The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 09-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #26
MistaBinks
Side-Kick

Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Somewhat separate from SW, why would Disney move Ant-Man so close to Avengers2 when most think A2 is too close Ep7 as is?

MistaBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #27
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Because they did not want it to go against Bond.

Disney has lots coming out, there will be some cannibalism, but I think they are fine with that this year. Because no matter what they are making tons of money. They have Avengers, SW7 (possibly) Inside Out (Pixar's June film) and Ant-Man coming out. August is pretty clear though.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaBinks View Post
Somewhat separate from SW, why would Disney move Ant-Man so close to Avengers2 when most think A2 is too close Ep7 as is?
Maybe there's gonna be a tease for Ant-Man at the end of TA2 and they hope Ant-Man feeds off from it? I dunno, it's still risky pushing it so close to the Sups/Bats movie imo. But SW could be placed between TA2 and Ant-Man... i dunno, lol Disney sure is shuffling things though, and SW is likely the reason.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #29
MistaBinks
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Maybe there's gonna be a tease for Ant-Man at the end of TA2 and they hope Ant-Man feeds off from it? I dunno, it's still risky pushing it so close to the Sups/Bats movie imo. But SW could be placed between TA2 and Ant-Man... i dunno, lol Disney sure is shuffling things though, and SW is likely the reason.
In a Marvel POV only, it's new/odd that Ant-Man is so close to A2.

MistaBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #30
Mr.M
Side-Kick

If you open Star Wars in December, then it is not consistent. Episode 8 would be December 2018 and that will overlap with Avatar 4. I don't think you want to go to summer at that point, because then you contend with Avengers 3 and other big budget sequels from 2015, like Justice League. So then 2018 you have the same problem of Avengers overlap. Star Wars needs to maintain that three year gap for consistency. Not that Disney is thinking that far ahead with all their properties, but Marvel is and has a schedule that I don't think Disney wants to deviate from since its proven.

May 2016 is a slam dunk. Marvel just needs to take a back seat that year. They don't have a huge property like Iron Man or Hulk in that first weekend. ASM3 is stepping aside to June for good reason. 2nd week of May is fine.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #31
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

It's already been said a few times that unlike the previous three-year gaps, Disney intends to have two-year gaps for the ST and inbetween them will be a spin-off. So it shouldn't be a major issue. Release dates aren't the biggest thing we have to worry about for these movies anyway

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:16 AM   #32
Octoberist
point blank

Has anyone noticed now that while Avengers 2 is opening on May 1st, but the rest of May is empty? Very curious.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #33
Neo_3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
If you open Star Wars in December, then it is not consistent. Episode 8 would be December 2018 and that will overlap with Avatar 4. I don't think you want to go to summer at that point, because then you contend with Avengers 3 and other big budget sequels from 2015, like Justice League. So then 2018 you have the same problem of Avengers overlap. Star Wars needs to maintain that three year gap for consistency. Not that Disney is thinking that far ahead with all their properties, but Marvel is and has a schedule that I don't think Disney wants to deviate from since its proven.

May 2016 is a slam dunk. Marvel just needs to take a back seat that year. They don't have a huge property like Iron Man or Hulk in that first weekend. ASM3 is stepping aside to June for good reason. 2nd week of May is fine.
Marvel has the May opener that year, which could be IM4 or Thor 3.

Neo_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #34
Mr.M
Side-Kick

You can still do Memorial Day. What's due out that weekend? I think Disney will drop the bombshell pretty soon. Three weeks after Avengers, Episode 7 in full swing. Complete domination for the Mouse.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #35
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Has anyone noticed now that while Avengers 2 is opening on May 1st, but the rest of May is empty? Very curious.
Ya to me that seems pretty clear that it is May. Because no other company is wanting to release anything in mid May. And they are all in the "know" So it seems that is when it will drop.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #36
Octoberist
point blank

Hmmm..strange isn't it?

Old 10-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #37
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

I think a Christmas or Thanksgiving season release is perfect which would be refreshing for Star Wars you know rather than Summer as Disney has Avengers 2.

