The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 09-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #76
Frico
Live by the creed

Default Re: The Tennis Thread - Part 3

Nadal comes in and puts a great volley away for 15-15. 3 points away.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Frico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #77
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

If the 2010 Davis Cup was the emergence of the New Novak Djokovic, then the 2013 US Open is the return of the old Novak Djokovic. It's fitting that it's taking place in New York, where he's left about three Slam titles on the table.

Huge credit to Nadal for being crafty, never stopped fighting. He hung around, let Djokovic hit his winners and his errors, and then he won the critical points as he is prone to do.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #78
Frico
Live by the creed

Championship point arrives for Rafa after Novak can't return serve.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 09-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #79
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Nadal is now 60-3 on the year. Ten titles. Undefeated on hardcourts. And has again won the French and US Opens in the same year, which is kinda rare.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #80
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

It's hard to imagine that seven months ago we were wondering if he was eer going to return. Now he's about to be World No. 1 after essentially missing two Slams. Unbelievable

Old 09-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #81
Frico
Live by the creed

HELLO NUMBER 13 AND NEW WORLD NUMBER #1 RAFAEL NADAL!!!

A great match that had it's moments but it wasn't the epic that was their Aussie/French clash but still enjoyed this one. This was really Rafa's US Open and year overall. Djoker couldn't get most of his shots to click especially in the fourth and as we've said time and time again - Nadal just too good. Remember folks, he was fishing this time last year.

Amazing return for Rafa to win two majors, be undefeated on the hardcourts and seal it with being back to number #1. For Djoker, well...He did play like number #2 tonight. Just looked visibly frustrated and Nadal extends their H2H.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #82
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Didn't see the match but glad to see Rafa won.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #83
Frico
Live by the creed

Loved Rafa's celebration. You always see how much it means to him.

One thing Carillo did say earlier in the match was that Rafa has taken part in three of the most epic matches on all surfaces. I agree there. The Aus Open final against Djoker as well as the French this year and Wimby against Fed. He's the Shawn Michaels of tennis!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #84
Frico
Live by the creed

Next up Davis Cup. Already looking forward to Nole vs. Raonic. (Not official but expected)

Old 09-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #85
Mondragon
Side-Kick

What a great comeback, from defeated, broken and disappearing off the map, to crawling back on clay and rise to the top here, he had to learn how to beat Novak #1, physically and mentally get him out of his head.
He did it.

Vamos!

Now someone has to tell him his insane with the giant towels.

Last edited by Mondragon; 09-09-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #86
Frico
Live by the creed

Yeah it's amazing how ever since Monte Carlo he hasn't lost a match to Nole.

I already can't wait for the Aus to do this all over again. Need my Majors fix.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #87
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post
HELLO NUMBER 13 AND NEW WORLD NUMBER #1 RAFAEL NADAL!!!
Actually, i believe Novak is still #1 by 120 points

Who called it? I DID!!! http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=900 Bravo Rafa! That's what i call a comeback, wow.

I think this sums up why Rafa does what he does: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/24011206
Quote:
PARTY TIME?
When asked if he would be taking a few days off to celebrate his triumph, Nadal replies: "No, I play Davis Cup." That just about sums the guy up. A rare breed.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #88
Frico
Live by the creed

Well he's number one in my mind.

And yeah I read the other day he planned on playing Davis Cup against Ukraine. Beast.

Can't wait to watch Nole's presser, lol.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #89
Frico
Live by the creed

Also, considering Bim called it straight up - she wins the thread.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #90
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Also, considering Bim called it straight up - she wins the thread.
What do i win? Rafa?

Man, was i happy i got to see the last 2 sets. I'll have to catch a repeat though, i want to see the whole thing. Hopefully my ESPN repeats it somewhere down the line, like they tend to do. I was glued to the tv, i didnt even turn on my laptop until i was done jumping around lol.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p

Last edited by Bim; 09-09-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #91
Frico
Live by the creed

Novak presser:
Quote:
For the third time in four years Novak Djokovic came up short in the US Open final. Tonight in a four-set thriller Djokovic was denied by rival Rafael Nadal 62, 36, 64, 61 as the Spaniard won his 13th career Grand Slam.

