this kind of stuff... but Batman and Katana jumped off a huge building and literally floated to the ground without so much as a grunt. Seriously?
- Katana's sacrifice was made purely out of spite and not any kind of heroic honour.
- I think maybe Lady Shiva jumped the gun attacking Batman... her safety was no where guarunteed at that point.

Everything else was very enjoyable, especially alot of Batman's moments (''If you wanna see my true nature... keep talking!'') and everything with Gordon. Was that female character (Kilroy?) from the comics... cause she was a piece of work.

I think 3.5/5 this week.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:04 AM   #109
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

The League would have come after Anarky after his grandiose plan failed if he didn't return their um belongings to them. So he gave it back as a sort of peace offering.

I've no problem with unrealistic physics in this type of show but sometimes the physics in this show are kind of inconsistent.

Anarky was better this episode, but the League of Assassins as a group thus far have been the most featured antagonists of the series. Either a lot has to change and the League disappears or perhaps it was a misunderstanding that Anarky would get the most featured time.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #110
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
My main gripes revolved around Anarky using the league for his own personal plans. Surely there was an easier way to handle all that... and why go through all that trouble if only to return the package to Lady Shiva AFTER she failed?
He did say by the end that his plans are still in motion. Maybe he did something to the corpse? Or antagonizing the League will lead towards a greater goal? Too early to tell.

Quote:
I'm still not sold on Anarky yet... especially for a character the producers claim is the main antagonist of the series. His motives, his personality, his design and his voice could all be so much better.
What were you expecting for him anyway? Not nit-picking, just curious.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #111
Drz
Real Hero

Could Anarky be ex-LoS? How else does he have these skills and information?

I also like how Bram Stocker they went with Ras' transportation, but for how long has Ras' been dead? When do they decide he is to be resurrected? When they need his guidance?

Old 09-30-2013, 02:53 AM   #112
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

Finally caught up and watched the last three episodes. Gotta say i am diggin this series. The fights are getting smoother and cooler with each episode. The story is actually pretty darn good. Loving how Gordon and Batman's relationship is evolving. The design of Batman, just the cowl/ears is really the only thing that irks me at times. But i gotta say there are shots that just look epic in this show. They really are stepping up w/ this cgi i'd say.

Speaking on the latest episode, i actually really liked it. The scene with the exploding cars in the parking lot reminded me of Law Abiding Citizen if any of you have watched that, i like that they can take Anarky that far. Shiva wanting to stab one of her ninjas was epic, and unexpected, didn't work out but cool nonetheless. End scene w/ Ra's was awesome, im really looking forward to the rest of this season and seeing where this story goes. It's really looking good thus far.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #113
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
Could Anarky be ex-LoS? How else does he have these skills and information?
Interesting theory, we've yet to see enough of him fighting to be sure bit it's plausible.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:58 AM   #114
Drz
Real Hero

October episodes!
Quote:
Beware The Batman
Saturday, October 5th, 2013 at 10:00am (ET/PT)
“Instinct” – Pyg and Toad are back! This time, targeting victims in the fashion industry, culminating in a showdown with Batman and Katana on a yacht filled with the glitterati.

Beware The Batman
Saturday, October 26th, 2013 at 10:00am (ET/PT)
“Attraction” – Magpie returns… and is determined to take out Batman’s new partner Katana at any cost.
Shiny Shiny.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #115
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Hooray more Magpie!

I hope there's more to these episodes than it seems, though. They almost sound like filler after the latest one.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #116
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

The Magpie episode comes out day after Arkham Origins release date. Coincidence I think not.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #117
Drz
Real Hero

Preview to Saturday's Batman episode!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Awesome combat sequences and Batman character development, what's more to ask?

Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #118
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Anyone catch this week's episode?

Old 10-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #119
X-Ray
Ippiki-ookami

I liked the whole "observation" training he was teaching her. You know that waiter doesn't have a job anymore. lol But he was cutting it close when it became "on the job training." That designer almost bit it because of it.

I forgot that scientist guy has a ghost in the machine dilemma going. It explained his dickish behavior today. Now he's a member of the League.

I think that was Bat's first capture of the series? I assume they were captured this time off screen.

1999-2012

Miss you little buddy

Last edited by X-Ray; 10-06-2013 at 11:02 AM.
X-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #120
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

If you want to be technical it wasn't. He's got small time crooks before, and he got Magpie in episode 2.

Overall it wasn't a bad episode.

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
BlackMagicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #121
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Not really a fan of Anarky's design in this show. They made him look like The Spectre.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #122
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I was confused by the ending since I assumed Cypher somehow still had control of Jason. But, I guess it's just that a little part of him is in Jason. That's why Shiva says welcome to him.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #123
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

Yeah, Cypher's victims always come off as a bit "off" when they're not plugged to him.

I guess Jason will eventually have to fight off the mind control in the mid-season finale or something.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #124
Drz
Real Hero

Good episode, i think they missed an opportunity to have the Dolltrons introduced, if they ever plan to have Professor Pyg mind control his enemies, perhaps they thought he would be too similiar to Cypher.

Udo Kier is awesome as usual, i like the take they have on Morrison's villains, it's something they could always add to the comic counterpart, now that the Black Glove, Leviathan are all gone.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #125
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I really liked the structure of this ep and the teamwork and banter between Batman and Katana. This type of story usually has to have the first couple of victims die before the killer is caught, but I get why that obviously isn't feasible on a morning cartoon.

Professor Pyg is fairly sinister but I don't care for the voice actor and the Toad is goofy and out of place with the rest of the show.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote