The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #751
Nathan

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 4

Looking at that sketch again, I wish they'd give us something similar to the Burton suit again. But use different material, that allows for better mobility.

Maybe use the material they used for the Engineer in Prometheus?

Bathead hit the nail on the head. Batman needs to look like more than just a guy in protective gear. People need to think he's supernatural, that he's more than a simple man. He vanishes, strikes out of the shadows, instills fear in you like the goddamn Bogeyman. Seeing a guy in armor immediately destroys that illusion.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #752
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Looking at that sketch again, I wish they'd give us something similar to the Burton suit again. But use different material, that allows for better mobility.

Maybe use the material they used for the Engineer in Prometheus?

Bathead hit the nail on the head. Batman needs to look like more than just a guy in protective gear. People need to think he's supernatural, that he's more than a simple man. He vanishes, strikes out of the shadows, instills fear in you like the goddamn Bogeyman. Seeing a guy in armor immediately destroys that illusion.
It's not about how the criminals see him it's how the general audience see him.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #753
Nathan

And the audience can't buy that a millionaire with his own tech and science division, can afford something better than Kevlar? Does Burton's Batman nowadays look any less badass, just because he isn't covered in obvious protective gear?

Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 AM   #754
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

A little to be honest. Rubber-muscle suits just dont look good today. Particularly not when the actor underneath looks nothing like it.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 AM   #755
bunk
superhero fan

The audience is already pretending to see rubber as some sort of armor, so I don't see why they can't pretend some other material is also armor. It really just has to look cool. I just hope whomever the costume designer is will think outside of the box a bit more.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #756
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Guys, it has to be real because this is clearly real life.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 09-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #757
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMANIMAL View Post
so i did some changes....

I like this. It would obviously look better with all the hollywood bells and whistles, but I like the general suit.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #758
Eddie Nashton
Just some nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Spider View Post
Credit goes to Eddie Nashton for the original design.
I did some small tweaks for fun, I just couldn't make the trunks work. I just noticed better the little things like the detailed well designed gloves, the pointy cape on his shoulders and the fabric texture and I appreciate the drawing more now. This is a very good starting point for a movie Batsuit being updated to our times but keeping the simplicity and the faithfulness of the original.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
You were definitely right about the belt

Old 09-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #759
SpideyFan866
Banned User

Quote:
I expect them to pull a Night Owl. Where he have lines along the suit, that give you a sense of it being armored, like most of the New 52 suits, but he's not wearing kevlar plates or thick protective gear like in Arkham Origins. I'm actually hoping for a blend between the Night Owl and Batman's New 52 costume.

Ditto.

And considering that Michael Wilkinson (who was the costume designer for Watchmen and is a consistent Snyder collaborator) worked on MOS and will likely work on MOS2, I could definitely see them going a similar route.

They clearly were inspired by Batman with that design, so I can only imagine the great things they'll do when doing Batman himself.

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 09-20-2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #760
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I can pretty much accept everything but the thick rubbery look. I hate rubber-suits that really look like rubber that folds al over the place.
The crotch on the Nolan-suit looks goddamn horrid in that way. Nite-Owl also looks mighty rubbery, but not nearly as bad.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #761
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square

It's funny the mentality that the Burton movies imposed on us regarding the suit.

James Bond has been dodging bullets and using tricks to get out of sticky situations for years - then Batman comes along, and for over 20 years, a lot of people say it's mandatory that he be armoured up to the eyeballs. Mainly because of him being shot twice, just for the sole purpose of imposing and exposing Batman's monstrous myth, that he's not that, an immortal creature, but just a man in body armour.

Sure he wears it in the comics, but not to tge point of making him look and feel like he's msmmy's wrapped him up in cotton wool.

The thing about him being black and hiding in the shadows...he uses his cape for that, whch the films like to ignore.

The big black bat...We're not in that mentality anymore. It's kind of over after 20 year.
Yes, I've been guilty of it myself, but not now.

It's time to stop treating Batman as if he is a pussy with all this cotton wool armour and stuff

Old 09-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #762
DKDetective
Commander RNVR

Quote:
And the audience can't buy that a millionaire with his own tech and science division, can afford something better than Kevlar? Does Burton's Batman nowadays look any less badass, just because he isn't covered in obvious protective gear?
What are you talking about? The Burton Batsuits started the whole problem. They are what ushered in the whole trend of cinematic Batman wearing thick, heavy, immobile body armour.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #763
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

I even like the underpants on that nite owl suit. lol

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Interstellar

Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #764
Dk1201
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I like this. It would obviously look better with all the hollywood bells and whistles, but I like the general suit.

Agreed.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #765
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

On my phone at the moment and I don't want to spam with page with a post for each person that I respond to, but what I've been seeing for the past few posts is the "Batman should not wear spandex" and "It makes sense to wear bulky heavy black armor because it offers protection from bullets/knives" arguments pop up again.

Again, Batman does not wear spandex in the comics. Hasn't worn spandex in the comics since the Silver Age. The comic suit is just drawn like spandex because it looks better that way on paper. In the context of the universe, Batman wore fabric - more specifically a special type of fabric armor (yes, fabric armor exists in real life) that offers the same protection the heavy bulky armor does without restricting his movements and speed.

This fabric suit is by no means unrealistic. If anything, it is more realistic than any of the suits so far used in film. Coloring-wise, black-and-grey and blue-and-grey blends in the dark better than all-black. Function-wise, it offers the same level of protection Nolan's bulky armor does without restricting movements and speed. These materials also exist in real life at this point but are expensive (not a problem for Bruce). Even if they didn't, Batman is a genius ahead of his time by a few years. Heck, the entire idea of the Applied Sciences Department in the Nolan films was that it was 10 years ahead of today's tech (ironic considering the bulky armor Batman wore). Realism or not, a fabric suit more like the comics still makes more sense.

There is really no valid argument as to why the bulky armor suit makes more logical or realistic sense than a more comic book fabric-like suit. At least no one is presenting any valid argument. I'm noticing a cycle on here. People come on and explain why a fabric suit would be better than a heavy rubber/armor suit addressing the false premises that people have about the heavy armor, only for those people to literally reply with the exact statements again with still no valid reasons.

"Batman should continue to wear the bulky/heavy armor because it gives him better protection. Spandex wouldn't work."
"It doesn't have to be spandex. Protection is not an issue with fabric suit due to [insert reasons]. Plus the fabric suit would blend better in the dark due to [insert reasons]. Plus it technically makes more sense overall due to [insert reasons]."
"Yeah, Batman should continue to wear the bulky/heavy armor because it gives him better protection. Spandex wouldn't work."
"Again, it doesn't have to be spandex. Batman actually doesn't wear spandex in comics but fabric. Protection is not an issue with fabric suit due to [insert reasons]. Plus the fabric suit would blend better in the dark due to [insert reasons]. Plus it technically makes more sense overall due to [insert reasons]. Here: look at this video/picture of fabric/kevlar suits."
"Yeah, but Batman should continue to wear the bulky/heavy armor because it gives him better protection."
"Once again, forget about spandex. Again, Protection is not an issue with fabric suit due to [insert reasons]. Plus the fabric suit would blend better in the dark due to [insert reasons]. Plus it technically makes more sense overall due to [insert reasons]. Here: look at more video pictures!"

It would be nice to hear some in-depth explanations as to why the bulky armor they've used up till now would work better for the future from the opposing side. I think the "fabric side" (for lack of better term) have provided more than enough reasons as to why the fabric suit would be a better fit. All the "tank" side seems to be doing is repeating statements that have already been debunked.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 09-19-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:42 PM   #766
regwec
Shakespearo

Thanks for making the effort.

Within the next three pages, someone will nevertheless debut with the assertion that "Bats carries NOT wear teh spandex when he fights Supes HE NEEDS TEH ARMOR!!1"

Old 09-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #767
Travesty
TEOL

...but dude, spandex isn't realistic.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #768
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

This entire false notion that it makes more sense for Batman to wear heavy all-black armor makes me feel like a medical student surrounded by other med students that are still studying 1950's medicine to prepare for when they become a doctor. (Not the best analogy, but you get the point).

In a way, I blame the movies for this. All the Batman movies, for that matter. Every single live-action Batman film so far has watered down all of Batman's abilities both physically and mentally. Meanwhile, most other superheroes have had the chance to shine in all their might and glory. Even Superman - the one everyone claims is too overpowered - hasn't had his powers watered down as much as Batman.

The notion that Batman needs high-tech bulky armor exists due to the fact that so many people haven't seen the true Batman on the big screen yet. As does the notion that Batman needs extra protection to keep up with the Centaurians or that it doesn't make sense for him to survive in the Justice League (both things people accept when it comes to Hawkeye and Black Widow, due to those two both being adapted without being watered down).

Old 09-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #769
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I hope he dresses up like Blankman.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 09-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #770
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Here's a thought I saw from another forum. Bats carry diseases so we need to make sure Snyder gives Batfleck the handy Bat-VD medicine for his utility belt because you never know when an outbreak may strike.

Now, if he's too heavily armored he may not be able to treat the problem so quickly!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #771
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Lose the belt and trunks, employ thicker, more plausible (yes there is thin material that can repel bullets, but I want it to "look right") material, and make the shoulder-area wider with subtle paddiing, and there's the suit right here.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:40 AM   #772
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
It's not about how the criminals see him it's how the general audience see him.
Wrong. It's important to the integrity of the character that the suit actually makes sense rather than how cool it looks. The GA is not going to care if he doesn'tlook like Robocop if a reasonable explanation (which would take maybe a minute's worth of exposition) is given as to how the fabric is as protective as heavy armor, but allows Batman the flexibility he needs and is famous for). If they bought the "memory cloth" idea, they'll believe the bulletproof fabric as well, especially considering it's real to begin with.