After dropping the first set Djokovic regained his footing in the second then held a break lead in the third before stumbling. Nadal went on to win 12 of the last 15 games.

Djokovic addressed the press afterward:

Q. I can’t remember seeing a player play as well as you did in the third set and yet not win the set. How hard was that to take?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Yeah, it was disappointing that I dropped the third set, even though I felt like especially in first four, five games I was the one who was, you know, dictating the play. But it’s all my fault, you know. I made some unforced errors in the crucial moments with forehands and dropped the serve twice when I should not have. You know, next thing you know, all of a sudden it’s two sets to one for him. Then he started playing much, much better after that, and, you know, I obviously could not recover after that loss.

Q. How disappointing is that loss?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, it is. It’s US Open final, and Grand Slam finals are I mean, in the end of the day I have to be satisfied with the final, even though I would have loved to win this match tonight. But it was obvious that in the important moments he played better tennis, and that’s why he deserved to win. I congratulate him, and I move on.

Q. The three break points you had at 4-all, was it just hard kind of mentally and emotionally to get past that?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I mean, it’s like it was a momentum change out there from Love 40, 4 All third set, he started playing really good. He served well few points. I didn’t do anything I felt wrong in these few points. He didn’t make a mistake. He served well. He came to the net. As I said, you know, all the credit to him. I had my momentum from midway second set to end of the third where I was supposed to, you know, use and realize the opportunities that were presented to me, and I didn’t do it. I didn’t deserve to win in the end.

Q. Obviously you’re disappointed in losing. Just wonder if you could appreciate the high level of tennis that was played out there. Obviously the fans loved it. Just some great shots. Can you grasp that, or is the loss too much right now?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I just right now I just came from the court, so it’s of course I do appreciate the occasion playing against Nadal in the finals of one of the best tournaments and most important tournaments in the world. So I’m aware of that. But obviously I just feel disappointed for losing. It’s all sport. You know, tomorrow is a new day.

Q. Is it right to think you may be missing just a little bit of confidence?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I don’t know. I mean, I was playing well throughout the whole two weeks, and I can be happy because it was different from the hard court tournaments prior to US Open. I felt more mentally present and was going for my shots, so at least that’s a positive that I can take from this tournament.

Q. You just came off the court, as you said. You won six slams yourself. When you think about 13 for Rafa, can you kind of give me an assessment of what you feel like that stands for in the history of the game and maybe appreciation as an opponent?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, 13 Grand Slams for a guy who is 27 years old is incredible. I mean, whatever he achieved so far in his career is something that everybody should respect, no question about it. I mean, I was saying before, he’s definitely one of the best tennis players ever to play the game, I mean, looking at his achievements and his age, at this moment, you know. He still has a lot of years to play, so that’s all I can say.

Q. We could all see how physically demanding this match was for both of you. But could you describe the mental challenge of staying focused and staying positive against a player like Nadal and in a match with so many swings of momentum?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Difficult conditions. Obviously there was one side where you had wind in the back and it was easier to play. But still, it was the same for both me and my opponent today. It’s a physical match, and we both knew coming into this final that we are gonna have to be fresh and ready to play long rallies. On the other hand, it’s finals of a Grand Slam, so I think just that fact tells you enough of how mental this match is in the end of the day, you know, because it’s a huge challenge but also motivation for both me and him.

Q. Did you feel focused from the first ball today?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I was trying to. I mean, I wasn’t playing at a top of the level that I know how to play throughout the whole match, because credit to my opponent, he was making me run. You know, I had my ups and downs, but this is all sport. It’s something that is expected, you know, because it’s a huge occasion. There is a lot of tension, a lot of expectations, and it’s normal to have ups and downs. But, you know, you use this as experience. You know, it’s another match, another tournament for me, and hopefully I can take the best out of it.

