The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #51
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Well we got 3 points, our shape looks decent but the lack of invention up top is worrying, I'd swear Valencia and Young are robots. Still, when Janzuaj came on we got a glimpse at a hopefully brighter future for our attack.

Anderson was extra crappy today so Fellaini coming on suited even me. I thought he kept it simple, passed it reasonably well and showed a positional understanding next to Carrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Petrol View Post
Oh yes! I still can't believe Wenger actually did it...

C....co....congrats mate! ...................

Quote:
I agree. However, I've heard that Real offered Benzema to Wenger on two occassions this summer, but Le Prof rejected them both times.
Maybe Wenger feels he's peaked and has failed to develop as many thought he would.

Quote:
Yeah, I'd like to see that, but I get what you mean about having to play Rooney there.
The problem with Rooney in the #10 role is that he isn't one, he's a second striker but lacks the vision and short game and ball control to be a proper #10

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 09-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #52
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Newcastle hold out for 2-1 against Villa.

Arsenal finish 3-1 against Sunderland.

Spurs 2-0 agaimst Norwich.

But City drop 2 points at Stoke 0-0.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #53
kit1982
Side-Kick

I'm sure Joe Kinnear will be telling everyone tonight that Newcastle are on the same points as City!

Old 09-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #54
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
C....co....congrats mate! ...................

Thanks mate.

Quote:
Maybe Wenger feels he's peaked and has failed to develop as many thought he would.
Possibly, or he may think he could turn out to be more trouble than he's worth.

Quote:
The problem with Rooney in the #10 role is that he isn't one, he's a second striker but lacks the vision and short game and ball control to be a proper #10
Yeah, true. Still with Moyes seemingly opting to play a 4-4-2, there seems a good chance the two can be accomodated in the team together. Although that would probably mean no Kagawa.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:13 PM   #55
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Ramsey has been immense so far. Maybe Le Prof was right about him eventually evolving into a Lampard-like player once he started adding goals to his game.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #56
B
[insert witty comment]

Meh, was an average performance today. Palace came to park the bus, they had limited possession & I don't recall them even testing De Gea once. That being said, United dominated possession & had very little good attempts on goal to show for it. Largely this is down to Young & Valencia, although to be fair to the latter, he did brighten up the last 25 mins or so after Young had went off.

Speaking off Young, we need to bench that diving mother****er. That yellow card he got for diving was completely & utterly justified. I can tolerate someone going down softly perhaps looking for a penalty & turn a blind eye to it now & again, however Young knew completely what he was doing, he actually kicked the Palace defender's leg on purpose to give himself an excuse for going over & it was expertly spotted by the referee. Really disgraceful, now if that was Nani, Ronaldo, Suarez or any foreign player we wouldn't hear the end of it. The penalty though was a foul for me, questionable whether it was in or out of the box, if the referee is giving a foul in that situation regardless of the position, it has to be a red as Young was clean through on goal.

Anderson was poor, I think he has lost the 1 thing that made him still have a glimmer of potential. His energy & fitness. He looks like he's spent the summer stuffing his face with burgers, doesn't want the ball from the defence or when under pressure.. looks like I was wrong about him, he is useless.

Once both of them went off, we were much more threatening going forward, Felliani coming on gave Carrick a little more freedom to push a little higher up & with his passing range he was spreading Palace about & feeding the ball into dangerous areas to RVP & Rooney, both of whom had been feeding off scraps from the likes of Anderson, Young & to a lesser extent Valencia.

The real star of the show though was Januzaj, came off the bench for the last 25/20 mins & looked more threatening going forward in those 20 minutes, than Ashley Young had the rest of the game. He really impressed me in his brief cameo, his link up play with Rooney & Evra in particular was fantastic. Looks very promising, we should make sure to tie this one down so it doesn't turn into another Pogba situation.

I want to see Felliani & Carrick start together in the CL, I want Young benched & I don't want to see the diving scumbags face until after the City game.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #57
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Frustrating 'one of the games' for Chelsea (Everton's luck was in when in mattered, ours wasn't).

