The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #876
Mars123
Side-Kick

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - Part 11

Personally the 15 years comment in x1 is more likely retcon able that 3 mile incident but I try to ignore the inconsistencies, it's not worth getting to hung up on!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #877
Mulholland-Jr
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
That damage is what made me think it was afterwards: 3 mile Island never lost a cooling tower in the real incident (it was one of the reactor cores that failed, partially meltdown, leaving a containment building contaminated), and that destroyed tower didn't appear to be active either in Origins (indicating it might have been the one attached to the core that failed to me).
They never lost a cooling tower in 1985 either though. So technically you could make a case against that too. You could use the whole "alternate history" argument, but then you could use it for 1979 as well.

Quote:
Possible: I'd agree there's been a lack of concern with continuity from Singer when he took over the production of First Class (I figure that he'd have remembered the previously established dialogues from his owns films and would have passed that info on to Vaughan if he were bothered about FC contradicting it).
I think it was more of Vaughn and his ego. He's mentioned his distaste for X3 and how it turned out, I really don't think he wanted to adhere to that movie in anyway. Singer always seemed very keen on tieing the whole universe together, while Vaughn just made the movie he wanted to make. Fox was just desperate for a hit so they handed Vaughn a blank check.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #878
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland-Jr View Post
They never lost a cooling tower in 1985 either though. So technically you could make a case against that too. You could use the whole "alternate history" argument, but then you could use it for 1979 as well.
They didn't have the worlds media watching all over them in 1985 though. In 1979 as the incident unfolded there were camera's on the that place 24/7.

The Stack coming down, and Strykers secret camp as well, would have been an easier thing to cover up if it happened in or a little before 1985. Yes, it's still a big ask that it went by un-noticed, but a lot easier to take than the stack coming down in 79, that it caused the reactor problems (it wouldn't, they have redundancies for the stacks) and there being a camp full of potentially very dangerous mutants being covertly held at a fully functional civilian run Nuclear power station (of all places!!).

Old 09-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #879
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
They didn't have the worlds media watching all over them in 1985 though. In 1979 as the incident unfolded there were camera's on the that place 24/7.

The Stack coming down, and Strykers secret camp as well, would have been an easier thing to cover up if it happened in or a little before 1985. Yes, it's still a big ask that it went by un-noticed, but a lot easier to take than the stack coming down in 79, that it caused the reactor problems (it wouldn't, they have redundancies for the stacks) and there being a camp full of potentially very dangerous mutants being covertly held at a fully functional civilian run Nuclear power station (of all places!!).
I sorta feel like this, much like the cuban missile crisis is alternate takes on history...

In the Real world in 1979 we had the 3 mile island incident... in the X-universe that incident is a cover-up for what happened with wolverine. The place was pretty much destroyed, and the gov covered it up as a nuclear disaster.

the cuban missile crisis still happened in both worlds... but the Mutants outted themselves at that moment.. where as mutants of course weren't a part of it in ours.

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 09-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #880
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

It's been a while since I've seen Origins (and I feel blessed to say so) but isn't there a throwaway line from Gambit that implies that the incident had happened before they approach it?

As for Logan's claws... he doesn't need them in the 70's and continuity shouldn't be damaged further to include them. He does need them in the future though. Hopefully they make a return.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #881
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I sorta feel like this, much like the cuban missile crisis is alternate takes on history...

In the Real world in 1979 we had the 3 mile island incident... in the X-universe that incident is a cover-up for what happened with wolverine. The place was pretty much destroyed, and the gov covered it up as a nuclear disaster.

the cuban missile crisis still happened in both worlds... but the Mutants outted themselves at that moment.. where as mutants of course weren't a part of it in ours.
3 mile Island was a near disaster. A close call, but they got it under control (not like Chernobyl, where it really went tits up). The station was still operational afterwards, with the affected reactor shut shown and contaminated areas cut off (a perfect hiding place for a secret camp in a big ass building if the contamination were a cover).

And the world's media wasn't on the Cuban beaches filming any of what happened in FC. As far as the public and press knew, the US had it's blockade, the Russian ships were heading towards it, Kennedy had publicly announced it would be war if they crossed it, then the Soviets (to many's surprise at the time) turned back at the last minute.

So as far as the rest of the world was concerned, after changing their underwear at what a close call that was (My Dad for one thought it was all gonna kick off for sure), they'd still be none the wiser about mutants.

Which would fit in with X1: The way that started it was rather clear the public had only recently become aware of mutants, with Kelly promoting his bill to have them all registered citing their abilities as something that was new and dangerous to people, not as something that everyone's known all about since the early 60's.

Anyways, like I said before, only the writers of Origins know just what they had in mind there with 3 mile Island. It could have been 79, it could have been later. Later simply fits better for me.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #882
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by henzINNIT View Post
It's been a while since I've seen Origins (and I feel blessed to say so) but isn't there a throwaway line from Gambit that implies that the incident had happened before they approach it?

As for Logan's claws... he doesn't need them in the 70's and continuity shouldn't be damaged further to include them. He does need them in the future though. Hopefully they make a return.
According IMDB he says 2 lines about it:

"Two years I rotted in that hellhole and I ain't ever going back"

And..

"There it is. The island. Three Mile Island. Hiding in plain sight. No one's gonna snoop around a nuclear reactor. They think it's gonna turn them into freaks.".

Confirms it was 3 mile Island, but nothing definite on the years. Again, I think only the writers can say just what they had in mind there.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #883
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
3 mile Island was a near disaster. A close call, but they got it under control (not like Chernobyl, where it really went tits up). The station was still operational afterwards, with the affected reactor shut shown and contaminated areas cut off (a perfect hiding place for a secret camp in a big ass building if the contamination were a cover).

And the world's media wasn't on the Cuban beaches filming any of what happened in FC. As far as the public and press knew, the US had it's blockade, the Russian ships were heading towards it, Kennedy had publicly announced it would be war if they crossed it, then the Soviets (to many's surprise at the time) turned back at the last minute.

So as far as the rest of the world was concerned, after changing their underwear at what a close call that was (My Dad for one thought it was all gonna kick off for sure), they'd still be none the wiser about mutants.

Which would fit in with X1: The way that started it was rather clear the public had only recently become aware of mutants, with Kelly promoting his bill to have them all registered citing their abilities as something that was new and dangerous to people, not as something that everyone's known all about since the early 60's.

Anyways, like I said before, only the writers of Origins know just what they had in mind there with 3 mile Island. It could have been 79, it could have been later. Later simply fits better for me.
except for the fact Sentinels are created before X1... and the public knew of them before X1... there's no evidence that they "just" became aware... imo. They spoke of them as if it were White's vs Blacks in the deep south in 1960s.. it's not like blacks just "appeared" there.. and outted themselves as black, They'd been living in the country for hundreds of years by that point, and were freed more than 60 years prior...

people can be fearful bigots all they want, doesn't mean it's brand knew. Just continuous fear that freaks them out the more knew pieces of info they find.

[=]
Old 09-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #884
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
except for the fact Sentinels are created before X1... and the public knew of them before X1... there's no evidence that they "just" became aware... imo. They spoke of them as if it were White's vs Blacks in the deep south in 1960s.. it's not like blacks just "appeared" there.. and outted themselves as black, They'd been living in the country for hundreds of years by that point, and were freed more than 60 years prior...

people can be fearful bigots all they want, doesn't mean it's brand knew. Just continuous fear that freaks them out the more knew pieces of info they find.
Ok...I disagree with that bolded comment (not the White/Black comparison as such, as there were similar arguments in the past with that, simply that this was something that's been known & debated about for decades) and this is where the Trask viral site timeline stuff does contradict X1 and the later films a bit (as I've noted a number of times before).

Ok, for me there is no way Jeans opening dialogue and her debate with Kelly works as something that's been known about publicly for decades. Nearly 40 years if mutants had indeed outed themselves in Cuba. This was clearly something relatively new to the masses (I said it was clear the public had only recently become aware of them) and Kelly was playing on the fear that inevitably comes from any given society when something new and different is thrown into it's melting pot.

This is that exchange:

Jean: "Ladies and gentlemen, we are now seeing the beginnings of another stage of human evolution. These mutations manifest at puberty, and are often triggered by periods of heightened emotional stress."

(if they have been known about for ages would this not be old news by now?)

Kelly: "Thank you, Miss Grey! That was quite educational, however it fails to address the issue which is the focus of this hearing. Three words: are mutants dangerous?"

Jean: "That's an unfair question Senator Kelly. After all, the wrong person behind the wheel of a car can be dangerous."

Kelly: "Well, we do license people to drive."

Jean: "But not to live....Senator, it is a fact that mutants who have come forward and revealed themselves publicly have been met with fear, hostility...even violence. It is because of that ever present hostility that I am urging the senate to vote against the Mutant Registration Act. To force mutants to expose themselves will only..."

Kelly (interrupting): "Expose themselves? What is it the mutant community has to hide I wonder that makes them so afraid to identify themselves?

Jean: "I didn't say they were hiding"

Kelly: "Well let me show you what is being hidden Miss Grey. I have here a list of names of mutants living right here, in the United States..."

Jean: "Senator kelly... "

Kelly: Here's a girl in Illinois who can walk through walls. Now what's to stop her from walking into a bank vault, or the White House, or (as he gestures to the public gallery) into their houses?"

Jean: "Senator, please..."

Kelly: "And there are even rumours, Miss Grey, of mutants so powerful that they can enter our minds and control our thoughts, taking away our God-given free will. Now I think the American people deserve the right to decide if they want their children to be in school with mutants. To be taught by mutants! Ladies and gentlemen, the truth is that mutants are very real, and that they are among us*. We must know who they are, and above all...What they can do! "

*again, all this would be old news, would it not?

Now really...Does all that sound like something everyone has known about since 1963? Something they have had nearly 40 years to deal with one way or another?

When the Government already knew about telepaphs as fact, not rumour (they dealt directly with Xavier, held Emma Frost etc), they already knew of powerful mutants like Shaw, Magneto, etc, but it's only in the near future of the year 2000 the issue of mutant registration, and public awareness of how powerful some mutants might be, manages to make it's way to the Senate?

Nah. For me that doesn't work at all. In X1 it was clear mutants was something the public had only recently found out about. It could have been as much as a few years, but it was certainly not a few decades, imo.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #885
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

1) we have no idea what the time frame of "beginning to see" the era of new human evolution could be over a 100 year time span and still be "the beginning of human evolution" in the grand space of time..... that really means absolutely nothing by scientific standards in which jean is....

2)Add to that, sen Kelly and many other homosapiens are still learning about mutants. Its not as simple as gay/straight white/black nearly every mutant ability is different some can conceal it others can't, and their abilities are limitless. There's so much people still wouldn't know or understand. Even the gov

3) fear often leads to irrational behavior and denile

I doubt mutants were publicly outed in 63 but i do think people slowly started to become more and more aware. And that X1 was far from the ffirst public tift

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 09-19-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #886
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
1) we have no idea what the time frame of "beginning to see" the era of new human evolution could be over a 100 year time span and still be "the beginning of human evolution" in the grand space of time..... that really means absolutely nothing by scientific standards in which jean is....
She is talking to the senate and to a public gallery about the subject as if they know little about it all. Kellys further statements on the matter show that the public don't know that much about it all. He is playing on their fear and doubt throughout, getting approval from the gallery for it, etc.

His 'They are very real, and they are among us' line is quite key there. It's a completely redundant statement if everyone's known about them for decades.