Q. Rafa was asked after the semifinal if he looked forward to the prospect of facing you in the final, and he said no. He elaborated, frankly, I wish I would play a player who would be easier. He said, let’s be honest. Do you feel the same way when you are presented with that opportunity to play him on that stage, or do you feel this is an opportunity to play one of the best players of all time at the height of his game and see where it takes you in your game?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: It is a challenge you have to accept, like it or not. That’s my view. I mean, I try always to take one match at a time with that positive kind of mindset, you know, keep myself in the present moment, and, you know, of course I follow all the top players, how they do throughout the tournament. But, you know, my main focus is on my next opponent. That’s what I prepare for. It was likely that I’m going to play him in the finals because he was a favorite in the opposite side of the draw. But still you never know. It’s a Grand Slam. All the players, not just me and him, are very much motivated and inspired to play their best here. In the end of the day, we played against each other, and, you know, the better player won. That’s all it is.

Q. Could you tell me about just the experience, incredibly long rallies in the second set, and if you have memories of it in relation to other points in your career?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, I mean, I played especially against Rafa on different surfaces and different occasions points like this where you just feel that there is the last drop of energy that you need to use in order to win the point. Sometimes I was winning those points; sometimes him. It’s what we do when we play against each other, always pushing each other to the limit. That’s the beauty of our matches and our rivalry, I guess, in the end.

Q. If you look back at your Grand Slam season, what is the dominating feeling?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I mean, I wish I won at least one title more, considering the fact I played two finals. All the matches I lost, even the French Open. I had that match. I lost it again in semis. Overall, it was again very successful Grand Slam year for me. That’s something that I always try to have in the back of my mind, you know, to set my own shape for the biggest ones, for major tournaments. That’s where I want to play my best in. As I said, I wish there was another title, but it is what it is.

Q. Three years ago you sit here and you lost last time against Nadal Grand Slam on a hard court. I will cite your words. This was so frustrating a little bit. He’s getting better each time you play him. He’s mentally so strong and dedicated to the sport. After you achieved one of the amazing year in the tennis history, you move to No. 1. How do you think this time you can turn around again this frustration to extra motivation for next year?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I have to (smiling). It’s part of my life. I mean, many times you fall as an athlete, and, you know, you have to learn the lesson and keep on going, keep on fighting, keep on improving. That’s what we are here for. I’m still 26, and I believe best time for my career is about to come. I feel that. I believe that. As long as I believe it, the fire of the love towards the game is inside of me. And as long as that’s present, as long as I feel it, I’m going to play this sport with all my heart, as I did in last 10 years.

Q. Could you say anything at all about the No. 1 ranking, which is going to be pretty difficult, number of points you’re defending and the number of points isn’t.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: What can I say? He won so much this year. I’m still No. 1 of the world in the rankings, but year to year he’s far, far ahead, and he has much more chances to end up as No. 1. Look, you know, there is still tournaments to go. So we’ll see. I just try to prepare myself for China.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #92
Frico
Live by the creed

Tennis Channel will reair the final tomorrow night at 8pm if you have it , Bim.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #93
Harley2004
Side-Kick

That 3rd set was amazing. That set alone, show so much about Rafa, and why he probably the best ever. How the hell did he win that set?

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #94
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

About the rankings, Nadal is going to be World No. 1. It is inevitable because he is defending zero points the rest of the way. Djokovic will have to improve dramatically his already very good results from last fall. All but impossible.

That post presser was very classy from Djokovic. Thanks for the transcript, Frico. I'm not sure if he was just on autopilot or what, but the match was on his racquet today and he played terribly on the big points. He played a very loose match so I can understand the errors, but he didn't measure his play from point to point. He didn't have emotional control, and he looked like the guy who had every chance to win the Open from 2007-2010 but was done in by junk ball, gutsy defense, and timely shot-making from Federer and Nadal.

