The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age of Ultron

Old 04-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #1
tacit-ronin-
Flashes on a train

Default should there be a video game adaptation.

remember when most of the comic book movies had a licensed game released with it, spider-man 2 had one and x-men 3 also had one which I liked better than the movie. I think that with the right developer and good game play mechanics there could be a good avengers video game.

tacit-ronin- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
MakeMinesMarvel
Side-Kick

Default Re: should there be a video game adaptation.

If anyone can download some of the old games so fun to play at the movies before the previews start. Marvel War of the Gems is great Spidey Hulk Cap Iron Man Wolverine vs Thanos its so great

MakeMinesMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I'd love a game, especially by a Rocksteady, Insomniac, Naughty dog or the like.

Unfortunately, we'll probably just get some crap mobile game.

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Drizzle
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

We haven't had a MCU tie-in game since the first "Captain America", and none of them were particularly good. I would love to see a great game revolving around The Avengers films in particular. Maybe someday...

Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

I liked the Captain America game. Nothing award winning but it was a solid movie tie in.

We almost had a proper Avengers game (not that Kinect nonsense), but it went down with THQ's ship. In case anyone isn't already aware, here's a demo reel of what we almost got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R84svZiVrmU

(yeah, YT wrap doesn't seem to be working for me)

CoherentChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

The problem with any movie tie in game is they just normally don't have the proper amount of time to crank out a solid game. I'd much rather prefer a game developed independently of a movie that could still be set in the MCU but not have much if any effect on canon. Kinda like how the last Spider Man game was set in the Sony universe but it just had little nods and winks to the movies but playing wouldn't be required to understand the next movie. There is a plethora of villains and story lines that could be used that wouldn't take away from the movies and an added benefite is even if they use someone that gets put in a movie down the line it's not like they cast an actual actor to play it. If I can't get that then I would just love a good solid Marvel game featuring the Avengers and it would be even better if it featured multi-player so you could game out with your friends

Old 04-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
tacit-ronin-
Flashes on a train

marvel has revealed that they have movies planned up to 2028. so if they have a developer begin production on a tie-in game early on, then it probably won't be bad like most of them are. since it's not going to be rushed for a film's release.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #8
gugumugats
SKIDOOOOOSH!!

I just replay Ultimate Alliance 2 with Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor.

Really feels like an Avengers game.

Dr. Walter Bishop: Oh - That's too bad. You'll have to shock her heart then.

-FRINGE
gugumugats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:58 AM   #9
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

Movie games are all but dead on consoles, I think 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' will be one of the last major console movie games. There'll probably be a s*** tier mobile game about the movie though.

I really wish Marvel would get its act together regarding games; animation & video games are the area where DC is absolutely trouncing Marvel in.

Marvel had the upper hand in animation for a little bit with Wolverine & the X-Men/Spectacular Spider-Man/Avengers: EMH (their 3 best shows IMO), but they all got canceled before their time.

Marvel started out the 360/PS3 generation pretty well with the likes of the MUA games, MvC3, X-Men Origins: Wolverine & a few others; but DC finished the generation with great games like the Batman: Arkham series & Injustice.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 AM   #10
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

Since Disney bought Marvel, we're only ever had mobile games. They clearly think that's where their business lies.

What annoys me is that they tell stories around the central plot which are utterly non-canon

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:35 AM   #11
Six
Six Six Six

Marvel have been failing miserably in the video game department. They should be getting competent studios to make standalone video games. Those SEGA Iron Man games are horrid.

Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:12 AM   #12
Silvermoth
Avenger

There should but I think marvel will cheap out again. If only there was a feige of the video game world

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #13
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

I really hope there is one.

Hell, even something simple like a fighting game based on the MCU characters would be great

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Imagine a roster like this

Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Hulk
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Scarlet Witch
Quicksilver
War Machine
Falcon
Nick Fury
Vision
Loki
Red Skull
Abomination
Whiplash
Chitauri
Aldrich Killian
Malekith
Kurse
Crossbones
Winter Soldier
Von Strucker
Ultron

DLC:
Ant-Man
Graviton
Agent Coulson
Thanos

Last edited by BatsDC; 04-08-2014 at 09:59 AM.
BatsDC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoherentChaos View Post
I liked the Captain America game. Nothing award winning but it was a solid movie tie in.

We almost had a proper Avengers game (not that Kinect nonsense), but it went down with THQ's ship. In case anyone isn't already aware, here's a demo reel of what we almost got.