Then there's Magneto's 'heard the same arguments before' line shortly afterwards to Charles. Charles responds with 'that was a long time ago' (referring of course to the Nazi's with the Jews). I think if mutants had been known about for decades this argument would have popped up long before X1 opened.

Quote:
Add to that, sen Kelly and many other homosapiens are still learning about mutants. Its not as simple as gay/straight white/black nearly every mutant ability is different some can conceal it others can't, and their abilities are limitless.
If mutants were outed as far back as Cuba the world would have learned 2 things about them there and then: 1) Mutants can lift and hold Nuclear Submarines clear from the water, and 2) One nearly started a Nuclear War, and another nearly destroyed both countries assembled fleets with their own weapons.

No way at all them being outed at Cuba works at all with X1. I'd say they've been known about by the public for a few years at the most when X1 opens (imo).

Last edited by wobbly; 09-19-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #887
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
She is talking to the senate and to a public gallery about the subject as if they know little about it all. Kellys further statements on the matter show that the public don't know that much about it all. He is playing on their fear and doubt throughout, getting approval from the gallery for it, etc.

His 'They are very real, and they are among us' line is quite key there. It's a completely redundant statement if everyone's known about them for decades.

Then there's Magneto's 'heard the same arguments before' line shortly afterwards to Charles. Charles responds with 'that was a long time ago' (referring of course to the Nazi's with the Jews). I think if mutants had been known about for decades this argument would have popped up long before X1 opened.

If mutants were outed as far back as Cuba the world would have learned 2 things about them there and then: 1) Mutants can lift and hold Nuclear Submarines clear from the water, and 2) One nearly started a Nuclear War, and another nearly destroyed both countries assembled fleets with their own weapons.

No way at all them being outed at Cuba works at all with X1. I'd say they've been known about by the public for a few years at the most when X1 opens (imo).
I never said they were outed in 63. But that being said the trask viral site already shows mutant hunting sentinels in the 70s... So we know they're public on some level at that point regardless of what X1 has you thinking

[=]
Old 09-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #888
The Original Bamfer
Big, Bald and Beautiful

I'm pretty sure the events at Cuba were kept fairly hush-hush. In FC, people mocked Moira for her belief in mutants. It's likely that anyone involved - aside from military contracts to keep it secret - would be embarrassed to tell others about exactly what they saw. As for Vietnam and the Sentinels, it'll probably be kept relatively quiet too. Though Trask Industries has proudly advertised their "protection of humanity" for over fifty years. Maybe it's a stretch, but perhaps all of these mutant attacks in between the films were covered up, or so isolated that it hadn't become a worldwide issue for years. The stuff with Kelly could be taking place after decades of relatively peaceful times just when mutant activity begins to rise again. But it's also mentioned in X1 that Kelly is trying to enact the Mutant Registration Act again. So I never felt like mutants were just breaking out in X1. I don't think it's a continuity issue at all.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #889
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
I never said they were outed in 63. But that being said the trask viral site already shows mutant hunting sentinels in the 70s... So we know they're public on some level at that point regardless of what X1 has you thinking
Actually...You did:

Quote:
I can buy mutants being public knowledge for a few years before X1, and if they are changing it for DOFP so that they have been known about by the masses since the 70's, then so be it, but personally I will consider that a change from what was presented in X1.

I've put in the 'Imo' for my comments on what I took from X1, and that remains the case: Imo, mutants were something the general public had only recently become aware of. A few years tops the way it looked to me.

