The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #76
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,239
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
First JJ knows how SW is suppose to look. He already said in September he will not being doing "lens flare" for SW he knows that. Also JJ did not write the STID script. It was pushed by Paramount. And again JJ is no fan of Trek so he just went with it and did the best he could. Which I still think was better then any other film this summer.

The film has been in production for a long time, they are not rushing it. Even at the end of the THR article if you read it "all the way" it clearly states that their other more reliable source says that all of those "rushing" rumors are not true. Also the THR article confirms it is not a "gut job page one re-write" that was just Devin being Devin and trying to get hits. He hates Star Wars and JJ so he is of course going to try to spin it as negative as possible. Also Pablo from Lucasfilm Limited said that nothing is being rushed, and they are going on just fine. Most films have re-writes/new writers come in, it's very common.

Also if you read my other posts you will see that they have done something almost no film does by hiring TWO Production Designers (who lead in design/ building sets). Doing CGI/building sets is the one thing you can keep quality but just double the team that is normally used to get it done in half the time. It costs a lot more money, but trust me money is no issue with Disney for Episode VII they will spend what every they have to spend.

The things they can't rush is the script/filming. Which clearly they are not or they would not have let JJ change anything to begin with. But this article shows that there is a re-write but it is far from a "page one". They still have 5 months until filming starts. This is nothing odd or new.

Again this reminds me of the TDK disaster after Heath died. All the bull rumors going around about how they needed more filming with him, and were going to replace him/do a whole new film etc. People take little bits of news and create drama to get HITS on their sites. SW+any drama+over blowing it=Hits for websites.

SO AGAIN IT'S NOT A PAGE ONE RE-WRITE. If there was any re-writing it started back in July. And they are still polishing it which usually with most films , even all of Nolan's films the screen plays are being written up to actual filming.


Of course nobody who is a part of the SW crew is going to admit to the production being "rushed" per say whether it is or isn't.

Let's just hope they give us quality SW film(s) with new characters that we actually care about and are not silly and annoying (Han and Leias children) make them likable kids. I hope we see more Sith characters as well.

My worry for this film is the cramming of these new and old characters. The execution is not going to be easy.

NoLaNitE007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #77
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,399
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

The Hollywood Reporter is a solid news organization, but just because they're reporting that there's some internal disagreement over whether or not the movie needs more production time, it doesn't by any means mean that things are 'in trouble' or 'being rushed'.

There's also been way too much worry over the news that JJ and Kasdan are working on the script that Arndt turned in.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #78
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,239
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
The Hollywood Reporter is a solid news organization, but just because they're reporting that there's some internal disagreement over whether or not the movie needs more production time, it doesn't by any means mean that things are 'in trouble' or 'being rushed'


We'll see what develops. Making a QUALITY SW film is no easy task. Me thinks JJ is finding this out now.

It's a big...BIG production process that needs time with pressures galore.

NoLaNitE007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #79
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Plus JJ and Kasdan will have to prepare their plot and script not just for this film, they need to think about what's ahead for the next films after. Making a good SW film(s) is no easy task and takes time.
No they are not doing (at least JJ Episode VIII or IX. Those are being done separate by other people. The outline was already made by Ardnt/George Lucas. They mainly just are thinking about Episode VII right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Of course nobody who is a part of the SW crew is going to admit to the production being "rushed" per say whether it is or isn't.

Let's just hope they give us quality SW film(s) with new characters that we actually care about and are not silly and annoying (Han and Leias children) make them likable kids. I hope we see more Sith characters as well.

My worry for this film is the cramming of these new and old characters. The execution is not going to be easy.
That's too much of a cop out. They may downplay some of it, but there is truth in it as well. The Internet is just making a big deal out of it. And yes they will give us a quality film. Look at the crew they've amassed. JJ is perfect for the execution, they have wonderful writers, and if you looked at the press release it is an amazing crew. No one said the execution would be easy, but that's why they have the best of the best working on the film. With the writing of JJ/Ardnt/Kasdan combined we are in for something special I'm sure. JJ is the perfect director to bring Star Wars to life, he understands it.

JJ knew what he was getting into. And the article clearly states he is feeling confident about everything. So I think it's fine. Peter Jackson created, filmed, wrote an entire trilogy (LOTR) and finished the first 3 hour film in 3.5 years. They can get this done. People are just again....going over the top of what is going on. All productions have things like this happen.

