The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Trek > Star Trek Into Darkness

Old 09-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #76
Soapy
It's happening again...

Default Re: Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
Is it really that hard to accept flaws in the older films? Really?
You said it yourself:

Quote:
Not a big deal.
It's not a matter of not being able to accept flaws in films, it's a matter of the flaw you're picking apart is so damn minor... who cares?

And I'm not even one of these people that put Wrath of Khan on a giant pedestal.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #77
Loki882
Side-Kick

So, JJ dropped a not so subtle hint that Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) may direct ST 3, which would be a great choice imo, thoughts?

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #78
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Is it really that hard to accept flaws in the older films? Really?
Its a minor flaw in the script that is easily fixed with a little bit of imagination. Its not about having a hard time accepting flaws. I accept and acknowledge that its a flaw, but as I'm watching I come up with my own little explanation for why Khan remembers Chekov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
You said it yourself:

It's not a matter of not being able to accept flaws in films, it's a matter of the flaw you're picking apart is so damn minor... who cares?

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Picard Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #79
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
So, JJ dropped a not so subtle hint that Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) may direct ST 3, which would be a great choice imo, thoughts?
I loved Rise of the Planet of the Apes, so this is exciting news!

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 09-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #80
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

My wife and I watched it again tonight...still great......

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:11 PM   #81
The Chris
The Dark Knight Rises!

Watched this again with my family, we love it still. We love what this team has done with Trek. Especially my father. He's been watching Trek since he was younger and he talked about how he loved how they played with The most memorable scenes from Wrath of Khan and found another meaning to it, and he loves how the characters have their own identities and their own feelings but they are still the people that we knew and loved from the series and first 6 films. Cumberbatch as Khan really impressed, especially considering how he doesn't really look like the original Khan at all but that doesn't matter because the talent and performance is so strong. Now when it comes to Trek yeah I love exploration and yeah I love philosophical topics and things like that but it's usually the television shows that I go to for that. It's always been the fun films in the film series that I liked the most, where intelligent themes and social statements were there but they were less obvious and hidden within awesome entertainment and I think Star Trek 09 and Star Trek Into Darkness are no different in that regard. There's just more bang now for our bucks. The one thing I always remember from the original series is that it entertained the hell out of me, and it gave me characters that I love, and that is still the deal for me with these new films.

4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. The Raid 2
The Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #82
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

I said on this forum that I thought all the speculation about Harrison being Khan was nuts. Obviously I was wrong.

It doesn't make any sense though. How the hell did Khan go from looking like Richardo Montalban to looking and sounding like a white British dude? The movie never explained it at all, and it seemed like the main reason Cumberbatch was cast in the role was in order to hide the character in the marketing and trailers, which falls flat for me because why should I get excited over Khan being in the movie when the actor playing him doesn't remotely look or talk like him? Kind of defeats the purpose of having him in the movie in the first place.

AndrewGilkison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #83
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Paramount needs a swift kick in the rear for how they butchered the Special Features on the Blu-ray.

That being said, this movie was amazing. I loved every minute of it. Hopefully the wait isn't that long for the next one.

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #84
The Navigator
Punch Punch Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post
I said on this forum that I thought all the speculation about Harrison being Khan was nuts. Obviously I was wrong.

It doesn't make any sense though. How the hell did Khan go from looking like Richardo Montalban to looking and sounding like a white British dude? The movie never explained it at all, and it seemed like the main reason Cumberbatch was cast in the role was in order to hide the character in the marketing and trailers, which falls flat for me because why should I get excited over Khan being in the movie when the actor playing him doesn't remotely look or talk like him? Kind of defeats the purpose of having him in the movie in the first place.
I read one theory that since he was put into Starfleet by Admiral Marcus, and presumably Khan is a pretty infamous holdover from the Eugenics Wars, he got reconstructive surgery to not be recognized?

Or Benedict Cumberbatch is a great actor and Ricardo Montalban was also not Indian, so...

The Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #85
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
I read one theory that since he was put into Starfleet by Admiral Marcus, and presumably Khan is a pretty infamous holdover from the Eugenics Wars, he got reconstructive surgery to not be recognized?

Or Benedict Cumberbatch is a great actor and Ricardo Montalban was also not Indian, so...
In TOS Kirk & Co certainly knew of Khan prior to Space Seed (even expressed a little admiration for him, much to Spock's bemusement), so it doesn't hurt for us assume he was given a surgical makeover by Marcus so he could go about completely unrecognised. Given his reputation, I guess he might be a comaparable figure to Hitler for notoreity, so not an ideal candidate to have running covert ops while wandering around Starfleet undisguised.

They could have thrown in just a little exposition to cover it though (a line or 2 of dialogue when Khan is recounting his tale to Kirk and going on about 'what would you be willing to do for your family' would have done it).

Not a huge deal for me though, one way or another.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #86
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

It is an alternative universe; they are allowed to create their own iteration(s) of characters and scenarios. The original series is still canon; for comic books, this notion of dual continuities is nothing new.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #87
Picard Sisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewGilkison View Post

The film takes place over 300 years into the future, so we can easily assume that he was given cosmetic surgery in addition to a name change to conceal his identity. And although he has a British accent, he has similar speech patterns to Ricardo Montalban's Khan. I can picture Cumberbatch speaking all of his lines in ST2: Wrath of Khan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post

Old 09-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #88
Loki882
Side-Kick

So, Khan and Adm. Marcus attacked the Klingons. Could Star Trek 3
s plot be a full-scale war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire? Call it Star Trek: The Shattered Peace.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #89
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
It is an alternative universe; they are allowed to create their own iteration(s) of characters and scenarios. The original series is still canon; for comic books, this notion of dual continuities is nothing new.
The problem with this line of thinking is that only things after Nero went back in time should be affected because that's where the split occurs. Khan was around way before then.

For the record I don't even care that much. I buy the "Khan got plastic surgery" theory. But not explaining his dramatically different appearance when it could have very easily been explained is one of the many valid criticisms of the sloppy writing in this movie.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #90
Picard Sisko

Khan explains that Admiral Marcus tried to conceal his identity by giving him the name, "John Harrison," but it would have been great if he discussed getting cosmetic surgery to change his appearance as well, or perhaps mentioned his Indian heritage.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #91
Loki882
Side-Kick

It would have been nice to get a line or to, but it's ultimately not THAT big a deal, so I could role with it. Benicio del Toro and Edgar Ramirez were JJ's preferred choices, so clearly he wanted a darker skinned actor. They couldn't do it, and a fantastic actor like Cumberbatch was interested, so JJ chose him, fine by me.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #92
Nathan

I watched this recently, and I enjoyed it a lot. Benedict Cumberbatch was just awesome as Khan. Loved watching him kick all that Klingon ass.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #93
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

This whole "Khan isn't Indian" thing is so stupid. Who gives a crap? His nationality isn't about zero percent important to the character. Not once in Space Seed nor Wrath is his nationality even made clear, let alone focused on.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #94
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

I get what's being said about Khan's physical appearance but if you're complaining about that then what about Pike looking different than he did on TOS? They're using different actors. Everybody looks different. Not everything needs an explanation.

Unless they got the science wrong and it was an already established alternate reality even before Nero arrived /nerdwank

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #95
Hush
Wee Little Puppet Man

Got my amazon Blu-ray today and can't wait to watch in Glorious HD, also my phaser is awesome.

Avvy by Hunter Rider.
Hush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #96
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I watched this recently, and I enjoyed it a lot. Benedict Cumberbatch was just awesome as Khan. Loved watching him kick all that Klingon ass.
That fight on Qronos was so awesome.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #97
Nathan

What actually happened to the red shirts that went down to the planet? When I saw them, at first I thought "You guys are goners.", but when Kirk ordered them to take off the shirts, I thought "Hey, you guys might make it after all.". But once all hell broke loose, you never see them again. You don't even see them get killed. They are just gone.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #98
Soapy
It's happening again...

Shhhh... you shouldn't point out flaws in the movie. People don't like that.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #99
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Shhhh... you shouldn't point out flaws in the movie. People don't like that.
Nah, what Nathan said is fine. It's the incessant and hypocritical whining some people don't like.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #100
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
What actually happened to the red shirts that went down to the planet? When I saw them, at first I thought "You guys are goners.", but when Kirk ordered them to take off the shirts, I thought "Hey, you guys might make it after all.". But once all hell broke loose, you never see them again. You don't even see them get killed. They are just gone.
Yeah, I noticed that too. And one of those guys was Cupcake, the guy Kirk fought with in the first movie. He's even listed that way in the credits.