I've never seen that before! That's awesome!!! I don't even like FPS games, but I'd play that. The finishers were quite cool, and while some of those characters work a lot better as FPS than others, it's cool and original in an awesome way.

I think a big time Avengers game is a huge project because the gameplay between characters is naturally so different. Playing Captain America should feel very different from playing Hulk, even though they're both just jumping, punching and throwing things. Iron Man and Thor should have those options too, plus additional great abilities, but still be balanced with Cap and Hulk.

And this is without including anyone else as playable.

I'd try it this way. Everyone has the same basic core gameplay. Move along the ground, melee attacks, jumping/dodging, blocking, grabbing and a ranged attack, all handled on the face buttons. Every character has something significant on top of that.

For Hulk, he just has all that turned up to 11 with regeneration, with his ranged attacking being ripping up part of the ground or whatever object he's picked up.

For Captain America, whose ranged attack is the shield, with all those cool properties, he'd have the ability to call in/summon backup such as Hawkeye/Black Widow/Falcon/Agent 13 to help with the attack, much like you can call in back up in the Assassin's Creed or Saint's Row franchises. He'd also have an incredible block and advanced melee combos chains not unlike an Arkham Batman.

For Iron Man, in addition to his basic repulsor blast attack, he'd have a host of gadgets and secondary weapons available to him, as well as his jump being flight when you hold it down, allowing him to hover and if need be convert into speed flight mode to get across the battlefield quickly for additional objectives.

For Thor, he'd be more of a balanced character. He'd have some advanced melee, but not much. He'd have some secondary attack types like 'gadgets' from his hammer, but really only a couple, he'd be really strong like Hulk, but not in a way that escalates as the battle goes on. Even his flight would be more of a super jump that he can guide a bit by pointing his hammer where he wants to go.

Then what items they can interact with contextually is different. Thor can work alien tech, Hulk can work things that need to be smashed hard, Iron Man can work Earth tech and Rogers can work people, so to speak.

That game would take a LOT of work, because after you work on four very different, almost specialized characters, you still have to make a world. You can't really adapt the Avengers movie because that comes down to really 2-3 battles... one of which is between the heroes (would love to see a vs battle pop up in the middle of a co-op game, that could be really fun).

The youtube clip game had a great idea, dealing with the secret invasin/super skrull storyline, that could be a really cool starting place. It also might be cool to revisit storylines from the previous MCU stories, similar to how Agents of SHIELD does it. Say, another armor of Extremis soldiers, or a resurgent HYDRA, or Justin Hammer's Hammertech, or something something Ten Rings or The Ice Giants attack Midgard again or Dark Elves remnants return, or y'know, pretty much anything cool could be it's own separately level, and woven together in those kinds of video game Masters of Evil type stories.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #15
hoy-small-fry
It's a dance-off bro!

You're all thinking of Lego Marvel - it's setup as a direct sequel to Avengers anyway

Coulson: "Sir?"
Fury: "You don't have to call me sir, Coulson. Look at me. I'm dressed like I live under a bridge."
hoy-small-fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I've never seen that before! That's awesome!!! I don't even like FPS games, but I'd play that. The finishers were quite cool, and while some of those characters work a lot better as FPS than others, it's cool and original in an awesome way.

I think a big time Avengers game is a huge project because the gameplay between characters is naturally so different. Playing Captain America should feel very different from playing Hulk, even though they're both just jumping, punching and throwing things. Iron Man and Thor should have those options too, plus additional great abilities, but still be balanced with Cap and Hulk.

And this is without including anyone else as playable.

I'd try it this way. Everyone has the same basic core gameplay. Move along the ground, melee attacks, jumping/dodging, blocking, grabbing and a ranged attack, all handled on the face buttons. Every character has something significant on top of that.

For Hulk, he just has all that turned up to 11 with regeneration, with his ranged attacking being ripping up part of the ground or whatever object he's picked up.

For Captain America, whose ranged attack is the shield, with all those cool properties, he'd have the ability to call in/summon backup such as Hawkeye/Black Widow/Falcon/Agent 13 to help with the attack, much like you can call in back up in the Assassin's Creed or Saint's Row franchises. He'd also have an incredible block and advanced melee combos chains not unlike an Arkham Batman.

For Iron Man, in addition to his basic repulsor blast attack, he'd have a host of gadgets and secondary weapons available to him, as well as his jump being flight when you hold it down, allowing him to hover and if need be convert into speed flight mode to get across the battlefield quickly for additional objectives.

