The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > DC Comics

Old 10-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #76
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Default Re: Forever Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Alexander Luthor and Alexander Luthor Jr. were pretty different characters though so the dynamics won't be the same as Infinite Crisis especially since the context will also be different. Frankly being that he was the hero of Earth 3 he's the only character that makes any real sense in terms of the hooded one's identity.
I know it makes sense I would just prefer we don't have it be a Luthor, I have no substitute to offer up though. I would hope Johns wouldn't channel his twist that much.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #77
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMagicWolf View Post
The question here is this, who would Ultraman want dead while Ultraman wants alive? Also Owlman said the hooded person tried to break up their team. That doesn't sound like Alexander Luthor. He would want them all arrested and brought to justice, not broken up.

it sounds to me like it was a member of their team who betrayed them. That's the only thing I can think of.

But...then you have to remember what Ultraman said about "throwing him to that thing", they want to use him as a sacrifice, why? What makes this person so special?

Only Geoff Johns knows...
Ultraman would care about Alexander being killed because even though Ultraman himself kills at the end of the day Alexander is his main foe. His mortal equal like Lex is to Clark.

Lex Luthor is the smartest man on Prime Earth. Suffice it to say that a more heroic Luthor would still be the smartest man on his Earth if he is able to outsmart the CSA. He wouldn't need superpowers to have almost broken them up.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Earth 2, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #78
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Dude, Joker got chopped to pieces when Owlman threw him into the moving propellers of a helicopter over in the Earth 3 story from Justice League 23.4. It is NOT the Earth 3 Joker.
okey dokey

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:44 AM   #79
silversurfur65
Side-Kick

If the CS is wreaking all kinds of havoc and trying to take over the planet, Why haven't the GL Corps shown up to try and stop them,(I haven't read the cross-overs, so maybe it's been explained)

silversurfur65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #80
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

The Corps seems to be having problems up in space right now with Lights Out. I'm hoping to see Hal come back soon though. I miss having him on the Justice League.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #81
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
The Corps seems to be having problems up in space right now with Lights Out. I'm hoping to see Hal come back soon though. I miss having him on the Justice League.
Yep...the GL books are hoppin' with stuff that keeps Jordan off planet. It never stops.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #82
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

Skimmed through Pandora #4 and saw enough to warrant a purchase so I went ahead and bought it. It was a pretty solid tie-in (loved the White Martian cameo). JLA #8 was also pretty damn good. We finally got a look into the prison the Leagues have been tossed into.

It's not necessarily a new concept especially if you're an older DC reader (it's yet another mental prison that preys on the JL's psychological fears) but it's definitely a fate worse than death and a plausible way for the CSA to properly take down the combined might of the JL, JLA and JLD.

A preview for Justice League #24 popped up this week and Ultraman's origin looks hilarious

can't wait to see what the Earth 3 Kents are like. Didn't think I'd ever see another Jonathan Kent as selfish and unaltruistic as Kevin Costner's especially this soon but I'm assuming that's what Geoff Johns is gonna deliver considering the nature of Ultraman.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Earth 2, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Old 10-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #83
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Skimmed through Pandora #4 and saw enough to warrant a purchase so I went ahead and bought it. It was a pretty solid tie-in (loved the White Martian cameo). JLA #8 was also pretty damn good. We finally got a look into the prison the Leagues have been tossed into.

It's not necessarily a new concept especially if you're an older DC reader (it's yet another mental prison that preys on the JL's psychological fears) but it's definitely a fate worse than death and a plausible way for the CSA to properly take down the combined might of the JL, JLA and JLD.

A preview for Justice League #24 popped up this week and Ultraman's origin looks hilarious

can't wait to see what the Earth 3 Kents are like. Didn't think I'd ever see another Jonathan Kent as selfish and unaltruistic as Kevin Costner's especially this soon but I'm assuming that's what Geoff Johns is gonna deliver considering the nature of Ultraman.
Not really understanding how Ultra man got as strong as he is....You cannot escape the yellow sun rays........even that stupid thing with pushing the moon around......there's always sunlight coming through..... And you talk about over a life time??? There's not enough Kryptonite around for him to eat and maintain his power.....

Last edited by Shazam; 10-18-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #84
HighFivingMF
Welp.

So I guess only those without super powers were left out of the prison. Batman, Catwoman, Constantine, and a suitless Cyborg.

And guess JLA #8 squashes the "It's Superman or Martian Manhunter wearing Batman's suit for reasons!" argument.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #85
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
So I guess only those without super powers were left out of the prison. Batman, Catwoman, Constantine, and a suitless Cyborg.

And guess JLA #8 squashes the "It's Superman or Martian Manhunter wearing Batman's suit for reasons!" argument.

I guess so!

Old 10-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #86
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

Thank you! and....I told you so!

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
BlackMagicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #87
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Not really understanding how Ultra man got as strong as he is....You cannot escape the yellow sun rays........even that stupid thing with pushing the moon around......there's always sunlight coming through..... And you talk about over a life time??? There's not enough Kryptonite around for him to eat and maintain his power.....
Nobody really understands as we haven't been told yet. Right now only assumptions could be made.

If the case with Superman always is that the sun gradually increases his strength while kryptonite quickly depletes it one can assume the opposite is how Ultraman's physiology works. In other words kryptonite slowly increases his strength when he's exposed to it.

By the same token exposure to the sun harms him almost instantaneously even if it doesn't immediately completely deplete him of his powers just like how kryptonite doesn't exorcise Supes powers right away despite causing him pain after immediate exposure. Which is likely why he was able to block the sun after being exposed to it in FE #1.

You can not escape the sun rays? there is night time where the rays are being blocked for a fraction of time and aren't as effective. Also he could've just pulled the same moon trick from FE #1 on his Earth quite early during his lifetime for all we know. Or Earth 3 being that it's so opposite from Prime Earth probably doesn't even have a yellow sun in it's galaxy and has a red one instead. Then again if that was the case Jor-Il wouldn't warn him to avoid sunlight as much as possible in the first place.

He also has Deathstorm on his side. I don't know but I think that if Firestorm could synthesize kryptonite his Earth 3 counterpart is likely capable of the same even if it seems like Ultraman's reliance on kryptonite is actually a secret he keeps from the rest of the CSA. He probably doesn't even need a great amount of it to achieve great strength just like how Supes doesn't need an overabundance of sunlight to achieve the same purpose. The keywords in his father's speech kind of hint at that. "The consumption of Kryptonite will empower your cells. But conserve this kryptonite carefully."

Last edited by Cain; 10-18-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #88
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nobody really understands as we haven't been told yet. Right now only assumptions could be made.

If the case with Superman always is that the sun gradually increases his strength while kryptonite quickly depletes it one can assume the opposite is how Ultraman's physiology works. In other words kryptonite slowly increases his strength when he's exposed to it.

By the same token exposure to the sun harms him almost instantaneously even if it doesn't immediately completely deplete him of his powers just like how kryptonite doesn't exorcise Supes powers right away despite causing him pain after immediate exposure. Which is likely why he was able to block the sun after being exposed to it in FE #1.

You can not escape the sun rays? there is night time where the rays are being blocked for a fraction of time and aren't as effective. Also he could've just pulled the same moon trick from FE #1 on his Earth quite early during his lifetime for all we know. Or Earth 3 being that it's so opposite from Prime Earth probably doesn't even have a yellow sun in it's galaxy and has a red one instead. Then again if that was the case Jor-Il wouldn't warn him to avoid sunlight as much as possible in the first place.

He also has Deathstorm on his side. I don't know but I think that if Firestorm could synthesize kryptonite his Earth 3 counterpart is likely capable of the same even if it seems like Ultraman's reliance on kryptonite is actually a secret he keeps from the rest of the CSA. He probably doesn't even need a great amount of it to achieve great strength just like how Supes doesn't need an overabundance of sunlight to achieve the same purpose. The keywords in his father's speech kind of hint at that. "The consumption of Kryptonite will empower your cells. But conserve this kryptonite carefully."
okey dokey

Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #89
Shazam
Side-Kick

Just read # 3.........and I must say that one of the must interesting things to see is just how much power the heroes hold back......

Superman does on and on with Shazam or Black Adam in their fights......Ultraman though????

WOW!!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #90
Shazam
Side-Kick

Makes me wonder how the villains will view the real League, when things get back to normal........They gotta know in the backs of their mind that any scuffle could be over immediately.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #91
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

I read #3 too and it is really good. I feel it not only expands upon Grant Morrison's Earth 2 but it also makes it a bit better by making the bad guys anti heroes. Luthor is still evil but he does need to save the world. Very good stuff.

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #92
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
I read #3 too and it is really good. I feel it not only expands upon Grant Morrison's Earth 2 but it also makes it a bit better by making the bad guys anti heroes. Luthor is still evil but he does need to save the world. Very good stuff.
In what way does this expand on Earth 2? I haven't been reading that book.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #93
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
In what way does this expand on Earth 2? I haven't been reading that book.
The concept is basically the same. The Crime Syndicate invades our Earth and someone has to stop them. I really recommend Earth 2, its fast and brilliant.

Some of them fell into Hell
NosfeRomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #94
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Not the current Earth 2 series. The pre-New 52 Earth 2 written by Grant Morrison.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #95
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

This could actually be a really good event. Better than a lot of recent Marvel events.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #96
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Not the current Earth 2 series. The pre-New 52 Earth 2 written by Grant Morrison.
Oh...okay

Old 11-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #97
Shazam
Side-Kick

Was anyone shocked at the out come of the Black Adam vs Ultraman fight??

Old 11-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #98
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Nope. It's just what is done to show how badass a Superman is. Johns did the same in Infinite Crisis.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #99
BlackMagicWolf
He who is BlackMagic

I am glad that Black Adam put up a good fight, he made him bleed at least. I'm surprised though that his magic lightning didn't do more. Superman is weak against magic, should we take it that Ultraman is not?

Check it out! Then check out our Facebook page! Also, we're on Twitter! @Guardians_Comic
BlackMagicWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #100
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Opposites in Effect I would think the magic strengthens him.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Hush is offline   Reply With Quote