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #38
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

July 2015 would be a perfect release date for this movie!

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #39
lozzy.94
Im no Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
July 2015 would be a perfect release date for this movie!
July 2015 is already way too packed! Given that we haven't heard a whole lot about this film I think it would be best to hold this off until summer 2016. I can wait another year if it means we don't get a rushed production.

2016 - Captain America: The Secret Avengers, Doctor Strange
2017 - Thor: Ragnarok, Guardians Of The Galaxy: War of Kings
2018 - The Avengers: Infinity
lozzy.94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #40
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

It's not rushed production. They have been working on this (Disney) Since spring of 2012. It's on the same schedule that Avengers has. It's not rushed. It will be 2015. They reiterated that in the latest pieces of news.

And notice Memorial Day 2015 no one has booked anything (which is a huge weekend). To me it seems pretty clear that that's being saved for Episode VII.

Old 10-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #41
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

Give the Christmas thing a chance, originally ANH was suppose to come out Christmas 1976 but instead got pushed to May 1977 instead.

So i think it could be a great Xmas gift for us SW fans as Avengers will dominate May 2015 since Disney owns that property too

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #42
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

I'm fine with the December release. But May being empty while June/July are so crowded is a bit suspicious. Avengers: AoU will be huge, I even think it could take Avatar down & become the highest grossing movie ever. But there has to be another reason why someone hasn't taken more spots in May.

Avengers: AoU & Star Wars: Episode VII would make that May the best month ever.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #43
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I thought that Episode VII would take that Memorial Day 2015 spot, but I just think it's going to cannibalize earnings on both films. (And Disney knows that.) If the studio is still planning on a May 2015 date, they need to stake it out soon. Each day that goes by without a firm 2015 date means the chances are better of it being summer 2016 instead.

Not to mention that Universal and Legendary have already taken that Avatar/LOTR/Hobbit spot in December. So unless Disney plans on a Christmas Day release, I think it's going to stay a summer film. It's more likely to hit May 2016 though.

Even though studios like sticking to tradition and what weekends work for them in the past, this movie is a big enough deal that Disney can release it during the off-season period and it'd do amazing numbers. (Summers and winter holidays are safer bets, but the rivals like stacking their movies on the same weekends -- and that isn't a good thing.)

However, like I said a few pages ago, Star Wars: Episode VII opening in a slower month like February, March, April or October would absolutely dominate. (That scenario ain't going to happen unless Kathleen Kennedy and JJ Abrams want it, so the summer is far more likely.)

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #44
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

No it will be 2015. 3 week is all most films need anyways. TA2 is going to be front loaded like most popular sequels are. Iger again reiterated a few days ago at the Japanese D23 that it is Summer 2015. They would not keep saying that so far into it especially for investors. It is actually most likely it will hit around May 20th 2015. It's on an even earlier production schedule then that of TA2. Memorial Day weekend has not been booked for one reason, the studios (all the other studios) know its where Disney is probably dropping Episode VII.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #45
Bim
Side-Kick

Yeah, it's looking like summer indeed, check this out: http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/56346/s...ease-patterns/

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #46
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Ya further official"ness" of it.

Last edited by Solidus; 10-18-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #47
Bim
Side-Kick

Ha!, too slow Solidus. If we were in a western movie, u would be dead by now

Old 10-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #48
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Ha!, too slow Solidus. If we were in a western movie, u would be dead by now

But I had to spend that time putting that image on imageshack so the people could see! lol

Old 10-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #49
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Awesome! Thanks, Solidus.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:38 AM   #50
Neo_3
Side-Kick

Why not AoU in July, move MOS2 to May 1 and have SW Memorial weekend. Then 2 major Disney movies would not overlap and move Ant-Man to the first week of August. If you could get more perfect have Minions move to July 17 and put AoU in the July 10th spot (DMC spot 9 years earlier) and look how that turned out.

Last edited by Neo_3; 10-21-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Neo_3 is offline   Reply With Quote