Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #601
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
But, your whole argument has been that the OT cast is better because they are bigger stars and that a potential FC cast sequel can't carry another movie on their own...

You know what - I don't even care anymore, this whole convo has just always gone in a complete circle.
I didn't say that. In 2011, I posted things/characters that I want to see FC2/FC3 movie. They can carry their own movie but now that the OT cast is finally back, I just don't think more FC movies are beneficial/necessary to the series when they could do more team movies featuring Wolverine, Rogue, Storm, Iceman, Shadowcat, Colossus, etc.... and with a line-up like that, it won't be an issue if they include B-list characters like Havok and Banshee. Look at Bishop, he's a B-list character too like Havok, but no one is using that against him.

If FOX is gonna be more successful and gonna earn more money with films featuring the OT cast, then they should be making more films with them and not give the torch to the FC cast.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 09-12-2013, 11:31 PM   #602
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Her? I thought we were talking about Jerry Lewis!
They're going to be calling Mystique, "Laaaaaaady!!"

Old 09-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #603
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
that part about people like Wolverine more...

well, now we can say that USA numbers dont say that, taking into account your point of view.

An The Wolverine didnt have only Wolverine, it had Jean Grey/Famke Janssen. I find really interesting how some people use to forget her, as if the x-men fans didnt care about Jean Grey or something.
Jean Grey was barely marketed for The Wolverine. She certainly wasn't marketed in a significant role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
That's nice guys.

But, seriously, where is my goddamn trailer?
But this is really the most important thing right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
JLew? We're calling her JLew now?

Please stop that immediately.

Quote:
But, your whole argument has been that the OT cast is better because they are bigger stars and that a potential FC cast sequel can't carry another movie on their own...

You know what - I don't even care anymore, this whole convo has just always gone in a complete circle.
I hope nobody is saying First Class can't carry a movie. They've already done it.

I just think the point is that in terms of popularity, main trilogy > First Class

Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #604
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's an absolutely ridiculous thing to say. Lawrence, Fassbender, McAvoy, and Hoult are most certainly on the climbing ladder in Hollywood right now. To say that they would never reach the same popularity in a movie franchise whose original actors haven't been on screen together since 2006 is ridiculous.

That's not even taking into consideration the fact that a direct First Class sequel could ADD even more talent that is currently bigger and more popular than most of the OT cast.

Silly statement.
Considering Vaughn's plan was to only add one more character to his FC sequel, it would have to be a really big and popular "talent."

Old 09-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #605
Genosha
Mutant Island

Some of this Beast talk is reminding me of something I wanted to mention:

When is Beast going to be funny? He would say some of the most outrageous things and had a HUGE vocabulary.

The 90's cartoon really did a fantastic job of capturing that.

I felt he was a little too angsty in FC and a little too serious in The Last Stand.

Both actors did very well with the role and I like what they have done overall. They have peppered some big words here and there too.

But I'd still would like to laugh when Beast says things. I really miss that aspect of him. Maybe in DOFP.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #606
Antihero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Considering Vaughn's plan was to only add one more character to his FC sequel, it would have to be a really big and popular "talent."
I hope they add the biggest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosha View Post

The 90's cartoon really did a fantastic job of capturing that.
Nothing would ever come close to X-Men:Animated Series.Hopefully DOFP would surpass it

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Beast is definitely an A-list X-Men character. But I think FC Beast just didn't appeal that much (IMO) compare to X3's kelsey Grammar's Beast because of his cat look and for like the first 90 minutes he was in human form.
I do accept Beast is an A-list X-Men character.That was my mistake.

I want DOFP Beast to be similar to Beast in the 90's cartoon.I want him to use his gift of vocabulary and use quotes etc

Last edited by Antihero; 09-13-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #607
Theweepeople
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I didn't see anything in those articles that would suggest people involved considering those films inferior.
Verbal expression isn't always needed to decipher someones feelings. Patterns of behavior and sometimes unique changes in these patterns can reveal what people are thinking. Tom Rothman used to be cocky and overconfident when he would promote Fox comic book films from 2003-2009 while occasionally saying derogatory things about fan boys.