I have no worries about the creative team, because they brought the A team. Like any film like TA2, or Interstellar, ya we have to wait and see in the end. But that does not stop the feeling/evidence of good film makers, can make good movies.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 11-02-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #80
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,399
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

The production is definitely in good hands, even if Iger does 'fold' and agree to push the release date back. The concern over this whole situation really is 'making a mountain out of a molehill'.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #81
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
The production is definitely in good hands, even if Iger does 'fold' and agree to push the release date back. The concern over this whole situation really is 'making a mountain out of a molehill'.
Yep and on top of that there is no "concrete" date yet while every other film in 2015 has one. I think in case of emergency Iger is being reasonable and saying if worse comes to worse of course we will delay it. But I think JJ and Iger know it can be done by then.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #82
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.
 
MrMaooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MI6 Headquarters
Posts: 16,190
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

November 2, 2013.

__________________
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen."
MrMaooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #83
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,239
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
No they are not doing (at least JJ Episode VIII or IX. Those are being done separate by other people. The outline was already made by Ardnt/George Lucas. They mainly just are thinking about Episode VII right now.



That's too much of a cop out. They may downplay some of it, but there is truth in it as well. The Internet is just making a big deal out of it. And yes they will give us a quality film. Look at the crew they've amassed. JJ is perfect for the execution, they have wonderful writers, and if you looked at the press release it is an amazing crew. No one said the execution would be easy, but that's why they have the best of the best working on the film. With the writing of JJ/Ardnt/Kasdan combined we are in for something special I'm sure. JJ is the perfect director to bring Star Wars to life, he understands it.

JJ knew what he was getting into. And the article clearly states he is feeling confident about everything. So I think it's fine. Peter Jackson created, filmed, wrote an entire trilogy (LOTR) and finished the first 3 hour film in 3.5 years. They can get this done. People are just again....going over the top of what is going on. All productions have things like this happen.

I have no worries about the creative team, because they brought the A team. Like any film like TA2, or Interstellar, ya we have to wait and see in the end. But that does not stop the feeling/evidence of good film makers, can make good movies.
Glad your so confident. I'm in wait and see mode. I want them to push the release date to Holidays 2015 or Memorial Day May 2016. The post production process will need time.

NoLaNitE007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #84
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Glad your so confident. I'm in wait and see mode. I want them to push the release date to Holidays 2015 or Memorial Day May 2016. The post production process will need time.
No it doesn't ,The Avengers/Star Trek09 and Star Trek Into Darkness took less than 10 months in post. People have an odd view of post these days. It does not take as long as it used to. And if you have a team of 100 (example) instead of the normal 50 you will get it done twice as fast. If they have the money to hire more CGI artists/programmers most films would do it. That and Disney now owns ILM. They will ensure that great quality/care but get a bigger team to work on it. And again Disney is fronting the money for it. The post production with unlimited funds does not need as much time. Pre-production/filming yes, post not really. If you have the money which they do, they will spend it.

I am confident because they have the right team, and the best of the best. Pushing the date will not do much at all. They pushed the dates/gave lots of time for the prequels...and look how that turned out. More time does not always make things better. And if JJ feels the time is fine, working on Episode VII for over 3 years is more than enough time.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 11-02-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #85
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,239
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
No it doesn't ,The Avengers/Star Trek09 and Star Trek Into Darkness took less than 10 months in post. People have an odd view of post these days. It does not take as long as it used to. And if you have a team of 100 (example) instead of the normal 50 you will get it done twice as fast. If they have the money to hire more CGI artists/programmers most films would do it. That and Disney now owns ILM. They will ensure that great quality/care but get a bigger team to work on it. And again Disney is fronting the money for it. The post production with unlimited funds does not need as much time. Pre-production/filming yes, post not really. If you have the money which they do, they will spend it.

I am confident because they have the right team, and the best of the best. Pushing the date will not do much at all. They pushed the dates/gave lots of time for the prequels...and look how that turned out. More time does not always make things better. And if JJ feels the time is fine, working on Episode VII for over 3 years is more than enough time.
Oh okay and how do you know this is he right team? If it was the right team, the story and scripting would have gone smoothly. It's cool your a hardcore SW fan and are confident this film will be a quality SW film. I'm I'm wait and see mode. Please respect that.

