The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #526
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Hahaha you're all so miserable lol.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #527
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Good! Least we'll be there. Congrats to Woy.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #528
the_ultimate_evil
CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Hahaha you're all so miserable lol.
dude i'm from northern ireland, have you seem our international team i've every ****ing right to be miserable

And so I walk, into the searing light which banishes all darkness, surrendering my face and form to atoms of dust, seeking the true darkness of peace,the cool shadows of eternity and the unknown fate of nothingness
To view my site tumblr dev art twitter
Old 10-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #529
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 10-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #530
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I think it's just impatience from chairmen with a lot of money and lack of knowledge about the game. If you've got a manager destroying your club you need to act quickly but if you're going for someone with a top record you have to give him a season or 2 to adapt and bring in their style & systems. Being impatient only puts you in the same boat of needing another new manager who you will again be impatient with. I don't think it's money that is the problem here, just a lack of football guys as chairmen. If it were any fans like us or ex pros, or even businessman who have been following English football for a few decades with the cash, I doubt it would be happening as much.
I think that's the key factor these days, the people owning most of the clubs look at them as a business and try to operate them as such, but a football club has a lot more moving parts and unpredicat6bility, it can't be treat purely as a business, but many of these owners do just that.

Quote:
Oh I hope not. Already seen injuries dull or ruin the careers of the likes of Shearer and Ronaldo (Brazilian, McDonalds). Torres also I suspect. I was hoping it was just something temporary but I guess we'll find out in a year or 2.
Shearer had that really bad ligament injury didn't he? He was never the same after but modified his game to still be a top striker. Rooney looked pretty quick tonight so I'm back to being puzzled as to where his pace goes at times.

Quote:
I hope Wenger in particular gets a few golden years. Also hope Mourinho sticks around (he adds a lot to the PL just by being there lol) and will be interested to see what Rodgers can do. He needs to hang on to Suarez as there aren't many strikers of that level in the world and I doubt Liverpool could attract any of the others. Also don't want Moyes to do too badly. I don't want any club doing a Utd over the next PL phase but don't want him to fail completely as he doesn't come off as an ******* by usual football person standards.
Well Wenger could be due a second coming as he already had one golden patch! Honestly the PL could become a lot more uncertain each year as things stand, which will be fun for the neutrals and good for the overall spectacle of the league.

Quote:
It is hilarious, just scary that one of the guys running our club is being totally serious when he's saying that stuff lol.
It's like your owner has these moments of clarity then has brain farts like Wise, Kinnear and a 7 year contract for Pardew.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 10-15-2013, 11:22 PM   #531
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Nice to see England qualify with a good attacking performance as opposed to scraping through. I don't think we have much of a chance of getting very far in the World Cup but I always like England to at least be there.
Good that they got there, but yeah...Unless we get damn lucky we aint got a chance of winning it. Quarter finals at best (with a good draw helping pave the way) is my highest expectation.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:44 PM   #532
Harry_Lime02
Concerned Citizen

It should not have been as close as it was. The fact that it took until the last 2 games to beat any of the top 3 teams in the group is pretty bad.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #533
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Good that they got there, but yeah...Unless we get damn lucky we aint got a chance of winning it. Quarter finals at best (with a good draw helping pave the way) is my highest expectation.
Well it could be the most difficult WC we have faced in a while as we apparently wont be seeded to so we could end up in a group with a top side like Germany, Spain, Brazil etc...so a Quarter Final run would be considered a huge success for this cucrrent crop I think.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 AM   #534
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
I think that's the key factor these days, the people owning most of the clubs look at them as a business and try to operate them as such, but a football club has a lot more moving parts and unpredicat6bility, it can't be treat purely as a business, but many of these owners do just that.
Yeah.

Quote:
Shearer had that really bad ligament injury didn't he? He was never the same after but modified his game to still be a top striker. Rooney looked pretty quick tonight so I'm back to being puzzled as to where his pace goes at times.
Yes. He was still a top striker after adapting his game but not quite at the same level. I've never thought that phrase of losing a yard of pace was more appropriate. I could really see the difference and even without that he was still one of the best. Just a shame really as some of that fear factor goes when an athletic defender won't expect him to beat them on pace & sharpness any more and mainly just great physical and mental strength & consistently great finishing ability. It would have become easier for a manager to use tactics to counteract him when he had less strings to his bow, even if those tactics still often weren't enough.