Then sometime in 2009 a change in his attitude took place. He took down that amateurish looking and silly website about his accomplishments as CEO of Fox possibly to change his image. Next he started to give some directors more freedom to properly develop the films they were hired to direct. Percy Jackson, The A-team, and Chronicles of Narnia didn't suffer from Rothman's delusional idea of keeping the run time for all action, sci-fi, and fantasy movies around 90 to 100 minutes.

Of course these films aren't the best examples of how to make good movies of these genres because only one was successful and has a sequel. Narnia probably bombed because quite frankly it's not a good series and The A-team was horribly promoted. In spite, of these mishaps Rothman's decision was a step in the right direction but, possibly too late to quickly fix all of Fox's property rights.

What Rothman did in 2010 shocked me. Rehiring the director(Bryan Singer) he kicked off the company lot in 2004 and hiring the director(Matthew Vaughn) who bailed on X3 seemed like a pathetic act of desperation to save the X-Men franchise from going into oblivion. There was a lot of bad blood between Rothman and these two talented directors so it' fairly reasonable to assume that someone was forced to consume truckloads of humble pie due to these miraculous change of events. Fortunately, X-Men First Class wasn't subjected to that insane 90 to 100 minute run time that Rothman used to be obsessed with.

Overall, my interpretation of the Tom Rothman article was him admitting defeat to his status quota dictatorial perspective on developing films. He was never going to directly confess to making mistakes with the production of previous X-Men films and he doesn't need to. Tom's actions revealed his true feelings about the films shortcomings.

If Rothman thought X3 and Wolverine were so great Brett Ratner or Gavin Hood would have at least gotten the option to direct a sequel. Rothman going out of his way to praise other studio's comic book flicks while suggesting that Fox's films needed improvement was basically confirmation that his once favorable opinion towards previous X-men films had been modified.

This whole argument is somewhat based on speculation but, there's legitimate evidence to support these theories.

I will confess that the article on Hugh Jackman was unnecessary to post. However, even Hugh's attitude in interviews about Wolverine has changed significantly since X3 came out. Hugh went out of his way to call the "The Wolverine" a non sequel.

http://screenrant.com/hugh-jackman-t...e-2-interview/

Okay... so Hugh didn't say the previous film was inferior but, mentions some of the issues with the previous film that The Wolverine wouldn't have. I'm not getting the impression that Hugh has a satisfied perspective towards X-Menrigins with that article.

Oh well. Now on to another subject. I'm excited for the new X-Men sequel. However, I have some concerns. I have not enjoyed Singer's last two films(Superman Returns, Valkyrie) and didn't bother with Jack the Giant Slayer since it looked stupid. I would have preferred Mathew Vaughn to direct since he made my favorite X-Men film.

Singer was never my favorite comic book director to begin with. He made a decent X-men film, one good one, and a mediocre Superman movie. I prefer the likes of Christopher Nolan, Zack Synder, Sam Raimi, and Matthew Vaughn over him.

The only other concerns I have are the number of characters in this film and some of the choice of characters. Unless this movie is 3 hours long there is almost no way all the characters get even a modest amount of development. Secondly, I seriously don't care about Blink and Warpath. Two uninteresting and unpopular X-men characters with generic powers.

This is my final post in these forums. My Wife gave birth to my first son a few months ago thereby, dramatically changing my priorities. I don't have the time nor the energy to continue discussing or debating anymore topics after this so thanks to everyone for making these forums amusing and fun. Goodbye forever.

CBM hack list:

Mark Steven Johnson, Paul WS Anderson, Brett Ratner, Joel Schumacher, Kenneth Johnson, Rob Bowman, Zak Penn, Simon Kinberg, Avi Arad, Pitoff, John Rogers, and Tim Story.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #608
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theweepeople View Post
Okay... so Hugh didn't say the previous film was inferior but, mentions some of the issues with the previous film that The Wolverine wouldn't have. I'm not getting the impression that Hugh has a satisfied perspective towards X-Menrigins with that article.
He wasn't. He's always very considerate on not saying it flat out sucked but he was let down.
http://www.hitfix.com/news/hugh-jack...d-as-wolverine
Quote:
I can tell you this, and I can say this now: I wasnt sure that I would do another Wolverine movie after the first one, he said. I just felt that I hadnt done the character justice, and that was a bit of a hole inside of me.
http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/over...e-movie-sucked
Quote:
"I had something to prove, and we could have done better," he revealed to EW. "Somehow the first 'Wolverine' movie ended up looking like the fourth 'X-Men' just with different characters. I left unsure if wed achieved our goal, which was to make sure people understood my character."
http://collider.com/hugh-jackman-the...ine-interview/
Quote:
I think for whatever reason, there were a number of things working against us at the time in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. We all put our heart and soul into it, I just honestly when I watched it I went, I still dont feel like weve really delivered who my vision of who this character is. I think weve got another shot at it.
Jackman knew what was up. And he fixed the problem.