*splat*
Old 09-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #773
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

The general audience isn't too picky about their costumes, though. I don't think the GA complained about the X-men costumes. As long as the design looks durable, I don't think they'll really care.

But I would. I want black-and-grey, though blue, I heard is more effective at blending in the night.

So yeah, basically anything but THIS in terms of design

Old 09-20-2013, 03:19 AM   #774
SpideyFan866
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
It's funny the mentality that the Burton movies imposed on us regarding the suit.

James Bond has been dodging bullets and using tricks to get out of sticky situations for years - then Batman comes along, and for over 20 years, a lot of people say it's mandatory that he be armoured up to the eyeballs. Mainly because of him being shot twice, just for the sole purpose of imposing and exposing Batman's monstrous myth, that he's not that, an immortal creature, but just a man in body armour.

Sure he wears it in the comics, but not to tge point of making him look and feel like he's msmmy's wrapped him up in cotton wool.

The thing about him being black and hiding in the shadows...he uses his cape for that, whch the films like to ignore.

The big black bat...We're not in that mentality anymore. It's kind of over after 20 year.
Yes, I've been guilty of it myself, but not now.

It's time to stop treating Batman as if he is a pussy with all this cotton wool armour and stuff
This. Plus even in his years of wearing spandex and then fabric armor, Batman has VERY RARELY been shot or stabbed in the comics, so why treat the film versions as a less competent combatant in that regard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
On my phone at the moment and I don't want to spam with page with a post for each person that I respond to, but what I've been seeing for the past few posts is the "Batman should not wear spandex" and "It makes sense to wear bulky heavy black armor because it offers protection from bullets/knives" arguments pop up again.

Again, Batman does not wear spandex in the comics. Hasn't worn spandex in the comics since the Silver Age. The comic suit is just drawn like spandex because it looks better that way on paper. In the context of the universe, Batman wore fabric - more specifically a special type of fabric armor (yes, fabric armor exists in real life) that offers the same protection the heavy bulky armor does without restricting his movements and speed.

This fabric suit is by no means unrealistic. If anything, it is more realistic than any of the suits so far used in film. Coloring-wise, black-and-grey and blue-and-grey blends in the dark better than all-black. Function-wise, it offers the same level of protection Nolan's bulky armor does without restricting movements and speed. These materials also exist in real life at this point but are expensive (not a problem for Bruce). Even if they didn't, Batman is a genius ahead of his time by a few years. Heck, the entire idea of the Applied Sciences Department in the Nolan films was that it was 10 years ahead of today's tech (ironic considering the bulky armor Batman wore). Realism or not, a fabric suit more like the comics still makes more sense.

There is really no valid argument as to why the bulky armor suit makes more logical or realistic sense than a more comic book fabric-like suit. At least no one is presenting any valid argument. I'm noticing a cycle on here. People come on and explain why a fabric suit would be better than a heavy rubber/armor suit addressing the false premises that people have about the heavy armor, only for those people to literally reply with the exact statements again with still no valid reasons.

"Batman should continue to wear the bulky/heavy armor because it gives him better protection. Spandex wouldn't work."
"It doesn't have to be spandex. Protection is not an issue with fabric suit due to [insert reasons]. Plus the fabric suit would blend better in the dark due to [insert reasons]. Plus it technically makes more sense overall due to [insert reasons]."
"Yeah, Batman should continue to wear the bulky/heavy armor because it gives him better protection. Spandex wouldn't work."
"Again, it doesn't have to be spandex. Batman actually doesn't wear spandex in comics but fabric. Protection is not an issue with fabric suit due to [insert reasons]. Plus the fabric suit would blend better in the dark due to [insert reasons]. Plus it technically makes more sense overall due to [insert reasons]. Here: look at this video/picture of fabric/kevlar suits."
"Yeah, but Batman should continue to wear the bulky/heavy armor because it gives him better protection."
"Once again, forget about spandex. Again, Protection is not an issue with fabric suit due to [insert reasons]. Plus the fabric suit would blend better in the dark due to [insert reasons]. Plus it technically makes more sense overall due to [insert reasons]. Here: look at more video pictures!"

It would be nice to hear some in-depth explanations as to why the bulky armor they've used up till now would work better for the future from the opposing side. I think the "fabric side" (for lack of better term) have provided more than enough reasons as to why the fabric suit would be a better fit. All the "tank" side seems to be doing is repeating statements that have already been debunked.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:38 AM   #775
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post

^^^

This, is why I don't don't Batman to wear a fabric (even bullet proof) based costume.

Closed Thread