The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 10-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 10-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
You can read Film Critic Hulk's original review of TFA where he discusses some of the problems with that scene, including the fact that understanding it requires in depth knowledge of the expanded universe mythology.
No you don't. I didn't read any of the books leading up to TFA, and I knew exactly what it meant. I watched the movie.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Ivan Drago
Do Not Want

The destruction in Man of Steel just gets boring.

2017 superhero movie ratings

1. Logan: 9.5/10
2. Guardians of the Galaxy 2: 6.5/10
3. Wonder Woman: 6.5/10
4. Spider-Man Homecoming: 8.5/10
Old 10-29-2017, 06:36 PM   #5
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

What was up with Lois Lane narrating two scenes in the first act, and then stopping? It was like the movie decided Lois should be the audience surrogate now. But then changing its mind. So bizzarre.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
The destruction in Man of Steel just gets boring.
I agree.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
No you don't. I didn't read any of the books leading up to TFA, and I knew exactly what it meant. I watched the movie.
It may be that a very minute fraction of people were able to properly ingest and follow developments. Even in that case, the point remains, unscathed.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
Iceman
Infinity War!

From previous thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho
Oh, I'm not talking about the actors. I'm just talking about the character. Cavill's been greatly wasted in the role. So very disappointing to see. But if you look at Berry and Reynolds, it's not like they don't have the skill to play a good version of their respective characters. Their characters and films just happened to suck more or on different levels.

Still, Cavill's Superman sucks and is the perfect example of a lame version Superman to me. Only positive he has is that he has modern film technology to sell how powerful the character can be. But, even Smallville was able to achieve that. Beyond that, Superman is in a tighter spot to stick out since we now have access to many other characters on film and WB didn't allow him to really shine.
Like you say those versions of the characters played by good actors are unrecoverable (also Mickey Rourke as Whiplash!) while I don't put Supes in that ballpark, more middle of the road (which is still disappointing). I can understand you being very disappointed and thinking he's been done terribly so far as some other fans also feel like that, just a difference of opinion on the extent of it mate. Hopefullly Shazam turns out great and Superman recovers to a level where we're both totally happy.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Champion
It wasn't gratuitous, it was a studio response to the fan criticism of Superman Returns: "SR is a bad movie because Superman didn't punch anything" :-)

More seriously, Snyder also said that he wanted Superman's arrival to be a "mythological event" in universe. We know from human history that traumatic events leave a bigger imprint of the imagination: everybody of our generation knows where they were on 9/11, and our parents knew where they were when they first heard that Kennedy died. That has to be shared with the viewers, and I for one did feel horror when watching the destruction of Metropolis, which was the point.

Unfortunately, he did not properly follow up on that in BvS.
I like that reading of it but they really undelivered. We see people afterwards and it feels like any other weekday. I remember 9/11 and that wasn't it.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Does anybody know what Batgirl was not included in that list of five definitely upcoming DC movies?

I thought that this was the deal that Whedon got? He fixes JL, they let him make BatGirl.

Which is clearly a better deal for WB than it is for Whedon.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:49 PM   #11
Perfect Cell
Bio-Android Emoji

Quote:
It may be that a very minute fraction of people were able to properly ingest and follow developments. Even in that case, the point remains, unscathed.
I'm not really a huge Star Wars guy, but even I picked up on the fact that the destruction of the system involved the destruction of the Republic senate, and their fleet. I picked up on that because the General said as much during his very loud and pronounced speech, which happened mere moments before the weapon was fired. He literally screamed "THIS IS THE DAY THE REPUBLIC DIES".

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Old 10-29-2017, 07:03 PM   #12
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Does anybody know what Batgirl was not included in that list of five definitely upcoming DC movies?

I thought that this was the deal that Whedon got? He fixes JL, they let him make BatGirl.

Which is clearly a better deal for WB than it is for Whedon.
Perhaps the stories coming from Whedon's wife have made both him and WB unanimously decide to hold off on that project for a while, for fear of backlash.

If you seek Dude's monument, look around you.