Last edited by def28; 09-13-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:48 AM   #609
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
He wasn't. He's always very considerate on not saying it flat out sucked but he was let down.
http://www.hitfix.com/news/hugh-jack...d-as-wolverine

http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/over...e-movie-sucked

http://collider.com/hugh-jackman-the...ine-interview/

Jackman knew what was up. And he fixed the problem.
He said something similar in an interview this week as well:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/09/toron...lf-harder.html

Quote:
"And it may be enough for Jackman, at least when it comes to his most iconic role. The actor admits that his first X-Men spinoff, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, failed to live up to fan expectations and may have depressed the box office for its superior sequel The Wolverine this past summer. "I can tell you this, and I can say this now: I wasn't sure that I would do another Wolverine movie after the first one," he admits. "I just felt that I hadn't done the character justice, and that was a bit of a hole inside of me." Now that The Wolverine has rectified that for Jackman, and with Days of Future Past on the way, he says of his time with the character, "It's nearing the end. I do feel that. If there are any more movies, there would have to be a really good reason for it."
You'll never hear Hugh flat-out say any of the movies sucked. I think he's always respected the people who worked on those films (regardless of how the film turned out), notto put them down like that. He's never excused himself from whatever went wrong with those films either.

Hugh's awesome like that.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #610
def28
Side-Kick

Definitely. He handles it much better then other actors. Nothing is gonna help the situation by throwing names under the bus, or flat out bashing it. I remember him giving us hints about not liking Deadpool early on. I'm sure he wasn't happy about a few things. Overall he made up for it in the sequel and proved himself, which is what it all comes down to.

As much as I like to thrash Origins, so much work goes into these movies by talented people in front of and behind the camera who do not have creative control. The cast itself did what they could for the most part and were excellent choices imo.

Last edited by def28; 09-13-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:15 AM   #611
Angamb
Banned User

I know my opinion on the subject wont be shared by many users.... but to me, with Jackman star power in the franchise, I honestly think he could have fought for a better script on Origins, and a bit more respect for some of those important characters.

We cant know what happened behind the scenes and what were the discussions the creative team, Jackman and the producers had, but something tells me Hugh probably didnt do anything at all to get a better movie.

I know some people wont like this opinion, but I honestly think so.

Last edited by Angamb; 09-13-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #612
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

From all we've heard, there was so much studio interference in Origins that it didn't matter what anyone wanted, it wasn't a matter of Hugh or anyone else not bothering to demand a better movie.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:26 AM   #613
def28
Side-Kick

Yeah, theres just been too many things said about that one.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #614
Angamb
Banned User

a huge star as Hugh Jackman, who was basically the Star of the original trilogy and that spin-off, he really had and has power regarding how he negociates with a studio and having some imput on how he wants the movie to be.

Yeah, there are always hard producers, executives to work with, always has happened, always will, but a huge actor can demand some changes, creating some pression to a studio, if he wants it. Wheter the studio likes it or not, a star can push. Its on the studio interes to hear the star and take his demands into consideration, at the very least.

And in many cases, both on movie filmings and other events, producers end accepting some things.

And in movie industry in particular, its on the interes of everyone to make a better movie. So if what a star like Hugh demanded just better material, someone smart on a studio would agree with him, and Im sure it wouldnt be just ONE producers or person involved in the proyect, it would be more people agreeing with Hugh. His agent, Lauren, and maybe even the director. If a small but strong group of people involved with a movie creates serious pression, the studio wouldnt have other option than to start considering those demands.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #615
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Not really. Hugh's a much bigger star now than he was when Origins started filming. And if I'm remembering correctly, there was some sort deal where he agreed to do X3 and Origins and the studio would back some projects his production company was working on. That production company is gone now, but it's why he had producer credit on Origins (and he was a producer on The Wolverine, although uncredited that time). So he was still working for them.