NoLaNitE007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #86
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,500
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

At this point, those are the only way to go about it. In reality, the history of troubled production is arbitrary that there's no way to guage the final products until they hit the big screen.

The original Star Wars (A New Hope), Jaws, Aliens, Apocalypse, Now Titanic, X1, X-Men: First Class Rise of the Planet of the Apes, all had rush, trouble (or both) schedule and it was a miracle that they turned out great.

You've got World War Z which could've been a worse movie but turned out to be okay. Surprisingly okay. Same thing with Men in Black 3.

Then you also got The Lone Ranger, John Carter, Waterworld Twilight Zone the movie, John Carter, X3, X-Men Origins, Island of Doctor Monroe that were deemed failures.

Those are the worst case scenarios. Also, JJ hasn't started filming. Who knows...the filming itself could be smooth and if that'll be the case, the script better be polished as heck.
I really think JJ is the resourceful type.

But I understand the skepticism. Completely after the Prequels.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!

Last edited by Octoberist; 11-02-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #87
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,500
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Also the question remains: Do you want a good entertaining movie; just another addition to the franchise? OR do you want a legendary movie that will be talked about and admired for years to come from both fans and critics. Well that's up to JJ, the fans and a stroke of luck.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #88
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Oh okay and how do you know this is he right team? If it was the right team, the story and scripting would have gone smoothly. It's cool your a hardcore SW fan and are confident this film will be a quality SW film. I'm I'm wait and see mode. Please respect that.
First, we are just debating. So there is no "disrespect."

Second, how do I know? JJ was made for SW you watch his movies (even Lost) especially ST09 you can tell he has the right understanding of it. He turned Trek into a Star Wars feel, if you can do that with Trek it shows love for that as well. If you look at the rest of the crew, it's some of the best of the best, who all have the right palate, and experience for Star Wars, just look at their resumes, and they are all top of their game. Ardnt and Kasdan are amazing, and Kasdan made the best Star Wars of them all. There is vast experience within their ranks. Looking at their resumes, is what is most telling.

Second, you are making the massive assumption that there are massive script problems, when there is not. Was there disagreement/re-writes? yes and 95% of films do that. The thing is you never ever hear about most production problems because no one cares, ALL films have them. It's a very common thing to switch writers. The fact of the matter is it's Star Wars...any news will get peoples attention. And a lot of fake rumors carried a bunch of stuff because they KNEW it would give them hits. They are not having problems, is there challenges? Yes but there is with every single film. As Octoberist said...actually the best films most of them had very tough times. Alien, Aliens, Terminator, Apocalypse Now, the original trilogy of Star Wars, Empire had the least time out of all of them, and they were ready to go bankrupt...and look what happened. The Avengers, LOTR, so many films had re-writes and problems, The Fly 1986 had problems. The thing is most films do, it's just the news does not leak and you do not hear about it.

It has nothing to do with a "Bad team" not doing things smoothly. Every film has troubles. Very few don't. It's just this one has a few creative differences...and with a good team that usually is for the better. Because it was said Kathy and George/Disney agreed JJ's changes were for the much better. Read the original draft of Empire Strikes Back...it was God Awful, thank god right before shooting Kasdan did a complete re-write in very limited time. Unlike Empire though they have an additional 5 months to finish a script plenty of time. To re-reiterate, this is a very very common thing in all films. Just sadly some have spun it to craziness.

But yes we are just having a civil discussion.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 11-02-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:08 AM   #89
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,703
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Glad your so confident. I'm in wait and see mode. I want them to push the release date to Holidays 2015 or Memorial Day May 2016. The post production process will need time.
I say May 2016. There isn't a notable Marvel Studios movie due out that year and Disney would want some muscle that summer season.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #90
Neo_3
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 369
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I say May 2016. There isn't a notable Marvel Studios movie due out that year and Disney would want some muscle that summer season.
Actually there are 2 Marvel movies that Summer. We will know more in the Spring, but most likely will be Dr. Strange and Thor 3. Also have Finding Dory and DMTNT.