For Thor, he'd be more of a balanced character. He'd have some advanced melee, but not much. He'd have some secondary attack types like 'gadgets' from his hammer, but really only a couple, he'd be really strong like Hulk, but not in a way that escalates as the battle goes on. Even his flight would be more of a super jump that he can guide a bit by pointing his hammer where he wants to go.

Then what items they can interact with contextually is different. Thor can work alien tech, Hulk can work things that need to be smashed hard, Iron Man can work Earth tech and Rogers can work people, so to speak.

That game would take a LOT of work, because after you work on four very different, almost specialized characters, you still have to make a world. You can't really adapt the Avengers movie because that comes down to really 2-3 battles... one of which is between the heroes (would love to see a vs battle pop up in the middle of a co-op game, that could be really fun).

The youtube clip game had a great idea, dealing with the secret invasin/super skrull storyline, that could be a really cool starting place. It also might be cool to revisit storylines from the previous MCU stories, similar to how Agents of SHIELD does it. Say, another armor of Extremis soldiers, or a resurgent HYDRA, or Justin Hammer's Hammertech, or something something Ten Rings or The Ice Giants attack Midgard again or Dark Elves remnants return, or y'know, pretty much anything cool could be it's own separately level, and woven together in those kinds of video game Masters of Evil type stories.
You've got some great ideas there. Especially with Cap being able to call in reinforcements. Prior, all I could think of for a special ability for Steve is some kind of team boost, basically making him play like a Paladin. But calling in reinforcements would be more worthy of a button and would fit the motif of Cap being a leader. Buffs can be passive, maybe achieved just by being near him. Speaking of class parallels, I totally see him as a tank/fighter hybrid. Sure maybe he doesn't have Hulk's hitpoints, but his block move should be the ultimate counter to many attacks.

I think Hawkeye could serve as a unique playable character however, especially if the player has access to a full arsenal of trick arrows. Lots of utility there. Same goes for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. As fully realized playable characters, they could bring interesting twists to the formula.

Giving them different objectives would also be cool. It wouldn't make sense for the Captain America or Hulk player to be able to hack terminals, or Tony to be able to reliably use Asgardian devices.

Since Iron Man would have the advantage of high vantage point whenever he wants, they could give the player an additional challenge by having anti-air weapons/enemies placed around the map, that gives them missile lock ons to shake.

Also, Hulk should not be lumbering. I want him fast and vicious. Balance out his stats, regeneration and tendency to clear out rooms by making him aggro like no other. Perfect tank material there. All enemies focus on him primarily, and his HP is constantly put to the test.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #17
tacit-ronin-
Flashes on a train

so who remembers this game.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #18
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoy-small-fry View Post
You're all thinking of Lego Marvel - it's setup as a direct sequel to Avengers anyway
I hope they're already making a sequel to that game. It was terrific

By the way tacit ronan, yeah I remember that game. It was way better than people gave it credit for even if it was just a bit of temporary fun.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #19
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoy-small-fry View Post
For me, the lego gameplay is a bit limited, and I like a different balance between combat and platforming puzzles. I also enjoy stealth and social elements. I'm sure it's a great game, but while Lego Batman 2 was pretty much the best Superman game to date, I would have enjoyed it that much better with models based on human beings instead of minifigs.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #20
Dev-El
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoherentChaos View Post

man, I really wish another company could pick up where THQ left off.

Dev-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #21
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
For me, the lego gameplay is a bit limited, and I like a different balance between combat and platforming puzzles. I also enjoy stealth and social elements. I'm sure it's a great game, but while Lego Batman 2 was pretty much the best Superman game to date, I would have enjoyed it that much better with models based on human beings instead of minifigs.
Perhaps it's an acquired taste. It's weird to adjust to the format of LEGO, but once you do, LEGO Marvel is really fun. Most of the characters play like they should, even given the limited format. Hulk is actually invulnerable to everything but heavy turrets and other "big figs" (Abomination, Hulkbuster, etc) and clears enemies and objects like no other. Iron Man's versatility is cool, and Thor's got a cool lightning mode you can activate.

It's the closest thing we've got to a proper Avengers game in recent years I'd dare to say. But yes, it's past time we got a proper, proper Avengers game, and the LEGO style and gameplay just doesn't cut it imo.

Old 04-10-2014, 06:16 PM   #22
TheFirstAvenger
Marvel/Dc fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacit-ronin- View Post
so who remembers this game.
I got this as a Christmas gift when I was a kid.

"I'm going to show you something..beautiful. Everyone, screaming for mercy..you want to save the world, but you don't want it to change. You are all puppets, tangled in..strings..strings. But now I'm free..there are no strings on me."

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
TheFirstAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote