The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #626
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
They certainly sat back to hit on the counter and it did pay off, but I felt they really were under the thumb for most of the second half. I can certainly understand not wanting Bendtner as a back-up as he's awful, but if you buy another top striker it becomes hard for you to play Wenger's preferred system and keep everyone happy, look at how we are struggling to play a modern style and accommodate Rooney and RvP.
Yeah. We're definately getting better defensively, but probably still not completely there yet. I still feel we could do with another WC striker. Regardless, of how good Giroud is right now, I still wouldn't class him as top tier, and if he gets an injury we have no one. Bendtner doesn't count, imo, the only reason Wenger kept him in the end despite trying to get rid of him was because we have no other real option to back-up Giroud.

Quote:
Gotta disagree there mate, Lewandowski is crafty and I think it was an intential shot, if Konscielny makes a meal of it insatead of just holding his face then he rightfully gets sent off IMO, kinda plays into the mindset of some that back players making the most of situations. Lol, Gundogan is injured actually.
Yeah, you're probably right. I've grown to just pass off everytime something like this happens, as almost everytime we get a legit foul the old 'Same old Arsenal, always cheating!' s**t breaks out, even when our player is legit injured and the foul by the oppsition is evident.

Lol, that's just the cover story.

Quote:
This is ripe for thought bubble manips!
Heh...they both look as though they'd like nothing more than to throttle him.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #627
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Great goals.

Maybe he loses out to the likes of Ronaldo on consistency & always looking like a lazy bastard!
I think it's got more to do with the fact that he's an outspoken and controversial figure. Because consistency-wise, he's been among the best in Europe, scoring 20+ goals during the past 3 or 4 seasons. He's not scored as much as Messi and Ronaldo during that time, but you can't deny he's made some essential and decisive contributions wherever he's played.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #628
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
I think it's got more to do with the fact that he's an outspoken and controversial figure. Because consistency-wise, he's been among the best in Europe, scoring 20+ goals during the past 3 or 4 seasons. He's not scored as much as Messi and Ronaldo during that time, but you can't deny he's made some essential and decisive contributions wherever he's played.
He's a great player no doubt, one of the very best. But if you're comparing a striker against 2 players who can play just as well from midfield and have at least as much as skill as him and who score a lot more than him every season, he's going to struggle to beat them. I mean it's annoying when the likes of Gareth Bale are promoted to 3rd best player in the world in the media after a couple of good seasons when you have class players like Ibra around who have been doing it for years but most Ibra supporters seem to choose Messi or Ronaldo when it comes to deciding on the very best player. And I think most people who had the chance of signing one of the 3 would go for one of the other 2 at the same price.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #629
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Oh I think Baines is very good, but by the time we bought him he'd be close to 30, I'd rather we went for Contreao or Luke Shaw.
Right.

Quote:
Oh there is room to grow for sure, and I think VP mentioned that Wenger felt positionally he needs to improve defensively, but the attributes for a great CM are all there.
Yeah, Arsenal's a great place for him to be to develop into a top well rounded player.

Quote:
Yeah, I'd say Eto'o will likely be a one season only thing, and I can't see Rooney's fences being mended at Untied.
I geuss Eto'o goes to some retirement football league, or actually retires soon. Certainly not the player he once was. So you think odds on Rooney out this summer? If he's going to go, best for him and possibly the club (if they can replace him) for him to go earlier while Utd can still get a good price and while he has time to make his mark somewhere else before he starts losing it.

Quote:
RvPis just turned 30. Yeah we need to add some really top quality in the summer or we will fall behind to a point where things will become very difficult to overturn.
5 years of top level VP would be awesome. Hopefully you get lucky with injuries on him.

Quote:
Argentina have looked uncertain when I've seen them, I think the coaches they have had don't know quite how to use Messi as Barca's team is built around him and it's harder to do that with an International set up.
I need to see an Argentina (1st) team sheet to judge a bit better. What a problem to have! I think you guys would be ok with dealing with that problem lol.

Quote:
Do you think he overestimated his own level after that one really good season that got him the silly 7 year contract?
Of course

Old 10-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #630
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/f...6919--sow.html
If Ibrahimovich is looked over for being controversial and outspoken then Robben is looked over for being a ****!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #631
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

*many loud curses and some extremely naughty words*

Old 10-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #632
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Utd already behind!

Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #633
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

This is embarrassing.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #634
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Utd still 2-1 down.

Liverpool 3-1 up against West Brom.

Everton beating VIlla 1-0 away (would go 3rd!)

And Arsenal beat Palace 2-0 even with Arteta getting sent off.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #635
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Comeback!

Rooney & Hernandez score to make it 3-2.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #636
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

United should never have been in a position to have to comeback against Stoke.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 10-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #637
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

True. But at least it shows some of that old Utd of finishing strong and grabbing late wins is still there.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #638
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Good to get 3 points but another poor performance, our midfield is utterly woeful and offers nothing going forward and doesn't cover the CB's nearly well enough, it's why we get ran on constantly. Rooney played well, Kagawa and Nani were anonymous, Moyes made the right call with his subs today.

Good win for Arsenal today, maybe not as slick as recent wins but they showed good mental strength when they went a man down.