Neo_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #91
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,703
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_3 View Post
Actually there are 2 Marvel movies that Summer. We will know more in the Spring, but most likely will be Dr. Strange and Thor 3. Also have Finding Dory and DMTNT.
Yeah. The way I see it, WB probably doesn't have a huge movie out that year, since B v S is 2015. Marvel has two properties that can't really carry the summer release. The big releases are:

May: ???
June: ASM 3/Finding Dory
July: DMTNT

I think ID4 also has a chance to get pushed back to 2016. So I think you can squeeze Thor 3 into March/April 2016. Strange in late summer or the following Fall or vice versa. Basically sets up perfectly to ease up on Marvel Studios and get some more Disney branded films on the slate. I don't know why people would be hung up on another massive 2015 blockbuster. Give Abrams all the time he needs without this BS pressure. Basically, July 4th, Memorial Day, and early May do not have notable properties slated, and nothing notable appears to be scheduled at the moment.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #92
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Because it will still make them money. Most films are front loaded anyways, and merchandise is where the majority oft he money is made. Money wise they want to release it in 2015, and Iger already has pretty much said (according to THR) it's 2015. And JJ agrees with that. Giving JJ another year does nothing, they did that with Episode I and lots of time with Episode II and III and it did far from help it. The project has been in the works for so long, it does not need 4.5 years to be made. And Disney won't sit on it.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #93
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,703
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

WB gave Potter another year, even though the film was ready to be released in November the year earlier. I think it was their 2009 Potter movie, which went all the way to mid July. So it doesn't matter if it is or isn't ready for 2015. It can be released whenever, and they'd likely want to space things out accordingly to maximize profits. Having this and Avengers in the same month in just front loading to a long term detriment. Plus, I'm sure you can wait one more year if you've already been waiting this long.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #94
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
WB gave Potter another year, even though the film was ready to be released in November the year earlier. I think it was their 2009 Potter movie, which went all the way to mid July. So it doesn't matter if it is or isn't ready for 2015. It can be released whenever, and they'd likely want to space things out accordingly to maximize profits. Having this and Avengers in the same month in just front loading to a long term detriment. Plus, I'm sure you can wait one more year if you've already been waiting this long.
But it messes upt he long term plans. The thing is it's not just for one or two films. SW is bigger than the films themselves, you are looking at only 20% of the money they make, 80% is merchandise etc. Also Disney spent a lot of money on this, they need to start paying it back. If it is ready for 2015, it will be released. And Iger says IT WILL be released 2015.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #95
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,703
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
But it messes upt he long term plans. The thing is it's not just for one or two films. SW is bigger than the films themselves, you are looking at only 20% of the money they make, 80% is merchandise etc. Also Disney spent a lot of money on this, they need to start paying it back. If it is ready for 2015, it will be released. And Iger says IT WILL be released 2015.
So Disney is going to struggle meeting their quota when they have AoU out that summer, along with that merchandise, plus the usual Pixar movie? Is there some law that says they need two multibillion dollar franchises the same year by any means neccessary? Maybe Iger just wants to flex his muscle after investing over 8 billion on Marvel and LucasFilms. But the idea that one year is going to make a difference over a 15-20 year return investment is just not sensible from a business perspective. I don't know what Iger's motivation is, but I'd assume he is just putting pressure on his people to get serious and not dilly daddle with this thing. Or maybe he just wants that massive pay day one year earlier. If the property is compromised because of this, it's a mistake.

Also, Abrams was only brought in last Spring or so. As far as I'm concerned, if the director hasn't been attached from the getgo, they really haven't been working on it for four plus years. I'm of the belief that it is ultimately the director that is responsible to oversee all the creative decisions, and if there is something that he doesn't see eye to eye with that has to be reworked, all that story board stuff and preliminary ideas goes out the window. I don't think Kennedy convinced him to guide this train saying, "this is our plan and we are going with this type of story no matter what." Maybe Abrams liked it for the most part, or maybe he thought it needed a lot more work, we don't know. Obviously, we have our fair share of "done by committee" projects ****cough MCU cough**** but I don't think Abrams would have signed on if that was the case.