He also started filming Origins right after finishing Australia, which had run over and had problems of its own. It's not like he was sitting around.

Like we've pointed out, he acknowledges that Origins was a mess (and Nell, don't start), and takes his share of the responsibility for what went wrong. But from everything we've heard, there are a lot of folks to blame for it. Just being the star doesn't automatically give them the power fix everything.

And they're mistakes that were clearly fixed for The Wolverine.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #616
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Bryan Singer said 10 years after X-Men: The Last Stand. I am using in movie evidence to show how "10 years after X-Men: The Last Stand" could equal 2023.
So in other words, we don't know that the future explicitly takes place in 2023... there ya go.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #617
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
a huge star as Hugh Jackman, who was basically the Star of the original trilogy and that spin-off, he really had and has power regarding how he negociates with a studio and having some imput on how he wants the movie to be.

Yeah, there are always hard producers, executives to work with, always has happened, always will, but a huge actor can demand some changes, creating some pression to a studio, if he wants it. Wheter the studio likes it or not, a star can push. Its on the studio interes to hear the star and take his demands into consideration, at the very least.

And in many cases, both on movie filmings and other events, producers end accepting some things.

And in movie industry in particular, its on the interes of everyone to make a better movie. So if what a star like Hugh demanded just better material, someone smart on a studio would agree with him, and Im sure it wouldnt be just ONE producers or person involved in the proyect, it would be more people agreeing with Hugh. His agent, Lauren, and maybe even the director. If a small but strong group of people involved with a movie creates serious pression, the studio wouldnt have other option than to start considering those demands.
Not really. Nothing wrong with the characterization of the central characters in the movie, Logan/Creed kept you in the film, and even Stryker was good. It was the mismanagement of the supporting cast that dragged the film down. Jackman can't be responsible for anything in that regard.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #618
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

That said, I would cry openly if "Zack Synder" ever gets directing duties on any of the main X-men movies.

Ugh. Not a fan.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #619
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
Not really. Nothing wrong with the characterization of the central characters in the movie, Logan/Creed kept you in the film, and even Stryker was good. It was the mismanagement of the supporting cast that dragged the film down. Jackman can't be responsible for anything in that regard.
I didnt say he is responsible. Of course he isnt since he didnt write the script or direct the movie.

My basic point was that he could have been more vocal regarding the treatment of certain things. And his team along with Lauren could have gotten part of what they could have fought for.

That was the only point.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #620
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
That said, I would cry openly if "Zack Synder" ever gets directing duties on any of the main X-men movies.

Ugh. Not a fan.
Seconded.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #621
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I didnt say he is responsible. Of course he isnt since he didnt write the script or direct the movie.

My basic point was that he could have been more vocal regarding the treatment of certain things. And his team along with Lauren could have gotten part of what they could have fought for.

That was the only point.
But you're basically insisting he should have used some sort of "hey, I'm a star!" card to fix everything, which it sounds like he didn't have the pull to do, from what we've heard about the studio interference on the film. We don't know what kind of conversations were actually had, or what people did or didn't do to accurately put anyone at fault.

When he appeared at the fan screening for The Wolverine this summer and got two questions about appearing in an Avengers film, he even commented about those decisions needing to be made by people "way above my paygrade". Ain't gonna happen just because he's the star.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #622
Antihero
Side-Kick

Shouldn't DOFP have just send a person from the future just like the cartoons?I don't understand why are they sending Wolverine's mind to the past

Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #623
xrs13
Cold as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antihero View Post
Shouldn't DOFP have just send a person from the future just like the cartoons?I don't understand why are they sending Wolverine's mind to the past
nothing will ever be accurate including the cartoons, different strokes for different folks

Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #624
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Even if they only added one more X-Men they can still cast big names as villains.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #625
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antihero View Post
Because they would rather take a page from the books than the cartoons.

Closed Thread