Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #276
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
However, if Superman Returns had relaunched the franchise the way that Warner Bros hoped, they would have quickly signed Singer for a Superman sequel and he would never have returned to Fox to do his X3.
Yes, he would have done because he was contracted to it and they'd already planned the storylines. They'd even done storyboards of scenes.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #277
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Writers decided to kill him off because of Superman.

So if Singer wouldnt have signed him, James would have been present during the whole movie, and even in the final battle.

Of course he wouldnt be the lead actor, but he would have had a pivotal role and more scenes, thats for sure.
Wasn't it the case that Rothman/Fox already wanted Cyclops to have died offscreen between X2 and X3, and be absent altogether?

Then when Marsden went to SR, they decided he would definitely be killed off.

I believe the writers reached a compromise and tried to give him some meaningful scenes before he was obliterated.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #278
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDOFPx View Post
Yes, he would have done because he was contracted to it and they'd already planned the storylines. They'd even done storyboards of scenes.
He was never contracted to X3. That's why he was able to move on to Superman.

If he and Fox had signed a deal, then he would have done X3.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #279
Angamb
Banned User

That may be the case regarding Tom, but all of that was a consequence of James being signed by Warner.

I guess the producers and Tom didnt want more agenda problems and thought leaving him out would be the easiest option.

But if Singer wouldnt have signed him, no way Fox and the director would have leave him out. Either with any of the other x-men. They wanted the biggest x-men movie of the franchise, and they probably wanted as many x-men as possible, to sell all the characters to the fanbase and general audience.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #280
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I think Fox and Singer were out to spite each other, singer took marsden and tried to get other cast members to work on Superman returns so Fox would have a problem and Fox pretty much said skrew you if you think that will effect us in any way

its possible Singer thought he could have his cake and eat it by forcing Fox to have to wait so he could come back

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 09-08-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #281
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
I don't believe Singer was contracted at that point for X3. He along with the rest of the principal X1 and X2 cast, (Jackman, Berry, Stewart, Janssen, Paquin, Mckellen, Romijn and Marsden) were not signed for X3. I believe Fox took their sweet time in signing Singer which was the reason he was courted by Warners to do Superman in the first place. Of course Singer offered to do both, Superman first and the X3 after.

If SR had been really successful they would have signed singer for more movies without a doubt. He would not have been able to do both X3 and Superman. Fox should have just signed him earlier.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #282
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
He didn't quit the franchise. He was fired by Rothman for daring to work for two studios. He was planning to do both Superman and X3 one after the other and would have if Fox hadn't gotten greedy and refused to wait a year. They literally rushed out X3 which is why Vaughn quit as it wasn't near to being a finished product. That is why X3 was so crap. Fox and Ratner are the ones to blame. I gladly would have waited till 2007 to get a real sequel and not that imposter of a movie we got.

Cyclops would have had a bigger part and so would Rogue if Fox hadn't rushed production so the schedule clashed for the actors. Rothman was a vindictive and greedy man.
Do you even have any semblance of an idea how bad for business it would be to wait around and push back a project for one guy?

No, Fox -shouldn't- have postponed the project. Because like X-Maniac said, you never know what may have happened after the fact. Fox needed to move on with the project. Granted, I'm not saying they handled it right during the production, but the decision to move forward after Singer moved forward on his own was absolutely the correct decision. And if you think otherwise, please never run a business on any level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Did Singer swipe Marsden or did he give him another job after he was written to be killed off early on?
Cyclops wasn't determined to be killed off until Marsden was gone. There was a quote from Kinberg I believe it was saying something like (paraphrasing) "We've found this amazing way to deal with his limited availability".

Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #283
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

The 'mistake' here was in not quickly signing Singer for his X3 (or X3/X4) very soon after the box office and critical reaction of X2 showed the franchise was going places.

However, we don't know exactly what went on during the Singer/Fox negotiations for X3 that never led to any deal being reached. We don't know what was proposed by each side, and whether one party was being unreasonable. Singer might have asked for ridiculously high amounts of money, Rothman might have offered ridiculously low amounts of money.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #284
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I love how people seem to think Singer is responsible for Marden's role in X3. Marsden didn't have to do Superman Returns you know.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #285
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
I love how people seem to think Singer is responsible for Marden's role in X3. Marsden didn't have to do Superman Returns you know.
No, he didn't. But it was probably the final nail in the character's coffin.

Of course, we have no idea what would have happened with Cyclops in X3 if Marsden had still been fully available.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #286
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

That's bull really they could have had him come back and save Jean in reshoots after he was done filming SR.

:o
Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #287
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Do you even have any semblance of an idea how bad for business it would be to wait around and push back a project for one guy?
Worked for TDKR.

TDK was a massive hit in 2008. WB could have easily fast tracked the sequel for 2010, or even 2011. But they didn't.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #288
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
That's bull really they could have had him come back and save Jean in reshoots after he was done filming SR.
I don't think it's as simple as that, though. Reshooting a climactic sequence to accommodate one actor sounds a bit expensive and inconvenient.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #289
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't think it's as simple as that, though. Reshooting a climactic sequence to accommodate one actor sounds a bit expensive and inconvenient.
Not really "re-shooting" I guess then. But accommodating for his schedule so that he could at least have been in the final battle and saved Jean. I would have been way more okay with X3 had it done that.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #290
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Not really "re-shooting" I guess then. But accommodating for his schedule so that he could at least have been in the final battle and saved Jean. I would have been way more okay with X3 had it done that.
A lot of fans would have liked that. However, it ain't what happened and I rather suspect the studio would want Wolverine to play a central role in the climax even if Cyclops somehow returned.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #291
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

It could have been both him and Logan that save her. That would have been cool doing the essentially the same scene only Cyc and Wolvie doing it as a team. Scott could have used Logan as a human sheild to get to Jean.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #292
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
It could have been both him and Logan that save her. That would have been cool doing the essentially the same scene only Cyc and Wolvie doing it as a team. Scott could have used Logan as a human sheild to get to Jean.
Lol... I dunno why but that would be hilarious

Old 09-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #293
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
Lol... I dunno why but that would be hilarious
Full circle man, full circle..

Old 09-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #294
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
I think Fox and Singer were out to spite each other, singer took marsden and tried to get other cast members to work on Superman returns so Fox would have a problem and Fox pretty much said skrew you if you think that will effect us in any way

its possible Singer thought he could have his cake and eat it by forcing Fox to have to wait so he could come back
This is exactly what happened, and Fox called his bluff on it obviously.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #295
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Writers decided to kill him off because of Superman.
Are you sure about that?

Quote:
The 'mistake' here was in not quickly signing Singer for his X3 (or X3/X4) very soon after the box office and critical reaction of X2 showed the franchise was going places.
This.

We know the higher-ups over at Fox and especially Rothman, didn't know what he had in the X-men franchise (Hey! At least we got X-men and X2 out of it!)

Good riddance Rothman.

As an X-men fan, I'd be lying if I said I was happy that Singer opted to do SR over X-men but what's done is done. He's back now. Most of the cast is back. We're getting a Days of Future Past movie!

Old 09-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #296
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Are you sure about that?
I thought that was something everyone knew.

Dont remember the exact words, but the writers back in 2006, and after all the hate and all, talked a bit about the situation with the studio and the agenda conflicts, and James having to spend many months outside of USA led to Tom or whoever it was wanting to leave Cyclops out. But they fought hard to keep him in the movie even with a small role.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #297
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Are you sure about that?

This.

We know the higher-ups over at Fox and especially Rothman, didn't know what he had in the X-men franchise (Hey! At least we got X-men and X2 out of it!)

Good riddance Rothman.

As an X-men fan, I'd be lying if I said I was happy that Singer opted to do SR over X-men but what's done is done. He's back now. Most of the cast is back. We're getting a Days of Future Past movie!
+1 million. Singer's back. Both sides know mistakes were made with the X3/Superman thing.

Just watching the comic con interviews, you can tell EVERYONE is excited for Singer to be back. From the fans to the original cast.

And in my opinion, DOFP stole the show at comic con this past year and it's my most anticipated movie of 2014.

I'm thinking I'll take off work the Friday it opens and hopefully attend an X-Men movie marathon at my local Wehrenberg

Old 09-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #298
Double B
Side-Kick

Fox not snapping Singer up the minute the opening weekend figures for X2 came in was their own stupid mistake.

I distinctly remember several press reports during that period about how Fox had yet to approach Singer for a deal. You snooze, you lose.

The only problem was, with this particular situation, everyone lost.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #299
xDOFPx
Side-Kick

Fox could have signed Singer and Marsden. They chose not to and infact basically fired Singer and vindictively killed off Cyclops. They could and should have waited a year. Their greed and arrogance cost them a decent movie and us as well.

They should have signed Singer and he would of had to come back and do X3. Rothman is the one who has most of the blame.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #300
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Fox could have signed Singer and Marsden. They chose not to and infact basically fired Singer and vindictively killed off Cyclops. They could and should have waited a year. Their greed and arrogance cost them a decent movie and us as well.

They should have signed Singer and he would of had to come back and do X3. Rothman is the one who has most of the blame.
So glad Rothman is gone. Now we're getting Sentinels and time travel

Closed Thread