He had no answer for the slice Nadal was feeding his backhand except to weakly serve it up crosscourt for Nadal's forehand finisher. It killed him for a set and half and then again later in the match. It wasn't until Nadal was chopping it and not driving through it was Djokovic able to attack it as the ball sat up. Djokovic had little success attacking Nadal's short balls which should have been his death knell ala Darcis at Wimbledon, but Djokovic would either stay back and hit off his shoe tops or he would step up and try to put it away. Didn't think he tried to really hit a quality approach shot all day and construct a real net point. He also never challenged Nadal to hit his backhand pass down the line, giving him crosscourt passing looks that he made repeatedly. His finest moments at net came when Nadal drew him in with drop shots. The exact moments when he didn't have time to think, only react.

This is not to take away from what Nadal did. He won with variety, he won the first set by bludgeoning his down the line forehand, and after that shot had abandoned him for a set and a half he still had the balls to hit it again to win the third set. He was amazing in an old, crafty way. He won against his toughest rival without his best stuff in a best of five match. That's incredible.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #95
kit1982
Side-Kick

I know I'm like an old record,but for the last time this year I will present to you BBC Tennis commentator Andrew Castle's comments just before the start of the 2013 Wimbledon final

" I think the time has come where the top bracket of Mens Tennis has moved on from Roger Federer and even Rafael Nadal......."

All credit to Nadal, the story is that of a movie. One of those guys out there looked a Champion and the other looked a pretender, after throwing away the 3rd set last night and the 2nd in the Wimbo final maybe Chokervic is a more apt name for Nole.

Last edited by kit1982; 09-10-2013 at 02:56 AM.
kit1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #96
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Tennis Channel will reair the final tomorrow night at 8pm if you have it , Bim.
Aah sadly i dont have that channel, but i'm keeping my eyes on my ESPN, hopefully they'll repeat it like they always do and i'll be able to watch it without the tress lol

Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #97
Frico
Live by the creed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Aah sadly i dont have that channel, but i'm keeping my eyes on my ESPN, hopefully they'll repeat it like they always do and i'll be able to watch it without the tress lol
Either way - hope you get to see it in it's entirety.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #98
Frico
Live by the creed

Novak posted this earlier today at 2pm:

Quote:
“There R good days & bad days. It’s important to keep fighting and believing.Back on court. #DavisCup #GoSRB

Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #99
Frico
Live by the creed

Some confirmed matches for the Davis Cup World Group semis and Playoffs:

World Group - Serbia vs Canada:

Djokovic vs Pospisil and Raonic vs Tipseravic

Argentina vs Czech Republic:

Monaca vs Stepanek and Berdych vs Mayer

Playoffs - Great Britain vs Croatia

Murray vs Coric and Dodig vs Evans

Spain vs Ukraine

Nadal vs Stakhovsky and Verdasco vs Dolgopolov

______

Obviously due to Cilic's suspension they had to replace him and chose 16 year old Borna Coric to play Murray. Coric is coming off a win at NY by claiming the US Open junior title - so it's good experience for him.

Tennis Channel starts Davis Cup coverage with Serbia vs Canada at 9am tomorrow but I may have to catch the 8pm replay of Friday's action as I'll be busy during the day. For the rest I'll probably nab a stream as some of the matches may be worth the watch.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #100
Frico
Live by the creed

Nadal beat Stakhovsky 60-60-64. What effort. Spain up 2-0.

I caught the end of the second rubber for Serbia/Canada between Tipseravic and Raonic - naturally it wouldn't be Davis Cup without there being a 5 set epic and that's exactly what happened in this match with Raonic winning 10-8 in the 5th.

Crushing defeat for Tipsy in front of his home crowd but huge win for Raonic who'll take on Djoker tomorrow.

Also funny how Murray, Nadal and Djoker all handed out bagels of their own to their opponents today.