Brazilian Ronaldo is the biggest shame. Who knows how good he would have been. And so far Rooney's having a solid start to the season. I hope injuries haven't affected his long term potential and it is just down to bad training, dietary and other inappropiate habits which can still one day be cured. He obviously needs to get his head sorted and decide where is staying for the rest of his career to get back to his best.

Quote:
Well Wenger could be due a second coming as he already had one golden patch! Honestly the PL could become a lot more uncertain each year as things stand, which will be fun for the neutrals and good for the overall spectacle of the league.
Hopefully, although this team has nothing on the Invincibles just yet. It's a got a tonne of midfield creativity but not especially strong in any other area. And this uncertainty is great. I've always found it strange how a league with so many big clubs turns into a 2 horse and sometimes one horse race. Even when we had a big 4 who were in the CL every season 2 of them would always drop out before the halfway mark. Amazing prospect for neutrals and only made possible by Fergie's retirement.

Quote:
It's like your owner has these moments of clarity then has brain farts like Wise, Kinnear and a 7 year contract for Pardew.
What club can survive that combination?!

Old 10-16-2013, 03:08 AM   #535
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Agreed.

I have no idea why people expect so much of England historically. There are about 9 top teams traditionally in with a fair chance of doing well in any given World Cup of which England is usually one. And when there are that number of teams only the very top 3 or 4 should be expecting anything more than quarter finals. And England are almost never in that elite group. And in recent years they have fallen outside of the 9 even. Quarter finals would be an excellent result now. But even in the past I think we've done well to reach semi-finals & quarter finals. Only the very top teams of a particular era should really be disappointed with not winning it.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #536
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
and here we go again, you can hear the commentators and pundits wanking them selves into a coma all over the uk.

jesus the papers tomorrow will be all over gerrard like the second coming
So true

But not as bad as North American soccer medias talking about the Celtic ever since they beat Barcelona in group stage last year
We don't care, they are still the Glasgow Celtic

Old 10-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #537
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ultimate_evil View Post
and here we go again, you can hear the commentators and pundits wanking them selves into a coma all over the uk.

jesus the papers tomorrow will be all over gerrard like the second coming
That is their job. A sun newspaper columnist even said the other day England being in the world cup and the media hyping the hell out of it sells more newspapers and magazines.

Luckily the average fan on the street doesn't believe the hype.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #538
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
They were raving about him on Revista last week and from what they showed he seems to have all the attributes to be a success in the PL. I recall him from Atletico's cup run last year but he's added more offensive qualities to his game this season.
Here is a perspective, if Koke was playing more defensively last season arguably a similar role to Michael Carrick, Koke created 80 goal scoring chances last season & Michael Carrick created 37..

It is worthwhile noting though that Carrick completed more than double Koke's general passes & had a higher passing accuracy.

What I want first & foremost from any CM we sign is efficiency with passing & while in possession. I want a Xavi, Pirlo or late Scholes like midfielder that will sit in the middle & dictate play in the same manner in which Scholes did for us in his later years & Carrick does now & again.

Basically I'm looking for a backbone. A player that won't hit the headlines for wonder runs or goals, one that will quietly go about dictating the tempo & controlling games. If everything I've been reading about Koke is accurate, he could be a long term answer to the sort of player I feel we need.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #539
kit1982
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_Lime02 View Post
It should not have been as close as it was. The fact that it took until the last 2 games to beat any of the top 3 teams in the group is pretty bad.
I have to ask why it shouldn't have been so close? We're an average side in an average group with a new man in charge. We finished up unbeaten, only conceding 4 goals, Woy has managed to introduce a hell of a lot of new players into the team without fudging results and we played good football when it mattered.
If you take where we were in the Euro's to now, there's been a definite improvement. I fail to see how any of that is bad?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #540
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Dear Mexico,

You're Welcome.

The United States of America.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #541
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Haha awesome!

Are these what Arsenal fans use or did you come up with them yourself? Very impressive either way!
It's a culmination of both really, many are ones that are commonly used amongst the Arsenal fanbase, and some are ones I've come up with too.

Quote:
Well rumours are that Wenger will go for Llorente in January, if he can rediscover his form he'll be a good addition IMO.
I'm wondering if Wenger is going to make an attempt for Lewandowski now, seeing as he has seemingly denied a deal to Bayern is all but done.

Quote:
if Gnarby and The Ox blossom you may finally see Wally sold!
I doubt it, tbh. Wenger really seems to like him for some reason. I can only see him leaving either once he is past his best, or he does a Van Persie/Nasri/Clichy, etc, which he seem pretty close to doing not long ago. I do now wonder if he feels as though he has been knocked off his perch in seemingly thinking he is now the be all, end all of this team. I wouldn't even put him in the same class as Ramsey or Ozil at this moment at least.

Quote:
Does Dex look like an Owl?
I'm curious about this one.
Lol, not really. But he does remind me of him for some reason.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #542
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
It's a culmination of both really, many are ones that are commonly used amongst the Arsenal fanbase, and some are ones I've come up with too.
Well, excellent work. This needs to go into the Arsenal constitution!

Quote:
I'm wondering if Wenger is going to make an attempt for Lewandowski now, seeing as he has seemingly denied a deal to Bayern is all but done.
This would make sense. Would like to see what he could do in the PL.

Quote:
I doubt it, tbh. Wenger really seems to like him for some reason. I can only see him leaving either once he is past his best, or he does a Van Persie/Nasri/Clichy, etc, which he seem pretty close to doing not long ago. I do now wonder if he feels as though he has been knocked off his perch in seemingly thinking he is now the be all, end all of this team. I wouldn't even put him in the same class as Ramsey or Ozil at this moment at least.
Walcott is nowhere near Ozil & Ramsey at the moment. When did he start thinking he was the main man at the Emirates? He's never been that and I thought he was still just fighting to be a permanent regular starter.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #543
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Dear Mexico,

You're Welcome.

The United States of America.

Are Americans happy that they saved Mexico's World Cup chances?

Old 10-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #544
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Yes. He was still a top striker after adapting his game but not quite at the same level. I've never thought that phrase of losing a yard of pace was more appropriate. I could really see the difference and even without that he was still one of the best. Just a shame really as some of that fear factor goes when an athletic defender won't expect him to beat them on pace & sharpness any more and mainly just great physical and mental strength & consistently great finishing ability. It would have become easier for a manager to use tactics to counteract him when he had less strings to his bow, even if those tactics still often weren't enough.
I first heard the term "lost a yard" when Shearer came back from that injury as his burst of pace off the mark that terrified defenders was gone, thankfully for him he still had so many other attributes that he remained one of the PL's most proficient strikers. Unfortunately for many that is not the case and the loss of pace really dulls their effectiveness.

Quote:
Brazilian Ronaldo is the biggest shame. Who knows how good he would have been. And so far Rooney's having a solid start to the season. I hope injuries haven't affected his long term potential and it is just down to bad training, dietary and other inappropiate habits which can still one day be cured. He obviously needs to get his head sorted and decide where is staying for the rest of his career to get back to his best.
It's amazing that despite the massive injury setbacks Brazilian Ronaldo suffered, he is still considered by many to be one of the greatest striekrs of all time. It would certainly be interesting to see what Rooney produces when he finally makes his mind up about his future.

Quote:
Hopefully, although this team has nothing on the Invincibles just yet. It's a got a tonne of midfield creativity but not especially strong in any other area. And this uncertainty is great. I've always found it strange how a league with so many big clubs turns into a 2 horse and sometimes one horse race. Even when we had a big 4 who were in the CL every season 2 of them would always drop out before the halfway mark. Amazing prospect for neutrals and only made possible by Fergie's retirement.
I think if you look at most leagues there tends to be a period in a season where a couple of teams hit great form and split off from the pack, I guess it's just the nature of the sport.

Quote:
What club can survive that combination?!
Well you're still standing! Do you see Ashley selling at the first opportunity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Here is a perspective, if Koke was playing more defensively last season arguably a similar role to Michael Carrick, Koke created 80 goal scoring chances last season & Michael Carrick created 37..

It is worthwhile noting though that Carrick completed more than double Koke's general passes & had a higher passing accuracy.

What I want first & foremost from any CM we sign is efficiency with passing & while in possession. I want a Xavi, Pirlo or late Scholes like midfielder that will sit in the middle & dictate play in the same manner in which Scholes did for us in his later years & Carrick does now & again.

Basically I'm looking for a backbone. A player that won't hit the headlines for wonder runs or goals, one that will quietly go about dictating the tempo & controlling games. If everything I've been reading about Koke is accurate, he could be a long term answer to the sort of player I feel we need.
To add to this I read that his creation stats are so high as he's been playing on the right side of midfield as more of an attacker, there seems to be a general uncertainty over what his position is, or at least what his best position is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Last night during the England vs Poland game the commentator said that Guaridola has apparently cooled on Lewandwoski so if there's an opening I could see Wenger going for him.

Quote:
I imagine the arrival of Ozil has maybe let some air out of Walcott's balloon and I could see Wenger viewing him more as an impact sub this season, which could see Walcott want to leave, and that would be your cue to drive down to The Emirates and offer him a lift.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #545
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
I first heard the term "lost a yard" when Shearer came back from that injury as his burst of pace off the mark that terrified defenders was gone, thankfully for him he still had so many other attributes that he remained one of the PL's most proficient strikers. Unfortunately for many that is not the case and the loss of pace really dulls their effectiveness.
It would really affect pace-reliant player like Owen (probably already did) & Walcott. Those kind of players aren't suited to playing far into their 30s while guys like Sheringham whose game is more focused around their football brain than physical abilities tend to not get much worse as they age.

Quote:
It's amazing that despite the massive injury setbacks Brazilian Ronaldo suffered, he is still considered by many to be one of the greatest striekrs of all time. It would certainly be interesting to see what Rooney produces when he finally makes his mind up about his future.
Yeah, really it must be mentally very difficult when you know you are permanently worse than you were probably through no fault of your own (unlike Gazza's tackle for eg) even if you are still among the world's best. You may have been able to be the best.

Rooney's talent is so rare in English players. I really hope he can deliver on all that promise he showed for the country as a 16 year old before his time is up.

Quote:
I think if you look at most leagues there tends to be a period in a season where a couple of teams hit great form and split off from the pack, I guess it's just the nature of the sport.
Many other leagues have a smaller number of clubs who have dominated for a longer time. I really think the PL is (or at least has become) different and it was only Fergie's X-factor that distorted natural competition. Moyes is ideal for neutrals as he should still be good enough to keep Utd at the level of the other big clubs without being totally dominant.

Quote:
Well you're still standing! Do you see Ashley selling at the first opportunity?
I think the 1st opportunity has come and gone. Who knows why he didn't sell earlier. He's now been with the club through a relegation, subsequent promotion and a couple of good seasons before returning to mediocrity again. Either before all that or after those good seasons following a relegation would have been the time to sell if he really wanted out. Maybe he likes the abuse!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #546
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Are Americans happy that they saved Mexico's World Cup chances?
Personally? I'm not. I always love to see Mexico knocked down a peg or two. But its fun to hold that over them.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #547
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

If this is how the UK media treat Roy after we get to the world cup.... I shudder to think what they'd have done had we missed out...

Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #548
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I remember when Beckham got a red card in world cup 98 and the next day the press had pictures of Beckham effigy hangings.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #549
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I remember when Beckham got a red card in world cup 98 and the next day the press had pictures of Beckham effigy hangings.
Yes but weren't they just pictures & reporting of what actual "fans" had done. Not like the press made the effigies themselves lol. England fans were terrible after Beckham and also after the penalty shootout misses of years gone by although more recent penalty shootout misses don't really seem to get remembered as much for some reason. At least Pearce has since proven that he deserved all the abuse anyway.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #550
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
To add to this I read that his creation stats are so high as he's been playing on the right side of midfield as more of an attacker, there seems to be a general uncertainty over what his position is, or at least what his best position is.
My understanding of the situation is that he is in a similar situation to Phil Jones, while Koke has played at CM, RB, LW, RW for club & country it's widely recognized that CM is his home & where he will end up settling in the same sense that Phil Jones is known to have a long term future at CB as opposed to RB & CDM.

If I recall correctly I believe I'd seen Xavi play as a RM on several occasions when he was coming up & in his early 20's as well. This was when Barcelona, also ironically, at that time had deep CM with the likes of Motta, Cocu, Riquelme & Mendieta to name a few.

Closed Thread