Quote:
How is it that you, a diabolical sick ****, is so goddamn sexy?
Old 10-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roose Bolton View Post
Perhaps the stories coming from Whedon's wife have made both him and WB unanimously decide to hold off on that project for a while, for fear of backlash.
I mean the Whedon thing isn't that bad. It's not like people would protest a movie because he was involved. It's not like it's a sexual assault/harassment story

He's a douchebag guy hat cheated on his spouse, but I dont think many will turn their head

Old 10-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #14
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I don't think it's that bad either, and I'm sure there are plenty of people within the industry who have done the same. But with the current climate I wouldn't be surprised if they're gun shy about any potential backlash. Especially given the fact that it's a film with a particular female protagonist with a controversial history of her own, coupled with Whedon's standing with the feminist community.

If you seek Dude's monument, look around you.

Quote:
How is it that you, a diabolical sick ****, is so goddamn sexy?

Last edited by Roose Bolton; 10-29-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
Blackman
C'mon Son

I mean they still have Affleck on the press tour so I don't think they're that gunshy

Old 10-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #16
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Marvel is now marketing Ragnarok as the best reviewed Marvel movie of all time.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/924641945183498240

Old 10-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #17
Chip Chipperson
Thanos 3:16

it'll probably go down once the film is released in the states I assume, yes?

because thats usually how that goes

Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
writer0327
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Marko View Post

Thor is going to wipe the box office floor this weekend. Everything I see, read, and hear about this film screams huge OW.

1. Star Wars: The Last Jedi - 2. Spider-Man: Homecoming - 3. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - 4. Justice League - 5. Thor: Ragnarok
6. Wonder Woman - 7. Blade Runner: 2049 - 8. Logan - 9. The Great Wall - 10. It
Old 10-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #19
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Someone tagged Marvel and Taiki Waititi in a tweet saying this:

Quote:
@MarvelStudios @TaikaWaititi We want more Winter Soldier and less #GoTG or #ThorRagnarok Don't say they bad but a rest from comedy is needed
And Taiki responded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by @TaikaWaititi
Agreed. The world is too hilarious right now. There too much laughter in real life for a movie to be "fun". Down with happiness!
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chipperson View Post
it'll probably go down once the film is released in the states I assume, yes?

because thats usually how that goes
It tends to go down but this might be the real deal.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 10-29-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:01 PM   #20
Timebomb
Side-Kick

So Disney has already lifted the review embargo for Coco which comes out the week after JL. That is a an extremely early release that speaks volumes. That will be huge competition for JL for its second weekend

Old 10-29-2017, 09:04 PM   #21
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:

When in fact it's not.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #22
Flint Marko
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
When in fact it's not.
It is at the moment and the reviews have, thus far, been overwhelmingly positive. I don't see the RT score dropping all that much.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:15 PM   #23
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

Quote:
It is at the moment and the reviews have, thus far, been overwhelmingly positive. I don't see the RT score dropping all that much.
It's only tomatometer. And it's far from final. By this argument it's the best reviewed CBM of all time.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #24
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
From previous thread:

Like you say those versions of the characters played by good actors are unrecoverable (also Mickey Rourke as Whiplash!) while I don't put Supes in that ballpark, more middle of the road (which is still disappointing). I can understand you being very disappointed and thinking he's been done terribly so far as some other fans also feel like that, just a difference of opinion on the extent of it mate. Hopefullly Shazam turns out great and Superman recovers to a level where we're both totally happy.
Yeah, as far as Superman goes, good luck to whoever wants to continue with this version and all the damage done by Snyder and co. But, I'm waiting for the reboot and hope it's better than this DCEU (but not really DCEU ) version.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 10-29-2017, 11:38 PM   #25
2kt09
Here 'N' There

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
Nope... Most of those heroes were public knowledge by the time The Avengers rolled out. Its only the group itself that was new. One of the cut scenes has a lovely moment of that diner in NY where the waitress states people come there and hang around just to catch a glimpse of Iron Man flying away.
You guys can fact check, right?

Whedon-----Guggenheim_____Kinberg
Gunn________Goyer
Reed________Snyder
Closed Thread