DOFP looks like it will be saying otherwise, and that's fine, but that won't change what I originally took from X1 when I first saw it and the numerous occasions I've watched it since.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #890
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
I'm pretty sure the events at Cuba were kept fairly hush-hush. In FC, people mocked Moira for her belief in mutants. It's likely that anyone involved - aside from military contracts to keep it secret - would be embarrassed to tell others about exactly what they saw. As for Vietnam and the Sentinels, it'll probably be kept relatively quiet too. Though Trask Industries has proudly advertised their "protection of humanity" for over fifty years. Maybe it's a stretch, but perhaps all of these mutant attacks in between the films were covered up, or so isolated that it hadn't become a worldwide issue for years. The stuff with Kelly could be taking place after decades of relatively peaceful times just when mutant activity begins to rise again. But it's also mentioned in X1 that Kelly is trying to enact the Mutant Registration Act again. So I never felt like mutants were just breaking out in X1. I don't think it's a continuity issue at all.
Exactly. I assumed as well most events were covered up. And those that weren't much was deny deny deny.... It takes a long time for anything to pass in the senate and if he's proposing a registration id wager mutants have been public for at least a decade.

[=]
Old 09-19-2013, 09:29 PM   #891
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Actually...You did:

I can buy mutants being public knowledge for a few years before X1, and if they are changing it for DOFP so that they have been known about by the masses since the 70's, then so be it, but personally I will consider that a change from what was presented in X1.

I've put in the 'Imo' for my comments on what I took from X1, and that remains the case: Imo, mutants were something the general public had only recently become aware of. A few years tops the way it looked to me.

DOFP looks like it will be saying otherwise, and that's fine, but that won't change what I originally took from X1 when I first saw it and the numerous occasions I've watched it since.
They didn't out themselves to the public... They outed themselves to Cuban and us military. Which was indeed new information to them considering only a little bit of the cia knew about it. They weren't publicly outed to the general public... But id wager that moment very much so outed them to the government. and if the Cuban missile crisis wasn't enough.... Charles and Mystique muted mutant kind to many gov officials. It marked the first step into public information of mutants

[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 09-19-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #892
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Also... Of course everyone "originally" took it that way considering it was the first film and we had no prequel or past information to base anything off of. That being said they still didn't explicitly state it just all occurred

Old 09-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #893
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
They didn't out themselves to the public... They outed themselves to Cuban and us military.
If you'd put the bold in the original comment I'd have been spared a good deal of typing mate, as there's obviously no disagreement to be had there

Old 09-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #894
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

It was the first step on the public stairs

Old 09-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #895
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Just put everyone, including Wolverine, into the FC costumes. It would be very reminiscent of this.

*stealing for my fb cover*

Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #896
The Ironstar
Side-Kick

It's too bad Marina Sirtis is too old,she would have been a perfect Wanda

Old 09-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #897
Loki882
Side-Kick

The Sentinels could have been designed for a different purpose initially. Then, at some point, they were reprogrammed to hunt down Mutants.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #898
BMM
Side-Kick

Perhaps for Vietnam.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:13 AM   #899
MarvelU
Side-Kick

I always figured that mutants had been known way before x1, well at least to the CIA and perhaps to a small portion of the public. Perhaps the government keeps the thing about mutants starting world war 3 a secret in order not to cause panic and other stuff about some of the most powerful mutants. Another thing to consider is how many mutants the government thinks there exists in the 60s and 70s? Perhaps the government thinks there is only a few mutants alive (The X-men and Hell Fire Club). They build the sentinel program to "protect" people from any danger, but their true purpose is to capture the known mutants that cause trouble. Magneto and Mystique in DOFP cause havoc that reveals to a small portion of the public about mutants. The government obviously capture magneto, but he escapes. Maybe Magneto is re-captured by the end of Days of Future Past and the government halt the sentinel program. As the years go by more mutant start appearing and it is clear there are thousands and thousands of mutants in the world. The government then proceeds to introduce the registration act as they learn that the x gene mutation is indeed a bigger threat than originally thought. They begin the sentinel program again but with major upgrades after The Last Stand.

Last edited by MarvelU; 09-20-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #900
Mulholland-Jr
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Just put everyone, including Wolverine, into the FC costumes. It would be very reminiscent of this.

Reminicent of all the bad 90s comics?

Closed Thread