Eto'o's pace was (as expected) rather poor but he still got and missed 2 good chances, and we missed a few other good ones as well. Everton's goal was as much luck as it was judgement. They just blindly lobbed it about the box hoping someone in blue could get on the end of if and they did.

And I think Barry would have had to decapitate someone tonight to have got a booking off Webb. The man was fouling constantly, a few bad ones too, but never more than a talking to. One of ours does one dodgy foul, out comes that yellow quick time. Typical Webb...

Ah well, just not our night in the end

Old 09-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #58
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Is Nani hurt?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 09-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #59
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

Not sure how Luiz managed not to get himself sent off in the second half...

Also, someone should mention to Hazard that he's only meant to tackle players from the other team...

Only seen the young penalty call via a craptastic screenshot from Robbie Savages twitter account.... And he was outside the box. Did he dive? Probably... Will have to watch MOTD to see more.

Nice to see Ninja Rooney getting his 198th goal...

Old 09-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #60
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Rooney's free kick was just amazing! His flick to Van Persie in the first half was great it's shame RVP didn't score that.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #61
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kit1982 View Post
I'm sure Joe Kinnear will be telling everyone tonight that Newcastle are on the same points as City!
Probably!

And I didn't realise Chelsea lost today.

Arsenal top after Ozil's 1st game!

Old 09-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #62
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

I presume this has been seen by everyone, but I came across it again today, and I couldn't stop laughing...

Old 09-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #63
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

LMAO! I wonder who that was.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 09-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #64
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Lol, I've never seen that. The facial expression is classic.

Jus saw the highlights of Arsenal Sunderland. Ozil's 1st touch & 1st ball were great to set up Giroud. Looks like Giroud & Ramsey played well too. If Giroud continues this form who knows what Arsenal can do. He is a key player now being the only striker and the whole club's success will depend on how he does. There's no doubt more than enough creativity behind him with Wilshere, Ramsey, Cazorla, Walcott & now Ozil.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #65
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

The ref really messed up the call over the disallowed goal for 'advantage' ... He blew far too early and had that goal been allowed, then it would have made the game really interesting.

Whoever was the ref in our game dropped a similar sized clanger today. Not sure on the Evra call as the replays were rubbish on MOTD, but he called the yellow for young right.... Then completely ****ed up the penalty call.

You can see he wasn't sure, so he asked the linesman, who said he had no clear view.... So he gave it... And yes, it was nice to get decent Fantasy footie points for RvP today, but that wasn't a penalty and certainly not a red. Glad to see that Moyes wasn't happy either. young is a liability & should go in January IMHO

Beautiful Free Kick from Rooney though.... Or the ninja as he was today.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #66
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

That Eriksen guy looks amazing for Spurs. Great touches, great skills & very effective gameplay. Will definitely be watching him this season.

ANd yes, great free kick by Rooney. I think he's going to surprise people and have a very good season. I see him as the key Utd player given downplayed expectations. VP we have to expect will deliver the goods.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #67
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Old 09-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #68
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Quote:
Thanks mate.
You're welcome. I'm sure my jealousy will subside. I saw he started onm the left today, that's the beauty if these versatile attackers over old fashioned wingers.

Quote:
Possibly, or he may think he could turn out to be more trouble than he's worth.
I think that may be it as his attitude has always been suspect.

Quote:
Yeah, true. Still with Moyes seemingly opting to play a 4-4-2, there seems a good chance the two can be accomodated in the team together. Although that would probably mean no Kagawa.
I'm hoping Moyes will gradually steer us away from that as he didn't play at Everton, but it's difficult as he was llumped with 3 old style wingers through no choice of his own, the fact he got Nani to sign a new contract gives me hope that he sees the changes needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
That Eriksen guy looks amazing for Spurs. Great touches, great skills & very effective gameplay. Will definitely be watching him this season.
A steal at 12M when you consider we paid 17M for Zaha.

Quote:
Little Le Proff! D

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 09-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #69
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
A steal at 12M when you consider we paid 17M for Zaha.
United only paid 10m for Zaha, there is 5m more depending on appearances, goals, assists & success for both United/England.