Southampton are looking very impressive against Fulham right now.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 10-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #639
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Nani was woeful.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #640
DrRocket
Side-Kick

Brilliant from Liverpool today, best performance this season in my opinion. Suarez was motm, stunning goal from Sturridge, good defending, and now bring on Arsenal!

Old 10-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #641
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Yeah. We're definately getting better defensively, but probably still not completely there yet. I still feel we could do with another WC striker. Regardless, of how good Giroud is right now, I still wouldn't class him as top tier, and if he gets an injury we have no one. Bendtner doesn't count, imo, the only reason Wenger kept him in the end despite trying to get rid of him was because we have no other real option to back-up Giroud.
I definitely think you need another quality striker as even though you only use one you need at least 3 options in the squad, but I guess Podolski could cover as the 3rd option? I just think if you drop 40M on a striker then Giroud will become disillusioned with all the bench time, it's very hard to balance the single striker role that's why even Real only have 2 and 1 of those is Morata, a youth team product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Yeah, Arsenal's a great place for him to be to develop into a top well rounded player.
Without a doubt, Wenger's faith in giving young players a real chance is one of his greatest attributes.

Quote:
I geuss Eto'o goes to some retirement football league, or actually retires soon. Certainly not the player he once was. So you think odds on Rooney out this summer? If he's going to go, best for him and possibly the club (if they can replace him) for him to go earlier while Utd can still get a good price and while he has time to make his mark somewhere else before he starts losing it.
I just can't see him signing a new contract, too much water under the bridge and prospects perhaps looking rosier elsewhere, the big stumbling block will be if wishes to stay in the PL, I wonder how far we'll go with trying to prevent that as with him being in the last year of his contract next season we'd be on the verge of losing him for nothing.

Quote:
5 years of top level VP would be awesome. Hopefully you get lucky with injuries on him.
Fingers crossed lol. I don't think he's been fully fit yet this season but he's still deadly in front of goal.

Quote:
I need to see an Argentina (1st) team sheet to judge a bit better. What a problem to have! I think you guys would be ok with dealing with that problem lol.
Yeah, I'm sure most managers wouldn't mind the Messi conundrum! I just think it can be difficult when you then have to push everyone else out of position to accommodate one player, it works at Barca because they train in that distinct system week in and week out but International teams only come together for a week to ten days once every couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Nani was woeful.
Yeah, very wasteful even though he did set up the first goal. It's even more worrying that our best attacking CM performance this season came from Giggs on Wednesday, Cleverley really looks short on ideas when he gets the ball.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Last edited by Hunter Rider; 10-26-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #642
B
[insert witty comment]

Good to get the win today, the performance somewhat mirrored what we've been like all season though. Against teams we should take control of possession against & control the game, we don't, we tend to try & play them blow for blow, end to end.. which isn't going to win us the title. Against teams like Stoke, we need to remain disciplined & focused for 90 minutes.

The Match of The Day highlights amused me, you would think watching the footage & listening to Hansen that Stoke were by far the better team. However in reality, Stoke had the better opening 45 minutes & we had the better ending 45 minutes. We got what we had deserved after piling on the pressure & basically adopting a shoot on sight philosophy in the 2nd half.

I do however agree with Hansen's assessment on Cleverley, he was woeful all afternoon. I surmise he was chosen ahead of Fellaini as he is better with the ball at his feet & tends to be good with his distribution.. however he had a bad game & because he had a bad game, he was a liability in the middle. He couldn't pass more than 3ft in front of him & he is, as he always is, defensively suspect. If I was the manager I'd have whipped Fellaini on at half time.

I'd also have subbed Nani who despite fans calling out for him to be played a few weeks ago, actually received some jeers leaving the pitch when he was hauled off for his 2nd **** game in a row. I surmise, most of the jeers though were for the fact that when the team is struggling or trailing in a game, the fans don't want to see someone flailing about on the floor after receiving a perfectly legitimate shoulder charge, not too mention he is very wasteful with possession & doesn't come back.

Kagawa had a very passive game, struggled to get room to really make things happen going forward, however he shouldn't find his place under treat to Ashley Young on the left because even on a somewhat off day for him creative wise, he still managed to keep moving all afternoon in a somewhat of a free role, kept the ball well, I believe he averaged something like 90% passing accuracy & it was his drifting infield that allowed Evra the space for the cross.

Evans was poor today, seemed unusually positionally inept today & lost alot of aerial battles with Crouch too easily. Smalling was rinsed on the right by Arnautovic but that's what happens when you play a centre back at right back when you've Rafael sitting on the bench.

Januzaj looked good when he came on, him & Valencia made an immediate impact.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #643
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Newcastle losing 1-0 in the derby to Sunderland.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #644
kit1982
Side-Kick

2 sides playing 4-4-2....brings a tear to my eye!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:21 AM   #645
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Cabaye is lucky to still be on.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #646
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

1-1 now...

Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #647
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Nice!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #648
kit1982
Side-Kick

what a finish by Borini, never thought I'd say that!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #649
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I was saying to my Dad that Poyet should have brought Giaccherini on not Borini, but what a strike!

Old 10-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #650
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Sucks.

But I thought Sunderland might get something today. Since Di Canio's exit they've looked good & more spirited even in defeat. Certainly much better than the likes of Palace. I think they have enough to get out of relegation by the end of the season.

Closed Thread