And again, why are you adamant that this has to come out next year? It's like the Batman fans that were convinced TDKR would be out in 2011 no matter what timeline Nolan was on. Is it just because all indications have pointed to 2015 until some recent reports? Because you've always had this impression before these "internal conflicts" surfaced. I'm curious as to why you feel this way. And I take your point that casting for the PT was not complete until the months leading up to filming, and maybe it's already done in closed doors, but this isn't 1999 and thinks do not work the same way in this summer blockbuster age, where it is super competitive and you have to secure top talent as quickly as possible.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #96
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
So Disney is going to struggle meeting their quota when they have AoU out that summer, along with that merchandise, plus the usual Pixar movie? Is there some law that says they need two multibillion dollar franchises the same year by any means neccessary? Maybe Iger just wants to flex his muscle after investing over 8 billion on Marvel and LucasFilms. But the idea that one year is going to make a difference over a 15-20 year return investment is just not sensible from a business perspective. I don't know what Iger's motivation is, but I'd assume he is just putting pressure on his people to get serious and not dilly daddle with this thing. Or maybe he just wants that massive pay day one year earlier. If the property is compromised because of this, it's a mistake.

Also, Abrams was only brought in last Spring or so. As far as I'm concerned, if the director hasn't been attached from the getgo, they really haven't been working on it for four plus years. I'm of the belief that it is ultimately the director that is responsible to oversee all the creative decisions, and if there is something that he doesn't see eye to eye with that has to be reworked, all that story board stuff and preliminary ideas goes out the window. I don't think Kennedy convinced him to guide this train saying, "this is our plan and we are going with this type of story no matter what." Maybe Abrams liked it for the most part, or maybe he thought it needed a lot more work, we don't know. Obviously, we have our fair share of "done by committee" projects ****cough MCU cough**** but I don't think Abrams would have signed on if that was the case.

And again, why are you adamant that this has to come out next year? It's like the Batman fans that were convinced TDKR would be out in 2011 no matter what timeline Nolan was on. Is it just because all indications have pointed to 2015 until some recent reports? Because you've always had this impression before these "internal conflicts" surfaced. I'm curious as to why you feel this way. And I take your point that casting for the PT was not complete until the months leading up to filming, and maybe it's already done in closed doors, but this isn't 1999 and thinks do not work the same way in this summer blockbuster age, where it is super competitive and you have to secure top talent as quickly as possible.
Because spending 4 billion dollars for a franchise is still a massive cost even for Disney. And JJ was brought in first last December, officially in January, not spring.

I'm wanting quality first, but if JJ says that quality will be there and Iger is saying it is 2015 (the boss of them all), it's not about what I want...it's about what IS happening. These guys know more of what they are doing then you or I, and they have reason to get it out in 2015, people are acting like Disney just started on this, they started on it in early 2012. They have had things planned out, and the big wheels are turning. But again JJ has been working on this for some time with Ardnt the changes were not made until supposedly around June, and according to THR not "page one re-writes".

Also again...Memorial Day is empty still because all studios know that's where SW will probably drop. And again most films are front loaded giving almost a month for TA2 is just fine, and the drop off they would rather lose to their own product then someone else taking the Memorial Day spot. Both films will make great amounts of money and not hurt each other that much. Unless you are making money from Disney I would ask what do you care that it comes out in 2015? If the quality will be the same, and they have the target for it, holding it back for a year does nothing to you. And it won't hurt Disney with TA2 much at all.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #97
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,239
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Because spending 4 billion dollars for a franchise is still a massive cost even for Disney. And JJ was brought in first last December, officially in January, not spring.

I'm wanting quality first, but if JJ says that quality will be there and Iger is saying it is 2015 (the boss of them all), it's not about what I want...it's about what IS happening. These guys know more of what they are doing then you or I, and they have reason to get it out in 2015, people are acting like Disney just started on this, they started on it in early 2012. They have had things planned out, and the big wheels are turning. But again JJ has been working on this for some time with Ardnt the changes were not made until supposedly around June, and according to THR not "page one re-writes".

Also again...Memorial Day is empty still because all studios know that's where SW will probably drop. And again most films are front loaded giving almost a month for TA2 is just fine, and the drop off they would rather lose to their own product then someone else taking the Memorial Day spot. Both films will make great amounts of money and not hurt each other that much. Unless you are making money from Disney I would ask what do you care that it comes out in 2015? If the quality will be the same, and they have the target for it, holding it back for a year does nothing to you. And it won't hurt Disney with TA2 much at all.