12m for Eriksen is a good deal though, he'll need a few years though to see where he is really at/going to go. He has looked out of his depth against higher calibre midfield/defenders in the CL, but he certainly looked promising against Norwich none the less.

He's on a similar boat to Zaha dare I say it, it will take a few years over development of both to see if they are the real deal, but in my view both are worth the 10m risk given that they could both become 20m men inside a few years if they continue to progress.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #70
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Saga needs to hit the weights Altidore out muscled way to easy.

Ozil was a boss. We really really need to keep our players fit if we want to win stuff this season. The season has only begun and already players have started dropping like flies.

Walcott finishing seems to have gotten worst for some reason.

Fergie already warned Young about diving and now Moyes has as well. I don't know why Young does it as it doesn't even look like a convincing foul when he does.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #71
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

Quote:
You're welcome. I'm sure my jealousy will subside. I saw he started onm the left today, that's the beauty if these versatile attackers over old fashioned wingers.
Yeah, Wenger has always preferred these types of midfielders as opposed to out and out wingers. They're always interchanging throughout the match.

Quote:
I think that may be it as his attitude has always been suspect.
Yeah, I'm not really keen on him being brought in at all anymore.

Quote:
I'm hoping Moyes will gradually steer us away from that as he didn't play at Everton, but it's difficult as he was llumped with 3 old style wingers through no choice of his own, the fact he got Nani to sign a new contract gives me hope that he sees the changes needed.
Yeah, the old 4-4-2 formation really seem to have become something of the past now. I do feel Eriksen could have been a great signing for you guys, but hopefully Kagawa will be getting more game time soon.

Quote:
Little Le Proff! D

Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #72
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Has Zaha been playing?

And I like having that versatility as well with guys who can play multiple positions at a high standard (rather than just covering). Means you can get away with a smaller (but higher quality) squad rather than doubling up on every position.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #73
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Southampton is a funny team. They play all this beautiful football but the end product is crosses into the box.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #74
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
United only paid 10m for Zaha, there is 5m more depending on appearances, goals, assists & success for both United/England.

12m for Eriksen is a good deal though, he'll need a few years though to see where he is really at/going to go. He has looked out of his depth against higher calibre midfield/defenders in the CL, but he certainly looked promising against Norwich none the less.

He's on a similar boat to Zaha dare I say it, it will take a few years over development of both to see if they are the real deal, but in my view both are worth the 10m risk given that they could both become 20m men inside a few years if they continue to progress.
You're right, I'd heard a few different prices given. I don't think they are in similar boats though, Eriksen is far more gifted and experienced, Zaha is still a park player, a loan would probably do him good, Eriksen will be effective for Spurs this season IMO.

Quote:
Yeah, Wenger has always preferred these types of midfielders as opposed to out and out wingers. They're always interchanging throughout the match.
Yeah, he pretty much started the switch to inside wingers with Pires. So how do you see your ideal set up this season as regards your CM and trio in behind Giroud.?

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not really keen on him being brought in at all anymore.
If Giroud delivers a 25 goal season would you be happy with quality competition brought in as opposed to a World class replacement?

Quote:
Yeah, the old 4-4-2 formation really seem to have become something of the past now. I do feel Eriksen could have been a great signing for you guys, but hopefully Kagawa will be getting more game time soon.
It's archaic, watching Young and Valencia put cross after cross in yesterday had me going spare. At 12M I'd certainly have taken him as a good, versatile option, Zaha should never have been signed when we knew a new manager was coming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Has Zaha been playing?

And I like having that versatility as well with guys who can play multiple positions at a high standard (rather than just covering). Means you can get away with a smaller (but higher quality) squad rather than doubling up on every position.
Zaha hasn't played yet in the PL, he was on the bench yesterday.

Yeah the versatile creators in behind the striker is such a big and exciting part of the modern game and we missed out on every one that has moved in the last few years bar Kagawa, and given how we have wasted him so far who knows if we can attract another.

Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #75
kit1982
Side-Kick

You have to laugh at Palace, Steve Parish coming out and having a go at Ashley Young, saying divers should be sent off when Palace "won" 13 penalties last season including this gem

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: