The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 11-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
The Batman
Masked Manhunter

Default The Most Disappointing CBM franchises

When you look a certain franchises body of work, which ones disappoint you the most? I'd have to say:

1. Superman: The Quintessential Superhero hasn't had a good film since 1981, and for this reason, he's my number one. Due to bad decisions, inactivity, bad films like Superman III and IV, and middling ones like SR and MOS, Superman has lost a bit of relevancy these past few years.

2. Fantastic Four: The First Family of Marvel has received shoddy treatment. Instead of capturing the wild imagination of the comics, Tim Story's films feel more like lame CBS sitcoms, and the less said about the upcoming film, the better.

3. Thor: Has yet to have a truly memorable film, and I say this as someone who enjoyed the first movie.

4. Spider-Man: The first two Raimi films are undeniable classics....which is why its a shame that this franchise hasn't had a good movie in about a decade. The Spider-Man films are fast losing relevancy due to the mediocre reboot series. Spider-Man is the crown jewel of Marvel, so Sony shouldnt make the same mistakes WB has with Superman.

There's more I could list, but that was off the top of my head...

Old 11-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #2
regnak
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Most Disappointing CBM franchises

Green Lantern it could and should have been so much better.

regnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
The Batman
Masked Manhunter

^ We're talking about Superheroes who've disappointed with multiple films, not one.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Blackman
C'mon Son

Superman and Spider-Man.

In my opinion Spider-Man for sure hasnt had his definitive/great film that X-Men, Batman, and some others have had. SPider-Man 1 doesnt hold up that well imo and SP2 is cool and fun, but the characterization of Peter Parker and some other characters is meh.

Also, and I know this isnt a popular opinion, but Superman hasnt gotten a really good film. The Donner series doenst hold up that well. Reeves is a good Superman but the movie itself isnt that good

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Superman and Spider-Man.

In my opinion Spider-Man for sure hasnt had his definitive/great film that X-Men, Batman, and some others have had. SPider-Man 1 doesnt hold up that well imo and SP2 is cool and fun, but the characterization of Peter Parker and some other characters is meh.

Also, and I know this isnt a popular opinion, but Superman hasnt gotten a really good film. The Donner series doenst hold up that well. Reeves is a good Superman but the movie itself isnt that good
Can't disagree w any of this

Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #6
SilentWarriorZ
lemonidas

The fantastic4 1 & 2 were lame and Disappointing

Thor 1 & 2 were Disappointing too

Ironman 2 and 3 were pretty boring consider to Ironman 1

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Visualiza
What is a yout?

I'm not sure whether Ghost Rider fits into this category or that it's just an awful franchise outright, but it's the first that came to mind for some reason. For that matter, I think of the Punisher in the same light.

Aside from what's already been mentioned, I'm gonna have to go with Blade. I really enjoyed the first two movies, but when I look at the heights reached more recent franchises (X-Men, TDK, MCU), I can't help but think that Blade was...unrealized. They had a good run, but that franchise could have been so much more.

Last edited by Visualiza; 11-29-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Spider-Man all the way. The TASM franchise has driven Spidey so far into the ground that Sony is desperate enough to do stupid villain spin offs to try and save it.

Superman would be second. Even though Superman 3 and 4 were weak, at least there was Chris Reeve who is always watchable as the definitive Superman actor.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
First Avenger
Side-Kick

Spider-Man and FF definately.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
Rorschach2012
$

i like GL 2011 now, but that was by far the most disappointing comic book movie I've seen. i had such high hopes, he's one of my favorite characters. he deserved something more serious.

ASM2 was disappointing as well

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #11
Steamteck
Side-Kick

I guess GL is the most disappointing followed by fantastic four.

Individual disappointing movies within a franchise top billing goes to IM3 for me but the series overall is far from disappointing . IM is excellent and IM2 is pretty good with lots of lost potential.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
schereZada
Side-Kick

Hi there everyone

Spider-man for sure. Both series.

The second Raimi movie is a classic but the third one was poop.

I really liked most of TASM1. I thought this series was gonna turn interesting finally with a superior sequel, but TASM2 was super-poop.

Cheers.

schereZada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
Keehar
Banned User

Superman, excluding Superman 1 and II.

The first Batman franchise in the late 80's and 90's.

Ghost Rider.

Keehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
Iron_Stark
Y'all just got Tranked

Fantastic Four

Punisher

Ghost Rider

_PART I____PART II
MAY 2018__MAY 2019
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

MCU. A tacky gimmick concept filled with a slew of mediocre films.

Old 11-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #16
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Superman for me. The first one is a classic. The second one a mess of different edits going around. The third stinks. The fourth reeks. Superman Returns is...Superman Returns. Man of Steel is decent but not earth shattering. For such an iconic character, his cinematic treatment has been poor.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
Your dead man walking to many other posters after saying that.I can understand why you say that.

My picks would be

Iron man-after very good film a medicore followup and even worse third film

DCCU-Man of steel Is very meh to me.Hopefully BVS Is better

Thor-2 films of mixed results for me

FF-even though i am one remaing postive for reboot till I actully see something

Old 11-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #18
schereZada
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Superman for me. The first one is a classic. The second one a mess of different edits going around. The third stinks. The fourth reeks. Superman Returns is...Superman Returns. Man of Steel is decent but not earth shattering. For such an iconic character, his cinematic treatment has been poor.
Howdy, AnneFan.

Back in the 80's the problem was that they only thought of one movie at a time. If it was successful then they would make a new one. But since they only had one shot, they'd put all his ideas at once and then they'd try to replicate the formula. That happened to Superman and Batman; their sequels became less and less interesting. Nowadays they keep the best for the sequels and the first movies is just to establish the characters and give us some action. They think in terms of trilogies (even if they can't make the three of them).

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post

Hi, Squaremaster316.

Heheheh, I know what you mean. Some of them are good though. But I think they found a formula that they keep replicating. It was clear to me when I saw Thor, directed by Kenneth Branagh himself, and it didn't feel a Branagh movie at all (except that they kept speaking like in a Shakesperian play ). In fact, not too different from Thor 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Your dead man walking to many other posters after saying that.I can understand why you say that.

My picks would be

Iron man-after very good film a medicore followup and even worse third film

DCCU-Man of steel Is very meh to me.Hopefully BVS Is better

Thor-2 films of mixed results for me

FF-even though i am one remaing postive for reboot till I actully see something
How's it going, marvelrobbins.

I think I agree with everything you said.

Cheers.

schereZada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:30 AM   #19
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

OK it didn't start out as a comic series but it sure has hell has been adapted enough in comics. I'm talking about the Alien franchise. The first two films are excellent but 3, Resurrection, the two AVP movies and Prometheus were all utter ****e.

Spider-Man is fine for for me, 1, 2 and the ASM are great where as 3 and ASM2 were horrible. 3 out of 5 is a very good return.

THE DC TV UNIVERSE
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:20 AM   #20
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
OK it didn't start out as a comic series but it sure has hell has been adapted enough in comics. I'm talking about the Alien franchise. The first two films are excellent but 3, Resurrection, the two AVP movies and Prometheus were all utter ****e.

Spider-Man is fine for for me, 1, 2 and the ASM are great where as 3 and ASM2 were horrible. 3 out of 5 is a very good return.
I largely agree with you on Alien and Spider-man.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #21
Doctor Octopus
Side-Kick

The Amazing Spider-Man franchise. Out of four villains they didn't do one well. They ruined the Goblin story, The death of the Staceys was done poorly too. I don't like Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, and most of his puns as Spider-Man are cringey not funny.

Doctor Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #22
meanmc
Side-Kick

1. Fantastic Four

I am no big fan of this franchise, but maybe they would get me, if they would make finally ONE good F4 movie.
Till now every F4 movie was more than disappointing, really aweful!

2. Superman

If you see, that Superman is the most beloved superhero of them all, it is really disappointing, that most of the movies a not better than average!
The latest reboot was also a disappointment, although i think, that the new Superman actor is no bad choice.
Normally every Superman movie should be "the best movie around"!

3. Spiderman

If it was just for the Raimi movies, the spider would not be listed here - but the new Amazing series changed that. Horrible to watch... and that leaves a "dark shadow" over the whole franchise!

4. Thor

Although i like both movies, it is a little bit disappointing, that they present Thor as such a "weak" character. I think someone with Marvel does not like Thor...
Looking at the anime series "Marvel Avengers", where Thor is indeed mighty, it is strange to watch the MCU movies... (as with Avenger movie)

meanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #23
The Endless
WE are Groot

Thor most definitely. Out of all the Avengers Thor has the most cinematic potential, by far. We're talking sweeping epics. Lord of the Rings crossed with Star Wars.

But his films are basically chick flicks or rom/coms. The first one had good character arcs for the 2 leads though.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #24
Blackman
C'mon Son

Didnt even think of Thor. Yeah I agree.
I get why the first one was the way it was, but TDW shouldve been a lot more epic

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Superman and Spider-Man.

Can't agree with any of this.

I love the Donner Superman films - they're still the only good let alone great ones in an overall disappointing cinematic franchise and I enjoyed both Raimi Spider-Man with #2 even with it's MJ problems as one of the best in the genre.

Most disappointing?

Superman
post 1 & 2 and the FF4 and I'm not expecting to enjoy anything from either in the near future.

I'm underwhelmed by the X-Men with even X2 for me just being OK with one fantastic set piece but of them only X3 is really bad.

The nadir of Superhero franchises though is Ghost Rider. Just dreadful.

Worst successive three movies from a franchise and it's loose spin-offs.

Batman Forever, Batman & Robin and Catwoman
Superman 3 & 4
and Supergirl.

Last edited by TalismanRing; 11-30-2014 at 11:55 AM.
TalismanRing is online now   Reply With Quote