The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 12-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Dances With The Wolfgang - The von Strucker Thread

So, rumors from pretty unreliable sources suggested today that Baron Wolfgang von Strucker will make an appearance in AoU. However, there seems to be at least some meat to it, but enough to get him is own Discussion Thread? Why not! It is not like we have any other newslike stuff to talk about. So let us talk about von Strucker. What kind of portrayayl would you prefer? Should he be the father of the Maximoff twins? lead the MoE?

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Dances With The Wolfgang - The von Strucker Thread

He should be the leader of HYDRA, having taken over after Red Skull disappeared. No, he should not be the Maximoff twins father, just their boss.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Mr. Dent

Sounds like he will only be a cameo in Avengers 2. Will probably just show up as a general of HYDRA named Von Strucker at the beginning. I would bet he'd have a bigger role in AOS than A2 (assuming AOS is still on the air by that time).

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
metaphysician
Side-Kick

As far as El Mayimbe "scoops" go, I would categorize this under "educated guess." Its a fairly reasonable scenario that fits the existing evidence, so it has a decent chance of being true. . . and it its not? Still has good odds of seeming close enough that people will treat it as an achievement, rather than guesswork.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Mr. Dent

It's been confirmed by Hitfix.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
Old 12-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
He should be the leader of HYDRA, having taken over after Red Skull disappeared. No, he should not be the Maximoff twins father, just their boss.
Yes.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #7
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Sounds like the Maximoffs are really going to be the Von Struckers.....i.e., Andrea and Andreas von Strucker, aka "Fenris." I could see where Joss could draw parallels there, but if it turns out to be the case, I'm honestly getting worried about Joss just wiping his ass with the comics.

I'll wait for more info, especially considering Eh Maybe's unreliability.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Mr. Dent

This doesn't mean he's their father it means they're working for him and Whedon is honoring the twins' history of being a part of a villain group before joining the Avengers. :/

Reminder I predicted this exact thing and for some reason you pooed it.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
This doesn't mean he's their father it means they're working for him and Whedon is honoring the twins' history of being a part of a villain group before joining the Avengers. :/

Reminder I predicted this exact thing and for some reason you pooed it.
When did you predict this, and when did I poo it? This isn't the sort of thing I would poo, and if there's one thing I know, it's poo.

Yeah, I knew full well that QS and SW would start out as baddies and turn goodies, and that would be canonical; but the question became what origins they'd get instead of the Brotherhood (which clearly couldn't be used because Fox yadda yadda). If Eh Maybe is right, we now know it's HYDRA, under Von Strucker.

And that's why I think Joss saw a parallel between the Maximoff twins and the Von Strucker twins, and chose to hang his hat on that. I don't think Von Strucker was chosen just because he was one of many HYDRA leaders over the years --- he could've just as easily gone with Viper (yes, he could have --- Feige discussed it around the time The Wolverine was coming out, and mentioned that Viper/Madam Hydra was one of those gray-areas between Fox and Marvel Studios, like Quicksilver), Zemo, The Contessa, Zola, Skully, or even Bob. Instead, Von Strucker was probably chosen to be a surrogate Magneto to the super-sibs.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:40 AM   #10
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sounds like he will only be a cameo in Avengers 2. Will probably just show up as a general of HYDRA named Von Strucker at the beginning. I would bet he'd have a bigger role in AOS than A2 (assuming AOS is still on the air by that time).
What if he has a bigger role in TWS as Alexander Pierce , and the Avengers finish the job at the beginning of AOU

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:06 AM   #11
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Quote:
This seems a lot more reasonable than the daddy Strucker business, not a fan of that idea at all. Unless the actual Strucker twins are involved, that'd be cool as hell. But Wanda & Pietro? No thanks.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I wouldn't mind if Von Strucker was Wanda & Pietro's adopted father having raised them after their mother died which is why they might feel a sense loyalty to him and carry out his villainous plans.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #13
AvengerPA
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I wouldn't mind if Von Strucker was Wanda & Pietro's adopted father having raised them after their mother died which is why they might feel a sense loyalty to him and carry out his villainous plans.
I think they are just his hired henchmen. After he is defeated, they escape and then need new employment. Strucker is just a disposable villain, easily forgotten after the Avengers defeat him.

AvengerPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvengerPA View Post
I think they are just his hired henchmen. After he is defeated, they escape and then need new employment. Strucker is just a disposable villain, easily forgotten after the Avengers defeat him.
I strongly doubt Von Strucker would be a "disposable villain."

Yes, the rumormonger described the role as similar to those 007 prologues, but other than actual screentime devoted to the character, I doubt it's an actual reflection of what AOU intends. Reason being, we know that HYDRA plays a major role in CATWS; we know that Feige and others have specifically said that CATWS hands the torch over to AOU, and "informs" AOU more than any of the other Phase II films; and we know that the Twins are going to be major players in the Avengers, crossing over from villain to hero.

Von Strucker himself won't be directly part of CATWS --- that film is already wrapping its reshoots, and the Von Strucker role (if any of this turns out to be accurate) is still just in early stages of casting, so there's not even a chance of a cameo in Cap's film --- but the HYDRA storyline developed there will be in full swing as AOU opens. That makes the leader of HYDRA a VIP in AOU, until Ultron takes the reins.

Making the Twins blood relatives of Von Strucker makes sense for a lot of reasons, not least of which is that it makes the story more personal and dramatic. There's not as much tension in a story about employees quitting their jobs, as opposed to children having to escape a sadistic and twisted father.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Sounds like the Maximoffs are really going to be the Von Struckers.....i.e., Andrea and Andreas von Strucker, aka "Fenris." I could see where Joss could draw parallels there, but if it turns out to be the case, I'm honestly getting worried about Joss just wiping his ass with the comics.

I'll wait for more info, especially considering Eh Maybe's unreliability.
wipe away Joss! Different universe, different relationships, different stories. I want to be surprised, not see a rehash of the comics ive read and reread. Whedon's too good a writer to be hamstrung by non-existent canon. The comics are reference material, nothing more.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
I like the idea that he adopted them, and they already had their powers. That way their biological father / power source is addressed, but left mysterious...yet they still can have loyalty issues.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

I could see Von Strucker adopting and using the Maximoff twins for his own ends but Wanda & Pietro not seeing it. Eventually the twins turn against realizing he didn't care about them and was just using them because of their powers.

Old 12-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #18
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
The adoption angle is an acceptable compromise. I still hope A&A will be involved though.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #19
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
When did you predict this, and when did I poo it? This isn't the sort of thing I would poo, and if there's one thing I know, it's poo.

Yeah, I knew full well that QS and SW would start out as baddies and turn goodies, and that would be canonical; but the question became what origins they'd get instead of the Brotherhood (which clearly couldn't be used because Fox yadda yadda). If Eh Maybe is right, we now know it's HYDRA, under Von Strucker.

And that's why I think Joss saw a parallel between the Maximoff twins and the Von Strucker twins, and chose to hang his hat on that. I don't think Von Strucker was chosen just because he was one of many HYDRA leaders over the years --- he could've just as easily gone with Viper (yes, he could have --- Feige discussed it around the time The Wolverine was coming out, and mentioned that Viper/Madam Hydra was one of those gray-areas between Fox and Marvel Studios, like Quicksilver), Zemo, The Contessa, Zola, Skully, or even Bob. Instead, Von Strucker was probably chosen to be a surrogate Magneto to the super-sibs.
Well, I really don't think Joss will do that, and I don't think it's even needed. Who their parents are is not a big deal, they can just be orphans. He doesn't have to force that issue at all and I don't think he will. Also, the point of Magneto being their father is because it was a shocking reveal and relevant for the fact that Magneto was such a big villain in the Marvel universe for years. Baron von Strucker sounds like a filler villain at best in this movie and it will be his first appearance, so revealing him to be their father holds no weight at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Human View Post
What if he has a bigger role in TWS as Alexander Pierce , and the Avengers finish the job at the beginning of AOU
I thought about this very briefly, then realized it's not possible because they're looking at different actors for the role. And I really don't see them playing it us as Pierce is wearing a fake mask to hide another man's face. That only works if he's Red Skull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
This seems a lot more reasonable than the daddy Strucker business, not a fan of that idea at all. Unless the actual Strucker twins are involved, that'd be cool as hell. But Wanda & Pietro? No thanks.
Yeah, that would be dumb and I don't see Joss doing it. Everything they've done so far with the characters in this film has made sense to me. That would be the first thing that I would see as just making no sense, needless, and a reach.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #20
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

I don't see it as a "reach." Yeah, it's not canon, of course, but we're certainly not going to get Magneto in the mix, so this would be a simple compromise that anyone in the audience could follow --- terrorist leader conducts genetic experiments on his own kids, tries to make them ubermenschen for the master race, pits them against the Avengers, who turn the kids into heroes who fight for their freedom from their mad father. It blends nicely the backstories of Wanda & Pietro with Fenris, and it's a helluva lot more dramatic and engrossing than just having the twins be some random superschmucks who just work for this neo-Nazi goonball.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #21
Loki882
Side-Kick

There's no way that Strucker is just a throw-away villain. Even if he's defeated in the pre-credit scene in Avengers, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he pops up again in future movies (maybe Captain America 3). He's too big a villain not to.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #22
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

I wouldn't mind see him in AoU.

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
Mr. Dent

Quote:
There's no way that Strucker is just a throw-away villain. Even if he's defeated in the pre-credit scene in Avengers, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he pops up again in future movies (maybe Captain America 3). He's too big a villain not to.
I was talking about this movie not future movies. I already said in a couple posts above I believe the character will have a bigger role on AOS than this movie if AOS is still on the air.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #24
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Maybe Quicksilver will also be bald like Strucker, just like the comic version had white hair like Magneto. Johnson did seem to hint before that he wasn't too keen on the classic white hair. Maybe he'll be more into shaving his head.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Not happening. And Johnson has no say in the matter on what his hair looks like.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote