The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #951
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,939
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I also pointed out the mass, collective gasp of audiences at tge end of inception. I was in the theatre and heard a lot of audience sound. It is also universally acknowledged online.

Seriously, stop trolling.
No trolling here. You were being condescending touting that he can't recognize facts when you list only one... two if you want to count the audience, which despite it being anecdotal, I'll give it to you.

You can make good points but please just learn some manners. If you hadn't been so hyperbolic and insulting I wouldn't have said a thing.

And seriously, I get no acknowledgement for disproving your TDK point?

Krumm is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #952
Vid Electricz
Banned User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
How quickly we tear down our idols
"Tearing down"? Using Quentin's films as a gauge for putting his comments into some sort of context is not "tearing down". lol. It's important to be critical (even of things you admire). Try it sometime.

Vid Electricz is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #953
CharlieS
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 812
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

The problem with Nolan is that the Joker overshadowed Batman in his own film that was really bad, in Batman Begins, Batman was tested but he was in control.


Last edited by CharlieS; 10-10-2013 at 05:16 PM.
CharlieS is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #954
CharlieS
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 812
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Batman Begins was the best Batman of the trilogy all the other weren't Batman's films imo.

CharlieS is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #955
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,877
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
You wouldn't (not pretentious at all), because you are one of those people who can't disassociate his minority opinion from facts.

Nolan has directed the three best comic book movies (opinion!) including the only one to ever be part of the Oscar conversation. And he also directed inception, insomnia, prestige, and memento.

At the end of inception, when the top is spinning, entire audiences were gasping. I have never seen anyone else pull that off, a complete emotional and psychological grip on an audience.

You are allowed to not like nolan. But you look ridiculous calling him a terrible filmmaker.
Slumcat, I think, exaggerates his stance on Nolan. DA, however, appeals to anecdotal evidence AND his opinion as a rebuttal. I wouldn't dare call Nolan a mediocre filmmaker, but I wouldn't put him on the level as say, John Huston.

TheFlamingCoco is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #956
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,842
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
No trolling here. You were being condescending touting that he can't recognize facts when you list only one... two if you want to count the audience, which despite it being anecdotal, I'll give it to you.

You can make good points but please just learn some manners. If you hadn't been so hyperbolic and insulting I wouldn't have said a thing.

And seriously, I get no acknowledgement for disproving your TDK point?
Ok, you pointed out the technicality that I shoukd have said comic superhero movie and not just comic book movie.

The facts in this case are well known. Nolan has made several movies well liked by each of fans, critics, and experts. No citation is needed.

DA_Champion is online now  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #957
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,877
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

^ And there you go, appealing to popularity

But yeah, if both critics AND fanboys like someone's movie, it's probably good

TheFlamingCoco is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #958
CharlieS
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 812
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ And there you go, appealing to popularity

But yeah, if both critics AND fanboys like someone's movie, it's probably good
The nolanites are not batman's fans they're Nolan's fans.

CharlieS is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #959
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,842
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Slumcat, I think, exaggerates his stance on Nolan. DA, however, appeals to anecdotal evidence AND his opinion as a rebuttal. I wouldn't dare call Nolan a mediocre filmmaker, but I wouldn't put him on the level as say, John Huston.
Why would you compare nolan to huston? That makes no sense.

FYI the collective gasp of audiences at the end of inception is not anecdotal. It is scientific, actually, as the same thing happened with distinct audiences in distincy places, I.e. it is reproducible and typical.

DA_Champion is online now  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #960
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,877
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

I think it's safe to say that MOST comics fans LIKE the Nolan trilogy, but believe the character can be better adapted. But Nolanites are weird *beep*

I have to leave IMDB because of them

TheFlamingCoco is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #961
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,939
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Ok, you pointed out the technicality that I shoukd have said comic superhero movie and not just comic book movie.

The facts in this case are well known. Nolan has made several movies well liked by each of fans, critics, and experts.
Well other superhero films have been nominated and won other Oscars but we'll leave that alone..

And I didn't disagree with your point about Nolan. To call him terrible I think is being shortsighted. I don't really like Michael Bay (people's favorite punching bag), but I wouldn't call him terrible -- at least not as I've gotten older. He has his strengths and weakness like any other filmmaker (Nolan included) and those don't really line up with my taste. That being said, I have been intrigued by Pain & Gain...

Krumm is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #962
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,842
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
The nolanites are not batman's fans they're Nolan's fans.
You are correct.

I only like good Batman products, not all Batman products. BTAS, Nolan movies, I like, Batman & Robin, etc. I don't, and I assume that's quite general.


Last edited by DA_Champion; 10-10-2013 at 05:35 PM.
DA_Champion is online now  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #963
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

The thing with Nolan is he's still in the relatively early part of his career and he's already accomplished so much. He still has decades left to further cement his legacy.

The main thing he has to compete with right now is himself and people's expectations of him. Whether you like him or not, the fact is he's at a point in his career where his reputation precedes him and his work will be judged harshly if it's anything less than ground-breaking, spectacular, mind-blowing, throw whatever superlative in there you like...both by his own fans and the people who dislike his films. That's his main hurdle to overcome now, and I think he can do it, but time will tell. I hope he eventually gets to a place with the audience where he's allowed to fail and people don't freak out if his latest movie isn't an instant classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
The nolanites are not batman's fans they're Nolan's fans.
Stop it.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #964
CharlieS
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 812
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
You are correct.

I only like good Batman products, not all Batman products. BTAS, Nolan movies, I like, Batman & Robin, etc. I don't, and I assume that's quite general.
I don't think Nolan is a bad director but i think some people are pushing too far.

CharlieS is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #965
CharlieS
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 812
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The thing with Nolan is he's still in the relatively early part of his career and he's already accomplished so much. He still has decades left to further cement his legacy.

The main thing he has to compete with right now is himself and people's expectations of him. Whether you like him or not, the fact is he's at a point in his career where his reputation precedes him and his work will be judged harshly if it's anything less than ground-breaking, spectacular, mind-blowing, throw whatever superlative in there you like...both by his own fans and the people who dislike his films. That's his main hurdle to overcome now, and I think he can do it, but time will tell. I hope he eventually gets to a place with the audience where he's allowed to fail and people don't freak out if his latest movie isn't an instant classic.

Stop it.
I'm sorry but i'm not a groupie.

CharlieS is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #966
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,842
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Well other superhero films have been nominated and won other Oscars but we'll leave that alone..
Which other comic book superhero movies have been in consideration for serious oscars? I know that the original S:TM had 3 nominations, but that was 35 years ago, and it might be the exception that proves the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
And I didn't disagree with your point about Nolan. To call him terrible I think is being shortsighted. I don't really like Michael Bay (people's favorite punching bag), but I wouldn't call him terrible -- at least not as I've gotten older. He has his strengths and weakness like any other filmmaker (Nolan included) and those don't really line up with my taste. That being said, I have been intrigued by Pain & Gain...
I don't like Michael Bay either, I couldn't even enjoy The Rock, but I'm getting bored with all the Michael Bay hate in all geekdom. Actually, I'm not getting bored, I'm already bored. I don't have to like his movies to see that he is clearly doing something right. His three Transformers movies have each grossed incredible amounts, people are seeing them and loving them in great numbers. We may not be among those people, but that's not objectively important. What matters is that a lot of people really like these movies, so something is being done right. I'm more interested in finding out what that is than in pointing out that those people are dumb.

Similarly with Nolan. We don't all need to love Nolan. I like him a lot, but I cans see why other people wouldn't, he relies a lot on beautiful cinematography and obsessive and driven primary characters to further his movies, he cuts down on computer graphics, and he's obsessed with sound, and if that doesn't appeal to you, then you won't be able to dig his movies as much. Maybe you care more about the things Nolan doesn't do as well, such as humour or romance, that's fine. With that said, a lot of people really connect to Nolan's films, and even experts like them, so something is being done right. Don't confuse your own opinion with reality.

There are plenty of critically praised things that I can't enjoy, such as the Harry Potter books or The Maltese Falcon (since Huston was referenced). I don't go around claiming that they're garbage -- that would be immature. I simply realise that my own personal tastes don't extend to that region of literary parameter space. Like, I really found the first HP book boring and over-detailed, I put it down after 100 pages... but I cannot and will not tell you that these are "terrible books", that's the difference.

DA_Champion is online now  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #967
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
I'm sorry but i'm not a groupie.
I'm sorry but I've been a Batman fan since I was 5 and I also just so happen to love Nolan. Deal with it.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #968
CharlieS
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 812
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Do you know why people are bashing Affleck? It's because they think Batman will not be similar to the Nolan's Batman.

CharlieS is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #969
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
Do you know why people are bashing Affleck? It's because they think Batman will not be similar to the Nolan's Batman.
No, it's because he's Ben Affleck, and most people have a certain perception of him as an actor that is largely carried over from the 90s/00s.

Don't get me wrong, there are some people who will bash this version no matter what because they're still attached to Nolan's, but Affleck got a LOT more bashing than say...Jon Hamm would've gotten. You're reaching with that comment.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #970
CharlieS
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 812
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I'm sorry but I've been a Batman fan since I was 5 and I also just so happen to love Nolan. Deal with it.
You have the right to be a Nolanite.

CharlieS is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #971
adamnulty
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Hi everyone. Been on the site for years, never been on the forum before but I'm selling an original piece of DC artwork on ebay one or two of you might be interested in? Have a look and if not, nice to meet u all! (Ps mods, if I'm not allowed to put a link to an official dc batman art, sorry, please remove this post!)

http://bit.ly/1828rQ5

adamnulty is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #972
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,711
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
You have the right to be a Nolanite.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #973
CharlieS
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 812
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Yeah you heard me you're a nolanite.

CharlieS is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #974
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,939
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Which other comic book superhero movies have been in consideration for serious oscars? I know that the original S:TM had 3 nominations, but that was 35 years ago, and it might be the exception that proves the rule.


I don't like Michael Bay either, I couldn't even enjoy The Rock, but I'm getting bored with all the Michael Bay hate in all geekdom. Actually, I'm not getting bored, I'm already bored. I don't have to like his movies to see that he is clearly doing something right. His three Transformers movies have each grossed incredible amounts, people are seeing them and loving them in great numbers. We may not be among those people, but that's not objectively important. What matters is that a lot of people really like these movies, so something is being done right. I'm more interested in finding out what that is than in pointing out that those people are dumb.

Similarly with Nolan. We don't all need to love Nolan. I like him a lot, but I cans see why other people wouldn't, he relies a lot on beautiful cinematography and obsessive and driven primary characters to further his movies, he cuts down on computer graphics, and he's obsessed with sound, and if that doesn't appeal to you, then you won't be able to dig his movies as much. Maybe you care more about the things Nolan doesn't do as well, such as humour or romance, that's fine. With that said, a lot of people really connect to Nolan's films, and even experts like them, so something is being done right. Don't confuse your own opinion with reality.

There are plenty of critically praised things that I can't enjoy, such as the Harry Potter books or The Maltese Falcon (since Huston was referenced). I don't go around claiming that they're garbage -- that would be immature. I simply realise that my own personal tastes don't extend to that region of literary parameter space. Like, I really found the first HP book boring and over-detailed, I put it down after 100 pages... but I cannot and will not tell you that these are "terrible books", that's the difference.
Well it depends on what you mean by "serious" Oscar. If you're talking the Big 5 then I've already qualified TDK as being the only superhero film to do that. If you include other categories, then you can look it up as it's a surprisingly long list.

I'm with you on everything else.

And as for Nolan, I find his movies to be mentally stimulating and entertaining but emotionally cold. For me it's his only weakness out of many strengths.

Krumm is offline  
Old 10-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #975
DA_Champion
Side-Kick
 
DA_Champion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 5,842
Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
Do you know why people are bashing Affleck? It's because they think Batman will not be similar to the Nolan's Batman.
I think people bash Affleck for the same reason they bashed Heath Ledger, Anne Hathaway, Chris Evans, and Amy Adams: people love to bash casting decisions. The track record is one of Dr. Internet being consistently wrong in this regard.

DA_Champion is online now  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.