Yeah. All you're saying is that Disney would rather make their money sooner rather than later. I get it.

Yep.

NoLaNitE007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #98
NoLaNitE007
Side-Kick
 
NoLaNitE007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,239
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
But the idea that one year is going to make a difference over a 15-20 year return investment is just not sensible from a business perspective. I don't know what Iger's motivation is, but I'd assume he is just putting pressure on his people to get serious and not dilly daddle with this thing. Or maybe he just wants that massive pay day one year earlier. If the property is compromised because of this, it's a mistake.

Also, Abrams was only brought in last Spring or so. As far as I'm concerned, if the director hasn't been attached from the getgo, they really haven't been working on it for four plus years. I'm of the belief that it is ultimately the director that is responsible to oversee all the creative decisions, and if there is something that he doesn't see eye to eye with that has to be reworked, all that story board stuff and preliminary ideas goes out the window. I don't think Kennedy convinced him to guide this train saying, "this is our plan and we are going with this type of story no matter what." Maybe Abrams liked it for the most part, or maybe he thought it needed a lot more work, we don't know. Obviously, we have our fair share of "done by committee" projects ****cough MCU cough**** but I don't think Abrams would have signed on if that was the case.

And again, why are you adamant that this has to come out next year? It's like the Batman fans that were convinced TDKR would be out in 2011 no matter what timeline Nolan was on. Is it just because all indications have pointed to 2015 until some recent reports? Because you've always had this impression before these "internal conflicts" surfaced. I'm curious as to why you feel this way. And I take your point that casting for the PT was not complete until the months leading up to filming, and maybe it's already done in closed doors, but this isn't 1999 and thinks do not work the same way in this summer blockbuster age, where it is super competitive and you have to secure top talent as quickly as possible.


It's all about Iger wanting to see his return on investment sooner rather than later. The man wants to get paid...regardless of how good the product is or isn't.

Also, maybe Solidus has some stock in Disney and he wants to try and get paid sooner also?

Just sayin....

NoLaNitE007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #99
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
Yeah. All you're saying is that Disney would rather make their money sooner rather than later. I get it.

Yep.
No I'm not just saying that. It's also that they will have the product done. Most companies don't make a product then sit on it for a fiscal year, because that is oppurtunity loss. The most important aspect of it all is JJ says he can do it in this time....he is the true person that should decide. And he has said he's ready for a Summer 2015 date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLaNitE007 View Post
It's all about Iger wanting to see his return on investment sooner rather than later. The man wants to get paid...regardless of how good the product is or isn't.

Also, maybe Solidus has some stock in Disney and he wants to try and get paid sooner also?

Just sayin....
No I have no stock in Disney. I too care about the quality, but my point being is they are getting the quality they want and JJ is satisfied with the time allotted. Giving people more time does not mean the work is going to be any better. For GL it did the opposite with the PT.

If worse comes to worse and they feel the quality is in danger, ya delay it. But they don't is the thing. And so if they feel on track with it, with the amazing team they have, then go for it, waiting will do nothing.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #100
Mr.M
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,703
Default Re: Episode VII release date thread

Maybe Disney just wasn't happy with Lone Ranger and arbitrarily decided Episode 7 was further along than DMTNT, a film from a franchise rapidly declining in popularity that would get smothered in 2015. Episode 7 provides some muscle going into the heart of the 2015 movie season, and they are desperate to have a release separate from Marvel that can produce PoTC money from back in the day. It could be that simple. Iger wanting to nail down Memorial Day weekends 2015, 2016, and 2017 with VII, DMTNT, and VIII. That's why I am inclined to believe Iger would be willing to compromise the integrity on these projects to meet those fiscal deadlines, even if Abrams needs more time. That's how these CEO's operate.
Over at WB, Tsujihara was not going to sit back and give 2015 to Marvel and Disney. He stepped up to the plate, and greenlit the B v S project that his film producers seemed to sketch out of the blue. Nobody expected that at comic con, but that's just how the business is done these days. At the very least, they had Affleck for a long time and there had been a lot of work behind the scenes. That may very well be the case here, but I don't know that. No cast and possible script problems according to the latest. Nothing new in Hollywood, but certainly nothing promising.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.